Concerns over Rising Egg Prices as Caged Eggs Phased Out

There are growing concerns among consumers that egg prices may experience a significant surge if the plan to phase out caged eggs is expedited.

Australian shoppers have been cautioned about the possibility of paying as much as $15 for a dozen eggs due to the controversial decision to eliminate caged eggs from supermarket shelves.

Earlier, Woolworths announced they have already taken the initiative to discontinue their brand of caged eggs and aim to remove all caged eggs from their stores by 2025.

egg-g1141b9eb4_640.jpg
The proposed plan to phase out caged eggs raised concerns about potential financial implications. Image by Pixabay

This move towards eliminating caged eggs has also raised concerns about potential shortages in egg supply.

Industry insiders have warned that consumers may have to pay more for eggs due to the privilege of having free-range eggs on their plates.

Reporter Tamara Bowe from Sunrise said, ‘We are being warned that we could pay more for the privilege of having them on your plate with industry insiders warning that yes, a dozen could soon set you back $15, which is just unheard of, especially with the rising cost of living the way it is at the moment.’

Originally, the phasing out of caged eggs was scheduled for 2046, but the government is considering implementing these changes a decade earlier.

Unfortunately, this acceleration in the timeline could pose challenges for farmers.

They would face significant costs when transitioning their farms to free-range egg production.

Bowe added, ‘It could cost millions of dollars, not to mention they may need to buy up extra land. And, of course, that cost will get passed on to us, the consumers at the shop.’

eggs-gf2841fe6f_640.jpg
Hens raised in conventional cage systems typically have limited space, with each hen allocated an average floor space equivalent to less than a standard sheet of letter-sized paper. Image by Pixabay

Presently, caged eggs account for 33 per cent of all supermarket sales. This demonstrates the prevalence of such eggs in the market.

However, as the phase-out progresses, consumers may experience a shift towards free-range eggs, despite the potential increase in prices.

Some individuals, like journalist Susie O'Brien, are willing to pay the premium for free-range eggs, citing ethical considerations and a desire for animals to lead happy lives.

She shared, ‘I always buy free-range eggs. I do usually $8 a carton, sometimes that’s twice as much as the cage ones. It’s worth it. I already pay more for free-range chicken because I eat chickens, but I actually want them while they are alive to have a happy life. I think people are prepared to pay more.’

However, others, including Sunrise host Nat Barr, express concerns about the affordability of organic or free-range options.

‘It’s really, really expensive to buy organic or free-range—a lot of people would like to, but a lot of people won’t be able to afford that,’ she pointed out.

Woolworths reaffirmed its commitment to removing all caged eggs from its stores over the next decade. Since 2015, their own brand of egg cartons has been 100 per cent cage-free.

‘We announced our plans to transition our entire egg range to cage-free back in 2013, and we’re working closely with our suppliers to gradually phase out caged eggs from all the brands we sell by 2025. We know many retailers and hospitality operators are moving in a similar direction,’ a Woolworths spokesperson shared.

Woolworths recognises that such a transition requires time and has collaborated with suppliers to ensure they have sufficient time to adjust their production methods.

The reduction in egg supply over the past 18 months, attributed to various factors including weather conditions and input costs, has affected the market both in retail and hospitality sectors.

Woolworths currently offers cage-free (barn-laid) eggs at an entry price of $4.60 per dozen, while caged eggs are priced at $4.50 per dozen.

Our members here at SDC have paid attention to the concerns about the cost that shifting to cage-free eggs entails.. They have shared comments, expressing their thoughts and opinions on the matter.

Member @prendyc said, ‘Good about time, so cruel to chooks’.

Another member, @Colette 3799 , shared, ‘Well, it’s about time! I only buy the chickens on pasture eggs, even with cage-free, the chickens are still crammed in too tight and don’t get outdoor time.’

A third member, @Jan Purcell , stated, ‘Good, I wish all shops would stop selling caged eggs, do you know how those poor hens suffer such cruel conditions, they can't move around at all, how would we like to be caged up like those poor hens, they should be allowed to roam free, all caged hen farms, should be shut down, and named and shamed and given a very heavy fine.’

Key Takeaways

• A controversial plan to eliminate caged eggs may lead to higher egg prices.
  • Shoppers are warned that a dozen eggs could cost up to $15.
  • Woolworths is already discontinuing its own brand of caged eggs, aiming for complete removal by 2025.
  • Potential shortages are predicted due to the caged egg ban.
  • Transitioning to free-range egg production may also result in significant costs for farmers, which could be passed on to consumers.
  • The current market indicates caged eggs account for 33 per cent of supermarket sales.

The issue raises questions about ethical concerns, animal welfare, affordability, and the balance between industry sustainability and consumer accessibility.

We encourage you to reflect on these aspects and share your thoughts with others. It is through open dialogue and discussions that we can better understand the complexities of these decisions and work towards a future that aligns with our values and priorities.

We’d love to hear your opinions on this matter: what are your thoughts on the potential rise in egg prices due to the phase-out of caged eggs?

Last edited:
Sponsored
There are growing concerns among consumers that egg prices may experience a significant surge if the plan to phase out caged eggs is expedited.

Australian shoppers have been cautioned about the possibility of paying as much as $15 for a dozen eggs due to the controversial decision to eliminate caged eggs from supermarket shelves.

Earlier, Woolworths announced they have already taken the initiative to discontinue their brand of caged eggs and aim to remove all caged eggs from their stores by 2025.

View attachment 24801
The proposed plan to phase out caged eggs raised concerns about potential financial implications. Image by Pixabay

This move towards eliminating caged eggs has also raised concerns about potential shortages in egg supply.

Industry insiders have warned that consumers may have to pay more for eggs due to the privilege of having free-range eggs on their plates.

Reporter Tamara Bowe from Sunrise said, ‘We are being warned that we could pay more for the privilege of having them on your plate with industry insiders warning that yes, a dozen could soon set you back $15, which is just unheard of, especially with the rising cost of living the way it is at the moment.’

Originally, the phasing out of caged eggs was scheduled for 2046, but the government is considering implementing these changes a decade earlier.

Unfortunately, this acceleration in the timeline could pose challenges for farmers.

They would face significant costs when transitioning their farms to free-range egg production.

Bowe added, ‘It could cost millions of dollars, not to mention they may need to buy up extra land. And, of course, that cost will get passed on to us, the consumers at the shop.’

View attachment 24802
Hens raised in conventional cage systems typically have limited space, with each hen allocated an average floor space equivalent to less than a standard sheet of letter-sized paper. Image by Pixabay

Presently, caged eggs account for 33 per cent of all supermarket sales. This demonstrates the prevalence of such eggs in the market.

However, as the phase-out progresses, consumers may experience a shift towards free-range eggs, despite the potential increase in prices.

Some individuals, like journalist Susie O'Brien, are willing to pay the premium for free-range eggs, citing ethical considerations and a desire for animals to lead happy lives.

She shared, ‘I always buy free-range eggs. I do usually $8 a carton, sometimes that’s twice as much as the cage ones. It’s worth it. I already pay more for free-range chicken because I eat chickens, but I actually want them while they are alive to have a happy life. I think people are prepared to pay more.’

However, others, including Sunrise host Nat Barr, express concerns about the affordability of organic or free-range options.

‘It’s really, really expensive to buy organic or free-range—a lot of people would like to, but a lot of people won’t be able to afford that,’ she pointed out.

Woolworths reaffirmed its commitment to removing all caged eggs from its stores over the next decade. Since 2015, their own brand of egg cartons has been 100 per cent cage-free.

‘We announced our plans to transition our entire egg range to cage-free back in 2013, and we’re working closely with our suppliers to gradually phase out caged eggs from all the brands we sell by 2025. We know many retailers and hospitality operators are moving in a similar direction,’ a Woolworths spokesperson shared.

Woolworths recognises that such a transition requires time and has collaborated with suppliers to ensure they have sufficient time to adjust their production methods.

The reduction in egg supply over the past 18 months, attributed to various factors including weather conditions and input costs, has affected the market both in retail and hospitality sectors.

Woolworths currently offers cage-free (barn-laid) eggs at an entry price of $4.60 per dozen, while caged eggs are priced at $4.50 per dozen.

Our members here at SDC have paid attention to the concerns about the cost that shifting to cage-free eggs entails.. They have shared comments, expressing their thoughts and opinions on the matter.

Another member, @Colette 3799 , shared, ‘Well, it’s about time! I only buy the chickens on pasture eggs, even with cage-free, the chickens are still crammed in too tight and don’t get outdoor time.’

A third member, @Jan Purcell , stated, ‘Good, I wish all shops would stop selling caged eggs, do you know how those poor hens suffer such cruel conditions, they can't move around at all, how would we like to be caged up like those poor hens, they should be allowed to roam free, all caged hen farms, should be shut down, and named and shamed and given a very heavy fine.’

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths is already discontinuing its own brand of caged eggs, aiming for complete removal by 2025.
  • Transitioning to free-range egg production may also result in significant costs for farmers, which could be passed on to consumers.
  • The current market indicates caged eggs account for 33 per cent of supermarket sales.

The issue raises questions about ethical concerns, animal welfare, affordability, and the balance between industry sustainability and consumer accessibility.

We encourage you to reflect on these aspects and share your thoughts with others. It is through open dialogue and discussions that we can better understand the complexities of these decisions and work towards a future that aligns with our values and priorities.

We’d love to hear your opinions on this matter: what are your thoughts on the potential rise in egg prices due to the phase-out of caged eggs?
i'LL BE GETTING MY OWN BLOODY CHICKENS

I have been buying cage free eggs for years.

I saw this on sunrise on Monday and straight away , I thought now the supermarkets will put up the eggs now it's out there

We go through 3 dozen eggs aweek !

Hubby has wanted chickens for years and I've been against them only because I've been told along with chooks come rodents .
But maybe I'm going to have to give him his wish. As long as the Possums don't harm the chooks

View attachment 24801

View attachment 24802

Key Takeaways

If that happens then I will get another dozen chooks

Reactions: Bunyip57
Oh well it had to happen. Next step removal of chemicals like anti biotic, vitamins and minerals from their feed. Then the big one. Meat birds grow out in 6 to 8 weeks. They are bred to grow at incredible speed and are fed high protein fed with a good balance of vitamins and minerals. If they stop this then chickens will be expensive like beef because it will take so long to grow them.
Oh to go back to when the world was simple!

View attachment 24801

View attachment 24802

Key Takeaways

I agree. Caged Hens is not the best way to get our eggs. But, when it comes to price, as a pensioner $15 for a dozen eggs will be out of my price range. Everything is going up and it's just another expense we can't afford. Help is needed by the government to help egg farmers. Stop making everything so expensive if you are not going to supplement and help where it is needed.

I have been buying cage free eggs for years.

I saw this on sunrise on Monday and straight away , I thought now the supermarkets will put up the eggs now it's out there

We go through 3 dozen eggs aweek !

Hubby has wanted chickens for years and I've been against them only because I've been told along with chooks come rodents .
But maybe I'm going to have to give him his wish. As long as the Possums don't harm the chooks
Husband and I were only talking about getting a few chooks tn the backyard last night, we started throwing names for them around, untill my husband said, so what do we do with Agatha and Henrietta once they stop laying. Its a sticking point between us, If I name an animal or in this case Chook, they are safe for life, I could never, kill cook and eat any pet, which is what Agatha and Henrietta would be for me. Needless to say I would have been a hopeless farmers wife!

View attachment 24801

View attachment 24802

Key Takeaways

How is it there is about $1 difference for free range now, but with 13yrs to prepare they will more than double in price, particularly when 66% of eggs now are other than caged???

I grew up on a farm and we always had chickens , first in a hen house away from the farm and I cannot remember we ever had rodents .
Later on the hen house went and my dad made a space for them above the pigs and laying eggs every day . I remember in earlier years when they were running around outside , there were always a few were picked at and looked awful . That problems was gone when they were above the pigs. My dad always said “ if a chicken is not happy , it will not lay eggs “ and that is very true . He was very good with his animals , always treat them very well .
I think the media should stop putting everything on the news etc when there is another product is going up .Do we all believe what‘s been shown on these morning shows and the evening news as well.?
It really makes you depressed and what is next. Now everyone is going to the shops and buying as many eggs as are available .
I’m planning to put up a chicken coop in my backyard , but a few things have to be done first . I have done some research , rats and mice are a problem . To keep rats out , you need to have a metal container for the chicken food with a metal lid , which you can close well.
Then there are the foxes and they are very smart . I live in a semi rural area and there have been some people who have chickens been killed and that is rather sad .

Reactions: TheBear

View attachment 24801

View attachment 24802

Key Takeaways

If free range eggs are now only 6 -$8 why will they suddenly become $15. If they can be produced & sold for the lower price now prices should never reach $15. Only price gauging will enable that. Also most people would not know if they ordered free range eggs in a restaurant would they actually get free range or not.

Husband and I were only talking about getting a few chooks tn the backyard last night, we started throwing names for them around, untill my husband said, so what do we do with Agatha and Henrietta once they stop laying. Its a sticking point between us, If I name an animal or in this case Chook, they are safe for life, I could never, kill cook and eat any pet, which is what Agatha and Henrietta would be for me. Needless to say I would have been a hopeless farmers wife!
Oh I'm the same once I name a animal they are part of the family . I already told hubby if and if we got chickens this would never happen. Ours would be called Henrietta as well, and Henny penny