Deceptive Sale Sign Outrages Aussie Shoppers

As advocates for savvier shopping, we at the Senior Discount Club recognise the significance of shedding light on deceptive marketing practices.

A specific instance of such questionable conduct has recently come to the forefront in Melbourne.

The unfolding drama took place in an Australian kitchenware retailer called House.

A mum, enticed by significant discounts, eagerly anticipated a customary shopping spree.

compressed-house.jpeg
It is crucial for retailers to maintain transparency and honesty in their sales promotions to build trust with customers. Source: Facebook

A prominently displayed banner, alluringly proclaiming an '80 per cent off storewide' sale, appeared like a valuable offering from the realm of retail.

After all, who could resist the opportunity to seize remarkable bargains on exquisite kitchenware?

It turns out the glimmering banner of deals contained a less shiny surprise. A shopping heroine spotted the divisive detail—a tiny 'up to' scribbled before the '80 per cent off'.

Now, who would have thought to spot that letdown in all their heady discount-driven excitement?

It meant that discounts ranged anywhere from a meagre one per cent to a majestic 80 per cent off—a painful trick for any bargain seeker.

Infuriated and deceived, the shopper took to Facebook to voice her disdain, challenging others to decipher the invisible detail on their screens.

She said, 'I thought this sale was fantastic until I got to the register to pay. I personally think it crosses the line of being misleading when the fine print is so small you can barely see it when walking into the store.’

Her feelings of outrage were shared by numerous unsuspecting shoppers who echoed her sentiments.

One said, 'They've definitely triple jumped over the line between confusing and misleading advertising.’

house2.jpg
Deceptive practices can lead to customer dissatisfaction, loss of credibility, and long-term damage to the brand's reputation. Source: Facebook

Another added, 'Gee wiz, that is pushing the envelope, isn't it!'

A third wrote, 'Bait advertising. I don't understand how it's allowed for so long.'

A fourth, 'Horrible marketing. Whoever has thought this was a good idea should maybe not be in marketing.'

Keen readers even spotted further deception in the sale sign's tinier text—'RRP' (Recommended Retail Price)—indicating the discount applied to the original price, not any previously discounted rate. Double whammy, wouldn't you say?

'See the RRP near the F also. No way would I shop there.' a mum noted.

'I'm not a Karen but I would have argued that one, then vowed to never shop there again!' another commented.

Responding to the adversity, a House spokesperson claimed that corrective actions were underway to clarify the sale sign.

In their words, 'It came to our attention that the signage at our Southland store did not clearly state that the discounts were up to 80 per cent. As soon as this came to our attention, the sign was immediately corrected.'

'At all times, the extent of the discount was clearly identified on the product within the store.'

Key Takeaways
  • A Melbourne shopper was frustrated by a 'misleading' sale sign at Australian kitchenware store House, slating the company for a hidden 'up to' message in the sale sign.
  • The onslaught of complaints came after customers noted tiny, practically invisible, details on the sale sign specifying that the discount applies to the 'Recommended Retail Price (RRP)' and can vary between 1 per cent and 80 per cent.
  • Reactions to the sign varied online, with some users finding the advertising tactics deceptive.
  • A House spokesperson said the signage issue at the Southland store has been quickly corrected and clarified that the extent of the discount was always clearly identified on the products within the store.

Let us strive to make shopping clean, fair and deceptive-free. Don't be bait advertising's next casualty!

Have you ever encountered deceptive sale signs or misleading advertising tactics while shopping? How do you think retailers should ensure transparency and clarity in their promotions to avoid misleading customers? Share your thoughts with us!

Sponsored
Couple of things:

1. This store has LOUD, LARGE SALE SIGNS displayed all the time. It is hard to believe that this store's stock is ALWAYS on sale.

and

2. The last time I tried to buy from this store, I was refused service because I only had cash on me to pay for the pans I wanted to buy.

The salesperson said "company policy, card transactions only".

I could not believe that cash was not acceptable.

I left the pans to the salesperson and this was my last attempt to buy from House.

As advocates for savvier shopping, we at the Senior Discount Club recognise the significance of shedding light on deceptive marketing practices.

A specific instance of such questionable conduct has recently come to the forefront in Melbourne.

The unfolding drama took place in an Australian kitchenware retailer called House.

A mum, enticed by significant discounts, eagerly anticipated a customary shopping spree.

View attachment 25060
It is crucial for retailers to maintain transparency and honesty in their sales promotions to build trust with customers. Source: Facebook

A prominently displayed banner, alluringly proclaiming an '80 per cent off storewide' sale, appeared like a valuable offering from the realm of retail.

After all, who could resist the opportunity to seize remarkable bargains on exquisite kitchenware?

It turns out the glimmering banner of deals contained a less shiny surprise. A shopping heroine spotted the divisive detail—a tiny 'up to' scribbled before the '80 per cent off'.

Now, who would have thought to spot that letdown in all their heady discount-driven excitement?

It meant that discounts ranged anywhere from a meagre one per cent to a majestic 80 per cent off—a painful trick for any bargain seeker.

Infuriated and deceived, the shopper took to Facebook to voice her disdain, challenging others to decipher the invisible detail on their screens.

She said, 'I thought this sale was fantastic until I got to the register to pay. I personally think it crosses the line of being misleading when the fine print is so small you can barely see it when walking into the store.’

Her feelings of outrage were shared by numerous unsuspecting shoppers who echoed her sentiments.

One said, 'They've definitely triple jumped over the line between confusing and misleading advertising.’

View attachment 25061
Deceptive practices can lead to customer dissatisfaction, loss of credibility, and long-term damage to the brand's reputation. Source: Facebook

A third wrote, 'Bait advertising. I don't understand how it's allowed for so long.'

A fourth, 'Horrible marketing. Whoever has thought this was a good idea should maybe not be in marketing.'

Keen readers even spotted further deception in the sale sign's tinier text—'RRP' (Recommended Retail Price)—indicating the discount applied to the original price, not any previously discounted rate. Double whammy, wouldn't you say?

'I'm not a Karen but I would have argued that one, then vowed to never shop there again!' another commented.

Responding to the adversity, a House spokesperson claimed that corrective actions were underway to clarify the sale sign.

In their words, 'It came to our attention that the signage at our Southland store did not clearly state that the discounts were up to 80 per cent. As soon as this came to our attention, the sign was immediately corrected.'

'At all times, the extent of the discount was clearly identified on the product within the store.'

Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne shopper was frustrated by a 'misleading' sale sign at Australian kitchenware store House, slating the company for a hidden 'up to' message in the sale sign.
  • The onslaught of complaints came after customers noted tiny, practically invisible, details on the sale sign specifying that the discount applies to the 'Recommended Retail Price (RRP)' and can vary between 1 per cent and 80 per cent.
  • Reactions to the sign varied online, with some users finding the advertising tactics deceptive.
  • A House spokesperson said the signage issue at the Southland store has been quickly corrected and clarified that the extent of the discount was always clearly identified on the products within the store.

Let us strive to make shopping clean, fair and deceptive-free. Don't be bait advertising's next casualty!

Have you ever encountered deceptive sale signs or misleading advertising tactics while shopping? How do you think retailers should ensure transparency and clarity in their promotions to avoid misleading customers? Share your thoughts with us!
I'm afraid that this is just one of many stores who practice the same deceptive advertising campaign. It really pays to check things out before you buy. I always go by the advice that was given to me many years ago. " If it seems too good to be true it probably is".

View attachment 25060

View attachment 25061

Key Takeaways

Yesterday i was shopping at Woolworths Hoppers crossing And at The front of an aisle where they display their specials i noticed 1/2 Price in Big letters with packets of sweets And several boxes of darryl Lea liquorice so i grabbed a couple for my daughter. When i got home i noticed they were $6 each on my receipt which is full price. I then checked the price on their Website And found that they were indeed $6 a packet. I am pretty furious that they are stooping to those levels where they are placing full price items amongst special items And 1/2 price signs to mislead customers

Chemist Warehouse are guilty of this sort of advertising. Their “super specials” eg: 60% off , is off their RRP. A friend got caught with this and she phoned the company and was told it’s always been that way. She was not very happy to say the least.

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy and Leanne D

View attachment 25060

View attachment 25061

Key Takeaways

But does the person who starts these whinges, are only falling into a scam to start with. What better way to get your stores discounts out there. I some times wonder,if the person who is the store owner or as far as big stores the store PR person. Doesn't start a face book or tweet them selves. OH OK always. Don't know why they call me cynical or clinical not sure which one hehe

It really is a first world problem. Is this really disgusting and insulting behaviour by the stores? And even though the signs may be deceptive, isnt it up to us to READ them. These are not new practices, but it seems like scams, people are not learning and blaming the stores for their utter lack of common sense. Get over it.

Couple of things:

1. This store has LOUD, LARGE SALE SIGNS displayed all the time. It is hard to believe that this store's stock is ALWAYS on sale.

and

2. The last time I tried to buy from this store, I was refused service because I only had cash on me to pay for the pans I wanted to buy.

The salesperson said "company policy, card transactions only".

I could not believe that cash was not acceptable.

I left the pans to the salesperson and this was my last attempt to buy from House.
Yes Annna, I got caught out with their 'no cash, card transactions only' and I can tell you, I was not a, Happy Jan!! I just dropped what I had in my hand, a $400 saucepan set, told them 'cash' was still legal tender and told them I would never step foot in their store again!!

View attachment 25060

View attachment 25061

Key Takeaways

Just leave the items on the counter and walk away. Then I'd get all my friends to go into the store and get the dearest items and inundate the with the same tactic.

Reactions: Annna and Ezzy
As we age our eyes are not as sharp as they once were and many companies play on that having signs that herald a cheap price only to be told at the checkout that I had missed the tiny from on the sign. Deceptive signage should be outlawed but as this happened in a well known national shop I am sure that this will not happen.

A few years ago I went to just jeans as they had leather jackets on sale for $50
I grabbed 3 as they were a bargain, when I went to pay for them, they wanted to charge me $150 each, I said NO, the sign in the window clearly states $50
they stated it was a misprint it should have read from $50
i said, “well you best fix that after you finish this current sale.
I ended up getting the 3 for $50 each.

View attachment 25060

View attachment 25061

Key Takeaways