Coles slammed online for "racist" aisle sign – but is it really?

A Coles branch recently caused a stir amongst users online after a photo of one of the store's aisle signs was called out for being "racist".

Sharing on the forum site Reddit, one user uploaded a photo showing the supermarket in Melbourne categorising Asian food along with cat and dog food, which has triggered many users.

The controversial sign hung in front of aisle 10 reads: “Cat food, Dog food, Asian.”

Several users on the site called it "racist", reasoning that the store placed edible Asian items among other items that are unfit-for-human-consumption, such as dog and cat food.

IuRfJIJGtnWXNHpC5Stk0SRW-nnq-YeLdFcmtXiCWiL7U_13ZYI6iisHzxYljhkM-WuQbU6MSg3mns290R6gjFkmfZjGVuH83umraf3tIYX9GPipNzW23XrghdYKOX-9mFH9MIaM

A Coles supermarket was recently under fire for placing Asian food items together with pet food in a store aisle. Credit: Reddit.

Several Reddit users were baffled by the signage with one person asking, “How are these even related?”

"Three-quarters of the supermarkets I’ve been in have the same layout…" added another.

Meanwhile, other shoppers also noticed that the adjacent aisle also had a bizarre combination. Rice and other grain products were lumped in among cleaning products such as dishwashing soaps and air fresheners.

"Yup that's offensive. Seriously, why the rice is shelved along with cleaning products is beyond me," said another user (sarcastically, we think).

However, many users also pointed out that there was an entirely different reason for the rather "strange" aisle combination.

The Coles store in Melbourne might have been undergoing some sort of work, which required them to temporarily move some of the stock.

"Are they in the process of rearranging the store? My local Woolies is being updated and has a few wacky aisle combos at the moment," suggested one user.

Another agreed that it might just be an unfortunate case of oversight on the part of the supermarket. "Seems like the part of the store where they have rice and Asian food together is out of commission or being renovated," he said.

A spokesperson for Coles has also issued a statement regarding the incident.

'While the signage appears to show pet food and Asian food located next to each other, they are actually in very separate sections," they said.

"While we would typically aim to ensure special ranges, such as Asian or other international foods, are located within the grocery section. In some smaller stores or where aisles are split, they may be found in a different area."

"We'll review our in-store signage and look for other ways to make it easy for customers to navigate our stores and find the products they are looking for."

The spokesperson also reminded shoppers that the supermarket has over 800 branches across Australia, and the store layout differs on a store-by-store basis.

Sponsored

A Coles branch recently caused a stir amongst users online after a photo of one of the store's aisle signs was called out for being "racist".

Sharing on the forum site Reddit, one user uploaded a photo showing the supermarket in Melbourne categorising Asian food along with cat and dog food, which has triggered many users.

The controversial sign hung in front of aisle 10 reads: “Cat food, Dog food, Asian.”

Several users on the site called it "racist", reasoning that the store placed edible Asian items among other items that are unfit-for-human-consumption, such as dog and cat food.

IuRfJIJGtnWXNHpC5Stk0SRW-nnq-YeLdFcmtXiCWiL7U_13ZYI6iisHzxYljhkM-WuQbU6MSg3mns290R6gjFkmfZjGVuH83umraf3tIYX9GPipNzW23XrghdYKOX-9mFH9MIaM

A Coles supermarket was recently under fire for placing Asian food items together with pet food in a store aisle. Credit: Reddit.

Several Reddit users were baffled by the signage with one person asking, “How are these even related?”

"Three-quarters of the supermarkets I’ve been in have the same layout…" added another.

Meanwhile, other shoppers also noticed that the adjacent aisle also had a bizarre combination. Rice and other grain products were lumped in among cleaning products such as dishwashing soaps and air fresheners.

"Yup that's offensive. Seriously, why the rice is shelved along with cleaning products is beyond me," said another user (sarcastically, we think).

However, many users also pointed out that there was an entirely different reason for the rather "strange" aisle combination.

The Coles store in Melbourne might have been undergoing some sort of work, which required them to temporarily move some of the stock.

"Are they in the process of rearranging the store? My local Woolies is being updated and has a few wacky aisle combos at the moment," suggested one user.

Another agreed that it might just be an unfortunate case of oversight on the part of the supermarket. "Seems like the part of the store where they have rice and Asian food together is out of commission or being renovated," he said.

'While the signage appears to show pet food and Asian food located next to each other, they are actually in very separate sections," they said.

"While we would typically aim to ensure special ranges, such as Asian or other international foods, are located within the grocery section. In some smaller stores or where aisles are split, they may be found in a different area."

"We'll review our in-store signage and look for other ways to make it easy for customers to navigate our stores and find the products they are looking for."

The spokesperson also reminded shoppers that the supermarket has over 800 branches across Australia, and the store layout differs on a store-by-store basis.
Come on people grow up, it doesn’t matter what is on a sign in a supermarket, this is exactly why we are where we are today with people making a big deal out of things that just don’t rate a mention. Get on with your lives you only get one.

I do understand that not everyone sees the world through my rose-tinted spectacles, but if/when something offends you, deal with the originator of the offence directly and do not immediately broadcast the matter to the world at large!

I do understand that not everyone sees the world through my rose-tinted spectacles, but if/when something offends you, deal with the originator of the offence directly and do not immediately broadcast the matter to the world at large!
The person who was offended by the signage must live a very boring life. cCome on, lets focus on the more important things in life. Life is too short to be giving mention to such trivial matters. and on that note, I will make no further comment.

This is yet another example of people seeing racism where there is none. Do those complaining really believe that Coles made a conscious decision to target Asian people in an offensive manner? If they do, it shows that they are the true racists. Those finding racism, sexism etc around every corner demonstrate that they have placed society in boxes according to race, sex, age etc. Just stop it before we end up like America!

My first thought, how handy, saves you wandering aimlessly looking for stuff. I had several other thoughts before I came to anything even remotely racist. Maybe if you are looking for this stuff (racism) you will see it in all sorts of innocent places. if you're not, you won't.;)

Ah, the "Outraged Brigade" at it again, getting outraged at what, at worst, should be the nothing more than the butt of some puerile schoolboy jokes ....... Good for those who responded in a positive manner towards the organisation

It seems unusual to have Asian food in the same aisle as dog food, but it's hardly 'racist'. People need to stop being so precious over political correctness which in this case is nothing and get on with their lives.

Come on people grow up, it doesn’t matter what is on a sign in a supermarket, this is exactly why we are where we are today with people making a big deal out of things that just don’t rate a mention. Get on with your lives you only get one.
I totally and absolutely agree with you Yubjuk. So many people just look for something to whinge or cry foul about. Get over yourselves and leave racism out of it.....that just encourages others to follow suit.

Reactions: Ricci
While we are at it let's not offend the cat and dog owners by placing their food with the cleaning products. Let's sell spiced fruit buns or any other variety they invent this year until Easter week then put a cross on them and rename before I am truly offended now if I can just get my tongue out of my cheek I will go shopping!

• Haha
Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
Unbelievable!! Be grateful they actually do put a sign up for "Asian". You don't see one for "French", "German" or "Italian" for example. Little people with little minds and nothing better to do but find a reason to whinge!!!

The stupidity of people complaints amazes me, racist? What complete rubbish. Stop winging and go out and get a life.