Commonwealth Bank urges Aussies to net phishing fraudsters before tax time tangles

In an era where technology dominates our daily lives, the rise of digital scams has become a pressing issue.

Australians are increasingly falling victim to sophisticated fraud schemes, highlighting the importance of vigilance and awareness.

This growing concern underscores the need for robust measures to protect individuals from the ever-evolving tactics of cybercriminals.

As the financial year draws to a close, Australians are being urged to stay vigilant against the ever-present threat of tax phishing scams.

Despite Australians' general confidence in detecting such deceptions, startling new research indicated that nearly one in three individuals could be ensnared by these fraudulent schemes.

The study initiated by the Commonwealth Bank revealed a concerning gap between confidence and reality.

While nine out of ten adults surveyed expressed assurance in their scam-spotting abilities, a practical test involving three different tax scam scenarios found that only 69 per cent could accurately identify all as fakes.

2_20240611_085218_0001.png
Nearly one in three Australians couldn't detect a tax scam despite their confidence in spotting fake messages. Credits: Commonwealth Bank Australia

Let's delve into the details of these scams to understand why they can be so convincing:

Scam number 1 was the most obvious, with a mere 4 per cent of respondents being duped by the fake text message.

Scam number 2 proved slightly more challenging, with 7 per cent of participants failing to recognise the deceit.

Scam number 3, however, was the most insidious of all. This scam, masquerading as a legitimate message from MyGov, fooled 28 per cent of those surveyed, showcasing the sophistication of scammers in mimicking official communications.

The research also highlighted that about one in four Australians have encountered a tax-related scam, emphasising the prevalence of this issue.

The Australian Tax Office (ATO) received over 22,000 reports of tax scams in the previous year. Notably, these incidents surged from the end of the financial year, peaking in October—the period when most tax returns are processed.

James Roberts, CBA's General Manager of Group Fraud, expressed a mix of reassurance and concern. While the majority could spot scams, the fact that almost a third could not is alarming.

‘Scammers are the most opportunistic criminals and will actively campaign to capitalise on tax season,’ Mr Roberts pointed out.

‘Everyone should keep an eye out for text messages and emails impersonating myGov and the ATO.’

‘They may appear in a thread of legitimate messages from these organisations. The major red flag for this type of scam is the link, which differs considerably from the official myGov and ATO website addresses,’ he added.

Phishing scams typically involve SMS messages or emails that impersonate reputable entities.

These messages contain links leading to counterfeit websites designed to harvest personal and financial information from unsuspecting victims.

According to the National Anti-Scam Centre, phishing ranks as the third most common scam type, trailing only behind investment and romance scams.

In this year alone, Australians reported losses nearing $4.7 million to phishing scams, with the average victim losing approximately $2000.

To protect yourself from falling prey to these cunning tactics, consider the following tips:
  • Stop and think: If a call, email, or text message seems suspicious or pressures you to act immediately, it's a red flag. Legitimate organisations will not rush you into making decisions.
  • Check the facts: If in doubt, seek advice from someone you trust or reach out to the organisation directly using a verified number. Do not use contact details provided by the sender, as they may be part of the scam.
  • Reject unsolicited contacts: If you're uncertain about the legitimacy of a communication, it's best to hang up the phone, delete the email, or block the number.

With the prevalence of these scams on the rise, it is crucial for all Australians, especially seniors, to stay informed and vigilant.

Tax season, in particular, sees a surge in fraudulent activities as scammers exploit the financial anxieties and confusion surrounding this period.

These schemes often target older Australians, making it essential to understand how to protect your hard-earned cash from these cunning fraudsters.
Key Takeaways

• Almost one in three Australians failed to identify at least one tax scam when tested, despite being confident in their abilities to spot fake messages.
  • Research commissioned by the Commonwealth Bank highlighted that 69 per cent of participants correctly identified all three examples of tax phishing scams.
  • Tax scams have been prolific, with over 22,000 reported to the Australian Tax Office last year, and scammers are known to target individuals during the tax season.
  • Australians were advised to be vigilant of phishing scams by considering the legitimacy of requests, checking with trusted sources, and rejecting any suspicious calls or messages.
Have you encountered similar messages? Are you confident that you could identify a scam when shown one? What would you recommend to others to avoid falling victim to these schemes? We invite you to share your experiences and advice in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Why are Australians so trusting? As the govt imports migrants for votes, criminals are let out of jail because of some illegalities with visa process that immigration minister won't and got won't understand, scammers from abroad use Australian telephone numbers and Australian media says Australians need to be vigilant? No wonder Australians are being scammed left, right and centre as there are no safegards out there at all to protect the safety of normal trusting Aussies.

The easiest way to beat scams, is when you receive a message, instead of clicking the link or using the phone number in it, contact the business directly itself via phone or email. That way you get verification from the real source.

I have received the 3 emails and my first question was: Why would myGov give me a refund? For what?
My next move: delete.
It always the dollars that get people. Some need to smarten up.

I have had this email twice - also one that says I have an important message from myGov. its obviously a scam so I just delete them. Afterwards checked myGov for this important message -nothing!

PLAIN AND SIMPLE PEOPLE - NEVER CLICK ON A HYPO-LINK ALWAYS GO TO THE WEBSITE (as they say, let your fingers do the talking) IF YOU WANT TO CHECK. ALSO ALWAYS CHECK PHONE NUMBERS BEFORE CALLING..

Reactions: Gsr and Robeo56
I almost got caught once by a message from MyGov. I had to go into Centrelink and sort things out, like changing password. They told me that MyGov NEVER send text messages to your phone. The same would be true of ATO. If you get messages on your phone from these organisations, delete immediately.

Reactions: Gsr
While I would say I could never be scammed, I certainly would not fall for any of the three shown. Too many $$ for a legitimate refund from any govt agency.
And yeah, don't click on any links. There was a link for something in an SDC story that I didn't even click on.
Scammer can embed fake links into legit sites too. It's mind boggling really.

I can't believe people can be that stupid. Companies don't email or send sms with this type of message. If you fall for this crap you seriously need a reality check.

Attachments

• Labor'sNewsletter.png
    Labor'sNewsletter.png
    380.8 KB · Views: 0
I just got 8 emails from Telstra ??? saying they regret to inform me my a/c is on hold and no I didn't open the email

I wonder how many of the people falling for these scams are on benefits that have them living so far below the poverty line, that when they receive these emails all they see is the $$$s and don’t stop to think maybe it is a scam, they just click on the links in the false hope of getting some money to help ease their poverty stricken existence. Another reason the governments should up the benefits to at least the minimum wage amount, so people aren’t so desperately in need of money they are easily scammed.

I wonder how many of the people falling for these scams are on benefits that have them living so far below the poverty line, that when they receive these emails all they see is the $$$s and don’t stop to think maybe it is a scam, they just click on the links in the false hope of getting some money to help ease their poverty stricken existence. Another reason the governments should up the benefits to at least the minimum wage amount, so people aren’t so desperately in need of money they are easily scammed.
It doesn't seem to be people living under the property line are the ones falling for these scams. It's those people that have money and want to make more that are falling for the scams.
Gsr you sound like one of the privileged when you say: "to help ease their poverty stricken existence". What a demeaning comment! Shame on you.

It doesn't seem to be people living under the property line are the ones falling for these scams. It's those people that have money and want to make more that are falling for the scams.
Gsr you sound like one of the privileged when you say: "to help ease their poverty stricken existence". What a demeaning comment! Shame on you.
No, I am not one of the privileged ones. I grew up in poverty, one of 10 kids to parents who were never able to be anything but poor for their whole lives, no matter how long and hard they worked. I was forced by my father to leave school at 16 so I could get a job and pay board or leave home, so he didn’t have to support me. I started work in a clothing factory until I was old enough to train as a nurse, which was not my job of choice, but it was a career. I have worked since I was 16, apart from the three years I had off when my children were born, and no, there was no maternity leave or government assistance or free childcare back then. I returned to work doing night shifts so my husband was home with the kids. Most of my life has been spent working in nursing or retail jobs, both low paid areas and hard work. I am still working at 70 as hubby had to retire at 66 due to ill health. We own our home after years of scrimping and saving, I can count the holidays we have had on one hand. We are like everyone else who is struggling to survive on the aged pension, I still work so we can afford to eat and pay our bills. I have a sister who lives well below the poverty line, and yes I do help her out when I can financially or her and her son would not eat or be able to afford fuel to run the generator for the power in the rat infested, run down shed she lives in. She has been trying to find a rental for over three years, but because she is on Centrelink what she can afford is always the most sought after rental. Believe me, I have a lot of empathy for people living below the poverty line and would never ever judge them.

Reactions: Kinga2024