Cybersecurity experts urge Aussies to perform this task to prevent scams

In today's digital age, keeping your data secure is one of the most crucial tasks.

Australian business owners face an unprecedented wave of cyber threats that could compromise sensitive data, disrupt operations, and erode customer trust.

With the rise of sophisticated hacking techniques, the need for robust cybersecurity measures has never been more critical.

The recent high-profile hacks affecting individuals and businesses served as a wake-up call, prompting cybersecurity experts to urge Aussie business owners to take action.

Cybersecurity experts from ViCyber have created the Cyber Health Test—a tool designed to help businesses strengthen their online security.

The Cyber Health Test assesses potential vulnerabilities in a business.

These vulnerabilities include outdated software, weak passwords, and access points for internet-connected devices like printers, smart lighting, and CCTV cameras.

compressed-pexels-cash register.jpeg
Businesses that use internet-connected items are prone to cyberattacks. Image Credit: Pexels/iMin Technology

The stakes are high, as evidenced by the major tech hacks on companies like Medibank and Optus, which have led to significant financial and reputational damage.

'Everybody deserves cybersecurity and protecting their digital assets,' Dr Aastha Gupta from Vicyber shared, highlighting the importance of safekeeping.

'Whether it's a fish and chip shop, the bookkeeper, your pharmacy, medical practices, all the way to a huge business.'

The Australian government also took a firm stance against ransomware payments made in the dark, with substantial fines for non-compliance.

According to the Australian Financial Review (AFR), 56 per cent of large Australian companies have experienced a ransomware attack since 2018.

About 73 per cent of these affected businesses opted to pay the ransom.

Some of the biggest ransomware targets include businesses related to healthcare, construction, retail, and manufacturing.

However, all businesses, regardless of industry, were still urged to keep their digital information safe.

Here are some tips for both Aussie business owners and individuals to keep sensitive information safe:
  • Regularly update your devices' software—this includes internet-connected gadgets like printers, robot vacuums, or CCTV cameras.
  • Regularly back-up your data, especially on mobile phones.
  • Use a password manager that could help you maintain strong, unique passwords.
  • Add an extra layer of security by using multi-factor authentication, such as security questions and two-factor authenticators.
  • Be mindful of the personal information you share online, as cybercriminals could use it for fraudulent activity.
By taking proactive measures and using tools like the Cyber Health Test, businesses could significantly reduce their risk of falling for cyberattacks.
Key Takeaways

• Australian business owners were urged to take a Cyber Health Test to assess the security risks in their businesses.
  • The Cyber Health test checks possible business vulnerabilities like outdated software, compromised passwords, and hacker-accessible devices.
  • The test, developed by ViCyber, was a response to the growing threat businesses face due to ransomware.
  • In response to recent high-profile cyber attacks, businesses were also advised to regularly update their software, use password managers, and enable multi-factor authentication for better security.
What do you think of ViCyber's Cyber Health Test? Share your experiences and cyber safety tips with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I've got security but get emails or texts saying my phone is under threat by hackers and to download this security app. Gets deleted and I scan my phone with my security. Won't download any security.

Here we go again!! Pics of Guy Sebastian and Richard Wilkins with sad faces leading to scams that could rob you of as much as you want to “invest”. These adds come from Google Ads and if SDC cannot do anything about getting them stopped on this website then we may be able to do something. If each member clicks on the “x” at the top right of the ad they will get a “feedback” link. Pressing this will give several options why you would want to give feedback. The only suitable option is “ad is inappropriate”. If everyone does this on each ad Google may get the message.

Bunning. A recent receipt had on it 8 of my plastic card numbers out of the 16 thereon. So that is 10 power 8 numbers that a hacker has to crunch through to get my card number. Possibly a bit time-consuming but with the appropriate computer program not impossible; the Bletchley Park code-cracking computers did as much between 1940 and 1945.

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Bunning. A recent receipt had on it 8 of my plastic card numbers out of the 16 thereon. So that is 10 power 8 numbers that a hacker has to crunch through to get my card number. Possibly a bit time-consuming but with the appropriate computer program not impossible; the Bletchley Park code-cracking computers did as much between 1940 and 1945.

We use a debit card with minimum balance. It seems you have to be so extra vigilant. Yet here is another story asking you to cli k on a site. Not this little black duck

Reactions: BeautifulMousey