Rainbow Lorikeets are amazingly very cheeky and quite often naughty. They Love rain - actually, they love to get wet! Yes, at times of the year, they can get drunk - on nectar from native flowers or even fruit on trees, but mainly the nectar of flowers.

So it is no wonder Chappie looks to be having a great time - because it seems he has had a chance to get out in the rain or at least a good sprinkler or spray from a hose and has had some food.

If he is a pet, nectar powder from a pet shop or supermarket will help him greatly. this will eventually bring out some beautiful colours on his feathers (more than he has now).

Also, if he is a pet, he can be taught to talk to but watch out, he is a parrot family member, so he will learn like one, even not so PG words. ha ha ha.

I had one, well the family did, ever since he was a newly hatched chick that had been blown out the nest, he was brought home and raised by hand and imprinted on us. so when it came time to put him in with other rescue birds that one of us did, he didn't fit in and was attacked, so he was separated and more or less became a pet with the unreleasable birds. he used to be lined up with a couple of other cages that had galahs in them and would dig around on the ground and watch the guys working on cars - so you can imagine the words he learned. And he did, Amigo not only learnt the F word but F off. And he knew when to use them!

But that aside, he was a cheeky boy who would let us pat him and give him scratches (tickle between feathers), and the naughtiest thing he did was constantly mess his cage up or, worst of all, try to drown himself in his 'pool' (a large water dish he could get in and splash about in) as he'd get in there and lie on his back with his head under the water and we'd have to get him out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rainbow Lorikeets are amazingly very cheeky and quite often naughty. They Love rain - actually, they love to get wet! Yes, at times of the year, they can get drunk - on nectar from native flowers or even fruit on trees, but mainly the nectar of flowers.

So it is no wonder Chappie looks to be having a great time - because it seems he has had a chance to get out in the rain or at least a good sprinkler or spray from a hose and has had some food.

If he is a pet, nectar powder from a pet shop or supermarket will help him greatly. this will eventually bring out some beautiful colours on his feathers (more than he has now).

Also, if he is a pet, he can be taught to talk to but watch out, he is a parrot family member, so he will learn like one, even not so PG words. ha ha ha.

I had one, well the family did, ever since he was a newly hatched chick that had been blown out the nest, he was brought home and raised by hand and imprinted on us. so when it came time to put him in with other rescue birds that one of us did, he didn't fit in and was attacked, so he was separated and more or less became a pet with the unreleasable birds. he used to be lined up with a couple of other cages that had galahs in them and would dig around on the ground and watch the guys working on cars - so you can imagine the words he learned. And he did, Amigo not only learnt the F word but F off. And he knew when to use them!

But that aside, he was a cheeky boy who would let us pat him and give him scratches (tickle between feathers), and the naughtiest thing he did was constantly mess his cage up or, worst of all, try to drown himself in his 'pool' (a large water dish he could get in and splash about in) as he'd get in there and lie on his back with his head under the water and we'd have to get him out!
I love this response, but what I love most is how he found a way to get you all to let him out! :ROFLMAO: What a smart fella!!

In our last house, we had nesting trees & the Lorikeets used to vie for the best nesting sites with the galas & the crows. with the Lorikeets winning the best sites usually. Our new house has no trees in its garden so no Lorikeets or Galas or cockatoos just a couple of pigeon fanciers live in the street. I really do miss the variety of birds from the last place. here were even Coels or the Queensland cuckoo that came in September & left again in March for their home in Indonesia after laying their eggs in Crow's nests. As I hate crows I used to look forward to them coming. As they roost in one area only What will happen when all the trees are cut down just so someone can add another few million dollars to their bank account?

Oh yes! Pet birds within the parrot family and those who are equipped with the ability to talk provide so much joy for their owners. We have a great Major Mitchell Cuckatoo - a protected indigenous species particular to WA - who would always try to be part of any conversation near his cage. He has a stack of saved favorite phrases that he belts out willy-nilly such as; "What are you doing?...How are you, Mate?...Mitchie here" and, unfortunately, some colorful Aussie curse words. He has his normal Passwell bird pellets but he loves macadamias, peanuts, almonds, blueberries and a bit of toast with a very thin spread of Vegemite.
- Emwick in Perth

In our last house, we had nesting trees & the Lorikeets used to vie for the best nesting sites with the galas & the crows. with the Lorikeets winning the best sites usually. Our new house has no trees in its garden so no Lorikeets or Galas or cockatoos just a couple of pigeon fanciers live in the street. I really do miss the variety of birds from the last place. here were even Coels or the Queensland cuckoo that came in September & left again in March for their home in Indonesia after laying their eggs in Crow's nests. As I hate crows I used to look forward to them coming. As they roost in one area only What will happen when all the trees are cut down just so someone can add another few million dollars to their bank account?
Oh wow, what a great point @Nana Zorak!

What a wonderful story thank you for sharing it and to know you have some wonderful memories,yes they pick up on everything you say a lot cleaver than some adults ha ha.👌
Oh yes! Pet birds within the parrot family and those who are equipped with the ability to talk provide so much joy for their owners. We have a great Major Mitchell Cuckatoo - a protected indigenous species particular to WA - who would always try to be part of any conversation near his cage. He has a stack of saved favorite phrases that he belts out willy-nilly such as; "What are you doing?...How are you, Mate?...Mitchie here" and, unfortunately, some colorful Aussie curse words. He has his normal Passwell bird pellets but he loves macadamias, peanuts, almonds, blueberries and a bit of toast with a very thin spread of Vegemite.
- Emwick in Perth
A talkative parrot and an inquisitive toddler sure seem like quite a pair! :ROFLMAO:

We had a Lorrie too from a hatchling! He was such a character with bucket loads of personality. He could make all the different sounds of our phones not just the wall phone but the IPhones too. He loved to get under the paper on the bottom of his cage and “ practice” his words and sounds until he got them right. One day he was sitting on the window sill when a flock of lorikeets flew by. Whinger (By name and by nature) looked up and offered a “ aww hello!!” And was very putout when they didn’t return the greeting 😂. He could form sentences too I put my hand in the cage to clean him out and got meet with a “ What are you doing” or the boys would call out when they got home and he told them to “ take your shoes off”. After a party we had, a few days later he was making all the noises of everyone talking and laughing!! He was so loud and raucous but we loved every minute of the nine years we had him

• Love
Reactions: Jarred Santos
We had a Lorrie too from a hatchling! He was such a character with bucket loads of personality. He could make all the different sounds of our phones not just the wall phone but the IPhones too. He loved to get under the paper on the bottom of his cage and “ practice” his words and sounds until he got them right. One day he was sitting on the window sill when a flock of lorikeets flew by. Whinger (By name and by nature) looked up and offered a “ aww hello!!” And was very putout when they didn’t return the greeting 😂. He could form sentences too I put my hand in the cage to clean him out and got meet with a “ What are you doing” or the boys would call out when they got home and he told them to “ take your shoes off”. After a party we had, a few days later he was making all the noises of everyone talking and laughing!! He was so loud and raucous but we loved every minute of the nine years we had him
Whinger sounds like quite a cheeky little lorikeet, @Lelly :giggle: Surely he felt the same way too!

I get really annoyed with the lorikeets which come into my garden as they eat the fruit on the trees before they are even ripe. Hence, I get no fruit for myself at all.
Sorry about that reet,but you can purchase netting from Bunnings to cover your trees.
Tried that but they found their way under the netting.
Well we may have to suggest a scarecrow,what do you think🤢
Hmmm how about bird scarers? I found mentions of it when I looked up how to deal with lorikeets online :O