Coles shoppers shocked by 'rude' tactics, criticises store over controversial charity drive

Supermarket giant Coles has recently come under fire from disgruntled customers for what they perceive as an intrusive charity drive within the store premises.

A customer took to social media to express their displeasure after encountering a charity worker, allegedly wearing a 'Coles visitor' name tag, soliciting donations inside their local Coles store.

The customer shared an image of the charity worker engaging with another shopper at the end of an aisle near the chilled food section.

‘Today at the Coles store in Westfield Penrith, Penrith [New South Wales], while doing some shopping, I was approached by someone wearing a Coles "Visitor" tag on their clothes, claiming to be seeking donations for Domestic Violence victims,’ the caption read.

They criticised Coles for 'allowing “visitors” to walk around seeking donations', a practice they claimed to have never encountered before.

Screenshot 2024-01-15 091914.png
A Coles shopper slammed the supermarket for allowing charity drives inside the store. Source: Reddit

The shopper wrote, ‘With everyone facing increased living costs, it felt rude to me to be interrupted by someone seeking donations unsolicited while getting food to live. I advised I wasn't interested and didn't make a scene, as my issue was allowing this in the first place and not the person.’

‘More so now because many are struggling and by no fault of their own are now stuck in a position to either give something or feel bad and say no. Many walked away advising their partner/friend they "feel like s*** for saying no". No one is expecting this when grocery shopping,’ the customer added.

Social media users echoed the shopper’s sentiment, with many sharing their experiences and stating they would ‘hate’ it if they encountered something similar.

‘I've definitely never seen this in store before. I've seen it and been harassed outside of store exits a lot, but never IN the actual store,’ a person wrote.

‘I am fatigued by all the requests for donations, I just want to be left in peace to go about my business shopping and then go home,’ one commenter said.

A third social media user shared, ‘Never liked being interrupted by these guys. Often, they would be over-friendly and comment on how good you look, etc. You tell them “no”, and their face colour changes. [I’m] all up for charities and donations, but these are just paid workers aiming to meet their targets.’

In response to the backlash, a Coles spokesperson clarified that it is not the supermarket's policy to permit charity workers to solicit donations inside its stores.

It is generally understood that charity groups wishing to fundraise at Coles are advised to do so outside the store, in an area that does not interfere with customers' shopping experience.

‘We understand many of our customers are impacted by increased cost-of-living pressures,’ the spokesperson stated.

‘While we work hard to support a range of charities which in turn support our local communities, it is not standard practice for charity groups to fundraise on the supermarket shop floor.’

‘In addition to Coles’ formal charity partnerships, we empower our store teams to support their own local charities and community projects, and provide them with guidance about how to raise awareness and funds in a way which is mindful of our customers,’ the spokesperson added.

Meanwhile, other shoppers shared advice for dealing with similar situations.

‘I never donate to anyone who approaches me. Don't trust that they are collecting for whatever they say they are—so easy to print out an ID and buy a new bucket! And definitely not giving some random my bank details!’ someone stated.

Another customer agreed, writing: ‘Hard agree with not donating to anyone that approaches you, if you want to donate do research and donate it to a cause you really believe in, or to GiveWell or similar.’

‘If they ever ask you to donate, pre-empt by saying, "I have this much you can have as a one-off payment. No, I will not give you sensitive information like my card details or sign up for a subscription service. If that is a problem, then we are not compatible. Good day,"’ a third person said.

‘“Mate, no offence, I am trying to shop for my hungry family” [is a] very simple solution. If enough people reply like this, they’ll probably get the hint and stop doing it,’ a fourth person shared.

Key Takeaways
  • A customer expressed dissatisfaction with charity workers asking for donations inside a Coles supermarket.
  • Coles clarified that it is not their policy to allow fundraising inside stores and that charity groups are usually informed they can do so at the front of the store.
  • The incident sparked attention online, with many echoing the sentiments of the shopper and expressing distaste over in-store charity drives.
  • Social media users shared tips on how to respond to those asking for donations in similar situations.

If you are considering making a donation to a charity and want to ensure its legitimacy, you can verify its existence using this website: https://www.acnc.gov.au/charity/charities

What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you ever been approached for a donation while shopping? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
Supermarket giant Coles has recently come under fire from disgruntled customers for what they perceive as an intrusive charity drive within the store premises.

A customer took to social media to express their displeasure after encountering a charity worker, allegedly wearing a 'Coles visitor' name tag, soliciting donations inside their local Coles store.

The customer shared an image of the charity worker engaging with another shopper at the end of an aisle near the chilled food section.

‘Today at the Coles store in Westfield Penrith, Penrith [New South Wales], while doing some shopping, I was approached by someone wearing a Coles "Visitor" tag on their clothes, claiming to be seeking donations for Domestic Violence victims,’ the caption read.

They criticised Coles for 'allowing “visitors” to walk around seeking donations', a practice they claimed to have never encountered before.

View attachment 39260
A Coles shopper slammed the supermarket for allowing charity drives inside the store. Source: Reddit

The shopper wrote, ‘With everyone facing increased living costs, it felt rude to me to be interrupted by someone seeking donations unsolicited while getting food to live. I advised I wasn't interested and didn't make a scene, as my issue was allowing this in the first place and not the person.’

‘More so now because many are struggling and by no fault of their own are now stuck in a position to either give something or feel bad and say no. Many walked away advising their partner/friend they "feel like s*** for saying no". No one is expecting this when grocery shopping,’ the customer added.

Social media users echoed the shopper’s sentiment, with many sharing their experiences and stating they would ‘hate’ it if they encountered something similar.

‘I've definitely never seen this in store before. I've seen it and been harassed outside of store exits a lot, but never IN the actual store,’ a person wrote.

‘I am fatigued by all the requests for donations, I just want to be left in peace to go about my business shopping and then go home,’ one commenter said.

A third social media user shared, ‘Never liked being interrupted by these guys. Often, they would be over-friendly and comment on how good you look, etc. You tell them “no”, and their face colour changes. [I’m] all up for charities and donations, but these are just paid workers aiming to meet their targets.’

In response to the backlash, a Coles spokesperson clarified that it is not the supermarket's policy to permit charity workers to solicit donations inside its stores.

It is generally understood that charity groups wishing to fundraise at Coles are advised to do so outside the store, in an area that does not interfere with customers' shopping experience.

‘We understand many of our customers are impacted by increased cost-of-living pressures,’ the spokesperson stated.

‘While we work hard to support a range of charities which in turn support our local communities, it is not standard practice for charity groups to fundraise on the supermarket shop floor.’

‘In addition to Coles’ formal charity partnerships, we empower our store teams to support their own local charities and community projects, and provide them with guidance about how to raise awareness and funds in a way which is mindful of our customers,’ the spokesperson added.

‘I never donate to anyone who approaches me. Don't trust that they are collecting for whatever they say they are—so easy to print out an ID and buy a new bucket! And definitely not giving some random my bank details!’ someone stated.

Another customer agreed, writing: ‘Hard agree with not donating to anyone that approaches you, if you want to donate do research and donate it to a cause you really believe in, or to GiveWell or similar.’

‘If they ever ask you to donate, pre-empt by saying, "I have this much you can have as a one-off payment. No, I will not give you sensitive information like my card details or sign up for a subscription service. If that is a problem, then we are not compatible. Good day,"’ a third person said.

‘“Mate, no offence, I am trying to shop for my hungry family” [is a] very simple solution. If enough people reply like this, they’ll probably get the hint and stop doing it,’ a fourth person shared.

Key Takeaways

• A customer expressed dissatisfaction with charity workers asking for donations inside a Coles supermarket.
  • Coles clarified that it is not their policy to allow fundraising inside stores and that charity groups are usually informed they can do so at the front of the store.
  • The incident sparked attention online, with many echoing the sentiments of the shopper and expressing distaste over in-store charity drives.
  • Social media users shared tips on how to respond to those asking for donations in similar situations.

If you are considering making a donation to a charity and want to ensure its legitimacy, you can verify its existence using this website: https://www.acnc.gov.au/charity/charities

What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you ever been approached for a donation while shopping? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.
If I have been asked for a donation it has always been at the checkout by the coles staff member the person who was a visitor should not have been asking for donations without proper credentials

I set charity donations at the start of the year. There are local groups that you can see where the money goes, never to any head office like bush fire brigade etc. Keep it local. My one exception is Fred Hollows Foundation. This way when another charity comes up I can always honestly answer - sorry you are not in my list this year

I donate to two charities and stick to these McGraths Breast Cancer foundation and kids cancer.

I no longer give to people collecting donations after hearing that part of the donations go to paying the collector.

I do think it's rude Coles allowing this especially in these tuff times.
There are people out there doing it tuff but when a charity collector comes up to you then you feel you need to give.

I also think it's such an inconvenient location

View attachment 39260

Key Takeaways

Interesting...
My wife & I recently volunteered with the Salvos - putting together Christmas hampers. What a wonderful experience. All the food for the hampers was sourced by the Salvos. We also saw a couple of Salvos volunteers manning a desk “inside“ our local Coles store. When approaching their desk, I was greeted with courtesy and their demeanour was very friendly and to the point where they asked if “we“ were OK??? If we needed help buying groceries. I’m not sure about the “charity group” in the above story, but I can say that I support what the salvos do.

View attachment 39260

Key Takeaways

You know for every dollar you donate to maccas and Coles etc , they donate on your behalf, they write off on their tax. They already pay eff all tax and you're helping them avoid even more.

It's difficult when you're approached to donate.

These days so many of us are having to shop carefully and often (in my case) forgo items I'd like to buy because prices keep rising (either directly or via shrinkflation).

I don't have spare money at the end of the fortnight, the opposite is actually more likely where I've had to dip in to the credit card to make sure things get paid.

Then along comes the charity rep at a kiosk in the shopping centre or as in this story freelancing in a store.

The request makes you feel cornered.

The rep assumes you're in the store so you're monied. You don't want to give the person a sob story. It just makes you feel bad, as though you're being mean.

With all the worthy charities, just about everyone would need to have a limit of who to donate to, if at all.
I’d find it very inconvenient if I were to be approached in the grocery aisle just to make a donation. It also can make it difficult for shoppers to navigate around the obstruction, particularly those with mobility issues.

I am very careful when donating to charities.
I find it ridiculous that the CEOs of these charities are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in salaries which, in effect, means a lot of donations are going towards paying those salaries, and not to the expected recipients.
I have no problem in principle with them being paid a fair remuneration but some of the salaries are not justified.
Regarding this post, I agree with most of the contributors, a supermarket is not an appropriate place to request charitable donations.
People have enough to think about when shopping and checking prices on items without being approached by charities looking for contributions.
Not a good move Coles!

Keep these 'collection' people out of shops when people are doing their personal shopping......they should be made to stand outside a store with appropriate signage as to who they are collecting for and should not approach people for donations rather let consumers make their own decision whether to donate or not to their particular cause.

Interesting...
My wife & I recently volunteered with the Salvos - putting together Christmas hampers. What a wonderful experience. All the food for the hampers was sourced by the Salvos. We also saw a couple of Salvos volunteers manning a desk “inside“ our local Coles store. When approaching their desk, I was greeted with courtesy and their demeanour was very friendly and to the point where they asked if “we“ were OK??? If we needed help buying groceries. I’m not sure about the “charity group” in the above story, but I can say that I support what the salvos do.
As a little girl, I remember my grandmother telling me she always donated to the Salvos when she could.
She didn’t have much money, but she said they helped her out when she really needed it and felt good to be able to give back. That’s always stuck with me. Good onya @BenV and wife! 👍🏻
It's always heartening to know that there are people volunteering amid such tough times. Bravo, @BenV! 👏👏 👏

I hate it when ticket sellers sit at the door harrassing everyone as they enter and leave the store. Donation collectors are in shopping centres pouncing on people every time someone walks past. Even after you say no they get their ipads and try to get your details so they harrass you in the future. I've had enough of them.

I donate to two charities and stick to these McGraths Breast Cancer foundation and kids cancer.

I no longer give to people collecting donations after hearing that part of the donations go to paying the collector.

I do think it's rude Coles allowing this especially in these tuff times.
There are people out there doing it tuff but when a charity collector comes up to you then you feel you need to give.

I also think it's such an inconvenient location
We sponsor children in poor countries and have done for 40 years and we have set charities we give to

It's difficult when you're approached to donate.

These days so many of us are having to shop carefully and often (in my case) forgo items I'd like to buy because prices keep rising (either directly or via shrinkflation).

I don't have spare money at the end of the fortnight, the opposite is actually more likely where I've had to dip in to the credit card to make sure things get paid.

Then along comes the charity rep at a kiosk in the shopping centre or as in this story freelancing in a store.

The request makes you feel cornered.

The rep assumes you're in the store so you're monied. You don't want to give the person a sob story. It just makes you feel bad, as though you're being mean.
Learn to say "No, thank you."