Cyclone Kirrily leaves thousands of homes powerless as it crosses the Australian coast

The tranquillity of the Australian coast was shattered as the monstrous Tropical Cyclone Kirrily made landfall on Thursday night, leaving tens of thousands of homes without power and sparking new warnings of flash flooding for central and western Queensland.

The cyclone, one of the most powerful systems seen in the north, has caused significant damage and disruption to the lives of many.

Cyclone Kirrily, which approached the coast as a severe Category 3 system, produced wind gusts up to 170km/h, making it a formidable force of nature.

Cyclone Kirrily’s intensity lowered to Category 2 before making landfall yesterday at 10 pm and eased to a Category 1 system after moving inland, with maximum gusts of 120km/h on Friday midnight.

As it moved inland, it was downgraded to a tropical low as it crossed the coast across northwest of Townsville, but not before it had wreaked havoc.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 7.39.16 AM.png
Cyclone Kirrily became a tropical low as it made landfall in Queensland. Credit: @BOM_au / X

Senior Meteorologist Miriam Bradbury had said: 'It will carry a lot of that moisture with it, gradually pushing it through central and then more western parts of Queensland.'

'It was more of a wind event than a rain event,' Bradbury shared this morning.

'The rainfall totals only reached 50 to 70mm but plenty of wind damage, with many trees down and debris on the roads and that sort of thing.'

North Queensland had already taken precautions and hunkered down by 2 pm AEST last Thursday as winds intensified.

Offshore coral formations experienced maximum gusts reaching 140km/h, accompanied by continuous winds exceeding 116km/h.

In closer proximity to the coast, the highest gusts were recorded at 107km/h near Alva Beach and approximately 91km/h in the Townsville area.

At around 4 am today, Kirrily was positioned approximately 170km west-southwest of Townsville and 125km west-northwest of Charters Towers. It was moving in a southwest direction at a speed of 24km/h.

The cyclone's impact was felt most acutely in Townsville, where more than 40,000 homes were left without power.

The city's electricity supplier, Ergon, has already started assessing the damage this Friday morning, underscoring the severity of the situation.

In addition to the power outages, the cyclone also caused significant damage to infrastructure.

Boats were reported to have broken loose from their moorings and become stranded along the waterfront in Townsville.

The cyclone also led to the closure of Townsville airport and more than 120 schools, with hundreds of emergency services on standby.

Many Australia Day events set for Friday were cancelled, and train services north of Rockhampton in Queensland were stopped.

You may watch the situation of Townsville below:

Credit: @OreboundImages / X

The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) issued a severe weather warning for communities in the system's path, forecasting intense rainfall, which could lead to 'life-threatening' flash flooding in some areas.

BOM reported that heavy rain, which could result in flash flooding, is happening in the northern areas of the Northern Goldfields and Upper Flinders, North Tropical Coast, and Herbert and Lower Burdekin districts.

The heavy rain was forecast to extend further inland towards Richmond today and into the northern parts of the Central West district this Friday evening or early Saturday morning.

Expect rainfall totals ranging from 80 to 120mm over a six-hour period, with 24-hour totals potentially reaching up to 180mm, especially on the northern side of the tropical low.

There is also a risk of locally intense rainfall that could result in dangerous and life-threatening flash flooding in the same area.

Tip
Dial Triple Zero (000) for emergencies requiring Police, Fire, or Ambulance assistance. For help with a damaged roof, rising floodwater, fallen trees on buildings, or storm damage, dial SES at 132 500 or use the SES app.
Key Takeaways
  • Tropical Cyclone Kirrily struck the Queensland coast and was downgraded to a tropical low after moving inland, causing extensive damage and power outages.
  • Despite being downgraded, it continued to pose threats of strong winds and heavy rain, leading to flash flooding warnings for central and western Queensland.
  • Over 40,000 homes were left without electricity, with significant damage reported in Townsville and the surrounding areas due to wind and falling trees.
  • Emergency services were on standby, with schools and airports closed and severe weather warnings issued for intense rainfall and potential 'life-threatening' flash flooding.
Have you been affected by Cyclone Kirrily? Share your experiences and advice for others in the comments below.

Sponsored
Tea in a storm cup.
Really not much in it; certainly nothing like the Armageddon promised by the media. Townsville dodged the bullet, almost totally. We here in the Tablelands got the bulk of the rain (as if WE needed it!), while Townsville's Ross River Dam last night was only about 65% full.
Plenty of photo-op exposure for the Politicians, etc., before the event though!

Reactions: maherdj
My thought exactly. Why aren't all power lines underground? The initial cost is high but worth the effort in the long-run.
Daughter in Gordonvale brought a generator when it looked like it could be heading their way..ah well, they now have one for future events.
Your daughter is a clever lady & needs to be congratulated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Littleboy8
Tea in a storm cup.
Really not much in it; certainly nothing like the Armageddon promised by the media. Townsville dodged the bullet, almost totally. We here in the Tablelands got the bulk of the rain (as if WE needed it!), while Townsville's Ross River Dam last night was only about 65% full.
Plenty of photo-op exposure for the Politicians, etc., before the event though!
'TEA IN A STORM CUP??? Were you in the wrong place at the wrong time? Can't blame the weather bureau.

ls Kirrily a female name, & we know what women are like when it comes to changing their minds, don't we? Perhaps Kirrily changed direction & you were in it's path where you were not before?

I WOULD BE HAPPY IN THE KNOWLEDGE I WAS FOREWARNED & THEREFORE FOREARMED. Wouldn't you say so?

'TEA IN A STORM CUP??? Were you in the wrong place at the wrong time? Can't blame the weather bureau.

ls Kirrily a female name, & we know what women are like when it comes to changing their minds, don't we? Perhaps Kirrily changed direction & you were in it's path where you were not before?

I WOULD BE HAPPY IN THE KNOWLEDGE I WAS FOREWARNED & THEREFORE FOREARMED. Wouldn't you say so?
I certainly would!

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8
Isn’t it “storm in a teacup”🤣
Precisely.
Intentionally expressed arse-about, as a reflection of just how bad the BOM service has been in my part of the world (Far North Queensland) for the past few years. They took away their Cairns Bureau and have been running everything "on the cheap" from Brisbane.

Reactions: maherdj
Precisely.
Intentionally expressed arse-about, as a reflection of just how bad the BOM service has been in my part of the world (Far North Queensland) for the past few years. They took away their Cairns Bureau and have been running everything "on the cheap" from Brisbane.
Yeah righto if you say so mr whippy🤣

Last edited:
That’s what I did but I didn’t type in mr whippy the word changer did it so I just left it cos I thought it was funny.🤣
HaHa. And I thought that was original work! - I got a picture in my head of the creepy old man that used to drive around in the Mr Whippy Van selling Listeria ridden soft-serve ice-creams to children.

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8
HaHa. And I thought that was original work! - I got a picture in my head of the creepy old man that used to drive around in the Mr Whippy Van selling Listeria ridden soft-serve ice-creams to children.
I gave up trying to change it so I thought well just leave it🤣
I loved those ice creams but never would eat them today. You dont know if they wash there untensils properly.😊

Reactions: Ezzy
The tranquillity of the Australian coast was shattered as the monstrous Tropical Cyclone Kirrily made landfall on Thursday night, leaving tens of thousands of homes without power and sparking new warnings of flash flooding for central and western Queensland.

The cyclone, one of the most powerful systems seen in the north, has caused significant damage and disruption to the lives of many.

Cyclone Kirrily, which approached the coast as a severe Category 3 system, produced wind gusts up to 170km/h, making it a formidable force of nature.

Cyclone Kirrily’s intensity lowered to Category 2 before making landfall yesterday at 10 pm and eased to a Category 1 system after moving inland, with maximum gusts of 120km/h on Friday midnight.

As it moved inland, it was downgraded to a tropical low as it crossed the coast across northwest of Townsville, but not before it had wreaked havoc.

View attachment 39973
Cyclone Kirrily became a tropical low as it made landfall in Queensland. Credit: @BOM_au / X

Senior Meteorologist Miriam Bradbury had said: 'It will carry a lot of that moisture with it, gradually pushing it through central and then more western parts of Queensland.'

'It was more of a wind event than a rain event,' Bradbury shared this morning.

'The rainfall totals only reached 50 to 70mm but plenty of wind damage, with many trees down and debris on the roads and that sort of thing.'

North Queensland had already taken precautions and hunkered down by 2 pm AEST last Thursday as winds intensified.

Offshore coral formations experienced maximum gusts reaching 140km/h, accompanied by continuous winds exceeding 116km/h.

In closer proximity to the coast, the highest gusts were recorded at 107km/h near Alva Beach and approximately 91km/h in the Townsville area.

At around 4 am today, Kirrily was positioned approximately 170km west-southwest of Townsville and 125km west-northwest of Charters Towers. It was moving in a southwest direction at a speed of 24km/h.

The cyclone's impact was felt most acutely in Townsville, where more than 40,000 homes were left without power.

The city's electricity supplier, Ergon, has already started assessing the damage this Friday morning, underscoring the severity of the situation.

In addition to the power outages, the cyclone also caused significant damage to infrastructure.

Boats were reported to have broken loose from their moorings and become stranded along the waterfront in Townsville.

The cyclone also led to the closure of Townsville airport and more than 120 schools, with hundreds of emergency services on standby.

Many Australia Day events set for Friday were cancelled, and train services north of Rockhampton in Queensland were stopped.

You may watch the situation of Townsville below:

Credit: @OreboundImages / X

The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) issued a severe weather warning for communities in the system's path, forecasting intense rainfall, which could lead to 'life-threatening' flash flooding in some areas.

BOM reported that heavy rain, which could result in flash flooding, is happening in the northern areas of the Northern Goldfields and Upper Flinders, North Tropical Coast, and Herbert and Lower Burdekin districts.

The heavy rain was forecast to extend further inland towards Richmond today and into the northern parts of the Central West district this Friday evening or early Saturday morning.

Expect rainfall totals ranging from 80 to 120mm over a six-hour period, with 24-hour totals potentially reaching up to 180mm, especially on the northern side of the tropical low.

There is also a risk of locally intense rainfall that could result in dangerous and life-threatening flash flooding in the same area.

Tip
Dial Triple Zero (000) for emergencies requiring Police, Fire, or Ambulance assistance. For help with a damaged roof, rising floodwater, fallen trees on buildings, or storm damage, dial SES at 132 500 or use the SES app.
Key Takeaways

• Tropical Cyclone Kirrily struck the Queensland coast and was downgraded to a tropical low after moving inland, causing extensive damage and power outages.
  • Despite being downgraded, it continued to pose threats of strong winds and heavy rain, leading to flash flooding warnings for central and western Queensland.
  • Over 40,000 homes were left without electricity, with significant damage reported in Townsville and the surrounding areas due to wind and falling trees.
  • Emergency services were on standby, with schools and airports closed and severe weather warnings issued for intense rainfall and potential 'life-threatening' flash flooding.
Have you been affected by Cyclone Kirrily? Share your experiences and advice for others in the comments below.

Obviously the person who filed your report has never lived through a "severe" cyclone. As far as wind damage was concerned, it was a non-event. Some tree damage resulted, but nothing catastrophic, although some power lines were affected, there was virtually no damage to any other infra structure. I live in Ayr, and after being through some severe cyclones," Aivu" for example, I was wondering when this one was going to happen.

How many decades do Queenslanders have to endure power outages before they put the mains underground? Dont go on about price because networks would save mo ey by not having to replace poles and mains