Cruise employee reveals shocking passenger behaviour

Imagine stepping aboard a luxurious cruise ship, feeling the salty sea air and looking forward to several exciting adventure-filled days.

Now imagine that the charm of this journey begins to fade as you notice other passengers sauntering around with a complete disregard for basic hygiene protocols.

Lucy Southerton, a seasoned cruise professional, has aired her feelings about it all.

She talked about how certain behaviours can be deemed inappropriate and downright unhygienic.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 1.48.10 PM 1.png
A cruise employee talked about the most unhygienic behaviour of some passengers. Image source: chandlervid85 on Freepik.

And the one that tops her list? The barefoot crowds.

Lucy (28), who has been aboard cruise ships for almost a decade, was appalled at the sight of passengers often entirely shedding their footwear to explore the vast expanse of the vessel.

From shopping areas to the theatre, no area was exempt from the barefoot invasion.

This behaviour also often continued for the entire duration of the trip.

She shared that those who go barefoot are usually 'made fun of' by the crew members.

'Crew members generally make fun of passengers who deem it acceptable to walk around the cruise ship with no shoes on,' Lucy said.

'They will weave in and out of shops with no shoes on they will even think it appropriate to go to the theatre with no shoes on because technically they are indoors.'

'However any space outside of your cabin really, you should have your shoes on. And if you do want to walk around the cruise ship with no shoes on, just know that the crew members will be making fun of you.'

Lucy also cautioned against being rude towards staff members.

After all, you never quite know when you might need their assistance or when an opportunity to enjoy special deals may come your way.

This comes after another social media user, Marc Sebastian, warned about the word that cruisegoers should never say while on board.

'You’re not supposed to talk about the Titanic. Who knew that? I didn’t,' Marc said in the video, which has now been viewed 8.3 million times.

'I brought up to an entire room of people having lunch that our ship was only 100 feet longer than Titanic.'

'When I tell you that—utensils dropped, waiters gasped, it’s dead silent.'
Key Takeaways
  • A cruise worker has revealed that some passengers display poor hygiene by walking around the ship barefoot, which is considered dirty by the crew.
  • The crew reportedly makes fun of these passengers and regards walking without shoes in public areas other than your own cabin as inappropriate.
  • The cruise employee, Lucy Southerton, advised maintaining polite behaviour as it could lead to better service and potentially access to deals.
  • Another cruise-related tip shared by Marc Sebastian is to avoid mentioning the Titanic while on board, as it tends to be a sensitive topic for both passengers and crew.
Have you experienced something strange while on a cruise? Share your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
I wear shoes as little as possible because I have peripheral neuropathy and with bare feet, I can feel the surface better on which I’m walking.

However, I ALWAYS wear shoes outside my home. God knows what’s on the floor in hotels, shops, on cruise ships etc, especially if the area is carpeted. I’m quite severely germ phobic as well, and it makes me sick to see people barefooted in public.

I recall working in a facility for the assembly and testing of military equipment.

There were a group of people who rode bicycles 🚲 to work and didn't bring any other shoes with them.

When the facility manager noticed he handed out plastic boxes and gauze pads to them saying:

"If your toes get chopped off, use these to carry them to the hospital. But remember our insurance won't pay for sewing them back on!"

I took my grandson on a cruise to Fiji and the first night after the evening meal we went into one of the bars where a band was playing and people dancing and the water came to see what we wanted to drink, the following 12 nights we went to the same bar and before we had found a seat the waiter was at ourside with our drinkss.

I took my grandson on a cruise to Fiji and the first night after the evening meal we went into one of the bars where a band was playing and people dancing and the waiter came to see what we wanted to drink, the following 12 nights we went to the same bar and before we had found a seat the waiter was at our side with our drinks.

What a load of rubbish. Did you forget about the deck with pools. Surely flip flops are so close to barefoot it doesn’t matter. Some very
Nice ones at that

Reactions: Littleboy8 and what
Maybe it is a Queensland thing. Up north the people are too casual and often go bare feet everywhere or wearing very old falling apart rubber sandals. It is sickening especially to see little children doing the same. There is little to no sense of hygiene. I will never take a cruise: too many people crammed in one space… germs galore😳🤢

Reactions: PattiB
The ship staff will decide on correct dress protocol, there will be circumstances when barefoot is acceptable.
If you have a problem approach the pursers department.

Just for info, I spent 12 months as 3rd Engineer officer on P and O, dress code was very formal.

I think you are making a mountain out of mole hill, I am 80 years of age and I like to think young.

Reactions: Littleboy8 and what
I wear shoes as little as possible because I have peripheral neuropathy and with bare feet, I can feel the surface better on which I’m walking.

However, I ALWAYS wear shoes outside my home. God knows what’s on the floor in hotels, shops, on cruise ships etc, especially if the area is carpeted. I’m quite severely germ phobic as well, and it makes me sick to see people barefooted in public.
I would like to advise you to be extremely careful when not wearing shoes for you have Peripheral Neuropathy. My husband had it and also wore shoes but a couple of days he didn;t wear them and a small bruise appeared on the foot and that developed into having his foot amputated and eventually died. Your feet are very sensitive. Take a warning.

Reactions: amandaloisjupp1961
I would like to advise you to be extremely careful when not wearing shoes for you have Peripheral Neuropathy. My husband had it and also wore shoes but a couple of days he didn;t wear them and a small bruise appeared on the foot and that developed into having his foot amputated and eventually died. Your feet are very sensitive. Take a warning.
Omg that’s so sad😿I got tears reading this. Who knew this could happen from a bruise I’m so sincerely sorry for your loss.

Reactions: PattiB
Maybe it is a Queensland thing. Up north the people are too casual and often go bare feet everywhere or wearing very old falling apart rubber sandals. It is sickening especially to see little children doing the same. There is little to no sense of hygiene. I will never take a cruise: too many people crammed in one space… germs galore😳🤢
Those swimming pools are like ‘people soup’
Not for me either don’t need the gastro/ Covid or any other bacteria 🦠 hanging around yuk!

If you are diabetic you have to be very careful with your feet peripheral neuropathy or not .

I can’t go outside without wearing shoes I have sensitive feet going to the podiatrist is hairy enough for me I can’t stand my feet being touched .

Reactions: Littleboy8