Concerned customer tells Woollies to take a closer look after finding something worrying on a carton of milk

A Sydney shopper took to Facebook to share a photo of a 3 litre bottle of milk, which was bought from Woolworths Wetherill Park on February 22, 2022, but has an expiry date of February 8th, making it 14 days out of date.

Picture1.png
The concerned shopper took to social media to share a photo of the expired milk, as well as his receipt, to show exactly when it was purchased.
“Heads up, you might want to get your staff at the Wetherill Park store to recheck their milk supply,” said the concerned shopper.

“Just bought it an hour ago. Please keep in mind today’s the 22nd.”

Some Facebook users were quick to point out that they believed it was the buyer's responsibility to check the expiry date on products before purchasing them, but the shopper pushed back:

“When you are juggling little kids and the shopping you try and do your best,” he said.

“The issue I have is ... it shouldn’t be my job to ensure [Woolworths] staff are doing their job!

“Would you go and check the use-by date on your McDonald’s meal?”

A Woolworths rep told 7News that the store is investigating the matter.

“We take food safety and quality very seriously and are disappointed to see the customer’s report,” the representative said.

“We’ve followed this up with our Wetherill Park store team who checked all current stock of milk. Every product is within its use-by date.

We’re looking into this instance further and are working through a resolution with the customer involved.”

The post also re-ignited debates around the validity of expiry or ‘best before’ dates.

It’s certainly true that drinking milk that has gone bad can cause food poisoning (with symptoms including vomiting, diarrhoea and stomach cramps), but it’s also worth noting that milk will often still be safe to drink for a while after its ‘best before’ date.

In fact, as long as the milk has been stored correctly (in a cool, dark place), it can often be consumed a few days after the expiry date.

The same can be said for eggs, cheese, and honey, as well as most canned goods:

Credit: Mashed

That said, it’s generally best to err on the side of caution and discard any food that has passed its ‘best before’ date. Even leftovers need to be regarded with caution, as our article from last week shows.

Sponsored
Concerned customer tells Woollies to take a closer look after finding something worrying on a carton of milk

A Sydney shopper took to Facebook to share a photo of a 3 litre bottle of milk, which was bought from Woolworths Wetherill Park on February 22, 2022, but has an expiry date of February 8th, making it 14 days out of date.

View attachment 2128
The concerned shopper took to social media to share a photo of the expired milk, as well as his receipt, to show exactly when it was purchased.
“Heads up, you might want to get your staff at the Wetherill Park store to recheck their milk supply,” said the concerned shopper.

Some Facebook users were quick to point out that they believed it was the buyer's responsibility to check the expiry date on products before purchasing them, but the shopper pushed back:

“When you are juggling little kids and the shopping you try and do your best,” he said.

“The issue I have is ... it shouldn’t be my job to ensure [Woolworths] staff are doing their job!

“We take food safety and quality very seriously and are disappointed to see the customer’s report,” the representative said.

“We’ve followed this up with our Wetherill Park store team who checked all current stock of milk. Every product is within its use-by date.

We’re looking into this instance further and are working through a resolution with the customer involved.”

The post also re-ignited debates around the validity of expiry or ‘best before’ dates.

It’s certainly true that drinking milk that has gone bad can cause food poisoning (with symptoms including vomiting, diarrhoea and stomach cramps), but it’s also worth noting that milk will often still be safe to drink for a while after its ‘best before’ date.

In fact, as long as the milk has been stored correctly (in a cool, dark place), it can often be consumed a few days after the expiry date.

That said, it’s generally best to err on the side of caution and discard any food that has passed its ‘best before’ date. Even leftovers need to be regarded with caution, as our article from last week shows.

Use by and Best Before dates are mostly a rort, never had them back them in the 60's and 70's and my mother is 96, she survived, and so have I, it is a money making scam for the business's of people who follow them, "Oh my milk is out of date, throw it out" it just brings on sooooo much waste.
Milk will keep for many days in the fridge, and as they said earlier, bet your MacDonald's doesn't have an expiry date, not much plastic does!!!
Although I have to say, two weeks is a bit of a bungle.

At the supermarket they are suppose to put there best foods out and in a rush it's so easy to not check use by dates. We pay for the best quality we expect the best

Reactions: Tervueren and Ricci

View attachment 2128

I always check the dates and get the latest one I can but. even as a best before date, milk should not be on the shelf 14 days later! Definitely a store responsibility.

Use by and Best Before dates are mostly a rort, never had them back them in the 60's and 70's and my mother is 96, she survived, and so have I, it is a money making scam for the business's of people who follow them, "Oh my milk is out of date, throw it out" it just brings on sooooo much waste.
Milk will keep for many days in the fridge, and as they said earlier, bet your MacDonald's doesn't have an expiry date, not much plastic does!!!
It’s probably a time stamp error on a Woolies staff member, BACK at the bottling plant.
Possibly should have been 28/02 instead of 02/02

II agree the use by date is only something I check on packaged ready to eat foods and Fridge goods, I don't bother on canned goods. as they will mostly last forever if kept in an undamaged can. You have to ask yourself why there is such a thing about use by dates now, when we never had that in the 80's and 70's and most of us have survived. When you see use by dates on a bottle of water don't we think it is all being just too alarmist and yet another way of getting us too spend more money on food shopping.

Reactions: Yanellio
To me "use by" and "best before" dates are a rough guide only. I tend to use 4 of my 5 senses more, does it look, smell, feel and taste right. These guides were good enough for hundreds of years before dating became a thing and will continue to be a tried and tested method for many years to come I suspect!:D

Reactions: Gaena and Yanellio

View attachment 2128

WTF

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci
An old farmer advised leaving the top of the bottle once opened as it lets the cold air in to the milk whereas once opened warm air gets in & lid on keeps that warm sir in . Personally do this & keep milk days after expiry date

An old farmer advised leaving the top of the bottle once opened as it lets the cold air in to the milk whereas once opened warm air gets in & lid on keeps that warm sir in . Personally do this & keep milk days after expiry date
My answer is simple " dont drink milk. Cows milk is meant for cows not people. Never drank milk in my life. I was once at the age of 7yrs made to drink by a teacher. When I had drunk my 1/3rd of a pint she stood in front of me declaring "That wasn't too hard, was it? This was the point at which she had 1/3 of a pint if milk down her dress. I was never made to drink milk again.

• Haha
Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
surely the onus is on each person to check that producs are compliant? both store staff and customer ? it doesn't take much to check date, no longer than to check ingredients in cereal or biscuits etc. would you "grab" a container of full cream milk then get home and complain that you should have picked up skim milk (or vice-versa)?
slipups and oversights are part of way of life nowadays, the days of proper quality control have lond gone unfortunately, and it is going to get worse over the years to come, so, just be self-diligent and have a couple or so seconds to check things, and if you find something not right just bring it to the attention of the store manager or staff member, I'm sure they will be only too happy to appologise and thank you for bringing it to their attention, you don't have to make a big holle-balloo over a simple thing like that, they MAY even offer you a discount or a free product for letting them know

Reactions: Gaena and Ricci

View attachment 2128

Honey doesnt go off,it crystalises but can still be used..Also the staff are trained (or should be)to check all use by dates on all products as they restock,they should also be fully rotating older stock to the front and fresher to the back,butters and cheeses should be reduced for sale 14 days before their use by dates,yogurts and cream (from memory)is 4 days,this is to give consumers the chance to take it home and then use the item before the use by date has expired...from an old dairycase chick.

II agree the use by date is only something I check on packaged ready to eat foods and Fridge goods, I don't bother on canned goods. as they will mostly last forever if kept in an undamaged can. You have to ask yourself why there is such a thing about use by dates now, when we never had that in the 80's and 70's and most of us have survived. When you see use by dates on a bottle of water don't we think it is all being just too alarmist and yet another way of getting us too spend more money on food shopping.
use by dates (in my way of thinking) is a good idea.
for instance, you say they didn't have them in the old days, well, I wonder how many times you (or someone) bought (say) milk and got home to find it go bad after even just one day? in those days you didn't know how long the product had been sitting on the shelf or in the store-room and the staff wouldn't know either so you couldn't blame them. yes, I think "use by date" is a good idea, it is then up to you if you decide to purchase. people buy fresh daily bread and it stays in the fridge or where-ever and its about a week or so old by the time it is fully eaten, if there's still some bread or "old" cakes left over then they probably get used in a trifle or bread and butter pudding way after use by date.

use by dates (in my way of thinking) is a good idea.
for instance, you say they didn't have them in the old days, well, I wonder how many times you (or someone) bought (say) milk and got home to find it go bad after even just one day? in those days you didn't know how long the product had been sitting on the shelf or in the store-room and the staff wouldn't know either so you couldn't blame them. yes, I think "use by date" is a good idea, it is then up to you if you decide to purchase. people buy fresh daily bread and it stays in the fridge or where-ever and its about a week or so old by the time it is fully eaten, if there's still some bread or "old" cakes left over then they probably get used in a trifle or bread and butter pudding way after use by date.
Back in the dark distant days before use by dates most of us would have had our milk etc delivered by the jolly old milkman. The milk was guaranteed fresh, ordered as required and came from a local dairy. Since the demise of the poor old milko, and milk production becoming centralised it was left up to us to gauge the freshness of the milk and so dates were put on it to help us differentiate. Dates are an arbitrary number a set number of days from production into the future. It's still a rough guide as there are many factors that go towards how quickly an item will go "off". Nothing replaces the sniff test and common sense.

Back in the dark distant days before use by dates most of us would have had our milk etc delivered by the jolly old milkman. The milk was guaranteed fresh, ordered as required and came from a local dairy. Since the demise of the poor old milko, and milk production becoming centralised it was left up to us to gauge the freshness of the milk and so dates were put on it to help us differentiate. Dates are an arbitrary number a set number of days from production into the future. It's still a rough guide as there are many factors that go towards how quickly an item will go "off". Nothing replaces the sniff test and common sense.
yes, the milkman, the baker AND the butcher, the rag&bone man, the coalman, all with horse and cart before ELECTRIC vehicles came in (not the ones nowadays). we used to pick up the horse droppings and put it on the rhubarb, then someone said "come to our place, we have custard with ours"

• Haha