Customer claims popular ALDI sunscreen is dangerous: 'I can definitely tell you there is something wrong'

It’s summer, the time of year when we can all get outside, and enjoy the beautiful weather.

Many Aussies love taking advantage of all the activities that come with this season — barbecues, swimming, fishing, and more.

But as pleasant-sounding as these activities are, they do prompt something we should always remember: it's important to stay protected against the sun's harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays, especially here in Australia which has the highest incidence of skin cancer globally.

This need for protection has caused customers to turn to sunscreen products they deem reliable to protect their skin. Unfortunately, one product is at the centre of a scandal.

Specifically, customers have been calling on ALDI to recall its popular sunscreen offering, Ombra Sunscreen 50+ SPF Ultra, after several shoppers claimed they were left with severe sunburns despite using the product.

'I went kayaking with my partner and applied (the) ALDI sunscreen beforehand. I got very sunburnt which my doctor said was second-degree sunburn,' a customer told Yahoo! News.

'I also had blisters all over my legs which got infected. My feet were so swollen I couldn't walk.'

Second-degree burns, also called partial thickness burns, are characterised by damage to the skin up to its second layer called the dermis. This may present as a mottling of the skin in red and white, pale yellow, or dark red patches.

Sunscreens ideally help prevent sunburns by either absorbing UV rays or reflecting them away from the skin, which protects against damage to the skin’s cells.

pexels-photo-5202459.jpg
Some ALDI customers allege that Ombra Sunscreen Ultra failed to protect them from sun damage. Image Credit: Pexels/Karolina Grabowska

The label for Ombra states that it is ‘formulated to provide the highest protection for the family’ from the sun’s rays, and is also water-resistant for four hours.

ALDI also warns in the sunscreen’s product description that ‘prolonged high-risk sun exposure should be avoided’, and that ‘frequent reapplication of use in accordance with directions is required for effective sun protection’.

'I did not reapply — this was my mistake,’ the woman admitted. ‘However, I used Mecca Cosmetica brand sunscreen on my face, arms and neck (which I) also did not reapply but did not get sunburnt.’

Another customer shared that her family was also 'extremely' sunburnt after using the same ALDI-branded sunscreen.

'I can definitely tell you there is something wrong,' she said.

‘(My) hubby and my two children went paddle boarding and applied it 20 minutes prior. It was not reapplied as they were off the water after two hours but all three of my family were extremely burnt like never before.’

‘I actually thought no one had used sunscreen at all.’

Screenshot_3.png
One woman said her family used the ALDI-brand sunscreen before paddle boarding but they still ended up sunburnt. Image Credit: YouTube/Weekend Warrior Outdoor

Before this, she also said her husband also got sunburnt despite applying the ALDI product before going out to fish and paddle board as well.

‘Both incidents were using the new ALDI sunscreen we purchased last year. I have never had this happen and I have been using the ALDI sunscreen for years.’

The woman says her family hasn’t had a problem with sunburn since switching to a different product.

The two customers said they have reached out to ALDI with their complaints.

ALDI’s Ombra SPF 50+ brand sunscreen is currently rated 1.7 stars out of 5 on the customer review website Product Review.

The majority of the reviews are negative, with many claiming that the product is ineffective and similarly that they or other people still ended up getting sunburnt.

One review posted recently detailed a customer’s disbelief.

‘I don't know how this can even be approved for sale,’ the poster said.

‘Used according to directions and all the teens got burnt badly… This should have provided at least some protection but they might as well have not applied it. DO NOT BUY!!’

‘ALDI could see a class action with my experience as well as others… (They) need to recall this product immediately.’

1000855_ALN-11_PD_Q1_WEB-AUDIT_388x314_27a.jpg
ALDI’s Ombra Ultra SPF 50+ sunscreen finds itself in hot water anew over recent claims it’s ineffective. Image Credit: ALDI

On the flip side, the few positive reviews for the ALDI sunscreen (13 out of 92) praise it for its ease of application, cost, and texture.

One reviewer said: ‘This is an economical (and) effective sunscreen for the whole family. I use it as a day cream for my face and as protection for my hands when I am in the garden…This is a lovely texture and doesn't leave a sticky after feel. I have had no skin irritation from using this beautiful product. Well done once again ALDI!’

It should be noted that this isn’t the first time the said sunscreen was criticised for its alleged flaws.

In 2019, ALDI received a tide of complaints from disgruntled customers, with some even comparing the lotion to acid on the skin.

ALDI for their part said they would be looking into the recent claims levelled against their Ombre brand sunscreen.

‘We are always concerned to hear if a customer has experienced issues with our products and we will investigate any complaints submitted via our online help centre,’ they said.

‘ALDI Ombra sunscreens are extensively tested to ensure they meet best practice, safety and industry standards before they become available to customers. They are regulated by the Therapeutic Good Administration Australia (TGA) and ALDI adheres to all their requirements.’

Key Takeaways

• Several ALDI customers claim they were left with severe sunburn after using the ALDI-branded Ombra 50+ SPF Ultra sunscreen.
  • Customers have reported second-degree sunburn and blisters after using the product.
  • The sunscreen has many scathing one-star reviews online .
  • An ALDI spokesperson confirmed the sunscreen adheres to all requirements by the Therapeutic Good Administration Australia and they will investigate the complaints they have received.
Allegedly ineffective products aside, it's important to stay protected against the sun's rays all-year-round!

But did you know that there's a way to get the most out of sunscreen products that you might not be doing correctly?

You might also want to read about a product called ‘The Shader’ that could help shield you from the sun on hot days — if you’ve got $79.95 to spare!

So, what is your reaction to this story? Have you had similar experiences with the product if ever you’ve used it?

Tell us in the comments section below!

Source: YouTube/Cancer Council

Sponsored
Well don't buy sunscreen for $1.99!! :rolleyes:

This what they put on their advert....
This product may not be right for you
Always read the label, follow the directions for use and warnings before purchase
Sunscreens are only one part of sun protection
Prolonged high-risk sun exposure should be avoided and frequent reapplication or use in accordance with directions is required for effective sun protection

What else does she want them to do? Put it on for her?

She should get Cancer Council sunscreen for $7.97. It's even got insect repellent in it.

Always read the label, follow the directions for use and warnings before purchase
Prolonged high-risk sun exposure should be avoided and frequent reapplication or use in accordance with directions is required for effective sun protection

She should get Cancer Council sunscreen for $7.97. It's even got insect repellent in it.

Exactly. You get what you pay for. Always read instructions and reviews, especially when it’s something from an overseas owned store.
They don’t care about our cancer rating system, just the $ that they make from selling cheaper inferior products.
That’s my opinion anyway.
I hope that the sunburn clears up for your family and that there are no lasting complications.

It’s summer, the time of year when we can all get outside, and enjoy the beautiful weather.

Many Aussies love taking advantage of all the activities that come with this season — barbecues, swimming, fishing, and more.

But as pleasant-sounding as these activities are, they do prompt something we should always remember: it's important to stay protected against the sun's harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays, especially here in Australia which has the highest incidence of skin cancer globally.

This need for protection has caused customers to turn to sunscreen products they deem reliable to protect their skin. Unfortunately, one product is at the centre of a scandal.

Specifically, customers have been calling on ALDI to recall its popular sunscreen offering, Ombra Sunscreen 50+ SPF Ultra, after several shoppers claimed they were left with severe sunburns despite using the product.

'I went kayaking with my partner and applied (the) ALDI sunscreen beforehand. I got very sunburnt which my doctor said was second-degree sunburn,' a customer told Yahoo! News.

'I also had blisters all over my legs which got infected. My feet were so swollen I couldn't walk.'

Second-degree burns, also called partial thickness burns, are characterised by damage to the skin up to its second layer called the dermis. This may present as a mottling of the skin in red and white, pale yellow, or dark red patches.

Sunscreens ideally help prevent sunburns by either absorbing UV rays or reflecting them away from the skin, which protects against damage to the skin’s cells.

View attachment 12357
Some ALDI customers allege that Ombra Sunscreen Ultra failed to protect them from sun damage. Image Credit: Pexels/Karolina Grabowska

The label for Ombra states that it is ‘formulated to provide the highest protection for the family’ from the sun’s rays, and is also water-resistant for four hours.

ALDI also warns in the sunscreen’s product description that ‘prolonged high-risk sun exposure should be avoided’, and that ‘frequent reapplication of use in accordance with directions is required for effective sun protection’.

'I did not reapply — this was my mistake,’ the woman admitted. ‘However, I used Mecca Cosmetica brand sunscreen on my face, arms and neck (which I) also did not reapply but did not get sunburnt.’

Another customer shared that her family was also 'extremely' sunburnt after using the same ALDI-branded sunscreen.

'I can definitely tell you there is something wrong,' she said.

‘(My) hubby and my two children went paddle boarding and applied it 20 minutes prior. It was not reapplied as they were off the water after two hours but all three of my family were extremely burnt like never before.’

‘I actually thought no one had used sunscreen at all.’

View attachment 12358
One woman said her family used the ALDI-brand sunscreen before paddle boarding but they still ended up sunburnt. Image Credit: YouTube/Weekend Warrior Outdoor

Before this, she also said her husband also got sunburnt despite applying the ALDI product before going out to fish and paddle board as well.

‘Both incidents were using the new ALDI sunscreen we purchased last year. I have never had this happen and I have been using the ALDI sunscreen for years.’

The woman says her family hasn’t had a problem with sunburn since switching to a different product.

The two customers said they have reached out to ALDI with their complaints.

ALDI’s Ombra SPF 50+ brand sunscreen is currently rated 1.7 stars out of 5 on the customer review website Product Review.

The majority of the reviews are negative, with many claiming that the product is ineffective and similarly that they or other people still ended up getting sunburnt.

One review posted recently detailed a customer’s disbelief.

‘I don't know how this can even be approved for sale,’ the poster said.

‘Used according to directions and all the teens got burnt badly… This should have provided at least some protection but they might as well have not applied it. DO NOT BUY!!’

‘ALDI could see a class action with my experience as well as others… (They) need to recall this product immediately.’

View attachment 12356
ALDI’s Ombra Ultra SPF 50+ sunscreen finds itself in hot water anew over recent claims it’s ineffective. Image Credit: ALDI

On the flip side, the few positive reviews for the ALDI sunscreen (13 out of 92) praise it for its ease of application, cost, and texture.

One reviewer said: ‘This is an economical (and) effective sunscreen for the whole family. I use it as a day cream for my face and as protection for my hands when I am in the garden…This is a lovely texture and doesn't leave a sticky after feel. I have had no skin irritation from using this beautiful product. Well done once again ALDI!’

It should be noted that this isn’t the first time the said sunscreen was criticised for its alleged flaws.

In 2019, ALDI received a tide of complaints from disgruntled customers, with some even comparing the lotion to acid on the skin.

ALDI for their part said they would be looking into the recent claims levelled against their Ombre brand sunscreen.

‘We are always concerned to hear if a customer has experienced issues with our products and we will investigate any complaints submitted via our online help centre,’ they said.

‘ALDI Ombra sunscreens are extensively tested to ensure they meet best practice, safety and industry standards before they become available to customers. They are regulated by the Therapeutic Good Administration Australia (TGA) and ALDI adheres to all their requirements.’

Key Takeaways

• Several ALDI customers claim they were left with severe sunburn after using the ALDI-branded Ombra 50+ SPF Ultra sunscreen.
  • Customers have reported second-degree sunburn and blisters after using the product.
  • The sunscreen has many scathing one-star reviews online .
  • An ALDI spokesperson confirmed the sunscreen adheres to all requirements by the Therapeutic Good Administration Australia and they will investigate the complaints they have received.
Allegedly ineffective products aside, it's important to stay protected against the sun's rays all-year-round!

But did you know that there's a way to get the most out of sunscreen products that you might not be doing correctly?

You might also want to read about a product called ‘The Shader’ that could help shield you from the sun on hot days — if you’ve got $79.95 to spare!

So, what is your reaction to this story? Have you had similar experiences with the product if ever you’ve used it?

Tell us in the comments section below!

Source: YouTube/Cancer Council

That's the only one we have ever bought $1.99 your not going to get a good sunscreen

Ive started using Bondi Sands which i find is good. My daughter has used the ALDI one and had no problem.

Reactions: Thecla
It’s all the same product, from the same manufacturer in Australia. You just haven’t used enough, you have to use a teaspoon per limb. Not the products fault at all. I use Aldi sunscreen and use the right amount, never get burnt.
It may be from a good sunscreen manufacturer, but they would make it for Aldi under a different formula which won't be as good as the original otherwise they couldn't afford to sell it for $1.99.

It's like a lot of the cheaper food they sell thats made for them by other manufacturers.

It may be from a good sunscreen manufacturer, but they would make it for Aldi under a different formula which won't be as good as the original otherwise they couldn't afford to sell it for $1.99.

It's like a lot of the cheaper food they sell thats made for them by other manufacturers.

I have always been allergic to some ingredient in sunscreen. I can use the lip balm but whatever is used to break it down into a cream makes me burn like you. Even had the rep. from a very respected brand tell me not to use it again.

A lot of the foods come from the same manufacturers as the recognised brands, so why wouldn’t this be any different at a guess. Biscuits taste the same. Free range eggs are cheaper.

A lot of the foods come from the same manufacturers as the recognised brands, so why wouldn’t this be any different at a guess. Biscuits taste the same. Free range eggs are cheaper.
You are correct, but they don't make them the same quality as their own so a place like Aldi can call it a different name and sell it at a low price.
And I know Kellogg's never make cereals for anyone else.