Coles trolley collector's questionable act sparks heated street showdown

Everyone likes walking around clean cities and parks. But it seems not everyone wants to do their part in keeping Australia clean.

Allegedly, this was the case for one trolley collector who was caught by a passing motorist.

Some of us know that feeling – you’re driving down the street, minding your own business, when you see something happening that just doesn’t seem right. Well for one motorist, the answer was simple: try to fix the problem.

In a series of videos shared on Facebook, dashcam footage coming from a passing motorist reveals a Coles supermarket trolley collector dumping rubbish from an empty trolley down a drain.

cart1.jpg
Abandoned trolleys are an ongoing problem in Australia. Credit: Ellie Burgin in Pexels

In one of the clips taken from a distance, the Coles worker can be seen calmly collecting a trolley from the side of the road.

However, the motorist claims that from his dashcam footage (which was taken from his vehicle), you can see the driver emptying rubbish from the discarded trolley into a drain, before placing the trolley into the back of his truck and trailer.

The motorist even shared a photo he took which shows four empty cups and an empty bottle in the drain. He claims that they were allegedly dumped from the trolley by the collector.

cart3.jpg
The rubbish can be seen blocking the drainage. Credit: Facebook

In a separate video, the motorist revealed that he filmed himself while confronting the Coles trolley collector over the incident. The worker denied doing anything wrong – which resulted in a heated debate in the middle of the road.

The driver denies the allegation and claims that the rubbish was already in the drain next to the abandoned trolley when he got there.

He also told the motorist that he has a bin inside his truck, which he uses for litter he finds in trolleys.

An edited transcript provided by a news outlet shows the conversation between the motorist and the trolley collector:

Motorist: ‘Are you going to pick up the rubbish, mate?’

Coles driver: ‘How come?’

Motorist: ‘Why did you put it in the drain?’

Coles driver: ‘I didn’t.’

Motorist: ‘Yeah you did, I saw you.’

Coles driver: ‘From the trolley? It was already outside.’

Motorist: ‘So don’t let it fall in the drain. Why didn’t you take it with you?’

Coles driver: ‘Somebody already threw it down.’

Motorist: ‘Your job is to take the rubbish in the trolley and take it back.’

Coles driver: ‘No, no, no. Not my job.’

Motorist: ‘Not your job .... so, you’re going to let it go in the drain? I saw you dump it.’

Coles driver: ‘I’m not going to collect it from the ground.’

Motorist: ‘It was in the trolley, mate.’

Motorist: ‘Why don’t you do the right thing and let it not go in the drain?’

Coles driver: ‘I always check, there’s a bin in my truck. If I saw something, I put it in my truck.’

A spokesperson for Coles reassured everyone that they are investigating the incident.

‘Our training guides provide directions on the correct disposal of rubbish and we provide bins on the side of our vehicles for our team members to use when they are collecting trolleys off-site,’ they said.

‘Coles is committed to respecting and supporting the communities we serve.’
Key Takeaways

• A Coles trolley collector has been caught by a passing motorist allegedly dumping rubbish from a discarded trolley into a drain.
  • The motorist, who filmed the incident, confronted the Coles driver over the incident, sparking a heated street confrontation.
  • A Coles spokesperson has said that they are investigating the incident.
What are your thoughts about this, members? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
Everyone likes walking around clean cities and parks. But it seems not everyone wants to do their part in keeping Australia clean.

Allegedly, this was the case for one trolley collector who was caught by a passing motorist.

Some of us know that feeling – you’re driving down the street, minding your own business, when you see something happening that just doesn’t seem right. Well for one motorist, the answer was simple: try to fix the problem.

In a series of videos shared on Facebook, dashcam footage coming from a passing motorist reveals a Coles supermarket trolley collector dumping rubbish from an empty trolley down a drain.

View attachment 9165
Abandoned trolleys are an ongoing problem in Australia. Credit: Ellie Burgin in Pexels

In one of the clips taken from a distance, the Coles worker can be seen calmly collecting a trolley from the side of the road.

However, the motorist claims that from his dashcam footage (which was taken from his vehicle), you can see the driver emptying rubbish from the discarded trolley into a drain, before placing the trolley into the back of his truck and trailer.

The motorist even shared a photo he took which shows four empty cups and an empty bottle in the drain. He claims that they were allegedly dumped from the trolley by the collector.

View attachment 9166

In a separate video, the motorist revealed that he filmed himself while confronting the Coles trolley collector over the incident. The worker denied doing anything wrong – which resulted in a heated debate in the middle of the road.

The driver denies the allegation and claims that the rubbish was already in the drain next to the abandoned trolley when he got there.

He also told the motorist that he has a bin inside his truck, which he uses for litter he finds in trolleys.

An edited transcript provided by a news outlet shows the conversation between the motorist and the trolley collector:

Motorist: ‘Not your job .... so, you’re going to let it go in the drain? I saw you dump it.’

Coles driver: ‘I always check, there’s a bin in my truck. If I saw something, I put it in my truck.’

A spokesperson for Coles reassured everyone that they are investigating the incident.

‘Our training guides provide directions on the correct disposal of rubbish and we provide bins on the side of our vehicles for our team members to use when they are collecting trolleys off-site,’ they said.

Key Takeaways

• A Coles trolley collector has been caught by a passing motorist allegedly dumping rubbish from a discarded trolley into a drain.
  • The motorist, who filmed the incident, confronted the Coles driver over the incident, sparking a heated street confrontation.
Problem solved if people stopped stealing and dumping trolleys.

View attachment 9165

View attachment 9166

Key Takeaways

Brilliant, that the motorist was so concerned. I'm sure he would have picked up the rubbish and solved the environmental problem.

Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci
we dont see many Aldi trolleys around the streets now do we.... Maybe what they do would be good for all others to take note of and implement same scenario to their trolleys.... oh Hang on would that be to simple...
We had coin operated trollies where I used to work and so many customers complained, we eventually had to unlock them all. It's not the customers doing the right thing that causes this problem. Those who do this will always do this.

I recently saw a Coles trolley collector take rubbish out of their trolley and throw it on the ground. He then proceeded to hack up and spit!!!! Yuck!!!! Coles needs to check their staff.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci and Jennie

View attachment 9165

View attachment 9166

Key Takeaways

Why didn't the Coles guy just pick it up and get on with life you can't put brains in a statue.

Well done to the guy who confronted the trolley guy then reported it to coles.

They do need to fix the trolley problem in the streets why not add a security device that stops the wheels from working once it is say 500 metres from the supermarket.

I think the rubbish is added to the trolley after it is left.

Problem solved if people stopped stealing and dumping trolleys.
I agree Joan the people taking trolleys out f the carpark and then to home before dumping them in the streets etc are STEALING and Littering. I always thought both were criminal offences. Here in our suburb they walk right past the police station but that does not stop them

Reactions: joan brookes

View attachment 9165

View attachment 9166

Key Takeaways

is there actually a film showing the collector dumping the rubbish or is just what the driver thought what he saw

we dont see many Aldi trolleys around the streets now do we.... Maybe what they do would be good for all others to take note of and implement same scenario to their trolleys.... oh Hang on would that be to simple...
Was that just a hint of sarcasm I read

Reactions: joan brookes