Coles, Woolworths, IGA and ALDI affirm stance on supermarket self-serve checkouts

The debate around self-serve checkouts in supermarkets has been raging for years, with shoppers deeply divided on the controversial technology. While some see them as an efficient way to speed up their shopping, others argue they take jobs away from workers and prefer the traditional checkout experience.

While it is a contentious issue worldwide, major retailers in the UK and the US have started ditching the machines.

In a previous story, it was revealed that British grocery giant Booths recently removed all its self-checkouts after shoppers complained they were slow, unreliable and impersonal. You can read more on that here.

Meanwhile, in the US, Costco has scrapped most self-serves, and Walmart is also moving away from the technology.

So, will Aussie retailers like Coles and Woolworths soon remove their self-checkouts too?

compressed-shutterstock_2319565869.jpeg
Retailers in the UK and US removed self-serve checkouts in their stores. Credit: Shutterstock

While the supermarkets’ previous statements point to a ‘No’, they’ve now given a more in-depth response to why self-serve checkouts are here to stay.

Woolworths​

A Woolworths spokesperson said millions of transactions are made on their self-checkouts daily, and customer feedback shows they are popular for speed and convenience.

They added: ‘The use of self-service technology is commonplace from airports to railway stations, and customer feedback shows our self-serve checkouts are popular for their convenience and speed.’

‘Our supermarkets employ more team members than ever before as we expand to cater to a range of [...] shopping needs—from rapid grocery delivery to the traditional in-store experience, as well as other convenient options like Direct to Boot.’

‘We know some customers prefer to be served by a team member, and that's why there is always that option in all of our stores.’

‘We know there [are] many different opinions on the use of this technology, and that's why we have a range of ways for customers to complete their shop,’ they explained.

Coles​

On the other hand, Coles stated over two-thirds of shoppers now prefer self-serve checkouts, and the usage continues to climb.

‘Self-service checkouts are a great option for customers because they offer convenience and efficiency when shopping in our stores to help customers check out more quickly and pack their bags [how] they like,’ a Coles spokesman explained.

He continued: ‘Over the past year, we have seen greater customer satisfaction and uptake in our self-service options. Of course, if customers prefer to be served by a team member, someone will always be available in the service area to serve them.’

‘We have never been more committed to supporting Australians with employment opportunities, having recruited an additional 22,000 team members compared to five years ago.’

ALDI​

Meanwhile, supermarket chain ALDI has announced expanding its self-service checkouts. By the end of the year, approximately 200 out of its 580 stores will have this technology.

The company views the technology as a win-win situation as it not only efficiently serves customers but also frees up staff to focus on customer service, stock replenishment, and store presentation.

National Store Operations Director Hayden Pierce said on the company website: ‘ALDI stores will continue to operate with both self-checkouts and staffed checkouts, so customers will still be able to choose the option they prefer.’

compressed-2aadad.jpeg
Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI stated that self-serve checkouts will not be removed from their stores. Credit: Shutterstock

‘Customers can ask an ALDI employee to open a staffed checkout if there is not one already available,’ he added.

Costco​

The Australian branches of Costco, on the other hand, have decided not to implement the same changes as their American counterparts.

‘One of our priorities at Costco is our members' shopping experience,’ Costco Managing Director Patrick Noone shared.

‘Our members have responded positively to self-serve checkouts, which are a great way of enhancing convenience in the warehouses.’

‘We have them in five of our Australian warehouses, Canberra, North Lakes, Adelaide, Marsden Park and Lake Macquarie, with plans to expand to more warehouses in the future,’ he added.

He continued: ‘Despite this, we believe our staffed checkouts are integral to providing members with a personalised service, so they will remain a large part of the Costco shopping experience.’

IGA​

Among Aussie retailers, IGA remains steadfast in resisting self-serve checkouts. An IGA spokesperson stated, ‘Although some of our IGA stores have a self-serve option, the priority is, and always has been, people first in our stores.’

‘We appreciate that self-service provides convenience, especially when customers are in a hurry or only have a few items. But when it comes to human connection, nothing can replace the experience of face-to-face interaction at our checkouts,’ they explained.

‘We hear hundreds of stories a week across our network about the unique interactions between various communities and store team members, so we know that a friendly "How is your day going?" can make someone’s day,’ they added.

The spokesperson expressed: ‘We also know that whether it’s a parent trying to juggle their children and their groceries, or an elderly customer who needs a helping hand with their items, the support of our team at the checkouts is a huge help to our community.’

Research by consumer group Canstar Blue found opinions amongst shoppers are polarised about the technology—41 per cent prefer staffed checkouts, while 34 per cent opt for self-serve.

Canstar Blue Editor-in-Chief Christine Seib stated: ‘While shoppers have some understandable objections to self-serve checkouts—ranging from the impact on jobs to the principle of paying higher grocery prices while also taking on the task of checking-out their shopping—the fact that a third of shoppers would rather use a self-serve checkout means rolling back their use would likely upset a big group of shoppers.’

Some experts argue supermarkets still need a mix of options. 'There will always be consumers who want a personalised experience and prefer social interaction while others just want to dash in and out,' said Retail Expert Professor Gary Mortimer.

So, while overseas retailers may be ripping out their self-checkouts, don’t expect our big Aussie supermarkets to do follow any time soon.

Key Takeaways
  • Self-serve checkouts are here to stay in Australian supermarkets, despite some overseas chains, like Booths in the UK and Costco in the US, removing them due to customer feedback.
  • IGA is one chain favouring personalised service over self-serve checkouts, while major supermarkets Coles, Woolworths, ALDI and Costco Australia have no plans to scrap self-serve options.
  • A Canstar Blue survey found that Australian shoppers are divided on self-serve registers, with 41 per cent preferring to be served at the check-out and 34 per cent finding it quicker and more convenient to do it themselves.
  • Experts believe Australian supermarkets are unlikely to follow the lead of overseas chains, and retailers need a combination of self-serve and staffed checkouts to meet customer demand.

What’s your take on the supermarkets’ stance on self-serve checkouts, members? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
As I said yesterday, you can't go wrong with IGA. I also have a scooter which I choose to park just outside and use trolley to make what's left of legs work. My angels wheel my trolley back to my scooter, pack my stuff into the bag on the back, give me a hug and smile and wish me luck. Try them, you can't go wrong.
I love to know which state your IGA is. Really happy to hear about your stress free shopping and a hug thrown in. So ģood to find something that you know thats a keeper, why would you shop anywhere else. That IGA store has everything you need. Above all, fantastic customer service skills. I'm guessing you tell them great service cause they need to hear that. So happy for you. 🙂

If the self-serve computer software can remember all the items in a supermarket, surely CEOs and managers can be replaced by same. No need to pay top dollar salaries or bonuses. Think I might have hit upon a way for companies to reduce costs. :)

Reactions: Skeeta22
I think they should have both and they should also add more checkouts with a checkout person.

We see people complaining about the self serve checkouts but I also think if they were removed then people will also complain.
If I have only a few items I know I don't want to line up and wait for ages to be served. I want in and out.

I think they need both .

Self serve isn't taking away jobs, they are an extra . People were always complaining of the long lines at checkouts and self serve was added as an extra . Why do I know this I was at a BBQ a few weeks ago with a coles Area manager
Self serve or manned checkouts, people will always complain about them or lack thereof. Personally I will NEVER use them. If the store wants me to scan and pack my own shopping instead of them paying staff to do it for me, then I want a staff discount thanks

• Haha
Reactions: freedy50
The debate around self-serve checkouts in supermarkets has been raging for years, with shoppers deeply divided on the controversial technology. While some see them as an efficient way to speed up their shopping, others argue they take jobs away from workers and prefer the traditional checkout experience.

While it is a contentious issue worldwide, major retailers in the UK and the US have started ditching the machines.

In a previous story, it was revealed that British grocery giant Booths recently removed all its self-checkouts after shoppers complained they were slow, unreliable and impersonal. You can read more on that here.

Meanwhile, in the US, Costco has scrapped most self-serves, and Walmart is also moving away from the technology.

So, will Aussie retailers like Coles and Woolworths soon remove their self-checkouts too?

View attachment 35205
Retailers in the UK and US removed self-serve checkouts in their stores. Credit: Shutterstock

While the supermarkets’ previous statements point to a ‘No’, they’ve now given a more in-depth response to why self-serve checkouts are here to stay.

Woolworths​

A Woolworths spokesperson said millions of transactions are made on their self-checkouts daily, and customer feedback shows they are popular for speed and convenience.

They added: ‘The use of self-service technology is commonplace from airports to railway stations, and customer feedback shows our self-serve checkouts are popular for their convenience and speed.’

‘Our supermarkets employ more team members than ever before as we expand to cater to a range of [...] shopping needs—from rapid grocery delivery to the traditional in-store experience, as well as other convenient options like Direct to Boot.’

‘We know some customers prefer to be served by a team member, and that's why there is always that option in all of our stores.’

‘We know there [are] many different opinions on the use of this technology, and that's why we have a range of ways for customers to complete their shop,’ they explained.

Coles​

On the other hand, Coles stated over two-thirds of shoppers now prefer self-serve checkouts, and the usage continues to climb.

‘Self-service checkouts are a great option for customers because they offer convenience and efficiency when shopping in our stores to help customers check out more quickly and pack their bags [how] they like,’ a Coles spokesman explained.

He continued: ‘Over the past year, we have seen greater customer satisfaction and uptake in our self-service options. Of course, if customers prefer to be served by a team member, someone will always be available in the service area to serve them.’

‘We have never been more committed to supporting Australians with employment opportunities, having recruited an additional 22,000 team members compared to five years ago.’

ALDI​

Meanwhile, supermarket chain ALDI has announced expanding its self-service checkouts. By the end of the year, approximately 200 out of its 580 stores will have this technology.

The company views the technology as a win-win situation as it not only efficiently serves customers but also frees up staff to focus on customer service, stock replenishment, and store presentation.

National Store Operations Director Hayden Pierce said on the company website: ‘ALDI stores will continue to operate with both self-checkouts and staffed checkouts, so customers will still be able to choose the option they prefer.’

View attachment 35206
Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI stated that self-serve checkouts will not be removed from their stores. Credit: Shutterstock

‘Customers can ask an ALDI employee to open a staffed checkout if there is not one already available,’ he added.

Costco​

The Australian branches of Costco, on the other hand, have decided not to implement the same changes as their American counterparts.

‘One of our priorities at Costco is our members' shopping experience,’ Costco Managing Director Patrick Noone shared.

‘Our members have responded positively to self-serve checkouts, which are a great way of enhancing convenience in the warehouses.’

‘We have them in five of our Australian warehouses, Canberra, North Lakes, Adelaide, Marsden Park and Lake Macquarie, with plans to expand to more warehouses in the future,’ he added.

He continued: ‘Despite this, we believe our staffed checkouts are integral to providing members with a personalised service, so they will remain a large part of the Costco shopping experience.’

IGA​

Among Aussie retailers, IGA remains steadfast in resisting self-serve checkouts. An IGA spokesperson stated, ‘Although some of our IGA stores have a self-serve option, the priority is, and always has been, people first in our stores.’

‘We appreciate that self-service provides convenience, especially when customers are in a hurry or only have a few items. But when it comes to human connection, nothing can replace the experience of face-to-face interaction at our checkouts,’ they explained.

‘We hear hundreds of stories a week across our network about the unique interactions between various communities and store team members, so we know that a friendly "How is your day going?" can make someone’s day,’ they added.

The spokesperson expressed: ‘We also know that whether it’s a parent trying to juggle their children and their groceries, or an elderly customer who needs a helping hand with their items, the support of our team at the checkouts is a huge help to our community.’

Research by consumer group Canstar Blue found opinions amongst shoppers are polarised about the technology—41 per cent prefer staffed checkouts, while 34 per cent opt for self-serve.

Canstar Blue Editor-in-Chief Christine Seib stated: ‘While shoppers have some understandable objections to self-serve checkouts—ranging from the impact on jobs to the principle of paying higher grocery prices while also taking on the task of checking-out their shopping—the fact that a third of shoppers would rather use a self-serve checkout means rolling back their use would likely upset a big group of shoppers.’

Some experts argue supermarkets still need a mix of options. 'There will always be consumers who want a personalised experience and prefer social interaction while others just want to dash in and out,' said Retail Expert Professor Gary Mortimer.

So, while overseas retailers may be ripping out their self-checkouts, don’t expect our big Aussie supermarkets to do follow any time soon.

Key Takeaways

• Self-serve checkouts are here to stay in Australian supermarkets, despite some overseas chains, like Booths in the UK and Costco in the US, removing them due to customer feedback.
  • IGA is one chain favouring personalised service over self-serve checkouts, while major supermarkets Coles, Woolworths, ALDI and Costco Australia have no plans to scrap self-serve options.
  • A Canstar Blue survey found that Australian shoppers are divided on self-serve registers, with 41 per cent preferring to be served at the check-out and 34 per cent finding it quicker and more convenient to do it themselves.
  • Experts believe Australian supermarkets are unlikely to follow the lead of overseas chains, and retailers need a combination of self-serve and staffed checkouts to meet customer demand.

What’s your take on the supermarkets’ stance on self-serve checkouts, members? Let us know in the comments below!
Went to Coles Markettown yesterday to the Express Checkout (12 items or less) and found a woman in front of me with 50+ items and still more in her trolley. Her items filled the conveyor belt. Went to the self service (cash or card) -1 only - and waited behind a woman with $66.40 of items. She fed $100 into the dispenser and only received a few coins back. She had to wait, along with myself and several others, while the staff had to go and get a supervisor with keys to open the dispenser to get her $30 back. Then I scanned my 1 item for $14.40 and fed $15 into the dispenser and only got 40 cents change. I was going to leave it, but it was the principle of the thing, so I waited for the staff to go off to get the supervisor again. Why Coles can't employ a few 15yr olds to improve their efficiency, and why they continue to treat customers with disrespect, and insist on forcing faulty technology on us is beyond a joke. I've shopped at Coles for the last time. It's no wonder Woollies across the road have hordes of customers and their checkouts, including the 3 staffed express ones, are much more efficient. (Richard - Newcastle)

View attachment 35205

Woolworths​

Coles​

ALDI​

View attachment 35206

Costco​

IGA​

Key Takeaways

There are people who would be happy to go back to the '50's, chasing butchers, green grocers, chemists and bakeries, all over the place. I would much prefer a Supermarket, got everything I need, attendants if I'm stuck and self service to speed up the process. If you can manage a flatpack or two through Ikea, you can do Self service, it's not hard.

Once upon a time a long time ago I used to go to the supermarket OR the local grocer , butcher etc and was served by a human being. Then, Dear Children of the modern digital age, the supermarket chains gained permission for open-slather trading on weekends as well as during the week and the local butcher and grocer had to shut up shop as people all went to the supermarket whenever they fancied. However, the supermarkets still had check-out chicks on all cash registers and also employed a bagger-chick to help fill your bags (we used real money to pay for our purchases in those days). Then the bagger-chicks became no longer and the check-out chick had to fill your bag, or you did it yourself. This saved the supermarket chains money and so prices rose, but not that much.

Then in their financial wisdom, the supermarkets brought in do-it-yourself tellers and number of check-out chicks diminished as the novelty of such machines led people to think that they would get served by themselves more quickly than standing in line for service by the remaining check-out chick.

And lo! Profits increased at the expense of our time standing in line to work a machine, with one-harassed staff member whose duty it is to keep calm while dealing with the problems that machines always cause for we mere mortals. And prices have risen beyond the present inflation rate.

And there, Dear Children of the digital age, will I end this tale harking back to the 1980s before plastic cards and the developing digital revolution that is far more dangerous to many aspects of your lives than you realise.

Last edited:
Self serve or manned checkouts, people will always complain about them or lack thereof. Personally I will NEVER use them. If the store wants me to scan and pack my own shopping instead of them paying staff to do it for me, then I want a staff discount thanks
Did you want someone to push your trolley too

If I can be in and out in 5 minutes using self serve rather than wait 15 minutes at a manned checkout then its self serve for me. My time is precious to me, if there is not a long line and manned checkouts then I will use it

There are people who would be happy to go back to the '50's, chasing butchers, green grocers, chemists and bakeries, all over the place. I would much prefer a Supermarket, got everything I need, attendants if I'm stuck and self service to speed up the process. If you can manage a flatpack or two through Ikea, you can do Self service, it's not hard.
And how far do you drive in your gas-guzzling SUV to get to a supermarket/Ikea? I used to walk 10 minutes, or ride my bicycle for 5 minutes to the local shops ,employing families, to buy my bread, meat, vegies and ironmongery. And in those days once the shop-owners had go to know you, one could pay by bank-cheque; or the butcher, grocer and baker would arrange free delivery according to one's weekly order book. Sort of like the doctor paying home visits to check on patients and the milkman in an EV delivering to your door milk (from a central dairy) with the cream on top in recycled glass milk-bottles. A much more efficient and friendly non-tetrapak world than the one we live in now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mina vriesekolk
I do the self check out at the local Woolworths when I have only a few items , but last Friday I was @ Bunnings and had a whole lot of items and there was no assisted check out open at all . This mature Bunnings employee was watching past the check outs . I did the right thing and everything I scanned moved from the top basket to the bottom part of the trolley and then I wanted to pay and this employee came to my trolley and tried to scan my pot with sealant which I had already done and asked her what she was doing . And I asked her if she wanted me to pay twice for the sealant , the pot was $ 80.- . I told her I scanned it already and it even showed up on the screen with a picture of it as well. She walked away and no apology what’s so ever , I think that was rather rude . Thankfully I was on the ball.

• Angry
Reactions: Chicky
How many of our members are old enough to remember the transition from served to self serve fuel at :service" stations? I do and the promise made by Shell for one company at the time was that their fuel would always be at least 2cents a litre cheaper with self serve. HA! that last all of about 6 months as the others all jumped on the bandwagon!

Reactions: Chicky

View attachment 35205

Woolworths​

Coles​

ALDI​

View attachment 35206

Costco​

IGA​

Key Takeaways

I prefer to to be served by a person, plus I don't work there and to me there is no benefit for me to use the self-checkout.

How did I miss the usual SDC anti self check out rant and all the sheep agreeing with their usual silly comments? "I dont work there". "I'm helping keep their staff" etc etc:rolleyes:

I use self serve in all shops whenever possible. Much easier doing it myself. Just pay, by card, for the shopping, put it back in the trolley and wheel it to my car boot. Absolutely no reason to stay in a queue with people with full trollies, especially this time of year.

Was in KMart the other day. Just went striaght to the card only self serve while other people were waiting around for a cashier. Done all my goods in a minute and went leaving them all behind. The woman at the exit scanned my receipt barcode and that was it.
My local Aldi is the best for self serve now. Theyve made a bigger space to put everything after its scanned. I can do a loaded small trolley with no problem. However, I did have a problem with it the other day. Something never scanned and I had to wait a whole 30 seconds for someone to flash their card at it to sort it out!!!!!:oops:

I'm still waiting for my local Woolworths to have Scan&Go, so I can scan everything while I shop and just pay at the end without taking anything out of the trolley and putting it all back in again.

I assume everyone on here never buys their own petrol? If they do, how on earth do you manage with such a difficult task of taking the petrol nozzle out of the machine, putting it in the filler tank and filling up the petrol all by yourself, then putting it pack again and going to pay? Do you ask the cashier for a discount as you had to do it yourself?

👇Seems like this is what people prefer for some reason? No self serve checkouts to be seen in those days!!!

Attachments

• supermarket queue.jpg
    supermarket queue.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0

View attachment 35205

Woolworths​

Coles​

ALDI​

View attachment 35206

Costco​

IGA​

Key Takeaways

The reason for Self Service Checkouts being popular for speed and convenience is that they no longer open up maned checkouts or only a couple so it creates long queues and people get fed up and have to go through self serve.

View attachment 35205

Woolworths​

Coles​

ALDI​

View attachment 35206

Costco​

IGA​

Key Takeaways

View attachment 35205

Woolworths​

Coles​

ALDI​

View attachment 35206

Costco​

IGA​

Key Takeaways

Coles stated that 2 thirds of customers use self serve checkouts. But .aybe 2 thirds of customers have no choice because there is only one checkout opened for service. All other staff members are stocking shelves and cluttering the aisles making shopping very challenging. Bring back customer service please.

Reactions: magpie1
How did I miss the usual SDC anti self check out rant and all the sheep agreeing with their usual silly comments? "I dont work there". "I'm helping keep their staff" etc etc:rolleyes:

I use self serve in all shops whenever possible. Much easier doing it myself. Just pay, by card, for the shopping, put it back in the trolley and wheel it to my car boot. Absolutely no reason to stay in a queue with people with full trollies, especially this time of year.

Was in KMart the other day. Just went striaght to the card only self serve while other people were waiting around for a cashier. Done all my goods in a minute and went leaving them all behind. The woman at the exit scanned my receipt barcode and that was it.
My local Aldi is the best for self serve now. Theyve made a bigger space to put everything after its scanned. I can do a loaded small trolley with no problem. However, I did have a problem with it the other day. Something never scanned and I had to wait a whole 30 seconds for someone to flash their card at it to sort it out!!!!!:oops:

I'm still waiting for my local Woolworths to have Scan&Go, so I can scan everything while I shop and just pay at the end without taking anything out of the trolley and putting it all back in again.

I assume everyone on here never buys their own petrol? If they do, how on earth do you manage with such a difficult task of taking the petrol nozzle out of the machine, putting it in the filler tank and filling up the petrol all by yourself, then putting it pack again and going to pay? Do you ask the cashier for a discount as you had to do it yourself?

👇Seems like this is what people prefer for some reason? No self serve checkouts to be seen in those days!!!
There are many shoppers in the community that go to these Supermarkets every week and do their family shop for everything that they require. They spend a whole lot of their money doing this and generally end up with a very big trolley load of food and other items. They are willing to stand in line at a MANNED checkout to have their goods scanned by a friendly cashier and to pay them accordingly.....now that is CUSTOMER SERVICE from the store......which many shoppers EXPECT to get, and rightly DESERVE after spending so much money, or at times a little less, at the Supermarket. Self serve is far easier and quicker for some with fewer items.....that is a CONVENIENCE for the shopper, as opposed to PERSONAL SERVICE from the Supermarket. These days the Supermarkets are letting their shoppers down with the severe LACK of CUSTOMER SERVICE.....and it needs to be improved forthwith. 😡

Prior to increasing disability preventing me from being employed, one of my many jobs was as a 'checkout chick'. However these days self-checkouts are a nightmare to me, I simply am not able to use them. As most times I shop after midnight too (my local Coles is open 24hours) it means there are NO assisted checkouts available, they are all closed by 9pm! So I have to wait whilst the security summons one of the staff to come and help me checkout. No, shopping earlier isn't an option for me as I dislike having children playing chasey through the aisles dart out from behind displays etc and into my mobility scooter, causing the angry parents to blame me for going too fast, instead of controlling their children! So shopping after midnight largely eliminates that problem.

Reactions: Leodalion63
Prior to increasing disability preventing me from being employed, one of my many jobs was as a 'checkout chick'. However these days self-checkouts are a nightmare to me, I simply am not able to use them. As most times I shop after midnight too (my local Coles is open 24hours) it means there are NO assisted checkouts available, they are all closed by 9pm! So I have to wait whilst the security summons one of the staff to come and help me checkout. No, shopping earlier isn't an option for me as I dislike having children playing chasey through the aisles dart out from behind displays etc and into my mobility scooter, causing the angry parents to blame me for going too fast, instead of controlling their children! So shopping after midnight largely eliminates that problem.
Hi Margaret 9, sorry to hear of your disability and the inconvenience it causes you with your shopping arrangements....just wondering have you thought about using My Home Care services in order to perhaps helping you out with your shopping...for rather minimal cost you can arrange for them to do your shopping for you if you are interested in that sort of help. You will find out all about them on the internet @My Home Care. Take care.

Hi Margaret 9, sorry to hear of your disability and the inconvenience it causes you with your shopping arrangements....just wondering have you thought about using My Home Care services in order to perhaps helping you out with your shopping...for rather minimal cost you can arrange for them to do your shopping for you if you are interested in that sort of help. You will find out all about them on the internet @My Home Care. Take care.
Thankyou magpie1 YES I have looked into Home Care services and used them ONCE, however they never seemed to bother to look at or understand the ingredients lists on products and bought products that were unusable by me. Plus they were all far outside of my budget as I rely solely on a single Aged Pension and have to pay rent, essential medications etc which leaves my shopping budget at less than $20 a week most times....thank you again for your suggestion though.

Hello marģaret 9, I understand the time line of going shopping. I find for myself around between 6pm - 7 pm that Aldi has a lot less people at that time. No children running around. Boy do I know when it's the school holidays. I find out when I get inside the shopping centre. thats why I switch to 6- 7 pm. I don't like crowds. Too much noise.
I always take my hearing aids out befor I walk inside a shopping crntre. Makes my life so much better. It's such a shame thàt the service you required in helping with your shopping let you down. In Victoria I do see helpers with the older generation help with their shopping. As Magpie 1 suggested My home care, I am wondering if that is from your local council. If not they may be able to help. There has to be something out there to help our generation. I really hope you find the help you need.
Thankyou magpie1 YES I have looked into Home Care services and used them ONCE, however they never seemed to bother to look at or understand the ingredients lists on products and bought products that were unusable by me. Plus they were all far outside of my budget as I rely solely on a single Aged Pension and have to pay rent, essential medications etc which leaves my shopping budget at less than $20 a week most times....thank you again for your suggestion though.

Hello marģaret 9, I understand the time line of going shopping. I find for myself around between 6pm - 7 pm that Aldi has a lot less people at that time. No children running around. Boy do I know when it's the school holidays. I find out when I get inside the shopping centre. thats why I switch to 6- 7 pm. I don't like crowds. Too much noise.
I always take my hearing aids out befor I walk inside a shopping crntre. Makes my life so much better. It's such a shame thàt the service you required in helping with your shopping let you down. In Victoria I do see helpers with the older generation help with their shopping. As Magpie 1 suggested My home care, I am wondering if that is from your local council. If not they may be able to help. There has to be something out there to help our generation. I really hope you find the help you need.
Also Margaret I forgot to mention, my son has caught covid a time or 2, when I go shopping for him I always tell him to send me pictures of food he wants me to buy. First time I shopped for him, it was what I would get for myself. He complained, I told him in future shops send me pictures. Made it so much easier, I am happy I get what he needs, my son is happier in that he gets what he want. Easy Peasy. Maýbe if you do find the help you need, maybe taking pictures might be the thing with help of course. That way it would be in your price range as well. Take care

Reactions: Ezzy