Dedicated "chocolate connoisseur" sparks heated debate with in-depth analysis of why ALDI 'Titan' bar is better than the original Mars Bar

When it comes to food, there are certain products that we all know and love. But what happens when a cheaper, generic version of that product hits the market? In most cases, the answer is that the generic version is often just as good as the original, but sometimes the quality can be a little bit off.

Take, for example, ALDI's new Titan Bar, which, according to a self-professed chocolate connoisseur, is actually better than the much-loved Mars chocolate bar.

A Sydney man's analysis of why ALDI's Mars bar knock-off is superior to the real thing in terms of quality, price, and size has sparked a heated discussion online.

Sharing the results of his assessment on Facebook, the chocolate fan said that he compared the two treats with each other in terms of the aforementioned parameters, revealing that the ALDI dupe fared much better in all aspects.

"Our special Old Shops Consumer Investigation (bored, rainy day WFH) reveals the “shrinkflated” Mars Bar is 22 per cent smaller than Aldi's knock-off Titan Bar and, when not on special costs over twice as much as the Aldi version," the Sydneysider wrote in a post.

"In our opinion, the Titan Bar is a better Mars Bar in quality and value than the Mars Bar itself."

It should be noted that while major supermarkets charge $2.00 for a 47g Mars Bar, ALDI retails its 60g Titan Bar for only 89 cents.

nY4BtyS4Qf__nQ0maWK8dVR1NFU4uffvRqKMNM8dhfutWo7ngGAzeVYq4FWez_Un_vRab3pduQBHuJscBhCXsJbG1WjHPWatX_AZcu58ZeYwr-MfN1JKEX6_onKqDtds9PypBdVrCUqLqVJWHw

Credit: Facebook

The post has gone viral, amassing more than 960 likes and hundreds of comments from users who were debating whether the claim was correct or not.

Many people in the comments concurred that they liked the caramel and nougat bar from ALDI better than the traditional Mars chocolate bar, pointing out that a lot of knock-off offerings from the German retailers are superior that the original brands.

One user wrote: "The Aldi version of Bounty is really good too."

"The Aldi Cartwheel biscuits are way better than the Wagon Wheels. Pretty sure they're under $1 too," another shared.

A third chimed in: "I'm quite a fan of a few Aldi rip-offs. Their fake Milo 'NRG Maxx' powder is fantastic and has a really strong malted barley taste. Like you and their 'Mars' bars, I actively prefer the imitation."

"We did this blindfolded taste test comparison last night with guests, Titan got the nod," another added.

Others argued that the original still tastes better than the ALDI dupe.

One comment read: "Bought a Titan Bar the other week, hadn't had one in years. It's like eating grainy sugar...it's horrible! They used to be really nice."

"Mars bars are still the best. Taste much better than Titan," another agreed.

A third said: "Doesn't taste the same though. It's nice but tastes completely different to me."

"Chocolate size is the true measure of the economy," another sarcastically wrote.

Meanwhile, several users asked whether the Titan bars are manufactured in Australia, to which the man responded that they were made in Germany.

“It's made in Germany. The Germans know a bit about quality so I'd be OK putting my chocolate money in their pocket,” he said.

We honestly have not tried the treat in question so we can't give you our honest opinions on it per se. However, we believe that in many cases, the dupe is cheaper, more accessible, and sometimes just as delicious as the real thing. So, why not give them a try?

Having said that, we want to hear your thoughts! Will you be giving this treat a go? Better yet, have you tried one before? Do you agree that it is better than the original? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
When it comes to food, there are certain products that we all know and love. But what happens when a cheaper, generic version of that product hits the market? In most cases, the answer is that the generic version is often just as good as the original, but sometimes the quality can be a little bit off.

Take, for example, ALDI's new Titan Bar, which, according to a self-professed chocolate connoisseur, is actually better than the much-loved Mars chocolate bar.

A Sydney man's analysis of why ALDI's Mars bar knock-off is superior to the real thing in terms of quality, price, and size has sparked a heated discussion online.

Sharing the results of his assessment on Facebook, the chocolate fan said that he compared the two treats with each other in terms of the aforementioned parameters, revealing that the ALDI dupe fared much better in all aspects.

"Our special Old Shops Consumer Investigation (bored, rainy day WFH) reveals the “shrinkflated” Mars Bar is 22 per cent smaller than Aldi's knock-off Titan Bar and, when not on special costs over twice as much as the Aldi version," the Sydneysider wrote in a post.

"In our opinion, the Titan Bar is a better Mars Bar in quality and value than the Mars Bar itself."

It should be noted that while major supermarkets charge $2.00 for a 47g Mars Bar, ALDI retails its 60g Titan Bar for only 89 cents.

nY4BtyS4Qf__nQ0maWK8dVR1NFU4uffvRqKMNM8dhfutWo7ngGAzeVYq4FWez_Un_vRab3pduQBHuJscBhCXsJbG1WjHPWatX_AZcu58ZeYwr-MfN1JKEX6_onKqDtds9PypBdVrCUqLqVJWHw

The post has gone viral, amassing more than 960 likes and hundreds of comments from users who were debating whether the claim was correct or not.

Many people in the comments concurred that they liked the caramel and nougat bar from ALDI better than the traditional Mars chocolate bar, pointing out that a lot of knock-off offerings from the German retailers are superior that the original brands.

"The Aldi Cartwheel biscuits are way better than the Wagon Wheels. Pretty sure they're under $1 too," another shared.

A third chimed in: "I'm quite a fan of a few Aldi rip-offs. Their fake Milo 'NRG Maxx' powder is fantastic and has a really strong malted barley taste. Like you and their 'Mars' bars, I actively prefer the imitation."

"We did this blindfolded taste test comparison last night with guests, Titan got the nod," another added.

One comment read: "Bought a Titan Bar the other week, hadn't had one in years. It's like eating grainy sugar...it's horrible! They used to be really nice."

A third said: "Doesn't taste the same though. It's nice but tastes completely different to me."

"Chocolate size is the true measure of the economy," another sarcastically wrote.

Meanwhile, several users asked whether the Titan bars are manufactured in Australia, to which the man responded that they were made in Germany.

“It's made in Germany. The Germans know a bit about quality so I'd be OK putting my chocolate money in their pocket,” he said.

We honestly have not tried the treat in question so we can't give you our honest opinions on it per se. However, we believe that in many cases, the dupe is cheaper, more accessible, and sometimes just as delicious as the real thing. So, why not give them a try?

Having said that, we want to hear your thoughts! Will you be giving this treat a go? Better yet, have you tried one before? Do you agree that it is better than the original? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!

Cartwheels are great ! $1.89 For 10.
Titan bar is likewise. Their version of Snickers has peanut paste instead of peanuts. But ok.

Reactions: Ricci
As a diabetic I don't eat a lot of chocolate but I've usually got a couple in the fridge to cope with sugar lows. I might well get a Titan bar next time I go to Aldi so that I can give them a go.:)

Reactions: Julia TH

I used to love Mars Bars in Britain. They taste different in Oz. Must try the titan bar maybe it will be closer to the British one...

These chocolate bars aren’t new. We’ve been buying them from Aldi for at least eight years. I always have a packet of each in the fridge at any given time.

The Dreamy bars are also lovely. They’re Aldi’s version of the Milky Bar. I used to buy them for our two grandchildren when they came to visit, but they’re now at the age where they’re ‘watching what they eat’, even though they’re as skinny as bean poles.

I wouldn’t go back to the brand name bars, because the Aldi ones are delicious and much better value.

Haven't had a Mars bar for years because I don't think the quality was as good as it used to be.