Controversy surrounds shopping centre Christmas gimmick

As Christmas time approaches and joyous decorations spring up all around, festive props are also being added to shopping centres to create a magical environment for all customers.

However, some recent decorations in Westfield Tuggerah on the NSW Central Coast have sparked a heated debate, with some locals shocked at the use of live reindeer in the display.

Outraged shoppers—vegans included—took to social media to protest against the 'cruel' display, claiming that the reindeer were 'miserable' and 'knew what was going on'.

One person claimed: 'Can't people see these poor beauties are miserable?'

While another commenter said they 'just felt sick' about using live reindeers.

Another commenter asks: 'Why do shopping centres need this, using live animals is not cool'.

Screenshot 2023-12-04 124645.png
Live reindeers used in a Westfield shopping centre caused controversy. Image: Facebook

On the other hand, some locals saw the display as a great way to bring holiday cheer to families and backed Westfield's efforts to use real animals as part of their display.

A local responded: 'I think it's great to see the happy faces of the kids and really don't see a problem.'

'No, I don't feel sick about it at all,' another local said. 'I loved seeing the happiness on everyone's faces as they realised they were "real" reindeer.'

'I met the owners of the reindeers a couple of weekends ago at Westfield and was really impressed with their ease and way with these gorgeous animals!' the local added.

'It was very clear that they knew their stuff as they were exceptionally caring and protective towards their animals.'

'My son got to pat the front one,' while adding, 'I do have to say though even though the reindeer were very calm, I would have hated them to stand up run or get cranky.’

While sides for and against Westfields’ move toughed it out in their comments, some commenters were neutral with the display saying, 'It's been a good discussion seeing everyone's different point of views.’

'I have made the decision that I don't like it, but everyone has the right to their opinions,' another said.

Key Takeaways
  • Westfield Tuggerah in NSW has been criticised by some shoppers for featuring live reindeer at a Christmas event.
  • Critics, including radical vegans, argue that the display is inhumane and distressing for the animals.
  • However, numerous other locals defended the shopping centre, saying the animals were well cared for and brought joy to children.

What do you think of this story? Is using live reindeer in a shopping mall Christmas display cruel or just a bit of fun for the kids? Let us know in the comments section below!

Sponsored
As Christmas time approaches and joyous decorations spring up all around, festive props are also being added to shopping centres to create a magical environment for all customers.

However, some recent decorations in Westfield Tuggerah on the NSW Central Coast have sparked a heated debate, with some locals shocked at the use of live reindeer in the display.

Outraged shoppers—vegans included—took to social media to protest against the 'cruel' display, claiming that the reindeer were 'miserable' and 'knew what was going on'.

Another commenter asks: 'Why do shopping centres need this, using live animals is not cool'.

View attachment 36567
Live reindeers used in a Westfield shopping centre caused controversy. Image: Facebook

On the other hand, some locals saw the display as a great way to bring holiday cheer to families and backed Westfield's efforts to use real animals as part of their display.

A local responded: 'I think it's great to see the happy faces of the kids and really don't see a problem.'

'No, I don't feel sick about it at all,' another local said. 'I loved seeing the happiness on everyone's faces as they realised they were "real" reindeer.'

'I met the owners of the reindeers a couple of weekends ago at Westfield and was really impressed with their ease and way with these gorgeous animals!' the local added.

'It was very clear that they knew their stuff as they were exceptionally caring and protective towards their animals.'

'My son got to pat the front one,' while adding, 'I do have to say though even though the reindeer were very calm, I would have hated them to stand up run or get cranky.’

While sides for and against Westfields’ move toughed it out in their comments, some commenters were neutral with the display saying, 'It's been a good discussion seeing everyone's different point of views.’

'I have made the decision that I don't like it, but everyone has the right to their opinions,' another said.

Key Takeaways

• Westfield Tuggerah in NSW has been criticised by some shoppers for featuring live reindeer at a Christmas event.
  • Critics, including radical vegans, argue that the display is inhumane and distressing for the animals.
  • However, numerous other locals defended the shopping centre, saying the animals were well cared for and brought joy to children.

What do you think of this story? Is using live reindeer in a shopping mall Christmas display cruel or just a bit of fun for the kids? Let us know in the comments section below!
Some people just need to get a life.

View attachment 36567

Key Takeaways

I personally would love to see live Reindeer so close up, and then common sense would have to click in. How on earth is it possible to have these beautiful animals in a shopping centre
I would think that protecting those
Beautiful Creatures from the chaos of a Shopping Centre would and should be
out there 100% . What did Animal Protection People have to say ?
What on Earth are we coming too.
Can you understand what those poor
Animals feel with hundreds of people wanting to get close, not to mention the noise, loud music, and how unnerving for
these Creatures every day.
The next question is have they been
Sedated ??????? How traumatic????????
?????

I personally would love to see live Reindeer so close up, and then common sense would have to click in. How on earth is it possible to have these beautiful animals in a shopping centre
Animals feel with hundreds of people wanting to get close, not to mention the noise, loud music, and how unnerving for
?????

View attachment 36567

Key Takeaways

I reckon they are better off there than as venison in a butcher's shop.

?????
Are you always so miserable?

Reactions: Littleboy8

View attachment 36567

Key Takeaways

People should realise that those reindeers are extremely well looked after and loved and the looks on the children’s faces when they saw them would be absolutely priceless. Most children would never get to see a reindeer in Australia other than in a zoo. Some people need to just chill and enjoy animals.

Reactions: Gsr and Babbie
?????
I was wondering the same thing. Being both males and being in the breeding season, one wonders? Have they been neutered? Too many questions....not enough answers.

I should call my younger daughter who lives close by at Berkeley Vale and she if she took the two grandchildren there.

Reactions: DLHM and Gsr

View attachment 36567

Key Takeaways

There is a positive. At least in this heat they will be in the air-con.

Reactions: magpie1 and Gsr
At least it would be cooler than being on display at a show or any other outside display they might be in.

Reactions: magpie1
?????
I agree with you.. this is not ok in this environment. They look absolutely miserable ☹️

Reactions: Knell