Debate flares up over tradie’s unexpected request

In recent years, many have observed the rise of the tipping culture from the US within Australia’s borders.

In other countries, tipping is seen as a form of showing appreciation for great service.

In the past, the general sentiment in the country has been against tipping.

However, a shift might be on the horizon as the tipping debate unexpectedly resurfaced following a story of an electrician requesting a tip, causing a stir online.

One baffled Aussie posted about the peculiar occurrence on social media, writing: ‘Just had the most charismatic electrician over. He fixes the issue in no time, and then he hits me with, “How about a tip for that quick fix, mate?”’

He brushed off the incident with a laugh, but he said sparked a thought: when did tradespeople start seeking tips?

electrician-2755683_1280.jpg
An electrician sparked debate among Aussies after a ‘cheeky’ tip request. Image source: Pixabay

This anecdote, not surprisingly, led to a fiery debate with a lot of confusion about the wages of electricians and other service professionals.

One comment read: ‘Sparkies have drop sheets made of $50 notes. What a cheeky bugger!’

Another replied: ‘I wish. Usually, the employees don't make that much. My old boss charged $110 an hour, the staff made about $38 an hour and he made 5 bucks an hour off each person after business expenses insurance etc came out.’

The talk swiftly changed from confusion to discontent about tipping tradies, with some firmly against adopting the practice.

Someone commented, ‘We don't tip here. If he wants one, tell him to move to the States.’

However many users argued that tipping was trivial.

‘I'm sure almost every profession could ask for tips I'd they did a good job. This guy obviously has the balls for it. So no biggie if people say no and a win if someone [says] yes,’ another pointed out.

In a comparable situation, the same sentiment was echoed in the responses to Louve Collection, a mobile phone accessory store.

They recently suggested customers add a ‘gratuity’ to their purchases, with options of 5, 10, or 15 per cent.

‘Yeah nah... YOU support the team by paying living wages. There is no way the grateful staff are seeing any of that,’ one user said upon seeing proof of the tip request online.

‘Leave that c**p in America. Don't buy from any site that asks for tips. Abandoned baskets send a clear message, and the practice should die out,’ another user expressed in frustration.

fd8a0990-52be-11ee-bc6e-ec8cb7c3844c.jpg
Louve Collection faced online backlash for requesting tips for its staff. Image source: Instagram/Reddit

As the discussion rages on about the controversial practice, others say tipping might just be on its way to becoming part and parcel of Aussie life.

Sydney Electrician and Business Owner Adrian Faull shared his opinions on the matter, and he said that while it's not common for tradies to seek tips, it doesn't rule out the possibility of this becoming the ‘new norm’.

‘We’ve been given beer and some customers ask if we would like a coke or cup of tea,’ he said,

‘I've never thought about it before but maybe tips are a creative way of evolving the service industry for tradesmen?’

Faull also mentioned that if any of his staff were to receive tips in the future, they would rightfully keep them as a recognition of their excellent work.

As per the Electrical, Electronic, and Communications Contracting Award 2020, an apprentice over 21 in their first year is entitled to a minimum rate of $23.05 per hour.

This base rate doesn't account for overtime, penalty rates, or travel time.

Australian online employment marketplace Seek reports that the average yearly salary for Electrician roles in Australia falls within the $85,000 to $105,000 range.

This range aligns with the average annual salary for all Australian Tradesperson jobs.
Key Takeaways

• A debate emerged on social media when a customer was asked for a tip by an electrician, a practice uncommon in Australia.
  • Sydney electrician and business owner, Adrian Faull, believed that the tipping culture could potentially be introduced to the trades industry.
  • Opinions were divided among social media users, with some arguing it's not the Australian way to tip, while others found it acceptable.
  • Louve Collection, a mobile phone accessory store, recently faced backlash for encouraging customers to tip.
Members, how do you feel about tipping becoming a norm? What scenarios do you believe warrant a tip? And on the flip side, would you appreciate a tip for a job well done?

Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Reactions: Littleboy8
Sponsored
No tipping is one of the many things I love about Australia. I have lived in Canada and the US for 23 of my 69 years. I can’t see how tipping would be expected here when people are paid enough not to rely on tipping, unlike North America.

If you don't ask you don't receive. Usually, a 'tradie' will give an option of receipt for work or cash in hand with no receipt. There's the real tip, no GST paid or potential taxable income declared. Irrespective of what people do when they go shopping, Cash is still king in the trades.

Reactions: Leenie and DLHM
No way, tradies charge like wounded bulls these days and then have the hide to ask for a tip.
I'd tip them right out the front door.
I always offer coffee or a can of cold drink, but that's it.
So they come and do the job, which they have usually quoted you for, and then ask for a tip for doing a good job. What was the quote for, a crap job, and then you pay more for a good job.
Get real, what a bloody joke??!!!!
Anybody who pays a tip needs their head read.
I totally agree. Was quoted $1200 for some floorboards to be laid 18 months ago, lost a lot of hours at work so couldn't proceed, now it's a quote for $8000! Only tipping going on here is me tipping over the edge.😀

I totally agree. Was quoted $1200 for some floorboards to be laid 18 months ago, lost a lot of hours at work so couldn't proceed, now it's a quote for $8000! Only tipping going on here is me tipping over the edge.😀
🤬that’s outrageous🙀

Reactions: Leenie