Cost-effective ways to heat your home, according to CHOICE experts

The winter season is here, and as the outside temperatures begin to fall and the air inside our homes becomes chillier, our first instinct is to reach for the thermostat.

But given the ongoing reports of higher electricity & gas prices and the increasing cost of groceries, it may be sensible to give some thought to the ways in which you can maintain a comfortable temperature in your home while spending less money.

Making a few simple changes and experimenting with a few genius home hacks could help you save a lot of money on your energy bills this winter.

Fortunately for us, the energy experts at Australia's leading consumer advocacy group CHOICE have compiled a list of the cheapest ways to stay warm and comfortable this cool season.

PxJ4re2u4T3mzb4p0XqZdc16SmpgPaK6kaome7RSciAOS0RqB_sooVlbsQpF3D4sAEzow4Tq4mihUUa_lwU8NIsRV4gJ1Pj9IDBYMAXkAl_Vow7GTjQvI9-OWzsQLnapXG3iiHPnJ_WRlml4Sg

CHOICE experts list the cheapest ways to stay warm this winter. Credit: Shutterstock/fizkes.

Air conditioning

The most environmentally friendly and cost-effective choice, as deemed by industry professionals, is air conditioning with a reverse-cycle system.

However, the installation can be quite pricey. Because of the potentially high purchase and installation costs—which can range anywhere from $2,000 to $15,000—this option is best suited for homeowners rather than renters.

If renters are fortunate enough to live in a home with air conditioning, it is a suitable option to use all year.

An energy expert at CHOICE noted that the cost of operating a reverse-cycle air conditioner throughout the entire year is only going to be a little bit higher than the cost of operating an electric heater throughout the entire winter season.

Gas heating

Gas heating is the second-best option for keeping warm this winter due to its low operating costs. However, in order to use gas heating, you must already have gas connected or set up an LPG system for your heater.

"They can't be installed in bedrooms or confined spaces like bathrooms, and some require a flue to vent outside your house," an expert explained, adding, "They're also not cheap to buy: you're looking at anywhere from $500 to $1400."

Electric heating

Renters may find that purchasing a portable electric heater is the most convenient option, though it is also the most expensive.

Although the initial costs are typically quite low, with prices beginning at just $30 at a number of different retailers, the ongoing expense is higher per hour in comparison to gas heating or air conditioning.

"Portable electric heaters are ideal for short-term use in small spaces. They're also a good choice for renters or strata apartment owners who may be unable to install air conditioning," advised the experts.

"Oil column heaters are the least expensive to run of all the different types of electric heaters, but only by a small margin. They take longer to warm up as well."

Here are some more tips from us here at the SDC:

Wear layers of clothing.

Wearing layers of clothing is a great way to stay warm without turning up the heat. Start with a base layer of long underwear followed by a layer of pants and a shirt. Then, add a sweater or sweatshirt, and finally a coat or jacket. You can also add a scarf, hat, and gloves for extra warmth.

Use a blanket.

A blanket can also help you stay warm without turning up the heat. Be sure to use a blanket that is big enough to cover you completely and keep it close by so you can easily grab it when you start to feel cold.

Consider an electric throw rug.

If you’re not familiar with these, imagine an electric blanket for your bed, but one that you ‘wear’ while sitting on the couch. These can be had for under $50 from retailers like Kmart & Target, and use only a fraction of the electricity that a heater would use.

Close off unused rooms.

If you have rooms in your home that you don’t use often, close the doors to those rooms to help keep the heat in the areas you do use. This will help you save money on your heating bill by only heating the rooms you actually use.

Use a programmable thermostat.

If you have a programmable thermostat, you can set it to lower the temperature when you’re not home or when you’re asleep. This will help you save money on your heating bill by only heating your home when you need it to be warm.

Stay safe and warm this winter, folks! Check out the video below for more ideas on how to heat your home and lower your electricity bill:

Credit: MrFixIt DIY.

Sponsored
I love my beanies. We are having very cold weather, for Queensland and I have been wearing my beanies for day and nights on end. I actually made 100 beanies a few years ago and gave them away to charity, I can only hope that are keeping people snug and warm.

Reactions: Ricci
In the UK we had underfloor heating and it was the best, once the fabric of the house was warm. Mind you, we also had wall and roof insulation and double glazing at all the windows! It makes sense really as heat rises it seems to be a no-brainer to start at the lowest point. I loved being able to walk around barefoot even in the depths of winter.:)
I agree, I usually visit in winter because of that same comfort. You can go out in the cold, roll around in the snow and be assured of a cosy welcome later on.

An Oodie is a really large, oversized hooded jumper that goes down to approximately your knees. They are said to be really warm and snuggly.:)
It doesn't sound very comfortable to move around in. I don't sit still for any length of time, apart from around 9pm till 11 ish for bed. Don't think it's for me.

Absolutely hate winter with a passion, am totally allergic to the cold. Spend 3-4mths freezing & sneezing non stop and live on hayfever tablets trying to control the itchy eyes, runny nose and don't even get me started on how many boxes of tissues I go through a wk. Can't afford any kind of heating so my days are spent wearing thermal underwear, thermal socks & long socks, ugg boots, trackie pants, skivvies, long shirt and woolen lined jackets along with a beanie, gloves and a face mask (it keeps my nose warm) and I still feel the cold. The most annoying part is that the pointer finger on my right hand turns ice cold and Dr's can't explain why. Makes doing anything around my home or yard extremely hard when I have to wear gloves all the time. Used to use a kerosene heater yrs ago but couldn't handle the smell it left in the house so gave that away.

• Sad
In the UK we had underfloor heating and it was the best, once the fabric of the house was warm. Mind you, we also had wall and roof insulation and double glazing at all the windows! It makes sense really as heat rises it seems to be a no-brainer to start at the lowest point. I loved being able to walk around barefoot even in the depths of winter.:)
Yes we plan to get really good insulation and double glazing. It may be expensive but will save a lot of money in the long run.

I find radiant heat from a small electric bar heater warms a room within a couple of hours, and can then be turned off, leaving overnight residual warmth.
Warm air from an aircon or fan heater creates little residual heat.
The cold arrived.Hunted through my cupboards and found a jumper I bought at an op shop in 1994. Was so excited. Still fits. Bought an electric heater when we moved into our new house in 2004 as there was a cold snap. Used it 3 times. If we clean the dust off it , it probably won’t work. I really don’t like the heat.

Absolutely hate winter with a passion, am totally allergic to the cold. Spend 3-4mths freezing & sneezing non stop and live on hayfever tablets trying to control the itchy eyes, runny nose and don't even get me started on how many boxes of tissues I go through a wk. Can't afford any kind of heating so my days are spent wearing thermal underwear, thermal socks & long socks, ugg boots, trackie pants, skivvies, long shirt and woolen lined jackets along with a beanie, gloves and a face mask (it keeps my nose warm) and I still feel the cold. The most annoying part is that the pointer finger on my right hand turns ice cold and Dr's can't explain why. Makes doing anything around my home or yard extremely hard when I have to wear gloves all the time. Used to use a kerosene heater yrs ago but couldn't handle the smell it left in the house so gave that away.
😥

• Sad
I live on the Gold Coast, and yes it gets bloody cold yesterday morning 3 degrees. I find if you use the sun if possible. 1 keep blinds down from 4pm and try and cook winter foods means using oven😃.
2 A good Donna on bed
3 Morning open blinds where 🌞
4 Then close blinds when sun moves.
Open blinds sunny side, have found it warms unit for most of day.
5 Hang Towels in Sun nothing like a Warm dry towel your warm bathroom is warm no damp towels. It is abig save. 😘🇦🇺👍

I use slippers for my feet,rugs and blankets on and around me and the best bit of all,my puppy dog on my lap...best hot bottle ever!

I have a “ passage “ between the living area and the bedrooms and have a set of curtains back to back at the living area it’s amazing how much heat and cool it keeps in .May sound weird but it works for me

I use an electric throw rug that covers me from neck to toe and I am alone all I need to do is keep me warm I usually only need to heat myself up for an hour and that covers for the evening I am told they are very cheap to run but for bed I have and electric hot pod that stay hot all through the night. Oh and I wear fleecey lined non slip socks to keep my feet warm.

love kerosene, no heater for it anymore

I sit back in my recliner with my Oodie on and a rug over my legs, if it's real cold inside the house i put the ducted gas heater on for a few hours to take the chill out.
Give the Oodie inventor a Nobel peace prize, greatest things since sliced bread, Oodie and heated blanket get me through winter, got ducted heating also but very rarely use it.