Deceptive Sale Sign Outrages Aussie Shoppers

As advocates for savvier shopping, we at the Senior Discount Club recognise the significance of shedding light on deceptive marketing practices.

A specific instance of such questionable conduct has recently come to the forefront in Melbourne.

The unfolding drama took place in an Australian kitchenware retailer called House.

A mum, enticed by significant discounts, eagerly anticipated a customary shopping spree.

compressed-house.jpeg
It is crucial for retailers to maintain transparency and honesty in their sales promotions to build trust with customers. Source: Facebook

A prominently displayed banner, alluringly proclaiming an '80 per cent off storewide' sale, appeared like a valuable offering from the realm of retail.

After all, who could resist the opportunity to seize remarkable bargains on exquisite kitchenware?

It turns out the glimmering banner of deals contained a less shiny surprise. A shopping heroine spotted the divisive detail—a tiny 'up to' scribbled before the '80 per cent off'.

Now, who would have thought to spot that letdown in all their heady discount-driven excitement?

It meant that discounts ranged anywhere from a meagre one per cent to a majestic 80 per cent off—a painful trick for any bargain seeker.

Infuriated and deceived, the shopper took to Facebook to voice her disdain, challenging others to decipher the invisible detail on their screens.

She said, 'I thought this sale was fantastic until I got to the register to pay. I personally think it crosses the line of being misleading when the fine print is so small you can barely see it when walking into the store.’

Her feelings of outrage were shared by numerous unsuspecting shoppers who echoed her sentiments.

One said, 'They've definitely triple jumped over the line between confusing and misleading advertising.’

house2.jpg
Deceptive practices can lead to customer dissatisfaction, loss of credibility, and long-term damage to the brand's reputation. Source: Facebook

Another added, 'Gee wiz, that is pushing the envelope, isn't it!'

A third wrote, 'Bait advertising. I don't understand how it's allowed for so long.'

A fourth, 'Horrible marketing. Whoever has thought this was a good idea should maybe not be in marketing.'

Keen readers even spotted further deception in the sale sign's tinier text—'RRP' (Recommended Retail Price)—indicating the discount applied to the original price, not any previously discounted rate. Double whammy, wouldn't you say?

'See the RRP near the F also. No way would I shop there.' a mum noted.

'I'm not a Karen but I would have argued that one, then vowed to never shop there again!' another commented.

Responding to the adversity, a House spokesperson claimed that corrective actions were underway to clarify the sale sign.

In their words, 'It came to our attention that the signage at our Southland store did not clearly state that the discounts were up to 80 per cent. As soon as this came to our attention, the sign was immediately corrected.'

'At all times, the extent of the discount was clearly identified on the product within the store.'

Key Takeaways
  • A Melbourne shopper was frustrated by a 'misleading' sale sign at Australian kitchenware store House, slating the company for a hidden 'up to' message in the sale sign.
  • The onslaught of complaints came after customers noted tiny, practically invisible, details on the sale sign specifying that the discount applies to the 'Recommended Retail Price (RRP)' and can vary between 1 per cent and 80 per cent.
  • Reactions to the sign varied online, with some users finding the advertising tactics deceptive.
  • A House spokesperson said the signage issue at the Southland store has been quickly corrected and clarified that the extent of the discount was always clearly identified on the products within the store.

Let us strive to make shopping clean, fair and deceptive-free. Don't be bait advertising's next casualty!

Have you ever encountered deceptive sale signs or misleading advertising tactics while shopping? How do you think retailers should ensure transparency and clarity in their promotions to avoid misleading customers? Share your thoughts with us!

Sponsored
Yes Annna, I got caught out with their 'no cash, card transactions only' and I can tell you, I was not a, Happy Jan!! I just dropped what I had in my hand, a $400 saucepan set, told them 'cash' was still legal tender and told them I would never step foot in their store again!!
Good on you. I believe it should be mandatory for Cash Only or Card Only signs to be prominently displayed front of store and throughout the store. They are banking on you just wanting to finalise the purchase and, in a sense, you are being duped or bullied to pull out a card...

Reactions: gollywog
Couple of things:

1. This store has LOUD, LARGE SALE SIGNS displayed all the time. It is hard to believe that this store's stock is ALWAYS on sale.

and

2. The last time I tried to buy from this store, I was refused service because I only had cash on me to pay for the pans I wanted to buy.

The salesperson said "company policy, card transactions only".

I could not believe that cash was not acceptable.

I left the pans to the salesperson and this was my last attempt to buy from House.
Cash MUST be accepted unless CLEARLY advertised, or, stated prior to a cash offer to purchase.

As advocates for savvier shopping, we at the Senior Discount Club recognise the significance of shedding light on deceptive marketing practices.

A specific instance of such questionable conduct has recently come to the forefront in Melbourne.

The unfolding drama took place in an Australian kitchenware retailer called House.

A mum, enticed by significant discounts, eagerly anticipated a customary shopping spree.

View attachment 25060
It is crucial for retailers to maintain transparency and honesty in their sales promotions to build trust with customers. Source: Facebook

A prominently displayed banner, alluringly proclaiming an '80 per cent off storewide' sale, appeared like a valuable offering from the realm of retail.

After all, who could resist the opportunity to seize remarkable bargains on exquisite kitchenware?

It turns out the glimmering banner of deals contained a less shiny surprise. A shopping heroine spotted the divisive detail—a tiny 'up to' scribbled before the '80 per cent off'.

Now, who would have thought to spot that letdown in all their heady discount-driven excitement?

It meant that discounts ranged anywhere from a meagre one per cent to a majestic 80 per cent off—a painful trick for any bargain seeker.

Infuriated and deceived, the shopper took to Facebook to voice her disdain, challenging others to decipher the invisible detail on their screens.

She said, 'I thought this sale was fantastic until I got to the register to pay. I personally think it crosses the line of being misleading when the fine print is so small you can barely see it when walking into the store.’

Her feelings of outrage were shared by numerous unsuspecting shoppers who echoed her sentiments.

One said, 'They've definitely triple jumped over the line between confusing and misleading advertising.’

View attachment 25061
Deceptive practices can lead to customer dissatisfaction, loss of credibility, and long-term damage to the brand's reputation. Source: Facebook

A third wrote, 'Bait advertising. I don't understand how it's allowed for so long.'

A fourth, 'Horrible marketing. Whoever has thought this was a good idea should maybe not be in marketing.'

Keen readers even spotted further deception in the sale sign's tinier text—'RRP' (Recommended Retail Price)—indicating the discount applied to the original price, not any previously discounted rate. Double whammy, wouldn't you say?

'I'm not a Karen but I would have argued that one, then vowed to never shop there again!' another commented.

Responding to the adversity, a House spokesperson claimed that corrective actions were underway to clarify the sale sign.

In their words, 'It came to our attention that the signage at our Southland store did not clearly state that the discounts were up to 80 per cent. As soon as this came to our attention, the sign was immediately corrected.'

'At all times, the extent of the discount was clearly identified on the product within the store.'

Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne shopper was frustrated by a 'misleading' sale sign at Australian kitchenware store House, slating the company for a hidden 'up to' message in the sale sign.
  • The onslaught of complaints came after customers noted tiny, practically invisible, details on the sale sign specifying that the discount applies to the 'Recommended Retail Price (RRP)' and can vary between 1 per cent and 80 per cent.
  • Reactions to the sign varied online, with some users finding the advertising tactics deceptive.
  • A House spokesperson said the signage issue at the Southland store has been quickly corrected and clarified that the extent of the discount was always clearly identified on the products within the store.

Let us strive to make shopping clean, fair and deceptive-free. Don't be bait advertising's next casualty!

Have you ever encountered deceptive sale signs or misleading advertising tactics while shopping? How do you think retailers should ensure transparency and clarity in their promotions to avoid misleading customers? Share your thoughts with us!
I well remember a jewellery chain who were charged for misleading advertising. They had tickets printed which inflated the price and then had that crossed through and a new price.

View attachment 25060

View attachment 25061

Key Takeaways

Totally misleading customers, for sure and unfair 😡😤

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Chemist Warehouse are guilty of this sort of advertising. Their “super specials” eg: 60% off , is off their RRP. A friend got caught with this and she phoned the company and was told it’s always been that way. She was not very happy to say the least.

My pet peeve is half price and in tiny print "on second item purchased"

Chemist Warehouse are guilty of this sort of advertising. Their “super specials” eg: 60% off , is off their RRP. A friend got caught with this and she phoned the company and was told it’s always been that way. She was not very happy to say the least.
60 % off rrp is a good offer . If chemist warehouse offer 60% off it is 60 % off.
Can I ask did your friend want more off or for free

Reactions: mylittletibbies

View attachment 25060

View attachment 25061

Key Takeaways

There is a store at Frankston Power Centre called House Warehouse that also has similar signs, but the discounts are false as their prices are marked up high originally. They shouldn't be allowed to advertise such discounts when they aren't true.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Warning to all members, Don’t use ‘Just Ask’ on you computer. For the answer to a query they ask for only a $2 fee but they take $66 dollars out of your bank account. Only then will they answer your query!

View attachment 25060

View attachment 25061

Key Takeaways

There are shoe shops advertising half price shoes. Look closely and it says on 2nd pair.

View attachment 25060

View attachment 25061

Key Takeaways

Maybe I'm blind but i can't even see those little words "up to" on that signage!
Bloody rogues!

I've been caugh

View attachment 25060

View attachment 25061

Key Takeaways

t so many times like this. When I moved into retail I used a red marker and underlined it.

View attachment 25060

View attachment 25061

Key Takeaways

Highly deceptive advertising to say the least, I'd go so far as to say that form of advertising should be illegal, with a heavy fine.