Controversial statement on Aussie motorist's car draws attention, sparks 'cashless society' debate

In an era where technology is rapidly advancing, it's not surprising that Australia, like many other countries, is steering towards a cashless society. While this may be a convenience to many, some folks are not too thrilled about a future void of physical money.

One such person is a determined Aussie driver whose eccentric and thought-provoking car messages have become the centre of a lot of attention and debate.

While many Aussies are all for embracing technology, we also understand the importance of choice, especially as it can often provide a safety net for those less confident with tech.

A motorist has taken it upon himself to protest the growing momentum of cashless transactions and the rising potential of digital currencies.

Using his Holden ute as a portable billboard, he has adorned it with pro-cash sentiments and slogans of freedom that have undoubtedly fired up an intense discussion.

Screen Shot 2023-07-13 at 3.20.09 PM.png
An Aussie motorist has created a stir among 'cash is king' enthusiasts by writing a string of provocative messages on his car. Credit: Facebook.

Images of this unique protest were shared on a Facebook group, and the backlash and support, altogether quite a mixed bag, were instantaneous.

Airing out his 'cash is king' philosophy, he called out to fellow Australians to reject the Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC), a significant player in the looming prevalence of cashless transactions. He also questioned the Reserve Bank of Australia's experimentation with digital currencies and their ambition to make Australia 'cash-free'.

This act of protest comes amid growing pushback against a 'tap and go society', where Australians are boycotting retailers who refuse to accept cash.

The Facebook post unsurprisingly sparked a flurry of comments and support from those sceptical about a cash-free economy, with some even heralding the driver as a 'legend'.

'Well done,' wrote a supporter on the Call Out Cashless Business Facebook page. Others echoed these sentiments with comments like 'That's awesome. Say no,' and 'Fabulous! What a great idea to wake people up.'

Not only have these slogans prompted an intriguing debate, but they have also drawn attention to a broader societal concern.

While using a card or some mobile-based app may be second nature to many, the move towards an entirely cashless society also serves to alienate a segment of the population who are not confident or comfortable with these advanced payment methods.

'I haven't used cash for years... But I still don't think it should be mandatory. Having a choice is always better,' commented one social media user.

Others were sympathetic to those who might struggle with the transition, saying, 'How are the elderly meant to purchase groceries? So many have no idea about EFTPOS/credit etc. Cash should always be an option.'

While the convenience of a card swipe or a tap can undoubtedly make life easier, it's also true that technology can sometimes let us down. As one commentator summed it up: 'Technology is all good until it decides it no longer wants to work. Not really the best of ideas.'

Key Takeaways

• An Australian motorist has stirred up controversy with handwritten pro-cash sentiments displayed on his car.
  • This message comes amid pushback against the 'tap and go society' and retailers that do not accept cash.
  • The Facebook post about the vehicle received some major reactions, with many supporting the move towards preserving cash as a payment option.
  • The shift towards cashless transactions has sparked debate, as some argue for the importance of maintaining choice when shopping, especially referring to the elderly who are not familiar with EFTPOS or credit card transactions.

The recent backlash against digital transactions has sparked an important discussion about striking a balance between embracing evolving technology and preserving consumer choices.

It's a fascinating question: will cash eventually fade away, or will it continue to jingle in our pockets? What happens to those who do not favour going cashless? Only time holds the answer, but in the meantime, the debate goes on.

Members, what do you think? Is cash still a vital component of our daily transactions, or are we ready to fully embrace cashless alternatives? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I will never put my bank details on my phone or any other electronic device where it is available for any hacker to access & drain my small amount of money from my a/c. The thought of tapping my phone on a machine is horrifying to me. What if I lost my phone? Whoever found it would be able to spend up big by just tapping my phone on some checkout machine.
Another thing to consider in a cashless society is the fact that you don't know what you balance is at any time so it becomes much easier to overspend & be left without the money needed for an essential payment.

With a lot more shops introducing the "small" fee to use tap and go now, I've made the decision to move back to cash transactions. I certainly don't have enough money to pay that little bit extra on every purchase I make. Cash is also making it easy to track my spending.

Runni
In an era where technology is rapidly advancing, it's not surprising that Australia, like many other countries, is steering towards a cashless society. While this may be a convenience to many, some folks are not too thrilled about a future void of physical money.

One such person is a determined Aussie driver whose eccentric and thought-provoking car messages have become the centre of a lot of attention and debate.

While many Aussies are all for embracing technology, we also understand the importance of choice, especially as it can often provide a safety net for those less confident with tech.

A motorist has taken it upon himself to protest the growing momentum of cashless transactions and the rising potential of digital currencies.

Using his Holden ute as a portable billboard, he has adorned it with pro-cash sentiments and slogans of freedom that have undoubtedly fired up an intense discussion.

View attachment 25040
An Aussie motorist has created a stir among 'cash is king' enthusiasts by writing a string of provocative messages on his car. Credit: Facebook.

Images of this unique protest were shared on a Facebook group, and the backlash and support, altogether quite a mixed bag, were instantaneous.

Airing out his 'cash is king' philosophy, he called out to fellow Australians to reject the Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC), a significant player in the looming prevalence of cashless transactions. He also questioned the Reserve Bank of Australia's experimentation with digital currencies and their ambition to make Australia 'cash-free'.

This act of protest comes amid growing pushback against a 'tap and go society', where Australians are boycotting retailers who refuse to accept cash.

The Facebook post unsurprisingly sparked a flurry of comments and support from those sceptical about a cash-free economy, with some even heralding the driver as a 'legend'.

'Well done,' wrote a supporter on the Call Out Cashless Business Facebook page. Others echoed these sentiments with comments like 'That's awesome. Say no,' and 'Fabulous! What a great idea to wake people up.'

Not only have these slogans prompted an intriguing debate, but they have also drawn attention to a broader societal concern.

While using a card or some mobile-based app may be second nature to many, the move towards an entirely cashless society also serves to alienate a segment of the population who are not confident or comfortable with these advanced payment methods.

'I haven't used cash for years... But I still don't think it should be mandatory. Having a choice is always better,' commented one social media user.

Others were sympathetic to those who might struggle with the transition, saying, 'How are the elderly meant to purchase groceries? So many have no idea about EFTPOS/credit etc. Cash should always be an option.'

While the convenience of a card swipe or a tap can undoubtedly make life easier, it's also true that technology can sometimes let us down. As one commentator summed it up: 'Technology is all good until it decides it no longer wants to work. Not really the best of ideas.'

Key Takeaways

• An Australian motorist has stirred up controversy with handwritten pro-cash sentiments displayed on his car.
  • This message comes amid pushback against the 'tap and go society' and retailers that do not accept cash.
  • The Facebook post about the vehicle received some major reactions, with many supporting the move towards preserving cash as a payment option.
  • The shift towards cashless transactions has sparked debate, as some argue for the importance of maintaining choice when shopping, especially referring to the elderly who are not familiar with EFTPOS or credit card transactions.

The recent backlash against digital transactions has sparked an important discussion about striking a balance between embracing evolving technology and preserving consumer choices.

It's a fascinating question: will cash eventually fade away, or will it continue to jingle in our pockets? What happens to those who do not favour going cashless? Only time holds the answer, but in the meantime, the debate goes on.

Members, what do you think? Is cash still a vital component of our daily transactions, or are we ready to fully embrace cashless alternatives? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Running a small business I can absolutely say that we are and have always been a 50%/50% mix of cash and card. ANYONE who thinks that going cashless is a possibility, you are sadly mistaken as this ploy is about knowing where/when/ what you buy. For the young ones who want to put a roof over their heads, look out - your housing loan could be refused because of the $70 per week that you spend on coffees - now is the time to get a grip. As far as Crypto is concerned, the Govt has finally woken up to all of the CASH they are missing out on. Interesting to note: the banks dont want to issue cheque books any more BUT if you go in and want to close your account they wont pay you out in cash, guess what, the idiots give you a cheque. What the hell is going on? Actually I know the answer to that, there is not, nor has there even been a chapter in any Educational/University/Learning document that covers Common Sense. YOU cant teach Common Sense.

I will never put my bank details on my phone or any other electronic device where it is available for any hacker to access & drain my small amount of money from my a/c. The thought of tapping my phone on a machine is horrifying to me. What if I lost my phone? Whoever found it would be able to spend up big by just tapping my phone on some checkout machine.
Another thing to consider in a cashless society is the fact that you don't know what you balance is at any time so it becomes much easier to overspend & be left without the money needed for an essential payment.
Absolutely correct. I also won’t do it.

People that agree with going cashless aren’t thinking things through. They obviously don’t realise that if we go cashless, the banks, and the government have total control over your finances. If the banks won’t to start charging say $20 per transaction, you don’t have a choice, you have to pay it. And if you think they won’t do that sort of thing then you’re really out of touch.
The other thing and the main reason they are going this way is because they know exactly where every cent you get is coming from, and where you’re spending it. Eventually they will bring in the credit score society like the have in some other places, and they can decide if you’re allowed to buy something or not.
I know a lot are going to say conspiracy theories blah blah blah, but how many of the other “conspiracy theories” have been proven correct .
Time everyone stopped and had a real good hard think about things

Once a CASHEE always a CASHEE. Have posted before .... Cash = Freedom
People that agree with going cashless aren’t thinking things through. They obviously don’t realise that if we go cashless, the banks, and the government have total control over your finances. If the banks won’t to start charging say $20 per transaction, you don’t have a choice, you have to pay it. And if you think they won’t do that sort of thing then you’re really out of touch.
The other thing and the main reason they are going this way is because they know exactly where every cent you get is coming from, and where you’re spending it. Eventually they will bring in the credit score society like the have in some other places, and they can decide if you’re allowed to buy something or not.
I know a lot are going to say conspiracy theories blah blah blah, but how many of the other “conspiracy theories” have been proven correct .
Time everyone stopped and had a real good hard think about things
Oh So True ... Already I have experienced a Query of what I was gunna spend my own money on , when doing a withdrawal inside the bank . Reason for query was incase I was being Scammed ??? Really after I had already proven my Identity ! HMMMM

Conspiracy Theory???
Control over spending is already happening now in some remote outback communities.
Have been a Traveller since 2004 with no fixed address and have to agree with having already encountered CARD ONLY Payments at Shire Caravan Parks , in rural WA . Of course I move on Cash in Hand for next Caravan Park or Common Ground .

Conspiracy Theory???
Control over spending is already happening now in some remote outback communities.
I believe that was the wish of the elders in these communities.
Albo and his mates stopped it ( what about their VOICE, not listening eh Albo).
Since they cancelled it alcohol problems then became prevalent again, not only in remote communities, but in places like Laverton, Leonora, Broome, one drunken riot ending up in the death of a young woman.
Why are we having a Voice referendum when the pollies don't listen to them anyway.
This will be an unpopular comment, but city people in general, the bulk of the YES voters, have no idea.
Come and live in the country where we get called "whities" and get told.by little children "get f***d whitie, this is our country" where do they learn this??? At home. Little children roam the streets at all hours of the night, as their parents are not in a fit state to look after them. No wonder the elders want restrictions put on their spending habits.
It's a pity that people who have good intentions, but no idea, don't do a little proper research and listen to the people who actually know.

View attachment 25040

Key Takeaways

Reactions: Rob44

View attachment 25040

Key Takeaways

If I can't pay cash, I find a shop that does accept cash.

View attachment 25040

Key Takeaways

He has a point. Ever noticed, that when you pay by card, they charge you more. Hidden charges are getting worst. As been highlighted on the pages before. They want zombies to keep doing this. It's a practice that is welcomed from higher than the banks. Complete control and monitoring of what we do. It's scary, when you delve into it.

If we go cashless, it's only a matter of time before the Government doesn't allow us to spend our own money on what we want to. They can and will control what we use a bit of plastic for. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. If we fall foul of the government, watch as the bit of plastic wont work anywhere. It's called CONTROL.

yes

Reactions: Jennylolo
Hasn’t anyone heard of the WEF only recently one of the members was on TV news stating cash will be out in 5 yrs and it will be digital only and they will control everything you do. Wake up Australia one world order is getting closer,also Schwabb the head of WEF stated at the same time we will no longer be wearing fashion we will all be wearing UNIFORMS . What does that tell you , we will all be slaves to the rich and powerful.

Runni

Running a small business I can absolutely say that we are and have always been a 50%/50% mix of cash and card. ANYONE who thinks that going cashless is a possibility, you are sadly mistaken as this ploy is about knowing where/when/ what you buy. For the young ones who want to put a roof over their heads, look out - your housing loan could be refused because of the $70 per week that you spend on coffees - now is the time to get a grip. As far as Crypto is concerned, the Govt has finally woken up to all of the CASH they are missing out on. Interesting to note: the banks dont want to issue cheque books any more BUT if you go in and want to close your account they wont pay you out in cash, guess what, the idiots give you a cheque. What the hell is going on? Actually I know the answer to that, there is not, nor has there even been a chapter in any Educational/University/Learning document that covers Common Sense. YOU cant teach Common Sense.
I am with you👏🏻👏🏻

View attachment 25040

Key Takeaways

Reactions: melnugro
I fully support the Aussie car driver with the messages. What hapoened to having a choice? The big banks don't want people hoarding cash, they can't benefit from that. Too much profiting and greed. No wonder our society is in such a poor state. The Voice is being shoved down our throats, you can't say that!!! People are retreating into their homes, those who can afford a home!!!