Could your sleep apnoea mask with magnets be dangerous? TGA sounds new warning!

Sleep apnoea is a common condition for many, affecting sleep quality and overall health. Most rely on sleep apnoea masks to manage symptoms and ensure a good night's rest.

However, a recent warning from the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has raised concerns about the safety of certain sleep apnea masks.

The TGA has warned about some AirFit sleep apnea masks manufactured by the medical company ResMed.

The concern lies in the magnets embedded in these masks, which could potentially interfere with certain implanted medical devices.

Screenshot 2023-11-24 073841.png
TGA issued a warning about AirFit sleep apnoea masks made by ResMed. Credit: Resmed

The TGA's warning highlighted the risk of the magnetic field generated by these masks, stating: ‘The risk is that the magnetic field may cause active implantable devices to malfunction or result in movement of other implantable devices which has the potential to lead to serious injury or death.’

The devices that could be affected include pacemakers, coils, stents, and valves—all commonly used by seniors for various health conditions.

There are 12 types of AirFit masks included in the warning:
  1. AirFit N10
  2. AirFit N10 for Her
  3. AirFit N20
  4. AirFit N20 for Her
  5. AirTouch N20
  6. AirTouch N20 for Her
  7. AirFit F20
  8. AirFit F20 for Her
  9. AirTouch F20
  10. AirTouch F20 for Her
  11. AirFit F30
  12. AirFit F30i
To check for the location of the model name and magnets, please visit TGA’s website.

If you are using one of these masks, you should be contacted by your mask provider notifying you of the new warning. However, the TGA urged patients to take proactive measures and check whether they use one of the affected masks.

If you are using one of these masks and have certain implants, or if you sleep next to someone who does, it is strongly advised to contact your doctor or mask provider.

A complete list of the implanted devices they can affect can also be found on the website.

Meanwhile, ResMed is updating its Instructions for Use (IFUs) to incorporate further contraindications and caution against using its products with the previously mentioned medical devices.

It is important to note that replacement masks that are not magnetic will be provided.

Please visit ResMed's website for further information on these sleep apnoea masks.

Understanding Sleep Apnoea and Its Treatment

Sleep apnoea is a serious sleep disorder where breathing repeatedly stops and starts. If you snore loudly and feel tired even after a full night's sleep, you might have sleep apnoea. The most common type is obstructive sleep apnea, which occurs when throat muscles relax.

Treatment for sleep apnoea is necessary to avoid complications such as heart problems and excessive daytime fatigue. The most common treatment is positive airway pressure devices, such as the AirFit masks, which deliver air pressure through a mask while you sleep.

Magnets are used in these masks to ensure a secure and comfortable fit. They are embedded in the mask to allow it to clip onto the headgear easily. While this design improves the user experience, the recent TGA warning highlighted the potential risks for those with certain implanted devices.

While sleep apnoea masks play a crucial role in managing sleep apnoea, it is essential to ensure they are safe for use, especially if you have an implanted device.

Key Takeaways
  • The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has warned over some AirFit sleep apnea masks made by ResMed due to possible interference with implants.
  • The magnets inside these masks could potentially impact the functioning of certain implanted devices such as pacemakers, coils, stents and valves.
  • The TGA warned that the malfunction or movement of these implanted devices due to the magnetic field may lead to serious injury or death.
  • The mask provider will contact patients with affected masks about the new warning, but patients are also encouraged to check whether their mask is one of the 12 types included in the warning.

Have you experienced any issues with your sleep apnoea mask, members? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I was referring to the COVID vaccines and if you cannot correlate the timing of an increase in sudden deaths, heart disease in younger people the issuing of the MRNA vaccines then your are another with their head in the sand.

Reactions: Lotty
Not that problem but I have been ruled incompatible with CPAP machines, mainly because of excessive air leakage (probably anatomical) and an element of feeling suffocated.

I was advised to consider one of these machines. However, I am a restless sleeper and toss and turn frequently and didn't want to be restricted by the piping. I saw a miniature device on ebay that just clipped into the nostrils, no pipes or wires just the device which sat under the nose on the upper lip area and it was rechargeable. I purchased one, but unfortunately the method of attaching into the nostrils was not quite robust enough and on the first turn the device would fall out. Pity as I thought it was a great idea and not so cumbersome as the ones being used ATM. If they could address the design problems and they remained in place, I think it would solve many peoples problems in relation to the CPAP machines.