Company shrinks retail footprint by nearly half, eyes profitable future

The Australian retail landscape is undergoing a seismic shift, and the latest tremor comes with the news that more than a dozen Glue Stores are set to disappear from our shopping precincts.

In a sobering announcement to the Australian Securities Exchange, Accent Group, the parent company of the famous clothing retailer, has revealed plans to reduce Glue Store's footprint across the nation significantly.

Accent Group has decided to shut down 17 Glue Stores deemed 'underperforming,' a move that will almost halve the number of outlets.

This consolidation leaves 18 stores, alongside the online shop, which are 'expected to be profitable' in the 2024-25 financial year.

1721353355367.png
Accent Group will close 17 underperforming Glue Stores across Australia. Credit: Shutterstock

The announcement has left many questions unanswered, including the specifics of which stores will face closure, the exact timeline for these changes, and the number of jobs that may be impacted.

Accent Group's chief executive, Daniel Agostinelli, has shed some light on the company's financial health, citing an earnings forecast before interest and taxes at the end of the 2023-24 financial year to be between $109.0 and $111.0 million.

Agostinelli also noted an uptick in trading conditions in the latter half of the 2023-24 financial year, with sales climbing by 1.7 per cent compared with the previous year.

‘I am pleased with our retail performance in H2, where the company continued to experience strong momentum in Skechers, The Athlete’s Foot, Hype DC, Stylerunner, Nude Lucy, and Hoka, amongst others,’ he said.

‘The decision to exit the 17 underperforming stores will allow the Glue Store management team to focus on a profitable business comprising 18 stores, including digital.’

In related news, Marquee Retail Group, which owns Colette by Colette Hayman and The Daily Edited, has entered voluntary administration due to financial troubles.

Despite this, all 60 stores remain open, and the company plans to retain its 400 employees. For more details, click here.
Key Takeaways
  • Accent Group has announced that it will close 17 underperforming Glue Stores across Australia.
  • There will be 18 Glue Stores remaining, which are expected to remain profitable along with the online shop in the 2024-25 financial year.
  • Accent Group has not provided details on which specific stores will close or how many jobs will be impacted by the closures.
  • Accent Group's CEO is pleased with the company’s retail performance and believes that focusing on the profitable stores, including their digital presence, is the right decision going forward.
Have you been affected by the closures? What are your views on the shifting retail environment? We’d love to hear your insights in the comments below.

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Sponsored
They still need to hire people in internet outlets, they don't run themselves.
Retail stores cannot keep up with the cost of astronomical rents, paying staff to stand around all day waiting for customers, etc.
In the Mandurah Forum there are literally dozens of clothing stores, most of them empty most of the time .
I have bought items on the internet for less than 50%, some even up to 70% less than the same item in store.
I don't understand why one store closes, another one opens, only to close again within about 12 months
A bit like doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Thank goodness some stores realise that there are still many people who won't buy clothes without first trying them on to see if they fit & suit your body. I will never buy clothes or shoes online.

I was at Mandurah Forum two weeks ago and found it quite uninteresting as a whole.

The only entertainment was an Indigenous woman bashing the hell out of a real estate sign near McDonalds. :ROFLMAO:
That's nothing new Veggie, I used to live 5minutes away from the Forum. Every day occurrence.
Years ago Mandurah was a lovely seaside holiday place, now it's a rat race. I couldn't wait to get out of the place.

Thank goodness some stores realise that there are still many people who won't buy clothes without first trying them on to see if they fit & suit your body. I will never buy clothes or shoes online.
I think one day you might have to, unless these shopping centres start charging more sustainable rents and people stop pushing for higher wages.

That's nothing new Veggie, I used to live 5minutes away from the Forum. Every day occurrence.
Years ago Mandurah was a lovely seaside holiday place, now it's a rat race. I couldn't wait to get out of the place.
I remember those days when Mandurah was our go-to for a relaxing holiday or even for a day at the beach. So laid back…not like that now and expanding all the time. ☹️

No I won't. I'll run around in rags &/or my PJs if I have to but I will not buy clothes that may not fit or look ridiculous on my body shape.
Fair enough,hope you can sew. Lol.
I thought like you originally but I pretty much know what suits
me and I always check the size chart for everything I purchase and have never had a disappointment.
I wasn't meaning to be sarcastic with my sewing comment. I can sew myself but the cost of fabrics these days is ridiculous,its far cheaper to buy.
Maybe pop-up shops is the answer, where they don't have to pay such ridiculous rents .
My son-in-law has a Mister Minute store, repairing shoes,cutting keys, etc. It's smaller than my bedroom and costs him $850/week. Utterly ridiculous, he's about to close down, can't make a living.

Never heard of this store & if the picture above is indicative of their shopfront I would never go in there is I did see their store. There is nothing appealing about that display
That photo immediately reminded me of Kraftwerk's 1977 song "Showroom Dummies". Cold, sterile and lifeless....

Last edited:
Yeah both of my sisters wear sketchers and never have a problem with them.😊
It might be in the USA but relevant to Australia.

Attorneys working with ClassAction.org have reason to believe that Skechers Go Walk sneakers—despite being advertised as dependable walking shoes—may suffer from a design defect that can cause wearers to trip or fall. They’re now looking into whether a class action lawsuit can be filed on behalf of buyers.

Source: https://www.classaction.org/skechers-go-walk-lawsuits#:~:text=Although Skechers advertises that its,which could lead to injuries.

Reactions: DLHM