Coles shoppers beware: $3 kettle deal scam steams up social media

In the digital age, where online shopping and social media have become intertwined with our daily lives, it's no surprise that scammers are finding increasingly sophisticated ways to trick us into parting with our hard-earned cash.

The latest scam to hit the virtual shelves is a particularly cunning one. It targets Coles shoppers with the promise of a high-end Smeg kettle for just $3, which is too good to be true.

However, before you get your hopes up about snagging a bargain in time for Mother's Day, let's take a closer look at why this deal is not just a steal, but a fake.

The scam, which circulated on social media, features a convincing image of a display of Smeg kettles, complete with a Coles sign and a prominently displayed $3 price tag.

The post claimed that Coles is offering this incredible deal as part of a new Mother’s Day promotion to shoppers who met certain criteria.

The popular kitchen gadget, available in various colours, usually sells for $200 and is in high demand among homeowners.

434818183_10160389377629545_853968076388318391_n.jpg
Coles customers were cautioned about a scam offering fake Mother’s Day promotions for $3 Smeg kettles. Credits: Facebook / Michelle Collett

‘Coles is running a promotion for Mother’s Day!’ the post read.

‘All women over 30 can get a Smeg kettle. Answer four questions to receive yours.’

The scam post garnered hundreds of responses, with some users even claiming to have received their Smeg kettle, sharing images and singing praises of the promotion.

‘It arrived in just three days, delivered this morning. I still can’t believe it’s real. Thank you so much!’ one commenter wrote along with an image of the item in her kitchen.

‘Great! This is a great kettle, I would never have believed in such a promotion, delivered very quickly!’ another shared, posting a similar image.

Alarmingly, other users expressed their intention to join the promotion after reading the positive reviews.

‘At first, I didn’t believe it, but the support confirmed everything. Therefore, already order yourself,’ one urged.

However, as the old saying goes, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. And in this case, it's not just a saying but a reality.

A Coles spokesperson confirmed that the promotion is a scam and has no affiliation with the supermarket chain.

‘Coles advises customers to be aware of websites, competitions and other unsolicited communications that use the Coles brand without Coles’ permission or which promote Coles rewards in an attempt to appear legitimate,’ a spokesperson stated.

‘These offers predominantly attempt to collect your personal details or financial information and Coles will never request personal or banking details in unsolicited communications.’

‘We encourage people to report any suspicious communication you may have received to the ACCC via their Scamwatch page,’ they added.

This is not the first time that Coles’ name was involved in this type of scam, promising shoppers with some type of deal.

Last year, Coles also warned its shoppers about a similar scam involving text messages urging them to click on a suspicious link.
Key Takeaways
  • Coles customers were warned of a scam involving a fake Mother's Day promotion for $3 Smeg kettles.
  • The scam includes a false Facebook post with images of the kettles and claims that women over 30 can participate by answering questions.
  • Many users were duped by the fake promotion, with some claiming to have received a kettle after participating.
  • Coles confirmed that this promotion is a scam and advised customers to be cautious, reminding them that Coles never requests personal or banking details in unsolicited communications.
Have you or someone you know encountered a similar scam? What are your tips on staying safe online? Share your experiences and suggestions in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
I’m surprised that anyone would be taken in by this, honestly $3 for a Smeg kettle. A few of my friends & a sister in law have this kettle & I find it rather heavy & there’s a problem with the lid occasionally deciding not to open or close.

How could anyone fall for this? The price is actually 3 pounds not 3 dollars. Surely everyone remembers what the old pound symbol was? quite different to the dollar sign. And also, if something is too good to be true is obviously not true.

I sent for one and got a charge of $298. plus exchange rate in Canadian dollars on my CBA Mastercard. Luckily, CBA was able to help me, am so grateful to them. Am scared now to do mail-orders 😔

Mel

Reactions: Ezzy
Recently there were 3 similar Facebook posts with different offers. I suspected a scam and out of curiosity, looked up those who commented positively. Most of them were by recently created profiles with all the photos posted on the same day, so they are fake. Its worth looking into things even if they seem legitimate.

Reactions: Ezzy and PattiB
These type adverts appear regularly on Facebook. stated with Bunnings ones, then Harvey Norman, currently I have seen some for laptops, computers etc. They all feature an Isle end display and appear to be in a warehouse type store. Offer is usually under $5. They are all fake.

Reactions: Ezzy and PattiB
Just got a scam saying Tupperware from Coles and to hurry up and respond before I miss out.

• Haha
Reactions: PattiB
Yes as I posted earlier, I only purchase goods with PayPal. When I have seen this scam I usually add “scam. Why would you have to divulge your financial details (usually for postage) when you can go and pick it up. “ I just hope people will realise this and refrain from giving out their details

• Love
Reactions: PattiB