Daytime's Diva of Dirt: Remembering Soap Icon Andrea Evans, Gone Too Soon

In a heart-breaking turn of events, soap opera sensation Andrea Evans has tragically passed away at age 66, losing her battle against breast cancer, as confirmed by sources.

The beloved actress, renowned for her portrayal of the mesmerising vixen Tina Lord on the hit ABC series One Life to Live, had captured the hearts of fans nationwide.

Evans, known for portraying Rebecca Hotchkiss on NBC/DirecTV's Passions, took her last breath in the comfort of her California home.

The news was confirmed by esteemed casting director Don Carroll, who relayed the update to The Hollywood Reporter.

Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 9.16.46 AM.png
The soap star passed away at home after battling breast cancer. Credit: Facebook/Andrea Evans.

Throughout her illustrious career, Evans's portrayal of Tina Lord captured the imagination of soap opera enthusiasts worldwide. With her fiery demeanour and irresistible allure, she became a force to be reckoned with on the small screen.

PEOPLE even crowned her character 'Daytime's Diva of Dirt'. From 1979 to 1981 and again from 1985 to 1990, Evans breathed life into Tina Lord, etching her name into the annals of soap opera history.

However, her remarkable career had its share of adversity and chilling encounters.

Her career soared to new heights after successfully portraying Patty Williams on The Young and the Restless from 1983 to 1984—so much so that it even garnered her a nomination for a prestigious Daytime Emmy.

Little did she know that this recognition would trigger a series of events that would plunge her into a nightmarish ordeal. In 1987, a shocking encounter inside the lobby of One Life to Live's Manhattan studio forced Evans to make a life-altering decision.

Evans found herself trapped in the clutches of a relentless stalker, whose actions grew increasingly disturbing and threatening. Reports surfaced detailing the stalker's desperate attempts to gain her attention, including self-inflicted harm on the very steps of the studio.

The individual even listed Evans as his next of kin during his psychiatric hospitalisation.

As the relentless harassment took its toll, Evans turned her back on her career and shied away from the limelight. Despite eventually resuming acting roles, she adopted a self-imposed exile from public events and remained shielded from prying eyes.

In an interview with PEOPLE magazine in 2008, she said the incidents ‘forever changed’ her. 'There's no way it could not,’ she admitted.

Despite her harrowing ordeal, Evans summoned the courage to revisit the character that made her a household name. In 2008 and 2011, she made guest appearances on the iconic One Life to Live, offering fans a nostalgic glimpse into the world of Tina Lord once again.

'It's time to give the audience what they want,' she said then. 'And it's time for me to get closure on why I left in the first place.'

'For many years, both fans of mine and One Life to Live have wanted me to return,' she said in a statement. 'Now that the timing is right, I'm thrilled to be returning to the role of Tina, which I've always held near and dear to my heart.'

Evans's talent continued to shine bright, earning her a second Daytime Emmy nomination in 2015 for her captivating performance as Vivian Price in the web series DeVanity.

From her notable portrayal in the long-running series Passions (2000-2008) to her captivating performances as Patty and Gillian Walker in The Bay (2017-2020), Evans left an indelible mark on the soap opera genre.

Her talent also graced the silver screen, as she starred in notable films such as the 1994 crime-comedy A Low Down Dirty Shame, the chilling 1995 slasher flick Ice Cream Man, and the gripping 2011 action-thriller Hit List.

In addition to her illustrious acting career, Evans had embarked on a deeply personal journey. The completion of her forthcoming memoir, My One Life to Live, promised to offer a candid and revealing glimpse into the highs and lows she experienced throughout her life and career.

As the curtains fall on Evans's remarkable life, she leaves behind a loving husband, Steve Rodriguez, whom she married in 1998, and her 19-year-old daughter, Kylie. Her family's unwavering support and love were a guiding light during her darkest times.

Before her marriage to Rodriguez, Evans was briefly married to her One Life to Live co-star, Wayne Massey, from 1981 to 1983.

Key Takeaways

• On Sunday, soap star Andrea Evans, aged 66, passed away at her home after battling breast cancer.
  • She leaves behind her husband, Steve Rodriguez, and their 19-year-old daughter, Kylie.
  • Evans gained recognition for her portrayal of Tina Lord on One Life to Live, but she became widely known for taking a hiatus from the show due to a persistent stalker.

Andrea Evans's journey embodied the triumph of the human spirit over adversity. From her unforgettable performances on screen to her unwavering strength in the face of darkness, she will forever be remembered as a beacon of inspiration within the entertainment industry.

Rest in peace. May her legacy shine brightly, reminding us all that even in the face of the greatest challenges, one can find the strength to prevail.

• Sad
Reactions: Zoya and Annette V
Sponsored
Never heard of her and don’t want to read all this stuff!

Another one I've never heard of. Has the show was in even shown here?

My sister in law watched these in the 80s and as she lived with us I sometimes watched I remember her by the photos only.

My favourite soap and the only one I really watched was Another World.
Sad for her husband and daughter

RIP
That's still young - Yes sad for families and those closest to her - may she rest in peace now.