Couples share drawn-out battle with travel agency: 'We want that money back'

Travelling is one of life’s greatest pleasures.

A well-deserved holiday requires thorough planning, whether DIY or a travel agency.

However, the dream of a long-awaited holiday can turn into a financial nightmare.

Two Australian couples discovered this the hard way after their experience with an agency left their dream holiday up in the air.

Kerrie and Troy Colmer from Sydney, along with Paul and Michelle Cox from the Gold Coast, had booked their 20-day tour of Vietnam and Cambodia through Webjet, organised by the Melbourne-based Asia Vacation Group.

The trip, initially costing $2,799 per person, was scheduled for October 2020, and it is alleged the couples had already shelled out a $1,000 per person deposit.

Eager for a touch of luxury, they upgraded their flights to business class for an additional $2,826 each, plus booking fees, bringing their total prepaid expenses to over $15,000.

However, the global pandemic brought their plans to a screeching halt, and what followed was a tumultuous period of rescheduling and uncertainty.

compressed-pexels-andrea-piacquadio-3756158.jpeg
Expensive travel fees can deter people from exploring the world. Image Credit: Andrea Piacquadio/Pexels

Their patience was tested as they struggled to contact Asia Vacation Group, resorting to public posts on the company's Facebook page to garner a response.

Through this exchange, the group was able to arrange for a trip rebooking to October 2021. Unfortunately, a series of lockdowns at the time meant their trip was once again cancelled.

With pandemic regulations easing, their trip was again rescheduled for October 2023.

However, when they thought their troubles were behind them, a new shock awaited.

With just a month left before what was supposed to be their holiday, the group alleges no invoices were sent to cover the amount they owed, which was $1,799 per person, despite numerous requests.

‘[They] just kept going back “This is what you owe” and I’m like “Yes I know that but can you please send us an invoice, we need to pay it.” This just kept going on and on,’ Ms Colmer said.

Then, midway through September 2023, the agency informed the couple about the remaining balance of their tour.

An ‘inflation fee’ charged per person increased by $400, and the cost of their business class upgrade had also skyrocketed to $6,350 each.

They were left with an additional $21,292 to pay, a sum they had not anticipated and could not afford.

‘We were so looking forward to this holiday because we had booked it three years prior and we were just devastated,’ Ms Colmer shared.

‘There would have been no way that we could get another $8,000 to pay for something we’d already paid for.’

Mr Cox chimed in, stating that the sudden price increase made them not push through.

‘We haven’t had a holiday for four years, which we’ve really wanted and with the amount we’ve paid, we were really looking forward to it,’ he said.

‘We want that money back so we can book another holiday.’

In response, Asia Vacation Group CEO David Dao stated after news broke of the couples’ issue that he approved refunds for the couples and is looking out for their customers affected by the pandemic-related halt.

‘In some special cases, we are still very careful to solve each case due to the price difference before and after COVID.’

As of writing, the couples' are still awaiting their refund from Asia Vacation Group.

While Webjet has expressed a desire to see Asia Vacation Group refund the customers, the outcome remains uncertain.

Adam Glezer of Consumer Champion reportedly stepped in to advocate for the couples, emphasising the need for better regulation in the travel industry.
‘It’s horrifying that people are still trying to get back their hard-earned money from travel providers that have just been holding onto their cash,’ Mr Glezer said.

‘The travel agent industry is in desperate need of regulation… Travel agents are getting away with ripping people off and are not facing any consequences.’

The lack of accountability and transparency can leave consumers out of pocket and without recourse.

Here are some tips for those of us planning getaways:
  1. Choose reputable travel companies with clear and fair policies.
  2. Keep detailed records of all transactions and correspondence.
  3. Be aware of the risks associated with pre-paying for travel, especially during uncertain times.
  4. Consider travel insurance that covers cancellations and unexpected changes.
  5. Stay informed about your rights as a consumer and seek assistance if needed.
Key Takeaways

• Two Australian couples are struggling to recover more than A$15,000 from a Melbourne-based travel company after a surprise A$21,000 bill was issued just a month before their planned trip.
  • The couples had initially scheduled a 20-day tour through Asia Vacation Group in December 2019, which was postponed due to COVID-19 disruptions.
  • After several unsuccessful attempts to settle the outstanding balance for their trip, including dealing with shifting prices and requests for additional payments, the couples were left unable to afford the sudden price increase.
  • Consumer Champion advocate Adam Glezer has highlighted the need for greater regulation in the travel agent industry, as issues with obtaining Covid-related refunds continue to affect Australian travellers.
Have you encountered similar issues while planning your holidays? Help a fellow traveller out, and share your stories and insights in the comments below.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: Liag and BJM
Sponsored
Beware using online companies. I booked a Greek Island trip through TripaDeal which was cancelled due to Covid. They offered me a credit which I didn't want. They refused to refund on the basis they were only a "facilitator/organiser" of the trip and had already paid out for the flights hotels etc and that if they couldn't get a refund then neither could I. This was all despite never having received documentation relating to the trip.
My travel insurance refused to pay out as I'd been offered a credit.
I wouldn't give up. I'd paid using Amex and claimed my refund from them on the grounds of non-receipt of what I'd paid for. They tefunded me but then it was reversed because TripaDeal challenged the refund. There followed 6 months of battling but I got my refund in the end.
So beware of booking with just a "Facilitator" of holidays. They have no assets or anything you can claim against. They can be just a couple of guys who have set up shop to organise trips. Read the small print and look at the structure of the companies before handing over ypur hard-earned cash.

Of course, TripaDeal is in bed with Qantas now so maybe more complex. Don't trust either of them. Will never fly Qantas or use TripaDeal again. They're okay when things are going well but not if you, or they, cancel.

We had a similar situation when Covid started as we were due to do a cruise in a couple of days. Of course as we had to fly to Sydney we first needed to cancel our flight plus the retutn flight with Qantas. Qantas would only refund the return flight but gave us vouchers for the ingoing flight to be used within 12 months. Of course travel was suspended anywhere even from state to state and they could not be used. It took three years for Qantas to allow this money to be refunded. With the cruise costs they were refunded after about three months plus I also contacted the travel insurance company and they also refuunded the total insurance that we had paid them which was quite a pleasant surprise to us.

Reactions: maherdj
Beware using online companies. I booked a Greek Island trip through TripaDeal which was cancelled due to Covid. They offered me a credit which I didn't want. They refused to refund on the basis they were only a "facilitator/organiser" of the trip and had already paid out for the flights hotels etc and that if they couldn't get a refund then neither could I. This was all despite never having received documentation relating to the trip.
My travel insurance refused to pay out as I'd been offered a credit.
I wouldn't give up. I'd paid using Amex and claimed my refund from them on the grounds of non-receipt of what I'd paid for. They tefunded me but then it was reversed because TripaDeal challenged the refund. There followed 6 months of battling but I got my refund in the end.
So beware of booking with just a "Facilitator" of holidays. They have no assets or anything you can claim against. They can be just a couple of guys who have set up shop to organise trips. Read the small print and look at the structure of the companies before handing over ypur hard-earned cash.

Of course, TripaDeal is in bed with Qantas now so maybe more complex. Don't trust either of them. Will never fly Qantas or use TripaDeal again. They're okay when things are going well but not if you, or they, cancel.
I always use Amex for travel, insurance and everyday use. They have helped me out a lot of times with purchases and refunds. They investigate and resolve all problems and usually in their Clients favour.

I always use Amex for travel, insurance and everyday use. They have helped me out a lot of times with purchases and refunds. They investigate and resolve all problems and usually in their Clients favour.
I had their insurance too. Chubb. That's who wouldn't pay up.