Council uses this Wiggles song to drive away the homeless: ‘We are deeply disappointed’

For decades, The Wiggles have brought joy to children worldwide with their catchy tunes and colourful characters. One of their most well-known songs, 'Hot Potato,' gets kids dancing and singing along.

But a council in Western Australia had been using this iconic bop to keep homeless people away from a certain spot in the city.

A popular site for music festivals in Western Australia is being used by homeless people, but, in an alleged bid to drive them away, the Bunbury Municipal Council had played 'Hot Potato' by The Wiggles on an endless loop through loudspeakers.

A spokesperson for The Wiggles said that the group was ‘deeply disappointed’ when this news was brought to their attention.

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 7.53.44 AM.png
The Bunbury Municipal Council played The Wiggles’s ‘Hot Potato’ to drive away homeless people. Credit: The Wiggles

'Wiggles music is created to bring joy and happiness to children and families around the world,' the spokesperson said.

'We are deeply disappointed today to hear that it is being used in any other way,’ they added.

However, the council denied that they turned the volume up to full capacity at the Graham Bricknell Memorial Music Shell—a public stage near the centre of Bunbury.

The music shell had been used by homeless people as a shelter for over a decade.

Bunbury Mayor Jaysen Miguel said the area had attracted anti-social behaviour. He also said that playing music was a passive way to discourage people from gathering in an area and admitted that the council had been using this strategy for the past six months.

‘Graham Bricknell Memorial Music Shell is a community space where people should feel safe to visit and meet up,’ Mayor Miguel said.

He claimed that someone removed the padlock at the storage area of the shell and turned the volume to full capacity.

‘The city has since rectified this and put the music back to an acceptable level,’ he declared.

Listen to ‘Hot Potato’ by The Wiggles in the video below:

Australia’s homelessness issue continues, and one can only hope that homeless people can be given the support they need. In a previous article, a powerful message was posted on social media that sparked the attention of people to the predicament faced by the increasing homeless population. Read more about the story here.

Key Takeaways
  • The Wiggles have criticised a council in Western Australia for playing their 'Hot Potato' song to deter homeless people.
  • The site of a recent music festival, which is now used by the homeless, was playing the song through loudspeakers at full capacity.
  • A Wiggles spokesperson expressed deep disappointment that their music, intended to bring joy and happiness, was being used this way.
  • Bunbury Mayor Jaysen Miguel defended the playing of music as a passive way to discourage anti-social behaviour.

What do you think of this story? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I've heard of music being used before as a deterrent and that it actually works .
Maybe if the council wants the homeless people out of the city then maybe help them into accommodation or move them on to a park and supply tents ect .

Can you imagine hearing Hot potato on replay , it would drive you crazy 🤪

Wig
For decades, The Wiggles have brought joy to children worldwide with their catchy tunes and colourful characters. One of their most well-known songs, 'Hot Potato,' gets kids dancing and singing along.

But a council in Western Australia had been using this iconic bop to keep homeless people away from a certain spot in the city.

A popular site for music festivals in Western Australia is being used by homeless people, but, in an alleged bid to drive them away, the Bunbury Municipal Council had played 'Hot Potato' by The Wiggles on an endless loop through loudspeakers.

A spokesperson for The Wiggles said that the group was ‘deeply disappointed’ when this news was brought to their attention.

View attachment 33775
The Bunbury Municipal Council played The Wiggles’s ‘Hot Potato’ to drive away homeless people. Credit: The Wiggles

'Wiggles music is created to bring joy and happiness to children and families around the world,' the spokesperson said.

'We are deeply disappointed today to hear that it is being used in any other way,’ they added.

However, the council denied that they turned the volume up to full capacity at the Graham Bricknell Memorial Music Shell—a public stage near the centre of Bunbury.

The music shell had been used by homeless people as a shelter for over a decade.

Bunbury Mayor Jaysen Miguel said the area had attracted anti-social behaviour. He also said that playing music was a passive way to discourage people from gathering in an area and admitted that the council had been using this strategy for the past six months.

‘Graham Bricknell Memorial Music Shell is a community space where people should feel safe to visit and meet up,’ Mayor Miguel said.

He claimed that someone removed the padlock at the storage area of the shell and turned the volume to full capacity.

‘The city has since rectified this and put the music back to an acceptable level,’ he declared.

Australia’s homelessness issue continues, and one can only hope that homeless people can be given the support they need. In a previous article, a powerful message was posted on social media that sparked the attention of people to the predicament faced by the increasing homeless population. Read more about the story here.

Key Takeaways

• The Wiggles have criticised a council in Western Australia for playing their 'Hot Potato' song to deter homeless people.
  • The site of a recent music festival, which is now used by the homeless, was playing the song through loudspeakers at full capacity.
  • A Wiggles spokesperson expressed deep disappointment that their music, intended to bring joy and happiness, was being used this way.
  • Bunbury Mayor Jaysen Miguel defended the playing of music as a passive way to discourage anti-social behaviour.

Wiggles is too stupid and too demeaning for children
Yuk
Typical crap

Wig

Wiggles is too stupid and too demeaning for children
Yuk
Typical crap
Really?? Perhaps nursery rhymes would be more meaningful for children.

“Nursery rhymes have been a part of our childhood for generations, but did you know that many of these innocent-sounding rhymes have dark and twisted origins?

From plagues to execution, these rhymes were not always meant to be sung to children. Let’s take a look at five nursery rhymes with dark origins that may surprise you.

1. “Ring Around the Rosie” – This nursery rhyme originated as a song about the bubonic plague, with the “ring around the rosie” representing the rash that appeared on the skin of those infected and the “ashes, ashes” indicating the funeral pyres that burned the bodies of the dead.
  2. “Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary” – This nursery rhyme is a reference to Mary I of England, who was known as “Bloody Mary” for her persecution of Protestants during her reign.
  3. “Rock-a-bye Baby” – This nursery rhyme originated as a song about a baby dying, with the “cradle” representing a coffin and the “boughs” referring to a tree from which a baby’s cradle-coffin would be hung.
  4. “Humpty Dumpty” – This nursery rhyme is about King Richard III, who was killed in battle and his body left unburied for several days.
  5. “Jack and Jill” – This nursery rhyme is thought to be a reference to King Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, who were both executed during the French Revolution.”

“Nursery rhymes have been a part of our childhood for generations, but did you know that many of these innocent-sounding rhymes have dark and twisted origins?

From plagues to execution, these rhymes were not always meant to be sung to children. Let’s take a look at five nursery rhymes with dark origins that may surprise you.

1. “Ring Around the Rosie” – This nursery rhyme originated as a song about the bubonic plague, with the “ring around the rosie” representing the rash that appeared on the skin of those infected and the “ashes, ashes” indicating the funeral pyres that burned the bodies of the dead.
  2. “Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary” – This nursery rhyme is a reference to Mary I of England, who was known as “Bloody Mary” for her persecution of Protestants during her reign.
  3. “Rock-a-bye Baby” – This nursery rhyme originated as a song about a baby dying, with the “cradle” representing a coffin and the “boughs” referring to a tree from which a baby’s cradle-coffin would be hung.
  4. “Humpty Dumpty” – This nursery rhyme is about King Richard III, who was killed in battle and his body left unburied for several days.
  5. “Jack and Jill” – This nursery rhyme is thought to be a reference to King Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, who were both executed during the French Revolution.”
I like your style!

Well I for one like nursery rhymes, children don’t need to be told the dark origins, they just need to be allowed to enjoy them. I taught and sang nursery rhymes to my children and grandchildren who loved them. I also loved watching wiggles videos and dvds with my youngest grandchild, she loved it. I took my kids to a wiggles concert when they were young and we all loved it. People like to over complicate kids lives instead of letting them enjoy being kids.

View attachment 33775

Key Takeaways

Perhaps the Wiggles can just send an invoice to Council for each time the song was played without their permission. I did notice that the council denied the high volume playing but is still playing it at a lower volume. This kinda reminds me about councils using loud bangs, etc to rid areas of birds and bats. Think someone needs to remind them they are dealing with people not animals.

Well I for one like nursery rhymes, children don’t need to be told the dark origins, they just need to be allowed to enjoy them. I taught and sang nursery rhymes to my children and grandchildren who loved them. I also loved watching wiggles videos and dvds with my youngest grandchild, she loved it. I took my kids to a wiggles concert when they were young and we all loved it. People like to over complicate kids lives instead of letting them enjoy being kids.
I agree with you. I only mentioned the dark side of nursery rhyme origins to the SDC reader who felt the Wiggles were demeaning to children. I would never tell a child of the dark origins of some nursery rhymes that were created long ago. And yes, let children enjoy their childhood; it doesn’t last long!

Being Homeless is the worst situation anyone can be in, they need support they do not have a safe home to go to.
love the wiggles fond memories of gong to their concerts with grandchildren
I'm currently experiencing what is known as "tertiary homelessness", that is, living in a boarding house. Dependent on the others in the house, it can be heaven or absolute hell. Have gotten accustomed to it and it's better than sleeping under a bridge.

As a 64 year old, I've had my fair share of physical violence directed at me, usually by guys a half or a third of my age and bigger. Trouble is they are the ones that are on the wrong end of a hiding. I can thank my upbringing in a very rough suburb of Sydney from 1965 to 1986. My policy is not to throw the first punch but strive to throw the last one. That policy works over 90% of the time.

That is why my location in my profile is "Iceland, Victoria". Dealing with iceheads on an almost daily basis has become a hobby for me.

The homeless situation in Australia really needs to be urgently addressed by our Government....now that the divisive Referendum is over, maybe our PM will start looking at these type of issues a lot closer as this particular issue seems to be growing all over the Country. Lets hope that he also looks at the immigration numbers a bit closer over the next few years also, that might help a bit. We can only live in hope for something positive to be done to assist the Homeless situation.....would never have thought that we would ever have this situation in Our Lucky Country.....but it's here so lets hope the PM stays on home soil for long enough to do something about it.🤔😥

I've heard of music being used before as a deterrent and that it actually works .
Maybe if the council wants the homeless people out of the city then maybe help them into accommodation or move them on to a park and supply tents ect .

Can you imagine hearing Hot potato on replay , it would drive you crazy 🤪
Just like listening to Teddy Bears picnic all day long while working in a Mr Whippy truck many years ago

I don’t see any harm in the Homeless listening to Music in such a Place of Safety. As a Teenager I sometimes slept in 1 of those Shelters for Safety Reasons. Always left it Tidy & Clean.
No they are playing music on replay , so the same song constantly, thinking the homeless won't want to hear it and they will move on