Deep cleaning Christmas trees? Woman shares controversial way of cleaning yuletide fixture!

As the jingle bells ring and the festive season is upon us, we're all starting to deck our halls with Christmas décor.

Of course, along with all the decorating comes cleaning—especially for items stashed for the rest of the year in dusty corners.

But how far is too far regarding tidying up for Christmas? Would you ever consider deep-cleaning your tree before putting it up?

A woman took cleaning Christmas trees to the next level with her method.

Rhema, a social media personality from Ontario, Canada, has sparked a fierce debate after revealing that she deep-cleaned her artificial Christmas tree before putting it up yearly.

Her method? A bathtub, cleaning liquid, and dish soap.

photo (3).jpg
Rhema shared her method of deep-cleaning her Christmas tree. Credit @rhema.br / TikTok

In a video online that has since been viewed over two million times, Rhema disassembled her artificial tree, placing each tier into the bathtub. She sprayed them with a cleaning solution, filled the tub with water, added dish soap, and let it soak.

After draining the water, she assembles the tree, ready for decorating.

Rhema's video, overlaid with the caption, 'Unpopular opinion: You need to clean your Christmas tree’, has divided viewers.

‘CleanTok is getting outta hand,’ said one viewer.

'Some people have so much time,' a second commented.

Another added, ‘'Imma buy another tree before anyone sees me cleaning my tree in the tub.'

Others are bemused, with one commenter joking, 'I like how no one in the comments is saying, “omg, I thought I was the only one.''’

‘How do people have the time/energy/patience to do this stuff? I can barely handle the basics,' another said.

One wrote, 'This is the definition of performative cleanliness.'

Another commented, 'I literally just told my therapist about how it feels like every day someone tells me a new thing I need to clean...and here's another.'

Rhema jokingly replied, 'LOL! I say just clean the tree alone.'

However, other users commented on safety concerns.

'Seems like this may lead to mildew/mould depending on the type of tree,' one person said.

‘My prelit tree says “no thanks” lol,’ another commented.

Watch Rhema’s video below:

The idea of deep cleaning an artificial Christmas tree may seem excessive to some. After all, it's only out of storage for a few weeks each year. However, Rhema's method raises an interesting point about cleanliness and hygiene during the festive season.

Artificial Christmas trees, like any other household item, can accumulate dust and allergens over time. If you're sensitive to these, a quick clean before setting up your tree could help reduce symptoms.

So, what's the best way to clean your artificial Christmas tree?

Experts at Balsam Hill, a popular artificial Christmas tree brand, recommend a different approach.

‘First, set up the tree in a place that's cool, dry, and away from direct heat or sunlight,’ they said.

‘Then lightly dust the pine needles with a dense fibre duster or a clean, dry cloth at least once a week to prevent dust building up.’

‘When it comes to getting mould off an artificial tree, using a pressurised air compressor or a hair dryer on a low, cool setting can remove mould from the tree's branches.’

‘The company suggests avoiding spraying water, soap, or vinegar on the tree because it may affect its lifelike quality.’

They also rejected hosing the tree outside, as it could damage the plastic needles or the metallic tree trunks.

In storing the tree after the holidays, the experts recommended placing it in a tight and durable storage bag and keeping it dry.

If the tree smells musty the following year, let it air in a shaded place outside, such as a patio or porch.

Speaking of Christmas trees, several people have been coming up with different ways of assembling them. In a previous story, a woman shared her innovative idea on social media called the ‘half Christmas tree’! Read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A woman named Rhema from Ontario, Canada, has sparked a debate online by revealing she deep cleaned her artificial Christmas tree before setting it up.
  • Rhema filmed a video of washing the tree in her bathtub using cleaning liquid and dish soap. The video has been viewed more than two million times.
  • Many social media users were sceptical of her actions, with some arguing it was 'performative cleanliness' and others expressing concerns about potential mildew or mould.
  • Popular artificial Christmas tree brand Balsam Hill recommends lightly dusting the tree to prevent dust build-up and avoiding using water, soap or vinegar as this could affect the tree's quality.
Is deep cleaning your Christmas tree a step too far, or is it a sensible approach to holiday hygiene? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Why is it that when someone does something from another country it is “a miracle, a game changer, revolutionary”
I have cleaned my Christmas tree like this every year for as long as I can remember…it still looks like new!

Our family's artificial Chrissy tree fell apart after some 30 years of service. It was never cleaned and we are all alive and healthy. If people are worried about their tree, throw it away every year then buy a new one. I see quite a few down at the tip every January.

Maintaining a clean and tidy home can be challenging, especially with busy schedules. Professional cleaning services offer a convenient solution. Trained and reliable cleaners ensure a thorough job, leaving your space spotless. Emop, a trusted cleaning service, goes a step further by offering cashback up to £150. This incentive adds value to an already efficient service. Whether you require a one-off deep cleaning or regular maintenance, Emop tailors its services to meet your needs. Take the hassle out of cleaning and enjoy a pristine living environment. Explore the benefits of professional cleaning services at https://www.emop.co.uk/ and experience the convenience of a well-maintained home.
Same here :) thanks a ton for sharing!

Last edited: