Customers in outrage over discontinued Guzman y Gomez filling: ‘Bring back the filling’

The Australian food scene is no stranger to controversy, and the latest uproar involves the beloved Mexican fast-food chain Guzman y Gomez (GYG).

The restaurant has recently announced the discontinuation of its popular filling—a decision that has left vegetarian customers and mushroom lovers in a state of disbelief and disappointment.

Introduced in 2021, the shredded shitake mushroom filling quickly became a favourite among vegetarians and those seeking a healthier, plant-based option.

Its unique flavour and texture made it a standout choice in the GYG menu, and its removal has left a void that many customers are struggling to fill.

FB resize 174.jpg
Guzman y Gomez (GYG) discontinued its shredded shitake mushroom filling. Credit: Guzman y Gomez

A spokesperson for GYG confirmed the news, stating, 'Unfortunately, our Shredded Mushroom filling has been removed from menus.

‘We hope you can take advantage of our amazing sautéed veggie filling!'

However, for many customers, the sautéed veggie filling simply doesn't cut it as a replacement.

The announcement has led to a wave of reactions on social media, with customers expressing their disappointment and pleading with the chain to reconsider its decision.

One customer lamented, 'Bring back the mushroom filling. It is the only thing I order, and I order every week.'

Another echoed the sentiment, stating, 'I can't believe the mushroom filling is gone. It was so good.'

The decision sparked some humorous responses, with one customer quipping, 'I don't know who decided to take shredded mushrooms off the menu, but I hope your pillow is warm on both sides!'

In response to the public outcry, GYG issued a statement explaining that menu items, including fillings, are regularly reviewed based on popularity and sales.

'Unfortunately, our shredded mushroom filling wasn't selling enough to stay on our menu at this time,' the statement read.

However, the chain also hinted at future menu innovations.

They stated, 'GYG are working on new menu items in our test kitchen which are even more delicious, so we hope to have some new menu innovations for our guests to try soon! Watch this space!’

This is not the only instance when the beloved Mexican food chain received outrage. In a previous story, consultants filed a lawsuit against GYG, alleging the company’s practices and comments made by its leadership.

The allegations of discrimination, ageism, and even fat-shaming emerged from a recent court filing in California, where the company's ambitious plan to expand into the United States hit a roadblock. Read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Mexican fast-food chain Guzman y Gomez has discontinued its popular shredded shitake mushroom filling, causing upset among vegetarian customers.
  • The filling, introduced in 2021, was a favourite among vegetarian patrons.
  • The announcement sparked disappointed responses on social media, with many customers pleading for the reintroduction of the filling.
  • GYG issued a statement explaining that the shredded mushroom filling was not selling enough to stay on the menu and that they are working on developing new menu items.
Have you tried GYG’s shitake mushroom filling? Will you miss this popular filling, or are you excited to try new menu items? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Sponsored
The Australian food scene is no stranger to controversy, and the latest uproar involves the beloved Mexican fast-food chain Guzman y Gomez (GYG).

The restaurant has recently announced the discontinuation of its popular filling—a decision that has left vegetarian customers and mushroom lovers in a state of disbelief and disappointment.

Introduced in 2021, the shredded shitake mushroom filling quickly became a favourite among vegetarians and those seeking a healthier, plant-based option.

Its unique flavour and texture made it a standout choice in the GYG menu, and its removal has left a void that many customers are struggling to fill.

View attachment 36613
Guzman y Gomez (GYG) discontinued its shredded shitake mushroom filling. Credit: Guzman y Gomez

A spokesperson for GYG confirmed the news, stating, 'Unfortunately, our Shredded Mushroom filling has been removed from menus.

However, for many customers, the sautéed veggie filling simply doesn't cut it as a replacement.

The announcement has led to a wave of reactions on social media, with customers expressing their disappointment and pleading with the chain to reconsider its decision.

One customer lamented, 'Bring back the mushroom filling. It is the only thing I order, and I order every week.'

Another echoed the sentiment, stating, 'I can't believe the mushroom filling is gone. It was so good.'

The decision sparked some humorous responses, with one customer quipping, 'I don't know who decided to take shredded mushrooms off the menu, but I hope your pillow is warm on both sides!'

In response to the public outcry, GYG issued a statement explaining that menu items, including fillings, are regularly reviewed based on popularity and sales.

'Unfortunately, our shredded mushroom filling wasn't selling enough to stay on our menu at this time,' the statement read.

They stated, 'GYG are working on new menu items in our test kitchen which are even more delicious, so we hope to have some new menu innovations for our guests to try soon! Watch this space!’

This is not the only instance when the beloved Mexican food chain received outrage. In a previous story, consultants filed a lawsuit against GYG, alleging the company’s practices and comments made by its leadership.

The allegations of discrimination, ageism, and even fat-shaming emerged from a recent court filing in California, where the company's ambitious plan to expand into the United States hit a roadblock. Read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• Mexican fast-food chain Guzman y Gomez has discontinued its popular shredded shitake mushroom filling, causing upset among vegetarian customers.
  • The announcement sparked disappointed responses on social media, with many customers pleading for the reintroduction of the filling.
  • GYG issued a statement explaining that the shredded mushroom filling was not selling enough to stay on the menu and that they are working on developing new menu items.
Have you tried GYG’s shitake mushroom filling? Will you miss this popular filling, or are you excited to try new menu items? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Maybe it’s to do with the mushroom poisoning case is the reason why people are turned off🤔

I've never heard of them!

My kids buy and love Chebos burgers

Not too hard to make your own.

I made steak rolls last night with homemade chimi churi.

These burgers wouldn't be to hard to work out

I've never heard of them!

My kids buy and love Chebos burgers

Not too hard to make your own.

I made steak rolls last night with homemade chimi churi.

These burgers wouldn't be to hard to work out
Same here. There was a question about GYG on last night's Fastest Finger. Of course I got it wrong.

Besides all that, shredded Shiitake mushrooms sounds glorious.

Reactions: Leenie

View attachment 36613

Key Takeaways

Tried them? Never heard of them.

View attachment 36613

Key Takeaways

Don't go there anymore. Sick of supermarkets and restaurants discontinuing offerings

If you want real Mexican food get the recipe and make it at home. These takeaway joints do not measure up to the real thing at all and they will never ever look like the picture of the food offering on the wall.

Reactions: Leenie and Macarj
If you want real Mexican food get the recipe and make it at home. These takeaway joints do not measure up to the real thing at all and they will never ever look like the picture of the food offering on the wall.
Same as Maccas, Hungry Jacks, et al. The images of fat juicy burgers are due to being grossly undercooked, thereby retaining moisture before any shrinkage sets in. Could you imagine devouring a burger that is still mooing or crowing?

Reactions: Macarj

View attachment 36613

Key Takeaways

Yeah nah ... I don't buy GyG anymore. You used to get the equivalent of about an ice-cream scoop of filling. Now they use about a teaspoon. I go to Mad Mex.

Gyg are about to open in our city ,a bit of competition for the other take aways ,not that I will be giving them any custom. I prefer homemade you know what you are getting.
I wouldn't take their opening as a side of support for you city, fast food only open in lower economic areas where potentially arterial traffic will stop and those that live off fast food will see GYG as an alternative to KFC or Mcdonalds as an option for their daily consumption of fast food as a meal

Do we use the word “ beloved” to often?? Sitting here I can think of at least a dozen Synonyms, starting with revered…..favourite…..respected. How many more can you add. should we mix them up a little?

I wouldn't take their opening as a side of support for you city, fast food only open in lower economic areas where potentially arterial traffic will stop and those that live off fast food will see GYG as an alternative to KFC or Mcdonalds as an option for their daily consumption of fast food as a meal
Not a problem for me I don’t go to places like that ,I’m a fresh food person.