Cooking teacher reveals “TRIED AND TESTED” HACK to make stale bread fresh again — “Just like you bought it from the bakery!”

Do you have open bags of bread sitting on your kitchen counter? Do you hear that countdown clock ticking, as the short lifespan of your fresh bread dwindles?

If you answered yes to both of the questions above, then we have some fantastic news for you!

The head tutor at the Good Housekeeping Institute Cookery School in London revealed his "tried and tested" secret to freshening up stale bread in just 5 minutes.

Honestly, we're just as excited as you about this hack after learning that dozens of Aussie mums backed its effectiveness!

Are you ready to find out how?

_C1F60_mrQGzaz4ksKuWQDTex64EEkZxax85CehsEhedJA_aCV16AKR2SSEXOv3lXVZ0uEcyXrbrMNKdNN48HLnp8te2BAqbHoDWh5938dsDdoEFmsDm0q1qdjGwZckuesfIejk

A cooking teacher revealed his secret to freshening up a loaf of stale bread. Credit: Getty Images.

Cooking teacher Cher Loh claimed that soaking an unsliced loaf of bread in water and popping it in the oven at 180 degrees for about five minutes allows the stale bread to regain its freshness.

It's that simple!

Mr Loh added that aside from the obvious benefits of making the loaves fresh again, the method prolongs the shelf life of the bread provided that it hasn't been sliced beforehand.

An Aussie mum, Judy, took to Facebook to share that she tried the hack for herself, claiming that she brought a couple of bread rolls "back to life" after running them under a tap and baking them at 200 degrees for a few minutes.

Judy wrote: "I've been conscious of reducing my waste and the job of using up stale bread rolls has always been a problem."

"There's only so many breadcrumbs I can keep in the freezer and my kids aren't a fan of defrosted rolls. My mum told me a trick her mum used to do back in the day, and it really works."

The mum emphasised that she made sure that every inch of the bread rolls was visibly damp before placing them inside the oven.

"Honestly, it's like you just bought it from the bakery – so fresh, so yum," she said.

Other mums wrote about their excitement for the hack, with many saying that they will try the hack for themselves.

One woman wrote: “This is such a good idea. I threw out some bread recently as it went stale, but I won't be doing that again."

"I'm totally trying this!" another quipped.

eREWVSOZboIPm3hK8NLLkCLcoUOs_sKA3k__Ya-2sf5MQeFb1WbSbBGVO7fuxRZzzgsZHdMK7HggVAtwlJl7L8fK_LEllr0ghm5ZwdIUiVgcTkrJPc2zCewxywioghrCoSksURk

The Good Housekeeping Institute experts have previously given advice on how to prolong the shelf life of bread. Credit: The Good Housekeeping Institute.

Experts from the Good Housekeeping Institute have previously shared hacks on how to keep bread fresh for a longer period of time.

Below are some of the tips they shared:

• Bakery loaves - consumers are advised to keep the loaves inside the brown paper bag. The paper will absorb any excess moisture, preventing the hard crust of the bread to have a rubbery texture.
  • Shop-bought loaves - keep shop-bought loaves in a plastic bag at room temperature. Never place the loaves inside the fridge as cold temperatures cause the bread to become stale faster.

Do you know any other tips for prolonging the life of bread? Share them with us in the comments below so other members of the SDC can use them too!

Reactions: Dwal
Sponsored
Cooking teacher reveals “TRIED AND TESTED” HACK to make stale bread fresh again — “Just like you bought it from the bakery!”

Do you have open bags of bread sitting on your kitchen counter? Do you hear that countdown clock ticking, as the short lifespan of your fresh bread dwindles?

If you answered yes to both of the questions above, then we have some fantastic news for you!

The head tutor at the Good Housekeeping Institute Cookery School in London revealed his "tried and tested" secret to freshening up stale bread in just 5 minutes.

Honestly, we're just as excited as you about this hack after learning that dozens of Aussie mums backed its effectiveness!

Are you ready to find out how?

_C1F60_mrQGzaz4ksKuWQDTex64EEkZxax85CehsEhedJA_aCV16AKR2SSEXOv3lXVZ0uEcyXrbrMNKdNN48HLnp8te2BAqbHoDWh5938dsDdoEFmsDm0q1qdjGwZckuesfIejk

A cooking teacher revealed his secret to freshening up a loaf of stale bread. Credit: Getty Images.

Cooking teacher Cher Loh claimed that soaking an unsliced loaf of bread in water and popping it in the oven at 180 degrees for about five minutes allows the stale bread to regain its freshness.

It's that simple!

Mr Loh added that aside from the obvious benefits of making the loaves fresh again, the method prolongs the shelf life of the bread provided that it hasn't been sliced beforehand.

An Aussie mum, Judy, took to Facebook to share that she tried the hack for herself, claiming that she brought a couple of bread rolls "back to life" after running them under a tap and baking them at 200 degrees for a few minutes.

Judy wrote: "I've been conscious of reducing my waste and the job of using up stale bread rolls has always been a problem."

"There's only so many breadcrumbs I can keep in the freezer and my kids aren't a fan of defrosted rolls. My mum told me a trick her mum used to do back in the day, and it really works."

The mum emphasised that she made sure that every inch of the bread rolls was visibly damp before placing them inside the oven.

"Honestly, it's like you just bought it from the bakery – so fresh, so yum," she said.

Other mums wrote about their excitement for the hack, with many saying that they will try the hack for themselves.

One woman wrote: “This is such a good idea. I threw out some bread recently as it went stale, but I won't be doing that again."

"I'm totally trying this!" another quipped.

eREWVSOZboIPm3hK8NLLkCLcoUOs_sKA3k__Ya-2sf5MQeFb1WbSbBGVO7fuxRZzzgsZHdMK7HggVAtwlJl7L8fK_LEllr0ghm5ZwdIUiVgcTkrJPc2zCewxywioghrCoSksURk

The Good Housekeeping Institute experts have previously given advice on how to prolong the shelf life of bread. Credit: The Good Housekeeping Institute.

Experts from the Good Housekeeping Institute have previously shared hacks on how to keep bread fresh for a longer period of time.

Below are some of the tips they shared:

• Bakery loaves - consumers are advised to keep the loaves inside the brown paper bag. The paper will absorb any excess moisture, preventing the hard crust of the bread to have a rubbery texture.
  • Shop-bought loaves - keep shop-bought loaves in a plastic bag at room temperature. Never place the loaves inside the fridge as cold temperatures cause the bread to become stale faster.

Do you know any other tips for prolonging the life of bread? Share them with us in the comments below so other members of the SDC can use them too!
For years I’ve been making my bread or bread rolls, buns fresh by putting in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds.I test at 20 & if more is needed another 10 seconds. So very easy.

For years I’ve been making my bread or bread rolls, buns fresh by putting in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds.I test at 20 & if more is needed another 10 seconds. So very easy.
I put the rolls into the microwave and have a small amount of water in a cup in the microwave as well. Give it a whirl for whatever time you think and the steam from the water refreshes the buns...

Refresh 1 slice wrap in plastic wrap and heat on high for6 seconds. Bun or roll (50g)in plastic wrap heat on high 15 seconds

How many people buy unsliced bread nowadays, not too many I guess. But note of caution when rejuvenating bread or rolls this way, it is then fit for immediate use, if not it goes stale again very, very quickly.

Reactions: Ricci
How many people buy unsliced bread nowadays, not too many I guess. But note of caution when rejuvenating bread or rolls this way, it is then fit for immediate use, if not it goes stale again very, very quickly.
I do occasionally buy sliced bread, it's good for sandwiches but I'm always a bit suss about it, I wonder what's in it in that it never goes stale There's nothing like cutting into a warm fresh loaf, the smell is a great part of its yumminess!

I divide my fresh bread soon after I bought in portions (ie for two people in my household), wrap each portion in cling wrap and put in a freezer bag then freeze them. Whenever I need just take a portion out let it thaw in room temperature before move them out of the bag for sandwiches, toasted etc, it's soft and good as fresh bread. People who live in country towns and cannot buy fresh bread every day told me this trick.

Reactions: Yanellio and Ricci
I have a question. When you put the loaf in water, shouldn't it just go soggy and fall to bits?
You put the buns on the turntable and you put the cup with the small amount of water "beside" them on the turntable. You do not put the buns in the water.

I have a question. When you put the loaf in water, shouldn't it just go soggy and fall to bits?
You don't soak it, just wet it down until the outside crust is just wet, This will create a little steam to refresh the bread.