Coles supermarket addresses ‘terrible’ experience at a self-serve checkout

Most major supermarkets launched self-serve checkouts in their stores for added convenience. However, one disgruntled dad begged to differ after having a ‘terrible’ experience with the feature at his local Coles store.

Sharing his frustration on Twitter, the Perth shopper said that he was disappointed to discover that no manned checkouts were open to customers as he was about to purchase a week’s worth of groceries which cost him just under $350.

This left the dad with no choice but to manually scan the trolley packed with items at a self-serve checkout while simultaneously trying to look after his child.

In his post, the shopper deemed his experience, which happened on the evening of July 18, ‘terrible’.

PXYSvZNaHaLnsF7E1a2xcO8g25ThRZ-onbX38-W8eyKuwGHV-KT6HPbpj4kOg7UaTEZjAXvsrQIfS_vtyZrPAyZkxlq2j9KQOmSRgQWbO11NYWkSsrXVhGgGRLy-3bWiLIuB5GVp43RXrMGTIo-_F0s

A self-serve checkout in Coles. Source: NBN News

‘We just moved here. It’s our first shop for our new home,’ he wrote.

‘But there were no manned tills, so I asked why. I was told ‘not my idea’ and to scan $350 worth of groceries myself (with a child) while being laughed at.’

The customer included a picture of his grocery receipt, along with a handwritten note that read: ‘Tell Coles.’

In a separate tweet, he added: ‘If that’s how Coles treats new families, we won’t be back.’

Source: @monosylabik_

Several users sided with the dad, slamming Coles after finding out about his horrible shopping experience.

'This is f***ed…' one user wrote.

‘There is only a small percentage of shoppers that are in favour of self-serve checkouts. The reason there is more demand for it is because you close all the manned counters and force people to use self-serve checkouts, which is horrible.’ the user continued.

'I also had this experience. As long as the store is open, there should always be at least one manned till!’ pointed out another.

A third sneered: ‘The next thing they'll be asking is for customers heading that way to take a mop and clean up the spill in aisle 5.’

The incident caught the attention of the supermarket giant, prompting a spokesperson to address the situation.

'At Coles we want every customer interaction with our team members to be safe, quick, and friendly,' the spokesperson said.

'In the past two years, Coles has seen a demand for self-checkout technologies accelerate. We are investing heavily into this service and are rolling out a range of new options to help customers check out more quickly, including our popular belted self-checkouts and packing benches.

'These are being installed nationally as part of our refurbishment program and were recently installed at our Warwick Grove store in WA.

CBQ6gHFD932TrR_BLp7cI3RqyB1GmZl6aqK_guhd3YHESqET9bPtQJb3owWEEegWfhFcUpfQKGgxJmOxFK3A-Eq05kUBNbU7SSddgmEU_MbZF3Egr6ZvcznQ68TYeqgI3PgcF6RBqav2yOCMVerSLFw

Self-serve checkouts with belted lanes. Source: Yahoo! News NZ

'The new format combines two experiences that customers are already familiar with – belted lanes where customers are served by team members and our existing self-checkouts.

'On the self-service trolley checkout, customers are able to scan their purchases more easily when they have a trolley or a bigger basket and pack their bags the way they like.

'Customers who would still like to be served on a traditional checkout can ask a team member to assist if they wish.’

The spokesperson went on to admit that the customer’s needs were not met in this particular case, saying: ‘In this instance, we acknowledge that we could’ve worked harder to ensure the customer had a better shopping experience and we will take this opportunity to speak to the store team members to ensure that they continue to support customers however they choose to shop.'

What are your thoughts on this shopper’s experience with self-serve checkouts? Are you in favour of the feature? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Most major supermarkets launched self-serve checkouts in their stores for added convenience. However, one disgruntled dad begged to differ after having a ‘terrible’ experience with the feature at his local Coles store.

Sharing his frustration on Twitter, the Perth shopper said that he was disappointed to discover that no manned checkouts were open to customers as he was about to purchase a week’s worth of groceries which cost him just under $350.

This left the dad with no choice but to manually scan the trolley packed with items at a self-serve checkout while simultaneously trying to look after his child.

In his post, the shopper deemed his experience, which happened on the evening of July 18, ‘terrible’.

PXYSvZNaHaLnsF7E1a2xcO8g25ThRZ-onbX38-W8eyKuwGHV-KT6HPbpj4kOg7UaTEZjAXvsrQIfS_vtyZrPAyZkxlq2j9KQOmSRgQWbO11NYWkSsrXVhGgGRLy-3bWiLIuB5GVp43RXrMGTIo-_F0s

‘But there were no manned tills, so I asked why. I was told ‘not my idea’ and to scan $350 worth of groceries myself (with a child) while being laughed at.’

The customer included a picture of his grocery receipt, along with a handwritten note that read: ‘Tell Coles.’

In a separate tweet, he added: ‘If that’s how Coles treats new families, we won’t be back.’

Several users sided with the dad, slamming Coles after finding out about his horrible shopping experience.

‘There is only a small percentage of shoppers that are in favour of self-serve checkouts. The reason there is more demand for it is because you close all the manned counters and force people to use self-serve checkouts, which is horrible.’ the user continued.

'I also had this experience. As long as the store is open, there should always be at least one manned till!’ pointed out another.

A third sneered: ‘The next thing they'll be asking is for customers heading that way to take a mop and clean up the spill in aisle 5.’

The incident caught the attention of the supermarket giant, prompting a spokesperson to address the situation.

'At Coles we want every customer interaction with our team members to be safe, quick, and friendly,' the spokesperson said.

'In the past two years, Coles has seen a demand for self-checkout technologies accelerate. We are investing heavily into this service and are rolling out a range of new options to help customers check out more quickly, including our popular belted self-checkouts and packing benches.

'These are being installed nationally as part of our refurbishment program and were recently installed at our Warwick Grove store in WA.

CBQ6gHFD932TrR_BLp7cI3RqyB1GmZl6aqK_guhd3YHESqET9bPtQJb3owWEEegWfhFcUpfQKGgxJmOxFK3A-Eq05kUBNbU7SSddgmEU_MbZF3Egr6ZvcznQ68TYeqgI3PgcF6RBqav2yOCMVerSLFw

'The new format combines two experiences that customers are already familiar with – belted lanes where customers are served by team members and our existing self-checkouts.

'On the self-service trolley checkout, customers are able to scan their purchases more easily when they have a trolley or a bigger basket and pack their bags the way they like.

'Customers who would still like to be served on a traditional checkout can ask a team member to assist if they wish.’

The spokesperson went on to admit that the customer’s needs were not met in this particular case, saying: ‘In this instance, we acknowledge that we could’ve worked harder to ensure the customer had a better shopping experience and we will take this opportunity to speak to the store team members to ensure that they continue to support customers however they choose to shop.'

What are your thoughts on this shopper’s experience with self-serve checkouts? Are you in favour of the feature? Let us know in the comments below!

It is the same at Woolworths. One manned checkout forcing customers to self serve check outs. However, if I have a very big fortnightly shop, I want to use a manned check out! Most staff are running around aisles completing online orders or click & collect orders. When the queue at the single manned checkout gets to at least six waiting, a manager may open a second one! I am not going to be forced into using online shopping. This profits the business NOT me! We need to see a return to considered customer service!

Reactions: Ezzy and elaine41

I think its disgusting

I think its disgusting that prices keep hiking, especially for people with food allergies, and then we have to scan and pack...when that happens here, I'll be going to markets, butchers and Vege shops. All my special dairy products i can buy online. Ive tried the self service a couple of times and end up telling the machine to hang on and stop bloody nagging...I hate it, makes me anxious, and refuse to use them. Ive stood in line waiting and been pointed to self serve, they say " its alright, we'll help you"...I reply, " no, I don't work here, I'll wait to be served ".

Reactions: Ezzy
I've not had too many issues with the newer belted self serve checkouts as they give you plenty of space and are at a decent height - the ones many stores have been using over the years are never big enough to put a reasonable shop on the "place" they insist you put them to control the weight of the item scanned and also do not understand why these places are so low - they are suitable for children and not adults, especially not adults with back problems. There is also never enough space around these to access your trolley and the scanner etc without twisting your body which only works well for the able bodied. I welcome the newer style type but agree there should be a proportionate amount of manned tills open for those who need assistance and not force everybody onto self service mode. There are still many times when assistants are needed and they are rarely handy or available when you do need one.
I often wonder if these inventions are ever tried by the 'experts' who design them. In this situation get your mum or grandma to try these self serves. I suppose a bit like try before you buy?

I was once on a job when a van full of architects from Head office rolled up. The Supervisor said to the young crew with him, 'Now get down there & see what you are drawing.' Ascending 3 metres into the concrete cellar of a Pump Station was possibly quite daunting for these young fellas, but they were able to see first hand what they had drawn.

I think its disgusting

I think its disgusting that prices keep hiking, especially for people with food allergies, and then we have to scan and pack...when that happens here, I'll be going to markets, butchers and Vege shops. All my special dairy products i can buy online. Ive tried the self service a couple of times and end up telling the machine to hang on and stop bloody nagging...I hate it, makes me anxious, and refuse to use them. Ive stood in line waiting and been pointed to self serve, they say " its alright, we'll help you"...I reply, " no, I don't work here, I'll wait to be served ".
here here i am the same i go to a store to buy .things and then i like to say helo to a human till opperator not a bloody machine ,,,,,i will not go through any form of self serve checkouts ...and i have on a number of times stood in an unperson checkout and asked for service ,,,and when told no service i have left my trolly and walked out ,,,,this needs to be done by others as well

Definitely not in favour of self-checkouts as the prices already include a percentage for a team member to be at the checkouts for service. They only benefit the bosses of the store and above.
If they want people to use them, they to need to provide 10% discount to those that use them.

here here i am the same i go to a store to buy .things and then i like to say helo to a human till opperator not a bloody machine ,,,,,i will not go through any form of self serve checkouts ...and i have on a number of times stood in an unperson checkout and asked for service ,,,and when told no service i have left my trolly and walked out ,,,,this needs to be done by others as well
You got my vote.

Reactions: elaine41
Definitely not in favour of self-checkouts as the prices already include a percentage for a team member to be at the checkouts for service. They only benefit the bosses of the store and above.
If they want people to use them, they to need to provide 10% discount to those that use them.
Good point l think.

And stop charging for their bags we are being robbed all over the place with these stupid self serve we have to checkout out own goods we are buying buy a bag if we forget the ones we have already bought and be embarrassed at the door going out to show your docket as thiugh your argued I have the rotten things and like I said we are paying for them in so many ways and they are no quicker than the checkouts