Dangerous bacterial infections are on the rise. Here's what you should know

It appears that there has been a recent surge in severe and invasive bacterial infections. While these are not as contagious as the coronavirus, it's crucial not to take these lightly.

This year alone, we've witnessed 28 cases of meningococcal disease and 544 cases of invasive group A Streptococcus (iGAS), and more is anticipated in the near future.

Dr Trevor Chan, the Clinical Director of the Emergency Care Institute at the Agency for Clinical Innovation, has warned about the potential dangers of these cases.

'It's very important the community is aware of the risks of these infections,' he said.

'While meningococcal (disease) and iGAS are rare, both can be very serious and cause death or permanent disability. Bacterial infections, like meningococcal and iGAS, can lead to sepsis, a life-threatening condition.'

Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 10.30.41 AM.png
An increase in severe and invasive bacterial infections has prompted an urgent warning from health professionals. Credit: Unsplash.

According to the expert, the highest risk for meningococcal and iGAS diseases occurs during late winter and early spring. Recognising the signs and symptoms is crucial if we want to identify these infections before they become too serious.

Meningococcal disease can manifest with severe headaches, neck stiffness, sensitivity to bright lights, joint or limb pain, and an initial blotchy red or purple rash.

On the other hand, the signs of iGAS include a rapidly spreading skin infection that is red, warm, and painful, possibly resulting in ulcers or pus. These symptoms may be accompanied by fevers, chills, dizziness, shortness of breath, chest pains, nausea, vomiting, headaches, and a stiff neck.

In children, iGAS can resemble a rash similar to sunburn.

While still uncommon, the number of IGAS cases has increased over time. For instance, in Australia, the rate of this condition has risen from 3.7 cases per 100,000 children in 2018 to 5.2 cases per 100,000 children in the third quarter of 2022, according to a study published in the Lancet Regional Health.

In 2020, there were 23 cases of this condition in children, which increased to 107 cases in 2022. There's more to this story here in this article.

1694664950684.png

That's why Dr Chan stresses the importance of being aware of the symptoms and acts accordingly to get help should they develop.

'In the early stages, invasive bacterial infections can appear similar to more common viral illnesses. Occasionally, they can occur at the same time or follow a viral infection,' he said.

'We urge people to pay close attention to symptoms, trust their instincts, and seek urgent medical care if symptoms worsen or if they or the people they care for are getting worse.'

How does meningococcal disease spread?

Meningococcal bacteria are transmitted through secretions from the back of the nose and throat. Typically, close and prolonged contact is required for transmission from one person to another. Meningococcal bacteria do not survive well outside the human body.

According to the New South Wales Health Department, the disease is not easily spread by sharing food, drinks, or cigarettes.

Anyone who wants to protect themselves against meningococcal disease should talk to their doctor. You can check to see if you're vaccinated by viewing your immunisation history statement through Medicare.

Key Takeaways

• Severe and invasive bacterial infections are increasing, prompting urgent warnings from health professionals.
  • Meningococcal disease and invasive group A Streptococcus (iGAS) can lead to sepsis, a life-threatening condition, and have been reported in an increasing number of cases.
  • Symptoms of meningococcal disease and iGAS are varied and may appear similar to common viral illnesses; thus, health authorities are urging community members to be vigilant.
  • Urgent medical care should be sought if symptoms worsen, even in the early stages of these infections, as intervention and treatment can be life-saving.

You can prevent getting or spreading bacteria by frequently washing your hands with soap and water. Also, remember to keep wounds clean and covered until they heal.

Members, please take care and stay alert. If you know of anyone who may have been exposed to either of these illnesses, they must seek medical help immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I just wonder why these illnesses are becoming more common, are our hygiene standards slipping so much we are opening the gate for them.

I think we have become so focused on Covid that we have lost thought of other things that are out there. I can't count how many people I know who did not bother with the usual winter flu vaccinations because they are över it" and think they don't need any more because they have had the C19 vaccinations.
As soon as the rules relaxed regarding masks and sanitation, we also saw in increase in all kinds of things, like flu. It is the world we live in. My husband and I still continue to wear our masks when we are mingling with the masses, like, shopping centres, hardware stores, supermarkets and any other place that attracts numbers of folk in one spot.
We still use sanitisers and carry essentials with us. It does not take a lot to be cautious, especially if you are high risk.

In the past I have had several ulcers on my legs. One Doc says to only keep them bandaged whilst they are being treated which can be months. Another tells you to leave them open to the air to heal. Which shou7ld we go along with?

In the past I have had several ulcers on my legs. One Doc says to only keep them bandaged whilst they are being treated which can be months. Another tells you to leave them open to the air to heal. Which shou7ld we go along with?
Those ulcers can be a devil of a thing to get under control.
Doctors/Nurses want you to keep them bandaged because of the possibility of infection. They also recognise the need to leave them open to heal. The only way you can do both is stay at home until they do heal. Better get used to being happy in your own company.
My late mother in law had terrible ulcers (diabetic sufferer). She had them for a long, long time. When she finally agreed to try alternatives, I got into a daily treatment process with her. Things like salt water, manuka honey, and, yes the fresh air at home. I changed her dressings every day, sometimes left them to air at home then added them at night. When I added the dressings, I gave the ulcers a light dusting of antiseptic powder (over the counter from chemist) when I applied them. The biggest problem was the seepage. I got that under good control with the powder, and, daily bathing in salt water.
The ulcers did diminish, but I drove her crazy with my determined attention over a good period of time.
Every person is different and not all doctors are open to the stuff I did. It all depends on the ulcer I guess.

Reactions: Ricki and Macarj