Customer 'disgusted' after discovering STRANGE clump in bag of rice bought from Woolies

One Woolies customer has taken to social media to complain about an alarming discovery he found in a pack of rice he bought from the supermarket.

Posting to Twitter, shopper James revealed that he was already halfway through the pack of Woolworths brand Basmati Rice before he discovered a large rock-like clump hidden among the grains of rice.

"WTF?!" he wrote in his tweet, followed by a photo of the bizarre find – it's brown and black in colour, and about 4cm long.

James said that he was left "pretty disgusted" by the surprising find, and called out the supermarket's quality control team because of the issue. "It's not exactly a small oversight," he reiterated.

eBZ7sd5j0pjodDP4oEMxm_X-Zyfg5bSaeFefLjIimK4RNCp5KC5BL6rDAuHDi2bWgoW2YjH71LJn2sQaRll2DvMdBWchV1mIPknrOF64nHbGBPORrH4oqKVcIUSNpsKVBhMpYam4

A Woolworths customer was left "disgusted" after finding a brown clump in his packet of rice. Credit: Twitter.

The supermarket giant has already responded to the complaint, and an online representative reached out to James and apologised for the incident.

"Your concerns are certainly understandable and we'd like to look into this for you," they replied. The representative then asked for more information regarding the product, assuring James they would be addressing this matter to one of their product quality teams.

"We're sorry to hear that you found a foreign object in a bag of rice you purchased from us. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and are looking forward to hearing from you soon."

A spokesperson for Woolworths has also clarified that this was an isolated incident and no further reports on their rice were made at this time.

"At Woolworths, we take food safety very seriously,” the spokesperson said. "We’ve spoken with the customer to offer them a refund and we are following the matter up with our rice supply partner."

It was never clarified what exactly the weird brown clump from the bag of rice might be, but a bit of quick research on the internet showed us that it might be caused by a few things.

Some users on Reddit guessed that it might be a clump of leftover rice bran, the discarded brown "skin" covering the grains of rice. Some rice bran and possibly bits of the rice stalk may have been accidentally included in the bag, all of which were left to form clumps inside.

Others suggested that the bag probably got a bit damp, activating the starch which glued some of the grains together.

Another user agreed and added: "That, or a few small areas of fungal growth. If it were me, I'd just throw those bits in the compost pile and eat the rest."

This is a sign to always remember to thoroughly wash your rice before cooking, folks!

Sponsored
Customer 'disgusted' after discovering STRANGE clump in bag of rice bought from Woolies

One Woolies customer has taken to social media to complain about an alarming discovery he found in a pack of rice he bought from the supermarket.

Posting to Twitter, shopper James revealed that he was already halfway through the pack of Woolworths brand Basmati Rice before he discovered a large rock-like clump hidden among the grains of rice.

"WTF?!" he wrote in his tweet, followed by a photo of the bizarre find – it's brown and black in colour, and about 4cm long.

James said that he was left "pretty disgusted" by the surprising find, and called out the supermarket's quality control team because of the issue. "It's not exactly a small oversight," he reiterated.

eBZ7sd5j0pjodDP4oEMxm_X-Zyfg5bSaeFefLjIimK4RNCp5KC5BL6rDAuHDi2bWgoW2YjH71LJn2sQaRll2DvMdBWchV1mIPknrOF64nHbGBPORrH4oqKVcIUSNpsKVBhMpYam4

A Woolworths customer was left "disgusted" after finding a brown clump in his packet of rice. Credit: Twitter.

The supermarket giant has already responded to the complaint, and an online representative reached out to James and apologised for the incident.

"Your concerns are certainly understandable and we'd like to look into this for you," they replied. The representative then asked for more information regarding the product, assuring James they would be addressing this matter to one of their product quality teams.

"We're sorry to hear that you found a foreign object in a bag of rice you purchased from us. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and are looking forward to hearing from you soon."

A spokesperson for Woolworths has also clarified that this was an isolated incident and no further reports on their rice were made at this time.

"At Woolworths, we take food safety very seriously,” the spokesperson said. "We’ve spoken with the customer to offer them a refund and we are following the matter up with our rice supply partner."

It was never clarified what exactly the weird brown clump from the bag of rice might be, but a bit of quick research on the internet showed us that it might be caused by a few things.

Some users on Reddit guessed that it might be a clump of leftover rice bran, the discarded brown "skin" covering the grains of rice. Some rice bran and possibly bits of the rice stalk may have been accidentally included in the bag, all of which were left to form clumps inside.

Others suggested that the bag probably got a bit damp, activating the starch which glued some of the grains together.

Another user agreed and added: "That, or a few small areas of fungal growth. If it were me, I'd just throw those bits in the compost pile and eat the rest."

This is a sign to always remember to thoroughly wash your rice before cooking, folks!

You might have bought it from Woolies, but was it a Woolies branded item. People are all too quick to label the stores where they come from, rather than the brand.

Reactions: Julia TH and Ricci
Reminds me of a time many years ago when I wrote to a company complaining about and enclosing a lump of something I found in a packet of potato chips. They wrote back telling me it was a lump of compacted earth that had been missed in the processing! And enclosing two 7c postage stamps by way of apology and compensation! 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci
Reminds me of a time many years ago when I wrote to a company complaining about and enclosing a lump of something I found in a packet of potato chips. They wrote back telling me it was a lump of compacted earth that had been missed in the processing! And enclosing two 7c postage stamps by way of apology and compensation! 🤣🤣
My son, at the age of 18 months at the time, wrote to Mr Fisher Price (with a little help from Dad!) telling him that he had had so much fun using his baby walker that the seat broke. He was upset about it as he wanted to pass it on to his baby sister so that she could learn to walk too. A while later a parcel arrived, addressed to my son and inside was a replacement seat, a teddy for his sister, a toy car for him and a letter from Mr Fisher Price saying that he was so glad to hear that son had enjoyed his walker, hoped his sister would be mobile as soon as Daddy fixed the new seat, and what a lovely boy he was to care so much! It doesn't take much for these big companies to take a little time and make an effort, it made his day, didn't cost Fisher Price anything much and ensured that the company had nothing but good press from us.:)

• Love
Reactions: Julia TH and SandyM
7c? must have been a long long time ago! lol

Reactions: Ricci