Customers share their outrage as prices of one popular egg brand go through the roof!

In the ever-changing landscape of grocery prices, Australian shoppers are no strangers to the occasional sticker shock.

Yet, the latest price hike at Woolworths left customers with more than just raised eyebrows.

Many shoppers were outraged as one pantry staple rose to unbelievable prices.

A dozen of Pace Farms Jumbo 800g Eggs now comes at a whopping $10.20.

The news of the price surge spread like wildfire after a Woolworths customer voiced their disbelief on social media.

'Are Woolworths done taking the p***?' they asked in the post, accompanied by a screenshot from the Woolworths website.

compressed-pace farms.jpeg
A dozen of Pace Farm eggs now cost $10.20 per dozen, earning ire from shoppers. Image Credit: Woolworths

'A dozen of eggs now costs $10.20?' they continued.

The price hike was not a case of supermarket mark-up.

The price increase is a direct result of a hike from Pace Farms itself.

According to a statement released by Pace Farms last 27 June, the egg industry has been hit hard by the recent avian influenza outbreak.

This, in turn, wreaked havoc on poultry farms nationwide.

Pace Farms also explained that they were implementing 'additional grading capacity at other locations' to mitigate the impact on egg availability.

Being one of Australia's largest egg producers, they acknowledged the potential effects this situation could have on customers and consumers.

'We are working as quickly as possible to rectify this situation,' they assured.

However, the path to stabilisation is rocky, as egg prices reflect the suppliers' struggles.

While Pace Farms has not commented further on the situation, Woolworths started offering alternatives for shoppers.

The supermarket giant started selling a range of eggs at various price points, including a budget-friendly Woolworths brand.

Yet, for those who prefer jumbo-sized eggs, it's either they pay the premium or switch to alternatives for the time being.

For our readers, this price hike is more than just a minor inconvenience.

With fixed incomes and careful budgeting a reality for many shoppers, price increases could have a significant impact on weekly grocery bills.

It's a stark reminder of the importance of shopping around and being open to trying different brands that may offer better value for money.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer expressed outrage over the significant price increase of Pace Farms Jumbo 800g Eggs to $10.20 per dozen.
  • The price hike occurred after a rise in supplier costs.
  • Pace Farms acknowledged the impact on egg availability due to avian influenza and started taking steps to increase grading capacity at other locations.
  • Woolworths started providing a variety of egg options at different price points, including in-house brand eggs.
Have you noticed a substantial increase in the cost of your usual supermarket items? How have you adjusted your shopping habits in response? Share your thoughts and budgeting tips with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Even cheaper if you buy caged eggs... and they come out of the same hole in the chook. IGA has them for around $4 a dozen and they aren't small.
I’m sure the poor chooks squashed up in cages would be so grateful for you buying their eggs to save a dollar 🤨. I will NEVER buy caged eggs, I’d rather do without

Reactions: Littleboy8
Even cheaper if you buy caged eggs... and they come out of the same hole in the chook. IGA has them for around $4 a dozen and they aren't small.
I always buy the cheapest eggs.
I do not discriminate between caged or free range.
But respect to those who think they are doing the hens a service by choosing free range.
The media has hit some emotional "save the hens" buttons, but when you look at the facts, caged hens are not cruelly treated at all.
Those who hold the emotional cards usually get air-time.
And "free range" does not mean all the hens go outside to forage.
It means the door is open for them to go out if they "wish" (thoughtful chooks!)
Most don't, and need to be chased outside, if they are to get out into the sunshine.
If all eggs sold had to be TRULY free range, farmers would need to run fewer hens on larger acreages. THEN you would have something to complain about, because eggs would be very much dearer than $10/doz.
Put it this way - supermarkets have a deal with dairy farmers, to sell milk at 1.60/litre.
This has been the case for years, meaning customers are saving around $3/litre. We consume 4L milk/week, saving +/- $6.

That more than compensates us for the rising price of eggs.
Producers have to eat, pay mortgages and run a car too, so be careful you don't demand too much.

First time I’ve seen a 4 legged chook!😆
A farmer in country New South Wales was selling live chooks from a roadside stall for $10 each.

A fellow pulled up and asked the farmer "$10 a chook? That's a bit rich!" The farmer replied "But these chooks are special. They have four legs!!"

The fellow then said "OK, I'll take two". But before he left, he had one last question for the farmer. "By the way. What do they taste like?"

The farmer replied "Dunno. Nobody has ever caught one yet!"

A farmer in country New South Wales was selling live chooks from a roadside stall for $10 each.

A fellow pulled up and asked the farmer "$10 a chook? That's a bit rich!" The farmer replied "But these chooks are special. They have four legs!!"

The fellow then said "OK, I'll take two". But before he left, he had one last question for the farmer. "By the way. What do they taste like?"

The farmer replied "Dunno. Nobody has ever caught one yet!"
Did you know mike the chicken from Colorado lived for eighteen months after having his head chopped off by his owner.
The farmer felt sorry for him he didn’t have the heart to put him down so he fed him through his neck is that wierd or what.
True story too.👍

I always buy the cheapest eggs.
I do not discriminate between caged or free range.
But respect to those who think they are doing the hens a service by choosing free range.
The media has hit some emotional "save the hens" buttons, but when you look at the facts, caged hens are not cruelly treated at all.
Those who hold the emotional cards usually get air-time.
And "free range" does not mean all the hens go outside to forage.
It means the door is open for them to go out if they "wish" (thoughtful chooks!)
Most don't, and need to be chased outside, if they are to get out into the sunshine.
If all eggs sold had to be TRULY free range, farmers would need to run fewer hens on larger acreages. THEN you would have something to complain about, because eggs would be very much dearer than $10/doz.
Put it this way - supermarkets have a deal with dairy farmers, to sell milk at 1.60/litre.
This has been the case for years, meaning customers are saving around $3/litre. We consume 4L milk/week, saving +/- $6.

That more than compensates us for the rising price of eggs.
Producers have to eat, pay mortgages and run a car too, so be careful you don't demand too much.
No matter what you say those caged birds suffer. They can’t even flap their wings It’s so confined in there. If I can get them I prefer to buy from hens on pasture, they are true free range. Barn laid eggs are not much different to caged eggs but free range are at least allowed outside. I have just discovered a farm close by now that have rescue hens and they are on pasture so in future that will be where I’ll be buying my eggs. I care about the hens, this is coming from someone with a really bad bird phobia, if one comes near me you would hear me scream from the other side of Australia lol.

No matter what you say those caged birds suffer. They can’t even flap their wings It’s so confined in there. If I can get them I prefer to buy from hens on pasture, they are true free range. Barn laid eggs are not much different to caged eggs but free range are at least allowed outside. I have just discovered a farm close by now that have rescue hens and they are on pasture so in future that will be where I’ll be buying my eggs. I care about the hens, this is coming from someone with a really bad bird phobia, if one comes near me you would hear me scream from the other side of Australia lol.
😍
🤣🤣🤣I’m laughing out loud

I do agree for sure.
But someone has to buy the cheap eggs, and it might as well be me.
The hens do not care who buys them.

I have a few rescue animals here - it's illegal to keep native wildlife so will not name the species.
But they are known as red-belly ***** and keep the rescue mice numbers stable (I seem to be breeding faster mice since the red belly rescue ***** moved in.

I have rescue fleas here - picked up at the pound when collecting the rescue dog.
They threatened to bath Rover and kill the fleas, but fortunately I saw what they were up to and told them I would take Rover as is.
Now I have dog hair and rescue fleas all through the car. I feel so good at having saved them.

I also have some rescue sparrows, but they have gone feral.
They now get in and eat all the laying pellets in the coop, but the feeling at having saved these endangered giant finches is priceless. Warm and fuzzy.

I'm thinking that my flea rescue has been so successful, that I seem to have a slight excess of them building up.

I think if I can train the sparrows to eat them, it would be a win win.
I bought this Sparrow Whisperer Booklet from the Internet.
It was free, but postage from North Korea was $125.
After I downloaded the link, my Internet stopped working, and it's cost me $275 to get the fleas cleaned some sort of virus removed from the computer.

Still no Sparrow Whisperer book, no $125 refund either - the computer techie told me to let them keep it. And Me and Rover still have an abundance of fleas.
I asked the lady at the Post Office why my book had not arrived.
She stared at me for a full 10 seconds, but then went into some sort of odd coughing spasm.
They asked me to leave.
Anyone know how to train sparrows?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
I have a few rescue animals here - it's illegal to keep native wildlife so will not name the species.
But they are known as red-belly ***** and keep the rescue mice numbers stable (I seem to be breeding faster mice since the red belly rescue ***** moved in.

I have rescue fleas here - picked up at the pound when collecting the rescue dog.
They threatened to bath Rover and kill the fleas, but fortunately I saw what they were up to and told them I would take Rover as is.
Now I have dog hair and rescue fleas all through the car. I feel so good at having saved them.

I also have some rescue sparrows, but they have gone feral.
They now get in and eat all the laying pellets in the coop, but the feeling at having saved these endangered giant finches is priceless. Warm and fuzzy.

I'm thinking that my flea rescue has been so successful, that I seem to have a slight excess of them building up.

I think if I can train the sparrows to eat them, it would be a win win.
I bought this Sparrow Whisperer Booklet from the Internet.
It was free, but postage from North Korea was $125.
After I downloaded the link, my Internet stopped working, and it's cost me $275 to get the fleas cleaned some sort of virus removed from the computer.

Still no Sparrow Whisperer book, no $125 refund either - the computer techie told me to let them keep it. And Me and Rover still have an abundance of fleas.
I asked the lady at the Post Office why my book had not arrived.
She stared at me for a full 10 seconds, but then went into some sort of odd coughing spasm.
They asked me to leave.
Anone know how to train sparrows?
I had a pet rescue sparrow named twerpie when I lived in tasmania he was easy to train just like my pet lorikeets. He was adorable lived until about 6 years old lovely little bird my guests in the lodge loved him.True story too.😊

Reactions: Ingot
I’m sure the poor chooks squashed up in cages would be so grateful for you buying their eggs to save a dollar 🤨. I will NEVER buy caged eggs, I’d rather do without
when you've worked with these chooks then speak. They are well cared for, loved by the workers and free from BIRD FLU which they are killed for.

Reactions: Ingot
If people didn’t buy them then the owners of the caged birds wouldn’t have a market for them and the hens would be free.

Why is there so much stupidity in people rushing to social media to rant about petty issues...time to grow up, use your brain and ask the question to those concerned...NOT TOTAL BLOODY STRANGERS!
Good grief Lisa. Are you having a bad day or just annoyed with people on social media?

You'd be surprised how many of these are actually born.Visit a chicken breeder and you'll certainly see some but they are usually killed on day 1. They get their neck wrung.
About 35 years ago, a Victorian pig farmer had a sow that gave birth to a litter of piglets. A few weeks later, the farmer noticed that one piglet grew much faster than the others. On closer inspection, the piglet was found to have no anus. The poor little rasher was literally full of shit!

Sadly, he was promptly put down. :cry:

About 35 years ago, a Victorian pig farmer had a sow that gave birth to a litter of piglets. A few weeks later, the farmer noticed that one piglet grew much faster than the others. On closer inspection, the piglet was found to have no anus. The poor little rasher was literally full of shit!

Sadly, he was promptly put down. :cry:
Crickey its weird the farmer didn’t realise when it was born that it had no pooh hole poor 🐷but they probably turned it into pork pie anyway.😋