Cranky note found by an unsuspecting Coles shopper on a pack of hot cross buns fuels the fury of Aussies everywhere — “Imagine being THIS angry?”

Cranky note found by an unsuspecting Coles shopper on a pack of hot cross buns fuels the fury of Aussies everywhere — “Imagine being THIS angry?”
It can't be denied that in Australia, hot cross buns are synonymous with Easter.

Despite it being only January, the popular bakery buy is already widely available thanks to supermarkets racing to release their unique range of hot cross buns — Woolworths' Caramilk hot cross buns and Coles' Vegemite hot cross buns.

While most of us are delighted that our favourite Easter treat is back on the shelves, one person seems to be playing the role of the “Easter Grinch” as they left an “Easter egg” on a pack of hot cross buns inside a Coles store in Perth.

The cranky note, found by an unsuspecting shopper, read: “The last time I checked, the celebration of the birth and death of Jesus were not separated by less than a month.”

e_1VjCivwUP2AwYsRP32lbX8dcJPG3dKkp1qVFqJ4oeyovkm_uvIAuB92Zd4leVvKINIOdi-9fTY8-rJzQeRLghexCuisV1h1sBfVqxa-eA2szqIukJ4_KY1HUYFmLIQGE7cpfA

A shopper left a cranky note on a pack of hot cross buns inside a Coles store. Credit: Facebook/brie_mcd.

And the fans of the pastry were not having it, releasing their fury online just hours after the photo of the grouchy note was posted.

One person wrote: “Imagine being angry about some bread with a cross on it,” one person wrote.

“I’ll have hers if she would prefer to wait until Easter,” another said.

A third quipped: “Who knew that would be upset at something that vaguely represents their religion being on display for more days of the year?”

While most were shaking their head at the unnecessary aggressive tone of the note, others were dismayed with the fact that someone would go out of their way to write a distasteful note and to stick it on a singular pack of hot cross buns in Coles.

“Imagine being this put out by a bakery item,” one wrote.

Others said that they have been indulging in these delectable treats since they first hit the stores on Boxing Day, proudly announcing that they would enjoy the treat regardless of what other people say.

“I got them literally on Boxing Day. Who cares?” one wrote.

Another chimed in: “I’m going to hell, I’ve already eaten a packet."

Meanwhile, others said that they would eat the treats all year-round if possible.

One person wrote: “I welcome warm addition rolls all year round."

“I’m going to complain that they’re not sold 365 days of the year,” another said.

Are you a fan of hot cross buns? What are your thoughts on the note?

Sponsored
Describing a hot cross bun as a pastry? It's a bread product - go look up the difference! If you're going to write about food, at least know what it is. Get over it - happens EVERY YEAR.

It can't be denied that in Australia, hot cross buns are synonymous with Easter.

Despite it being only January, the popular bakery buy is already widely available thanks to supermarkets racing to release their unique range of hot cross buns — Woolworths' Caramilk hot cross buns and Coles' Vegemite hot cross buns.

While most of us are delighted that our favourite Easter treat is back on the shelves, one person seems to be playing the role of the “Easter Grinch” as they left an “Easter egg” on a pack of hot cross buns inside a Coles store in Perth.

The cranky note, found by an unsuspecting shopper, read: “The last time I checked, the celebration of the birth and death of Jesus were not separated by less than a month.”

e_1VjCivwUP2AwYsRP32lbX8dcJPG3dKkp1qVFqJ4oeyovkm_uvIAuB92Zd4leVvKINIOdi-9fTY8-rJzQeRLghexCuisV1h1sBfVqxa-eA2szqIukJ4_KY1HUYFmLIQGE7cpfA

A shopper left a cranky note on a pack of hot cross buns inside a Coles store. Credit: Facebook/brie_mcd.

And the fans of the pastry were not having it, releasing their fury online just hours after the photo of the grouchy note was posted.

One person wrote: “Imagine being angry about some bread with a cross on it,” one person wrote.

A third quipped: “Who knew that would be upset at something that vaguely represents their religion being on display for more days of the year?”

While most were shaking their head at the unnecessary aggressive tone of the note, others were dismayed with the fact that someone would go out of their way to write a distasteful note and to stick it on a singular pack of hot cross buns in Coles.

Others said that they have been indulging in these delectable treats since they first hit the stores on Boxing Day, proudly announcing that they would enjoy the treat regardless of what other people say.

Meanwhile, others said that they would eat the treats all year-round if possible.

“I’m going to complain that they’re not sold 365 days of the year,” another said.

A free market will decide what products people want. That's the whole idea.
If market offerings are decided by angry notes from angry folks then we don't have a free market.

Describing a hot cross bun as a pastry? It's a bread product - go look up the difference! If you're going to write about food, at least know what it is. Get over it - happens EVERY YEAR.
As a professional pastry chef I made both bread and pastry products. The technical difference between the two is the higher fat content in pastry. How would you describe a croissant? How about Roti and wraps? And don't forget doughnuts - jam filled, iced and cinnamon, pastry, bread or cake?

I love the taste of Hot Cross Buns. If you want to get picky, the "cross" is not in the shape of the biblical one. It is an addition or multiplication sign.

If market offerings are decided by angry notes from angry folks then we don't have a free market.

I hope she sanitised her hands before writing and sticking the note on the buns. I love these buns and would definitely eat them all year. Some people need to take a chill pill.

I was sooo happy when i saw these in my Woolies on Boxing Day, very first thing that went into my trolley that day. Must be the traditional ones though! As it is a late Easter this year, i look forward to having these for breakfast for four whole months.

Reactions: Strawb and Ricci

I'd rather eat Fruit Mince Pies any day, so why can't we have them available for a longer period!
I once worked doing food demos and found their flavoured buns overly sweet and generally not cooked properly, still soggy/doughy
in the middle and had to stand there and tell customers how good they were and to buy them.

Actually, hot cross buns have nothing whatever to do with the birth death of Jesus but have their origin in a pagan festival, celebrating the rebirth of the world at the end of winter. Buns were baked to honour the Saxon goddess Eostre – the origin of the name Easter. They baked a cross on the buns to represent the four quarters of the moon, the four seasons and the wheel of life. Christmas was originally a pagan celebration also, celebrated around December 25. The Catholic Church usurped this festival along with Easter, but at least had the good sense to change its name.

I love hot cross buns and would love to have them all year round as just yummy spicy fruit buns.
Not a fan of all the unusual flavour options so have to be careful I choose traditional.
Some people need to lighten up.

I get upset with Hot Cross Buns being available just after Christmas not because of religious reasons. I don't like it because it seems to make the year go too fast. As soon as Easter is over, Mother's Day advertisements are in the air. We don't seem to have set holiday/special occasions anymore. I love to eat Hot Cross Buns but I don't usually buy them until about a month out of Easter. My preference but I never get that upset that I leave nasty notes.

Reactions: Ricci

I like them, but will not buy on principal. Just remove the cross (which is tasteless flour and water) If it was any other religion the masses would be up in arms. We use to have either sweet or fruit buns or even sticky buns. People are not idiots and know what they like but don't take advantage of a religious symbol just to make money. After all Jesus drove out the money changers from the Temple.

Oh-oh ................... an angry folk!
I don't know about you .. but ... my wife and I have often found a product that we really liked and bought regularly. Then for some unknown reason, it disappears, never to be seen again.

If market offerings are decided by angry notes from angry folks then we don't have a free markek
I don't know about you .. but ... my wife and I have often found a product that we really liked and bought regularly. Then for some unknown reason, it disappears, never to be seen again.
Could'nt agree more, find a nice tasty product, then bang product is no longer to be found! would really like to know who make the decision if a product stays or goes.