Designer dreams: Aussie mums turn wardrobes into cash cows with these fun methods!

The world of online retail is a treasure trove of opportunities for those with a sharp eye and a knack for business.

With the rise of online marketplaces, a new wave of entrepreneurial spirit has emerged, offering insights into how everyday people are capitalising on fashion trends to generate income.

This is the case for one Aussie mum, who made this digital marketplace her goldmine.

Summer, a mum of three, has mastered the art of flipping designer clothes on eBay, turning it into a lucrative career that netted her an impressive $102,000 last year alone.

Her journey into the world of reselling began in 2020 amidst the global upheaval caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

With a background in fashion and a history of entrepreneurial ventures, she was no stranger to the demands of business.

Her previous experiences included modelling and running a model agency for over 12 years, giving her an intimate knowledge of brands that would prove invaluable in her new venture.

photo_20240709_092843_0000.png
Australian mum Summer earned $102,000 last year by reselling designer clothing on eBay. Credit: Instagram / @theprofitcollective

The turning point came in May when Summer stumbled upon a secondhand Zimmermann Moonshine Scoop Dress, a stunning gold and white midi dress that originally retailed for $695.

She purchased the dress for $180 and, with a keen sense of the market, listed it on eBay.

Within just two days, the dress sold for $380 to a customer in the United States, netting Summer a quick $200 profit.

Her swift resale amazed many followers, though others were angered and urged her to stop ‘ripping people off’.

‘Thank you for showing this video to the world, so we know how to avoid sellers like you who want to grab our hard worked money! Now I understand much better the value of thrifting,’ one furiously commented.

‘Awesome! Love how you threw that $300 in a plastic bag like they bought it on Shein,’ another critic said.

Despite these, the 44-year-old seemed unfazed and shared that the buyer of the dress gave ‘glowing reviews’.

She reveals her flipping techniques on her social media account @theprofitcollective and educates others on earning money online.

With her sharp attention to detail, she earned $24,000 in her initial three months of starting this side hustle during the COVID-19 pandemic.

She meticulously selects specific designer brands that she knows will perform well, such as Shona Joy, Alemais, Ted Baker, and Zimmermann.

Other brands that have found their way through her eBay store include Aje, Lucy Folk, and Mister Zimi.

She has also learned which brands to avoid, having ceased selling Scotch & Soda, Tigerlily, Seed, Tree Of Life, and Peter Alexander due to a lack of customer interest.

Summer recognised the need to increase her income and turned to reselling, touting it as a ‘huge opportunity’ for Australians seeking additional income on the side.

Now, she operates the business on a full-time basis, dedicating hours to sourcing, listing, and reselling items for profit without the eBay fees, packaging, and shipping expenses.

‘This is not my first business. I've had quite a few. [I've] never had a “real” job in my life unless you could those three months as a lifeguard at Wet N Wild when I was 17!’ Summer shared on one of her social media posts.

‘I have a pretty solid understanding of business on many levels. I've always self-managed and so, being consistent and self-motivating is not new.’

‘I've been in the fashion industry my whole adult life. I was a model for eight years and I also currently own a model agency which I have run for over 12 years, so I know brands more than your average joe,’ she added.

Summer also supplements her income by renting out her designer wardrobe at a fraction of the outfit's original price.

However, Summer isn't the only one making a splash in the world of designer clothes reselling.

Johanna Sabaliauskas, a nurse and mum of two, has found her niche renting out her designer wardrobe.

With dresses that had only been worn a few times to special events, Johanna saw an opportunity.

She began renting out her gowns on The Volte, a platform that allows users to hire designer outfits for a fraction of their retail price.

‘I had all these dresses sitting in my wardrobe that I didn't want to get rid of, so I thought, why not give it a go?’ Johanna shared.

Johanna's initiative has proven to be a success, with her earning $60,000 in one financial year.

Her customers can enjoy wearing luxury dresses for events and return them by mail, after which Johanna ensures they are dry-cleaned and ready for the next person.

The cost of purchasing one of the outfits ranges from $450 to $1,500, whereas the rental price varies from $75 to $220, depending on the brand.

Similar to Johanna, a university student in Brisbane also earned $30,000 a month by renting out her collection of almost 200 high-end dresses in The Volte.

This alternative method reveals how everyday wardrobes can hold surprising potential for significant monthly earnings.

These stories underscore the diverse ways individuals are leveraging fashion assets to generate substantial income in today's digital marketplace
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian mum named Summer made significant income by reselling designer clothing on eBay, with a total turnover of $102,000 last year.
  • Summer successfully flipped a secondhand Zimmermann dress for $200 more than her purchase price, selling it to a customer in the US within two days.
  • Despite some backlash from those who view her reselling as unfairly profiting, Summer continues her business and shares her flipping insights on social media.
  • Aside from reselling, another entrepreneurial mum, Johanna Sabaliauskas, boosts her income by renting out her designer wardrobe, making $60,000 in one financial year through a platform called The Volte.
So, what's stopping you from turning your hidden gems into a profitable enterprise? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below. Have you ever flipped an item for profit, or are you considering giving it a go? We'd love to hear your stories!

Sponsored
I knew a woman who did this sort of thing 30 years ago. She would go through the weekly Trading Post, select certain items for purchase then resell them later for a profit.

The old fella across the road used to buy discarded lawn mowers from the local tip for a song, refurbish them and put them up for resale.

Even I jumped on the bandwagon by inheriting "dead" washing machines. About 90% of washing machines had the same problem - a jammed drain pump impeller courtesy of anything from a 10 cent coin to a bra underwire. Sell them for a few hundred dollars for 15 minutes work!

Heaps of little tricks out there to make extra money if you put a little thought into it.

I knew a woman who did this sort of thing 30 years ago. She would go through the weekly Trading Post, select certain items for purchase then resell them later for a profit.

The old fella across the road used to buy discarded lawn mowers from the local tip for a song, refurbish them and put them up for resale.

Even I jumped on the bandwagon by inheriting "dead" washing machines. About 90% of washing machines had the same problem - a jammed drain pump impeller courtesy of anything from a 10 cent coin to a bra underwire. Sell them for a few hundred dollars for 15 minutes work!

Heaps of little tricks out there to make extra money if you put a little thought into it.
And you were saving the planet as well 🌏:)

If the demand wasn't there, there would be no supply. Lady is just selling stuff like any other business person. Fulfilling a need so to speak.

Not that I would be shelling out shekels for one. I would look a bit wrong wearing a dress at Bunnings. You know, with the beard and all. Hairy legs etc.....

I remember my first business venture. I was about 7 years old. Used to hop the back fence into the drive-in theatre at night. Collect all the bottles dropped out of cars and return to the canteen for the amount the canteen used to give us for collecting/tidying up if you like. Got so good at it that a couple of times the bottle never hit the ground. Grabbed it before. 😎

One night in the mid - late 50's had my best ever. Took home a 10 Bob note after stuffing myself with lollies from the canteen. Almost got a belting from the old man for spending up on the lollies till I showed the note to him. Wages were pretty lousy for Dad and he was left speechless.

Tried the same thing one day instead of night when having a boring day. Thought me and a mate could scour the speakers, collect bottles in the bags, then hide the bags in a lonely spot next to the house fences and get paid the next night. Only trouble was the local copper in his ute came in and chased us. My mate got caught and I got away under a fence and hid in the scrub. Copper threatened to lock up my mate if I didn't come out. So I gave myself up. After a lecture he let us go. Too scared to see if there was a smile on his dial, but these days I reflect and think there might have been a sparkle in his eyes.

Yeah, just business. All manner of things some want.

If the demand wasn't there, there would be no supply. Lady is just selling stuff like any other business person. Fulfilling a need so to speak.

Not that I would be shelling out shekels for one. I would look a bit wrong wearing a dress at Bunnings. You know, with the beard and all. Hairy legs etc.....

I remember my first business venture. I was about 7 years old. Used to hop the back fence into the drive-in theatre at night. Collect all the bottles dropped out of cars and return to the canteen for the amount the canteen used to give us for collecting/tidying up if you like. Got so good at it that a couple of times the bottle never hit the ground. Grabbed it before. 😎

One night in the mid - late 50's had my best ever. Took home a 10 Bob note after stuffing myself with lollies from the canteen. Almost got a belting from the old man for spending up on the lollies till I showed the note to him. Wages were pretty lousy for Dad and he was left speechless.

Tried the same thing one day instead of night when having a boring day. Thought me and a mate could scour the speakers, collect bottles in the bags, then hide the bags in a lonely spot next to the house fences and get paid the next night. Only trouble was the local copper in his ute came in and chased us. My mate got caught and I got away under a fence and hid in the scrub. Copper threatened to lock up my mate if I didn't come out. So I gave myself up. After a lecture he let us go. Too scared to see if there was a smile on his dial, but these days I reflect and think there might have been a sparkle in his eyes.

Yeah, just business. All manner of things some want.
Yes l could just imagine you in a dress lol l remember taking bottles back when things were tight. Good old days eh !

I say good on her for rekindling her passion! ..... this sort of thing is certainly not new.
Op shops are full of bargains and the ones in the know, have benefitted by purchasing garments for just a few dollars and reselling them for 20/30 (or more dollars). ;):)