Customers voice outrage over strict food policy at local cinema

The age-old tradition of sneaking a cheeky snack into the cinema has hit a snag on the Gold Coast.

A local cinema's strict food policy has left some patrons feeling more than a little disgruntled.

Cinebar Coolangatta, known for its 'budget-friendly Gold Class alternative' experience, has recently been criticised for enforcing a 'no outside food' rule that has divided its customer base and sparked a heated debate online.

Anita, a Gold Coast mum-of-three, shared her frustration after being denied entry to a school holiday screening of 'Wild Robot' because she had brought a few dietary-specific snacks for her children.

‘I’ve been to this cinema a handful of times and have always purchased popcorn and a drink combo and brought my water bottle in my bag from home with no issues,’ she said.

‘I’d learned from prior visits with my three young kids that there are limited options for fussy kids who also have dietary requirements, so on this particular visit, I had a small snack (a handful of dairy-free M&M’s and a snack packet of Burger Rings) in my bag, along with water. I also intended to purchase a popcorn and drink combo.’

1728004147417.png
Cinebar Coolangatta enforced a strict 'no outside food' policy, which has led to customer complaints and mixed opinions online. Credit: Shutterstock

Despite her intention to purchase additional items from the cinema, she was faced with surrendering her bag or missing the movie she had already paid for online.

‘I was left with the options of handing my bag over to be placed behind the counter or being refused entry to the movie I had previously paid for online with no option to obtain a refund,’ she added.

The incident has not gone unnoticed, with other customers echoing Anita's sentiments.

Nonna Margaret, 75, expressed her dismay when her grandchildren's lollies were confiscated.

‘What has the world come to?!’ she groaned.

‘I will go elsewhere from now on. What a performance over a small sweet treat for my grandkids.’

Another customer, K Raw, recounted a similar experience of feeling pressured to buy the cinema's food and having their items taken away.

‘I felt pressured into buying their overpriced food and drinks, with a staff member persistently asking if I was going to make a purchase. When I mentioned that I might come back later, he then demanded to check my bag,’ they said.

‘To my dismay, he found a raspberry lemonade, which is my son’s favourite treat. He took it away from us, making the situation extremely awkward and embarrassing.’

‘I would much rather spend a bit more money and buy Event Cinemas Gold Class tickets where the staff are friendly.’

Despite these complaints, Cinebar's CEO, Dave Taylor, stands by the policy, noting that it is communicated to customers during ticket purchasing and upon arrival at the cinema.

‘Our outside food or drink policy is actually no different to other cinemas,’ he explained.

‘As a local, family-owned business, we are sensitive to cost-of-living issues for Queenslanders, which is why we offer family-saver deals like four tickets for $49.’

‘Various dietary requirements are catered for,’

‘Because everything is made fresh, our kitchen can prepare various meals to suit most needs, including a range of gluten-free pizzas and Asian stir-fries and curries.’

‘We advise customers during the booking process about our outside food and drink policy and signage on arrival. If they do arrive with outside food or drink, we simply ask them to leave it at the box office counter where they can pick it up as they leave.’

The debate over the acceptability of bringing outside food into cinemas is not new, but recent events have certainly reignited it.

Amanda and Matt, both customers, defended the cinema's stance and highlighted the value and quality of the experience offered.

‘Some families can’t afford even standard movie tickets,’ she said.

‘Cinebar has great ticket pricing with reclining seats and offers a great experience for families. Eat before or after or pay more for a crappier, more crowded seat elsewhere if you don’t like the rules.’

‘Have some respect,’ Matt echoed.
Key Takeaways
  • A Gold Coast cinema, Cinebar Coolangatta, is enforcing a strict 'no outside food' policy, which has led to customer complaints and divided opinions online.
  • Some patrons, including Gold Coast mum Anita and Nonna Margaret, have expressed frustration after being refused entry or having their snacks confiscated due to the policy.
  • Cinebar's CEO, Dave Taylor, defends the policy, stating it's standard across cinemas and essential for the family-owned business.
  • While opinions vary, loyal customers like Amanda and Matt support the cinema's rules, citing the affordable ticket prices and quality experience.
Have you ever been turned away from a cinema for bringing your snacks? Should cinemas be more flexible with their food policies? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored