Coronation Street actress Cheryl Murray passes away at 71

The entertainment world has recently been touched by sadness as news emerged of the passing of Cheryl Murray, a cherished actress best known for her vibrant role in the '70s.

Murray, who was 71 at the time of her death, had retired from acting decades ago, leaving behind a legacy that continued to resonate with fans of the classic British drama Coronation Street.

Cheryl Murray, born in Liverpool, United Kingdom, graced television screens as the memorable Suzie Birchall, a character who became a household name for her portrayal of Gail's best friend and Elsie Tanner's lodger.

Her performance on Coronation Street during the '70s and '80s left an indelible mark on the show's history.

461985873_1321300508841550_7746966211166500934_n.jpg
Coronation Street icon Cheryl Murray has passed away. Credit: Coronation Street Fan Hub / Facebook

ITV expressed their condolences in an official statement: 'We are saddened to hear of the recent passing of Cheryl Murray. Our thoughts are with her family and friends.'

‘Her vibrant portrayal of Gail's best friend and Elsie Tanner's lodger Suzie Birchall lived on in the memories of Coronation Street fans long after Suzie left the cobbles for the bright lights of London.’

The news of her death came as a shock to many, as it was only revealed months after she had passed away in September of the previous year.

Fans of the iconic show took to social media to share their grief and pay tribute to the actress. One fan reminisced, 'A fabulous character and a superb actor.’

Another lamented, 'Sorry to hear that Cheryl Murray has passed away, and such a pity we only find out over a year later. I've not been a big fan of Corrie for a long time, but when I was she was one of the main reasons. RIP.’

Cheryl Murray's life off-screen was marked by her resilience in the face of multiple sclerosis (MS), a condition she was reportedly diagnosed within the 1990s.

Despite the challenges, she maintained a positive outlook, once stating, 'MS has never really stopped me doing anything. I get attacks about once a year when I have to go to bed for a few days, but I have brilliant doctors who sort me out.’

You can watch one of Murray’s scenes in Coronation Street below:

Credit: TheEastEndBoy / YouTube

Key Takeaways
  • English actress Cheryl Murray, known for her role on Coronation Street, has passed away aged 71.
  • The news of her passing was revealed belatedly, and ITV has expressed their condolences.
  • Fans have fondly remembered her portrayal of Suzie Birchall in the iconic British drama.
  • Cheryl Murray reportedly retired from acting in the 1990s due to an MS diagnosis and spoke positively about managing her condition.
Rest in peace, Cheryl Murray. Your legacy as an actress and a person of great resilience will continue to live on in the memories of your fans and loved ones.

Sponsored