SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
RFG

RFG

Jul 11, 2022
CRACKERS AND BONFIRES

Every year we looked forward to cracker night..always in June and we would build the biggest bonfire in the street and just about everyone in the neighbourhood attended. Next day we would go on a hunt for crackers in the park that may not have gone off.

nos.jpeg
Facebook/Australia Remember When

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember it clearly.

Tom thumbs

Throw downs

Catherine wheels tied to the clothes lines

Bangers and double bangers

And my favourite sky rockets 🚀 💙

And to think as a child we just purched from our local fruit shop or milk bar.

I also remember you couldn't sleep as the loud noise would continue until 3am and the smoke in the air was pretty bad , I also remember getting up in the morning and cleaning up the backyard .

As a teenager it was then bonfires in our local park

Reactions: Ezzy and McClement
We loved cracker night and yes we use to save out pocket money to buy and Dad and Mum also bought them too they were great time and great childhood memories life was much simpler then

Reactions: Ezzy
CRACKERS AND BONFIRES

Every year we looked forward to cracker night..always in June and we would build the biggest bonfire in the street and just about everyone in the neighbourhood attended. Next day we would go on a hunt for crackers in the park that may not have gone off.

View attachment 28616
LOVED GUY FOX NIGHT, MY DAD DID TO, HE WAS REALLY IN TO IT

CRACKERS AND BONFIRES

View attachment 28616

Cracker Night was a yearly event, we planned on it happening way before the 24th of May. We did everything we could to save our money, and bit money from
Beer Bottles to the Glass Collection Place, we scavenged any bit of rubbish that would burn and made a pile ready to go. We had a ball and did as someone said in hunting for crackers that didn't go off the next day. It was also my Brother's Birthday so we would have a party after that with his mates. It was so much fun,we were very sad when it was banned. There was a small number of children that suffered burns, and that was the reason that it was banned. Just another thing stripped away from kids being kids. Of course we were sorry that some kids got hurt, but stronger rules may have made an impact if they had been used. Especially Parents being there to supervise. None of our kids suffered burns from the Crackers.

Yes, cracker night was very enjoyable, not so for my sister! We lived in the NSW bush and loved th bonfire nights either at our house or the neighbours and the small village comnunity. Tom thumbs and catherine wheels were my faves too! Sadly a tragic night in thr nearby town where my sister boarded at the girls hostel. A few naughty boys threw crackers at the hostel and it went up in flames! Thankfully staff and all the girls survived that night! However, the smell of smoke on her clothing was not pleasant and nor was the site of what remained of the hostel. Good and bad memories there I'm afraid!

Tom Thumb strings of crackers... Mount Vesuvius flares...Golden Rain hand held flares.. BIG penny bombs...Roman Candles...loved them all.

Cracker Night was a yearly event, we planned on it happening way before the 24th of May. We did everything we could to save our money, and bit money from
Beer Bottles to the Glass Collection Place, we scavenged any bit of rubbish that would burn and made a pile ready to go. We had a ball and did as someone said in hunting for crackers that didn't go off the next day. It was also my Brother's Birthday so we would have a party after that with his mates. It was so much fun,we were very sad when it was banned. There was a small number of children that suffered burns, and that was the reason that it was banned. Just another thing stripped away from kids being kids. Of course we were sorry that some kids got hurt, but stronger rules may have made an impact if they had been used. Especially Parents being there to supervise. None of our kids suffered burns from the Crackers.
I agree, it was really fun, and parents really got into it too. If we had it again I think with the population more and of course with social media abundant with our kids, can you imagine what they would do to get that exclusive picture or video?!!!!!

I remember it clearly.

Tom thumbs

Throw downs

Catherine wheels tied to the clothes lines

Bangers and double bangers

And my favourite sky rockets 🚀 💙

And to think as a child we just purched from our local fruit shop or milk bar.

I also remember you couldn't sleep as the loud noise would continue until 3am and the smoke in the air was pretty bad , I also remember getting up in the morning and cleaning up the backyard .

As a teenager it was then bonfires in our local park
my goodness brings back so many memories. just loved cracker night. There were good times back then yes going to the local shop to buy the crackers and watching them all go off it was so much fun. Life was much simpler cracker night everyone got together and enjoyed the crackers

CRACKERS AND BONFIRES

View attachment 28616
Guy Fawkes was our main cracker night. A huge bon fire in the paddock burning plenty of rubbish. We sometimes had another cracker night in May.

Both the country schools I attended celebrated cracker night. We spent days gathering as much wood, tree branches, anything that would burn and made huge bonfires. Then we made a guy fawkes figure, similar to a scarecrow, and attached him to the top of the bonfire. All the neighbourhood attended, we had party food to eat, it was a big get together. The bonfire was lit after dark, the crackers were let off, it was like magic to us kids watching all the different types. After the crackers we would toast marshmallows in the bonfire, before packing up and going home after the bonfire had burnt right down. It was quite a late night for us kids by the time we got home. We usually held it on a Friday night, then on Saturday a lot of families helped with the cleanup and us kids searched for any crackers that hadn’t gone off and let them off again. No one ever suffered more than minor burns except one kid who thought he was very tough and held a double bunker in his hand and set it off. He had a burnt swollen hand for a few weeks but recovered fully. Now one of the local primary schools in the town I live in has a fireworks night once a year, sponsored by the local RSC club. Food, activities, stalls all abound for a charge. At the end of the night a big fireworks display is supervised by the local fire brigade. It is hugely popular and raises a lot of money for the school. Anyone is welcome to attend. When my grandchildren lived here we always took them to it and they loved it.

Yes, November 5th, Guy Fawkes Night. All the crackers already mentioned plus Sparklers. I remember one year buying a 6d bomb, placing a tin in the ground & packing sand against it, filling the can with sand & the cracker in the middle, lit it & stood back. The blast was so powerful the can split on several sides. The last year before they were banned we had a huge bonfire in the corner of our backyard with dad's permission. Everything those days was £, shillings & d. None of my family or friends received injuries but l remember hearing or reading of many. Often wondered where the unburnt parts of the skyrockets came down. Never on me thank goodness. Always lotsa fun.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Wonderful memories good old cracker night. We used to build a large bonfire in a nearby large park and following a nasty incident one year when some hoon set off the bonfire a few days early , we had to post guards each night up to cracker night..Other crackers I remember are , flower pots, roman candles, jumping jacks.Lots of fun. How things have changed in this "enlightened" world.Cheers