Common myth debunked after a Woolworths shopper stumbles across a ‘disgusting’ buy

One Woolworths shopper was not exactly delighted by the ‘surprise’ that came with his purchase – and he shared his frustration in a social media post that later on made the rounds.

James Hiley vowed to boycott the supermarket giant after being sold an ‘utterly disgusting’ pear. However, an expert jumped in on the discussion to defend Woolworths, urging customers to have confidence in supermarkets' fresh produce.

The fruit, which was bought at the Neutral Bay store on Sunday, seemed fresh and edible at first glance but when James Hiley’s wife cut it open, the ghastly sight made her scream in horror.

‘The inside of the pear was dark brown, soft, and mouldy,' James described. ‘Due to shock and horror at the sight, we threw the pear out immediately.’

James confronted Woolworths by posting a complaint directly on their Facebook page.

‘I purchased fresh pears from Neutral Bay Woolworths yesterday. Utterly disgusting and a genuine health and safety concern. How old must this pear be?’ he wrote.

‘This just goes to show how chemical modification can ensure a ‘fresh’ exterior is maintained whilst the genuine ‘health’ below the surface tells the true story. Horrifying to think how these foods are affecting people's long-term health.’ he continued.

WB6yC3VDOgI3_irGiZtu5dsT_M7c6N234BamT-qpmfySz5QQWasUY-g9rx6NY6HFURhDbG4oFV3wmsJiX8UGPhvu1HqKq6zIT4WZE2IQg5yxiNDmfZe-i6CgvPcyco_qUnaOPTI883ecx0H078CVO2c

James was mortified by the ‘disgusting’ pear that he bought from Woolies. Source: Yahoo! News

But an expert in Food and Agribusiness weighed in on the disgruntled customer’s claims, explaining that it was likely due to internal fungal rot and not a result of modern practices such as chemical modification.

According to Good Fruit Grower, an internal fungal rot begins to develop while the fruit is on the tree. It’s typically caused by ‘Alternaria’ and other species of fungi, which enter the fruit and thrive in the seed cavity.

Spongy brown flesh may spread from the core but the rotting can not be discerned from the exterior of the fruit. Usually, the fruit might drop from the tree prematurely when they acquire this.

‘It’s pretty common but I can’t make a proper diagnosis from just a picture,’ Dr Kim-Yen Phan-Thien from Sydney University said.

‘Consumers don’t see it often because rotten fruit is typically waded out before it gets to the stores.’

1bwtxCROP7cFcq_4se_iPDm5UeftQtryKvdMt_elJDl96NIAo-weZuwudbWI9WECrxiBqc365cVnbiFtGIvsoc4yCWMgOU1521Iwu9J1xxvtkrukJWqcPnwh2OY11BWk8og8F510ZgEWygKohhud1j4

Internal fungal rot in citrus. Source: Wiley Online Library

Dr Phan-Thien added that there are several misconceptions about the practices used to maximise the shelf-life of fresh produce sold in major supermarkets.

‘Refrigeration is a form of preservation and apples might be waxed to prevent moisture loss,’ she said.

‘There may be chemicals used to inhibit or reduce the risk of disease–depending on the type of fruit–but they are approved for use and are safe for consumption.’

She said Australia’s horticultural industry manages the quality and safety of produce 'very well' and serious issues rarely pop up.

A spokesperson for Woolworths acknowledged the concern raised and stated that it takes such reports seriously.

‘We take food quality seriously and are disappointed to receive this customer’s report,’ the spokesperson said.

‘We’ve passed this onto our supply partners for their awareness, and haven’t received any other reports on similar products at this time. If ever our customers are disappointed with the quality of one of our products, we’d encourage them to contact their local store for a replacement and refund.’

The supermarket giant speculated that the recent heavy rain may have contributed to the pear's state.

What are your thoughts on this story? Did Woolworths deserve the backlash from the shopper or was he a little out of line? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
One Woolworths shopper was not exactly delighted by the ‘surprise’ that came with his purchase – and he shared his frustration in a social media post that later on made the rounds.

James Hiley vowed to boycott the supermarket giant after being sold an ‘utterly disgusting’ pear. However, an expert jumped in on the discussion to defend Woolworths, urging customers to have confidence in supermarkets' fresh produce.

The fruit, which was bought at the Neutral Bay store on Sunday, seemed fresh and edible at first glance but when James Hiley’s wife cut it open, the ghastly sight made her scream in horror.

‘The inside of the pear was dark brown, soft, and mouldy,' James described. ‘Due to shock and horror at the sight, we threw the pear out immediately.’

James confronted Woolworths by posting a complaint directly on their Facebook page.

‘I purchased fresh pears from Neutral Bay Woolworths yesterday. Utterly disgusting and a genuine health and safety concern. How old must this pear be?’ he wrote.

‘This just goes to show how chemical modification can ensure a ‘fresh’ exterior is maintained whilst the genuine ‘health’ below the surface tells the true story. Horrifying to think how these foods are affecting people's long-term health.’ he continued.

WB6yC3VDOgI3_irGiZtu5dsT_M7c6N234BamT-qpmfySz5QQWasUY-g9rx6NY6HFURhDbG4oFV3wmsJiX8UGPhvu1HqKq6zIT4WZE2IQg5yxiNDmfZe-i6CgvPcyco_qUnaOPTI883ecx0H078CVO2c

James was mortified by the ‘disgusting’ pear that he bought from Woolies. Source: Yahoo! News

But an expert in Food and Agribusiness weighed in on the disgruntled customer’s claims, explaining that it was likely due to internal fungal rot and not a result of modern practices such as chemical modification.

According to Good Fruit Grower, an internal fungal rot begins to develop while the fruit is on the tree. It’s typically caused by ‘Alternaria’ and other species of fungi, which enter the fruit and thrive in the seed cavity.

Spongy brown flesh may spread from the core but the rotting can not be discerned from the exterior of the fruit. Usually, the fruit might drop from the tree prematurely when they acquire this.

‘It’s pretty common but I can’t make a proper diagnosis from just a picture,’ Dr Kim-Yen Phan-Thien from Sydney University said.

‘Consumers don’t see it often because rotten fruit is typically waded out before it gets to the stores.’

1bwtxCROP7cFcq_4se_iPDm5UeftQtryKvdMt_elJDl96NIAo-weZuwudbWI9WECrxiBqc365cVnbiFtGIvsoc4yCWMgOU1521Iwu9J1xxvtkrukJWqcPnwh2OY11BWk8og8F510ZgEWygKohhud1j4

Dr Phan-Thien added that there are several misconceptions about the practices used to maximise the shelf-life of fresh produce sold in major supermarkets.

‘Refrigeration is a form of preservation and apples might be waxed to prevent moisture loss,’ she said.

‘There may be chemicals used to inhibit or reduce the risk of disease–depending on the type of fruit–but they are approved for use and are safe for consumption.’

She said Australia’s horticultural industry manages the quality and safety of produce 'very well' and serious issues rarely pop up.

A spokesperson for Woolworths acknowledged the concern raised and stated that it takes such reports seriously.

‘We take food quality seriously and are disappointed to receive this customer’s report,’ the spokesperson said.

‘We’ve passed this onto our supply partners for their awareness, and haven’t received any other reports on similar products at this time. If ever our customers are disappointed with the quality of one of our products, we’d encourage them to contact their local store for a replacement and refund.’

The supermarket giant speculated that the recent heavy rain may have contributed to the pear's state.

What are your thoughts on this story? Did Woolworths deserve the backlash from the shopper or was he a little out of line? Let us know in the comments below!
I think he should have approached the store before posting his comments, it’s a little unfair to blame Woolies for produce that looks perfectly good on the outside , yes disappointing on cutting it open to see spoilt fruit, but getting an explanation as to why before leaving nasty comments is certainly better than blaming without knowing the reason for the problem.

Please !!! Who hasn't purchased fruit or vegetables that weren't bad inside.

I have purchased bags of potatoes, oranges and apple that I found bad when I opened them . I have found moldly fruit n veg in the middle of the bag.
This made me upset and called the store and was given a refund. This to me was old bags of produce.

I did not post it on social media
Why do people want to make fuss over nothing.
I can understand if they found a needle in it or similar but just because the fruit was bad inside ...please.

To many princesses in the world

I bought a dozen Peaches from a Woolworths once, and got home, bit into one it was rotten, I cut another in half, it too was rotten so I cut them all in half, all were rotten, I took photo's emailed them off and was told to take the fruit back to the store, within an hour there was not one peach in that store so something was wrong.
Stored to long I reckon, we get fruit now days that is apparently 2 years old and they call it fresh, I don't think so!.

Nothing worse than biting into a nice piece of fruit only to end up with a mouthful of yuck or wriggles. From a farmers side, fruit can look good but rain can definitely cause hidden surprises.

These things happen. Not the retailers fault. If you don’t like it the try growing some fruit trees at home. If you don’t have a lot of room there are varieties that can be grown in large pots.

So shops are supposed to have X-ray vision now? You bought the fruit on its outside appearance the same as they did and instead of spitting the dummy and boycotting the store you could have gone back, shown them the product and been refunded. They could have then contacted the grower to let them know.

Woolworths disguises the truth a bit with its slogan the fresh food people their fruit and vegetables are often weeks old they are treated with chemicals to make them last loñger and are kept in refrigerated warehouses before being sold the good thìng about their prices at the moment being so expensive is that it is getting people to grow their own fruit and veg like they used to in our grandparents era

Oh for goodness sake, anyone that has grown their own fruit and/or veg will tell you that sometimes the produce comes out less than perfect. It's nobodies fault, sh*t happens. Mind you, I do believe that stores like Coles and Woolies have done their customers a dis-service by only selling perfectly formed and uniformly sized and shaped produce. Get real people, accept and embrace the mis-shapes, the less than perfect but equally tasty offerings and just maybe you will be surprised and the price will fall. :)

I have found Woolworths to be very responsive to complaints about spoilt fruit. preferably they like photos or samples returned. Even when I have a delivery and fruit is not perfect they are quite willing to refund me. Samples of poor quality fruit have been rare and certainly no more frequent than other shops.

Woolworths disguises the truth a bit with its slogan the fresh food people their fruit and vegetables are often weeks old they are treated with chemicals to make them last loñger and are kept in refrigerated warehouses before being sold the good thìng about their prices at the moment being so expensive is that it is getting people to grow their own fruit and veg like they used to in our grandparents era
Nothing better than home grown

i buy canned fruit for this reason and mostly because fruit is NOT fresh when you buy from the supermarkets.
all the preservatives and chemical sprays used to 'keep' food fresh is what's causing a lot of our modern day health concerns.
Give me back the day when you could go out on a weekend and pick your own fruit up straight from the grower, better for the seller with all profits going back to maintaining farming, and better for the environment

Geez some people will b*tch over anything. The store didn't know about the fruit. I once bit into the juciest best nectarine I'd ever had only to realise a second later there were two LIVE earwigs in the centre. I was a millimeter from eating them. Aaarrrggghhh!😱 I screamed, spit and wanted to chop my own head off...but...I did not even think of b*tching about it online. It's kind of an awful but funny story now.

And btw, maybe that pear was a very special type that is a two in one variety. Pear on the outside and caramel on the inside. You have to admit it does look like that.

Best suggestion: NEVER bite into fruit. Cut them up and check for wiggling or other unwanted surprises inside first.

I have picked lemons fresh off the tree (there were no sprays used) only to find them bad inside because a bug had got to the centre and was rotting it from the inside to out and this was 55 years ago in Perth Western Australia and the lemon tree at the time was know to be just over 100 years old then.

Why not take the pear back to the store where it was purchased instead of being pathetic and immediately putting it online. Pears need to be handled carefully as they bruise from the inside out as well.

Reactions: Ezzy and terri

Perhaps the customer, without knowing what may have caused this problem suffered from 'foot in mouth.' I believe he should have, as I've done on similar occasions, firstly phoned the store & then taken the offending product back on his next visit. Stores need to know about these problems but not in this manner & as there appears to be an explanation for this problem, he now has egg on his face. (Don't shoot first & ask questions later!).

Just as his wife wasn't aware of the problem when it was purchased l believe the employee who placed it there was also unaware. Just goes to show, 'you can't judge the inside of a piece of fruit by its outside.'

Is this what Americans do prior to submitting a big claim for damages? Give these stores the benefit of the doubt!

Last edited:

I took photos of mouldy peaches on sale in one Woolworth’s store, and often found veg there that was clearly less than fresh. The store has since had a revamp and seems better, but I prefer to shop in Coles now.

I took photos of mouldy peaches on sale in one Woolworth’s store, and often found veg there that was clearly less than fresh. The store has since had a revamp and seems better, but I prefer to shop in Coles now.
Not what would be expected from any store selling fruit & veg.