Debt dilemma Down Under: Aussies refuse help amid mounting financial pressures

As financial pressures mount, a significant number of Australians are finding themselves grappling with debt.

Despite the growing burden, many are hesitant to seek assistance, potentially worsening their financial struggles.

This reluctance to ask for help highlights a concerning trend that needs urgent attention to ensure individuals can manage their debts effectively and regain financial stability.

According to recent research from ASIC's Moneysmart, a staggering 47 per cent of Australians with debt—an estimated 5.8 million people—have struggled to make repayments in the last year.

While the reasons for this financial strain varied, reduced income, unexpected expenses, and the relentless pressure of rising costs were the chief culprits.

compressed-shutterstock_2384776777.jpeg
ASIC's Moneysmart research showed that almost half of Australians in debt faced repayment difficulties within the past year. Credit: Shutterstock

The data painted a concerning picture, particularly for certain demographics.

Millennials and parents with young children are bearing the brunt of these tough times.

Over half of the millennials surveyed (54 per cent) anticipate financial hardship in the coming year—a figure that stands in stark contrast to 39 per cent of Generation X and 31 per cent of baby boomers.

Parents with children under 18 are also feeling the pinch, with 56 per cent reporting significant financial stress.

Despite the widespread struggle, a mere one in five of those in debt have sought financial assistance.

This reluctance is compounded by a lack of awareness, with 55 per cent of respondents unaware that they could even ask for help from their bank or lender.

Furthermore, 30 per cent of those surveyed would not seek help on principle, fearing additional costs or doubting the efficacy of their lender's assistance.

The research highlighted the lengths to which Australians will go to stay afloat financially.

Selling personal belongings is a route 42 per cent would take, while 40 per cent would consider taking on a second job.

These are not easy decisions to make and often come with their own set of emotional and practical challenges.

The barriers to seeking help are not just practical; they're emotional, too.

A significant number of respondents (37 per cent) didn't know about the assistance available to them, a third (33 per cent) were unsure where to start, and 31 per cent were wary of who to trust.

On an emotional level, stress and anxiety (51 per cent), shame and embarrassment (40 per cent), and feelings of failure (40 per cent) are powerful deterrents.

In response to these findings, Moneysmart is launching a new campaign titled ‘Just Ask! Hardship Help is available’.

ASIC Commissioner Alan Kirkland expressed his worry, saying, ‘It is concerning that people would rather sell their personal belongings or get a second job rather than seek financial hardship assistance.’

‘Customers in hardship are entitled under the law to request assistance. These findings should be top of mind for lenders when supporting Australians in financial hardship.’

Mr Kirkland stated that lenders, such as banks, are obligated to provide financial assistance to individuals facing debt challenges.

‘If you aren't happy with your bank or lender's response, make a complaint and, if that doesn't resolve the issue, contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority,’ he suggested.

The reluctance to seek help for debt-related issues isn't isolated to a single demographic; financial stress is a widespread issue affecting various age groups across Australia.

Recent studies highlighted the severity of this problem, revealing which generations are most burdened by financial pressures.

This growing concern underscores the need for targeted support and resources to help Australians manage their finances effectively.
Key Takeaways
  • ASIC's Moneysmart research indicated that nearly half of Australians with debt have struggled with repayments in the last year.
  • Millenials and parents of young children were found to be the most likely to face financial hardship, yet many are unaware of the financial assistance available to them.
  • Emotional barriers such as stress, shame, and embarrassment, as well as practical concerns about where to seek help, are influencing Australians not to seek financial aid.
  • ASIC commissioner Alan Kirkland urged those in hardship to ask for help from their lenders and to contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority if they are unsatisfied with the response.
Have you recently faced financial hardship? What steps did you take to manage your situation? We invite you to share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Cut expense is the only way.... Private medical is next on the list, the Vodafone, the electricity and gas bills are being monitored. Shower once per week if you leave the house and once per month if you stay inside.

Australia is a sh** hole of a place.....unless you are filthy rich that is....

There's a lot bigger sh** holes out there in the big wide world.
Life is hard, I agree, especially for pensioners,but there are so many millions of people worse off than us and most of them would gladly trade places.
Agree... but it is still a sh**hole....... regerdless....

Agree... but it is still a sh**hole....... regerdless....
So many people are their own worst enemies
We have a family member who never stops whinging about the debt they're in.
Five credit cards maxed out, two leased cars,keep upgrading their phones each time the latest one comes out( they haven't even finished paying for the previous one, seven streaming services, etc etc etc
And they expect me to feel sorry for them.
Credit cards have been maxed on cruises, clothes,dining out etc not necessities.
Sorry no sympathy from me, and NO to the loan they requested from me either.

Cut expense is the only way.... Private medical is next on the list, the Vodafone, the electricity and gas bills are being monitored. Shower once per week if you leave the house and once per month if you stay inside.

You need to get out more. We are bloody well off compared to a lot of countries and I’m not talking about third world countries. The high cost of living is not confined to Australia. All countries are experiencing the same thing and our Government is not perfect by any means but they do a reasonable job. We have a pension system available to all below a certain level that we didn’t have to pay into whilst we worked and a superannuation system which will be a godsend to retirees in the future when those who have had super payments for their whole working life.
Make the most of what you have and stop the “poor me” whinge.

Life is as tough now as it was when my father was a child. Luxuries are heading out for coffee, meals, entertainment. Getting the latest mobile phone etc are Luxuries.
Making shopping lists and sticking to them helps keep costs down. I have a vegetable garden in pots on my balcony, this also helps.

Compared to other countries, we are doing OK.

Just bear in mind the past, a depression or deep recession, then there was a war and with peace came stability. I fear we are headed down the same path.

Reactions: Macarj and wendell
when we were first married in 1967 we both worked until our family came along in 1970
My hubby worked long hours and even 2nd job to make ends meet No lavish life style , renting a unit 2nd hand tv so where is it any different now . We moved into our own 12sq new home in 1973. Work for it the only way I know

Reactions: Macarj and DLHM
Quite a few years ago I had friends that could not afford the mortgage. They rented out the house and moved into a one bedroom unit with two bubs. These days with rentals so scarce people aren’t prepared to do the hard yards. They prefer to have the runabout sitting in the yard because they cannot afford the fuel as the neighbours have one. Sell what you can and when times look up start afresh.

You need to get out more. We are bloody well off compared to a lot of countries and I’m not talking about third world countries. The high cost of living is not confined to Australia. All countries are experiencing the same thing and our Government is not perfect by any means but they do a reasonable job. We have a pension system available to all below a certain level that we didn’t have to pay into whilst we worked and a superannuation system which will be a godsend to retirees in the future when those who have had super payments for their whole working life.
Make the most of what you have and stop the “poor me” whinge.
I agree with some of what you say, but maybe you aren't aware of the history of pension payment funding. At one time, I understand everyone paid a certain percentage (I think it was 7%} of their income over and above the usual income tax which was kept in a separate account by Government and used solely for pension payments. Over time and Government and priority changes, this special fund became incorporated into the general taxation fund, but everyone still paid this extra amount under the title of income tax. This still continues until this day. Everybody who pays Income Tax pays into the invisible pension fund whether they know it or not.

Reactions: Macarj

The country does not owe you a living!!

It amazes me how some people live it up all their life.Drinking ,gambling,expensives holidays, always eating out. some just don't want to work, and yet they complain when they get to old age and have nothing.

The country does not owe you a living!!
Never said it did... Even if it was due, I have never taken a cent from the government during my working life, even if it were due.
Where I come from we were taught to fend for ourselves... there were no handouts like in Australia.
I stand by what I said it is a sh****** of a place.
Corruption is rife.

Never said it did... Even if it was due, I have never taken a cent from the government during my working life, even if it were due.
Where I come from we were taught to fend for ourselves... there were no handouts like in Australia.
I stand by what I said it is a sh****** of a place.
Corruption is rife.
Then why not leave if you are not happy here!

Then why not leave if you are not happy here!
Unfortunately, I cant.... I planned to move to Thailand but the stroke and 3 heart attacks got to me first,..... Land purchased and developed ready to go....