Deborah Knight steps down on 2GB show—You won't believe who's stepping in!

Radio royalty Deborah ‘Deb’ Knight has ruled the airwaves for over a decade, but after a stellar career, her reign has ended.

The well-known broadcaster has been dismissed from her afternoon spot on 2GB earlier this month, shocking loyal listeners nationwide.

Now, it has been revealed who will fill her shoes in the Afternoons program.

A week prior to the public announcement, Nine Radio notified Knight of the impending decision.

Knight, the sole female host with her own program on the conservative talk station, aired her final Afternoons segment on November 17.

Screenshot 2023-11-30 095556.png
Deborah Knight aired her final Afternoons segment on November 17. Credit: @deborah_knight/Instagram

Allegedly, Knight's dismissal was attributed to declining ratings, which fell to a 6 per cent market share, a decrease from a peak of 8.9 per cent in 2023.

This rating, derived from the sixth radio ratings survey, marked Knight's lowest performance during her four-year tenure, a significant drop from her impressive debut, which garnered an 11.4 per cent share.

While Knight confirmed she 'wasn't leaving' the station entirely, taking on a new role covering business news, fans were still devastated by the news. You can read more about that here.

But 2GB Content Manager Luke Davis said he has just the man to win audiences back: Michael 'Mike' McLaren.

The cult favourite has spent over a decade charming listeners with his witty repartee. McLaren stated that he had ‘big boots to fill’ but was excited about the new role.

‘I am honoured to be doing it. There has been a rich and great legacy on 2GB for years and years on Afternoons and most recently with Deb, so it is big boots to fill,’ he said in an interview.

‘I am going to do my best,’ he added.

McLaren also provided a glimpse into his niche interests, which will be added to the program.

‘We will be across the news, but we will also be across the entertainment things. My interests are sort of a little esoteric at times. I like the history stuff, so we will have plenty of that,’ he shared.

‘I am told I have a dry sense of humour, so I will bring that hopefully to the table as well,’ he continued.

Davis reported that the station is ‘absolutely delighted’ with this new change. He lauded McLaren for his intelligence, quick wit and ability to break down complex issues.

‘His ability to cover anything from the news of the day, to travel, nostalgia, health, cars, technology and entertainment makes him the perfect companion for Afternoons,’ Davis expressed.

Key Takeaways
  • Deb Knight has been replaced by Michael McLaren as host for the 2GB Afternoons show following her reported dismissal due to low ratings.
  • Previously, Knight had held a 6 per cent market share and held the role for four years.
  • Michael McLaren, who is excited about his new position, will bring his niche interests, dry sense of humour, and focus on news and entertainment to the talkback show.
  • Despite the change, Deb Knight will not be leaving 2GB and is set to take up a new role as the national host of Money News.

What do you think of Deb Knight’s replacement, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Reactions: Petra
Sponsored
Radio royalty Deborah ‘Deb’ Knight has ruled the airwaves for over a decade, but after a stellar career, her reign has ended.

The well-known broadcaster has been dismissed from her afternoon spot on 2GB earlier this month, shocking loyal listeners nationwide.

A week prior to the public announcement, Nine Radio notified Knight of the impending decision.

Knight, the sole female host with her own program on the conservative talk station, aired her final Afternoons segment on November 17.

View attachment 36210
Deborah Knight aired her final Afternoons segment on November 17. Credit: @deborah_knight/Instagram

Allegedly, Knight's dismissal was attributed to declining ratings, which fell to a 6 per cent market share, a decrease from a peak of 8.9 per cent in 2023.

This rating, derived from the sixth radio ratings survey, marked Knight's lowest performance during her four-year tenure, a significant drop from her impressive debut, which garnered an 11.4 per cent share.

While Knight confirmed she 'wasn't leaving' the station entirely, taking on a new role covering business news, fans were still devastated by the news. You can read more about that here.

But 2GB Content Manager Luke Davis said he has just the man to win audiences back: Michael 'Mike' McLaren.

The cult favourite has spent over a decade charming listeners with his witty repartee. McLaren stated that he had ‘big boots to fill’ but was excited about the new role.

‘I am honoured to be doing it. There has been a rich and great legacy on 2GB for years and years on Afternoons and most recently with Deb, so it is big boots to fill,’ he said in an interview.

McLaren also provided a glimpse into his niche interests, which will be added to the program.

‘We will be across the news, but we will also be across the entertainment things. My interests are sort of a little esoteric at times. I like the history stuff, so we will have plenty of that,’ he shared.

‘I am told I have a dry sense of humour, so I will bring that hopefully to the table as well,’ he continued.

Davis reported that the station is ‘absolutely delighted’ with this new change. He lauded McLaren for his intelligence, quick wit and ability to break down complex issues.

‘His ability to cover anything from the news of the day, to travel, nostalgia, health, cars, technology and entertainment makes him the perfect companion for Afternoons,’ Davis expressed.

Key Takeaways

• Deb Knight has been replaced by Michael McLaren as host for the 2GB Afternoons show following her reported dismissal due to low ratings.
  • Previously, Knight had held a 6 per cent market share and held the role for four years.
  • Michael McLaren, who is excited about his new position, will bring his niche interests, dry sense of humour, and focus on news and entertainment to the talkback show.
  • Despite the change, Deb Knight will not be leaving 2GB and is set to take up a new role as the national host of Money News.

What do you think of Deb Knight’s replacement, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
I have no idea who this bloke is but Deb doesn't deserve this. Typical of Channel 9 .....stuff it up and all will be well. I happen to like Deb on tv and watch most on other channels.. I don't listen to radio and refuse to watch rubbish like Home and Gone Astray and Mob Next Door. How many ways can you write "who's up who and who's paid the rent?". I want things that stimulate my brain, news, current affairs, David Attenborough otherwise, being deaf, I'm happy to live in silence with a decent book. NOT ROMCOM...I hope they leave Deb on tv. She does a great job alongside Ally.

Reactions: Petra

View attachment 36210

Key Takeaways

I like Michael but I do not listen to radio during the day. so i will not help ratings. It is a cutthroat job.

View attachment 36210

Key Takeaways

Deb was reasonable, sensible and fair. Silly to get rid of her !

I have no idea who this bloke is but Deb doesn't deserve this. Typical of Channel 9 .....stuff it up and all will be well. I happen to like Deb on tv and watch most on other channels.. I don't listen to radio and refuse to watch rubbish like Home and Gone Astray and Mob Next Door. How many ways can you write "who's up who and who's paid the rent?". I want things that stimulate my brain, news, current affairs, David Attenborough otherwise, being deaf, I'm happy to live in silence with a decent book. NOT ROMCOM...I hope they leave Deb on tv. She does a great job alongside Ally.
Agree wholeheartedly