SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
Confused Queensland resident mulls action on ‘very harsh’ $96 infringement fine

All of us dread getting caught violating road rules and regulations, which is why every driver worth his or her salt should take time to get familiarised with them to avoid inconvenience.

Things can get tricky though when you get fined for a violation — but have no idea what you did wrong

An anonymous female resident of Logan, Queensland, found herself in one such situation and is now considering contesting the $96 penalty she incurred over ‘improper parking’.

The woman says she almost had a ‘heart attack’ when her husband showed her the fine.

According to the local council, the infringement notice was for ‘stopping on or across a driveway unless dropping off or picking up passengers’.

lQATTD74L6EjtKwyr2uXZwu1R0no3R6npyOVK1lCwvJe2VT-DzC5hlekr5ZSxVH37823p-yfEA7cOHhSzF3YYkRRXTFArZgcb8cNUfLHty3Y-4xbAMKVTmzVh37h_T-WH4qFtJtVbBpUr9oKlTraWG_w1HleBWdJMgj1d9l9eOacpjTVt3oCoL2ALQ

A visual of the Logan woman’s park. Credit: 7news.com.au

Despite the explanation offered, she still found the reason unclear. And honestly, same here!

‘I didn’t understand it. We couldn’t figure out why.’ the woman said in confusion.

‘I see people parked like this all the time,’ she added.

The woman went to Facebook and posted in a local group to explain her situation, and it was there other residents pointed out that the car was positioned just a bit over her curb and into the public domain for pedestrians.

According to the parking rules and fines section of the Queensland Government’s website, drivers should not ‘park or stop on a road in a way that blocks access to a path or driveway unless…. you are dropping off or picking up passengers within 2 minutes of stopping’.

Despite the explanations offered by other locals, the woman is set on contesting the fine that she deems is ‘very unfair’, pointing out how other locals did not know of the rule as well.

She said she also feels like she should have gotten a warning first rather than fined right away.

The Logan City Council has yet to address the matter directly.

An unnamed council spokesperson, however, told 7News.com.au that they receive many complaints over improper parking, including circumstances similar to this anonymous woman that endanger pedestrians by forcing them to use the road to pass by.

They said: ‘Queensland road rules state that a driver must not stop on or across a driveway or other way of access for vehicles travelling to or from adjacent land unless there are certain circumstances which apply.’

Do you think the council was fair in issuing this fine?

Or should they have practised leniency and let the woman off with a warning?

Please let us know your comments and opinions below!

As there is no actual footpath there, the woman is not forcing people onto the road, And even if there were a footpath, the car is still not forcing pedestrians to use the road. A over enthusiastic inspector or traffic wqrden , or whatever. Get real Logan Council. Simply a grab for money.

Nsw has a rule that you are not allowed to park across a driveway or in a driveway if any part of the car is on the footpath.

My daughter lives two doors down from a school and she hates pick up n drop of times if she comes home during these times.

One afternoon she had an appointment and arrived home 5 minutes before the school bell and there was absolutely no parking so she parked across her driveway and went back out to move ger car 15 minutes later only to see a fine on her windscreen , it was from a council ranger and she called to explain it was her own driveway and that she returned home during school pickup , their reply was, you still broke the rules and even if you are the owner of the house the rules still apply to you.

Apparently emergency service needs to have clear access to a property which means no parking in front of driveway or driveway that is on a footpath

All of us dread getting caught violating road rules and regulations, which is why every driver worth his or her salt should take time to get familiarised with them to avoid inconvenience.

Things can get tricky though when you get fined for a violation — but have no idea what you did wrong

An anonymous female resident of Logan, Queensland, found herself in one such situation and is now considering contesting the $96 penalty she incurred over ‘improper parking’.

The woman says she almost had a ‘heart attack’ when her husband showed her the fine.

According to the local council, the infringement notice was for ‘stopping on or across a driveway unless dropping off or picking up passengers’.

lQATTD74L6EjtKwyr2uXZwu1R0no3R6npyOVK1lCwvJe2VT-DzC5hlekr5ZSxVH37823p-yfEA7cOHhSzF3YYkRRXTFArZgcb8cNUfLHty3Y-4xbAMKVTmzVh37h_T-WH4qFtJtVbBpUr9oKlTraWG_w1HleBWdJMgj1d9l9eOacpjTVt3oCoL2ALQ

Despite the explanation offered, she still found the reason unclear. And honestly, same here!

‘I didn’t understand it. We couldn’t figure out why.’ the woman said in confusion.

The woman went to Facebook and posted in a local group to explain her situation, and it was there other residents pointed out that the car was positioned just a bit over her curb and into the public domain for pedestrians.

According to the parking rules and fines section of the Queensland Government’s website, drivers should not ‘park or stop on a road in a way that blocks access to a path or driveway unless…. you are dropping off or picking up passengers within 2 minutes of stopping’.

Despite the explanations offered by other locals, the woman is set on contesting the fine that she deems is ‘very unfair’, pointing out how other locals did not know of the rule as well.

She said she also feels like she should have gotten a warning first rather than fined right away.

An unnamed council spokesperson, however, told 7News.com.au that they receive many complaints over improper parking, including circumstances similar to this anonymous woman that endanger pedestrians by forcing them to use the road to pass by.

They said: ‘Queensland road rules state that a driver must not stop on or across a driveway or other way of access for vehicles travelling to or from adjacent land unless there are certain circumstances which apply.’

just another excuse created for the simple way of a hidden revenue raising action

Nsw has a rule that you are not allowed to park across a driveway or in a driveway if any part of the car is on the footpath.

My daughter lives two doors down from a school and she hates pick up n drop of times if she comes home during these times.

One afternoon she had an appointment and arrived home 5 minutes before the school bell and there was absolutely no parking so she parked across her driveway and went back out to move ger car 15 minutes later only to see a fine on her windscreen , it was from a council ranger and she called to explain it was her own driveway and that she returned home during school pickup , their reply was, you still broke the rules and even if you are the owner of the house the rules still apply to you.

Apparently emergency service needs to have clear access to a property which means no parking in front of driveway or driveway that is on a footpath

Why did she not park in the driveway

Reactions: Jennie

My message is to our Administrator, in Australia we use the word "kerb" not curb as the Americans do.`

Why did she not park in the driveway
Because her mother inlaw was parked inside her driveway ! Her inlaws live downstairs my daughter upstairs and who ever gets home first will park in the driveway , the gates open electronically inwards and there is only enough room for 1 car.

They live in a corner house and usually heaps of parking except school pick ups and drop off's

Reactions: Jennie
TIs pic was sent by mail a couple months ago from our local counsellor, i do know a lot of ppl don't read the mail from council. But really you should.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-08-30-17-48-31-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-30-17-48-31-59.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 20
Because her mother inlaw was parked inside her driveway ! Her inlaws live downstairs my daughter upstairs and who ever gets home first will park in the driveway , the gates open electronically inwards and there is only enough room for 1 car.

They live in a corner house and usually heaps of parking except school pick ups and drop off's
Thanks for explaining that, I was just curious as to why she stayed on the street. Most council parking police are very zealous, I recently had a fractured hip and needed to have a follow up Xray and the car park was full so I parked on the street but the front wheel of my car was about 1 inch over the yellow line and I got a fine. I contested it and because of the circumstances It was waived

Thanks for explaining that, I was just curious as to why she stayed on the street. Most council parking police are very zealous, I recently had a fractured hip and needed to have a follow up Xray and the car park was full so I parked on the street but the front wheel of my car was about 1 inch over the yellow line and I got a fine. I contested it and because of the circumstances It was waived
She contested it but unfortunately it wasn't wavered.

Sorry, but I think the fine is OK, unusual in a suburb yes but I would suggest there have been complaints. Looking at the photo, the vehicle is parked on the driveway blocking part of the footpath. There appears to be apmle room withing the property boundry to park the car on the driveway without obstrucking the footpath in anyway. I recall when my children were little tring to negotiate a stroller around cars parked like this. The foot path is for public use. If you need to access part of it for parking a vehicle due to local conditions, use as little as possible. Obviously in this situation this does not apply.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I used to a Postie. Very familiar with footpath laws (not saying all posties abide by the laws either). Not her driveway, it's called a layback. Built on council property. It's potential obstruction for many things. If you don't agree with a law, the only way to change it, is start a conversation with your local member of Parliament. Good luck 👍

Reactions: robbie's
As there is no designated footpath or defining line the fine was a bit harsh. A warning should have been issued.

Reactions: Ezzy
No gootpat, no fine, plenty of room for a pedestrian to pass without having ro go on the road, revenue raising grubs. Logan council is a disgrace anyway, I'd move to a better area if I could, like Beenleigh or Ipswich is even better, lol.

Reactions: Ezzy
there is no footpath on her side of the road and anyway who paid for the driveway that extends to the road? The shire here does not it is the homeowner. quite often I have visitors who park just outside my boundary when someone else is visiting and do not go over the footpath. Money hungry council I say