Coles shoppers’ BIZARRE ACT sparks internet outrage — “They just have no regard for anyone!”

We've all been there — we're at the grocery store, picking out the perfect head of lettuce for our salad, when we spot someone in the produce aisle doing something a little... odd.

In this case, it was a pair of shoppers who were stripping the outer leaves from iceberg lettuces and filling their trolley.

While it's not uncommon for people to remove the limp leaves from an iceberg lettuce before they buy it, this duo took the practice to the next level...

Shopper James Longstaff caught the act on camera, sharing the clip on his TikTok account on Sunday night.

Credit: TikTok/@longie69

In the video, the pair of unnamed shoppers were shown going through every lettuce on display in a WA Coles store to strip the leaves.

It should be noted that supermarkets allow customers to take home cast-off lettuce leaves for free, presumably to use them as feed for their pets.

While some people might see this as a thrifty way to get free lettuce leaves for their pets, others are calling it out as a form of theft. After all, a head of lettuce is currently selling for $5.50 at Coles.

One person wrote: “Lettuce is sold by “each” not weight, so they’re actually stealing from everyone who buys a lettuce after them.”

“I would have had to say something. They just have no regard for anyone,” another added.

“You’re allowed to take the lettuce scraps from the bins for free at most grocery stores but you cant fill a trolly (sic) taking it off the lettuces!!”

NVRXGFrAB4IGnWACk6dig5PxSY7A0XWjEmVrgVnZuhDh9fkjOXWxFIxjfUPLsNz8s2uC7day3v6vwW7wAg6OP_QzQMZOqxX8bk2Ii9Rtbzkff2_B0OXAlRuvxJAyCtFHdswwTC4qx5FBpTiq

The bizarre act of two shoppers at a WA store has sparked outrage among social media users. Credit: TikTok/@longie69.

Aside from the perceived theft, others pointed out the poor hygiene behind the hack, saying that the shoppers in the video were not wearing gloves while they were handling the vegetables.

One comment read: “They aren’t even wearing gloves.”

“Now u know why u should wash ur fruit & veg before consumption!” another said.

One person jokingly said that the shoppers are doing everyone a favour by making their jobs easier, writing: ”I mean does anyone actually eat that first layer anyway?"

Coles has yet to comment on the issue but it is understood that the supermarket has plans to address the incident.

What do you think? Is this a genius money-saving hack or a step too far? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
I actually quite dislike lettuce now so the hike in prices doesn't bother me much at all.....I have been known to grow lettuce and eat that maybe everyone should start growing a few more veges and lettuce are one of the easy ones....live in a unit? ....no worries grow them in tubs.

Coles shoppers’ BIZARRE ACT sparks internet outrage — “They just have no regard for anyone!”

We've all been there — we're at the grocery store, picking out the perfect head of lettuce for our salad, when we spot someone in the produce aisle doing something a little... odd.

In this case, it was a pair of shoppers who were stripping the outer leaves from iceberg lettuces and filling their trolley.

While it's not uncommon for people to remove the limp leaves from an iceberg lettuce before they buy it, this duo took the practice to the next level...

Shopper James Longstaff caught the act on camera, sharing the clip on his TikTok account on Sunday night.

In the video, the pair of unnamed shoppers were shown going through every lettuce on display in a WA Coles store to strip the leaves.

It should be noted that supermarkets allow customers to take home cast-off lettuce leaves for free, presumably to use them as feed for their pets.

While some people might see this as a thrifty way to get free lettuce leaves for their pets, others are calling it out as a form of theft. After all, a head of lettuce is currently selling for $5.50 at Coles.

One person wrote: “Lettuce is sold by “each” not weight, so they’re actually stealing from everyone who buys a lettuce after them.”

“I would have had to say something. They just have no regard for anyone,” another added.

“You’re allowed to take the lettuce scraps from the bins for free at most grocery stores but you cant fill a trolly (sic) taking it off the lettuces!!”

NVRXGFrAB4IGnWACk6dig5PxSY7A0XWjEmVrgVnZuhDh9fkjOXWxFIxjfUPLsNz8s2uC7day3v6vwW7wAg6OP_QzQMZOqxX8bk2Ii9Rtbzkff2_B0OXAlRuvxJAyCtFHdswwTC4qx5FBpTiq

The bizarre act of two shoppers at a WA store has sparked outrage among social media users. Credit: TikTok/@longie69.

Aside from the perceived theft, others pointed out the poor hygiene behind the hack, saying that the shoppers in the video were not wearing gloves while they were handling the vegetables.

One person jokingly said that the shoppers are doing everyone a favour by making their jobs easier, writing: ”I mean does anyone actually eat that first layer anyway?"

Coles has yet to comment on the issue but it is understood that the supermarket has plans to address the incident.

What do you think? Is this a genius money-saving hack or a step too far? Let us know in the comments!

My mum puts the the outer leaves in her vegetable soup also note the outer leaves protect the inner leaves from damage.sellme the whole lettuce intact ple

If I found anyone doing this in a store where I was shopping, I'd make sure that everybody knew what they were up to by highlighting their behaviour. This couple, and anyone else who sees this behaviour as okay, are just the scum of the earth. This is an act of blatant, outright theft and the store must bring these people to account, otherewise the store is saying that it is okay for you to take portions of every other shoppers produce.

No, this is not ok. If loose lettuce leave are ok to take home (good idea) then perhaps the supermarket can place them the other side of the check out and place a limit on how much can be taken.

Too many steps too far.

That is theft plain and simple.

I find that disgusting, they are thieving and when you go to buy your lettuce you are being ripped off because they have taken a good part of your lettuce and at that price , what they have done is a big NO NO. I have always gathered the leaves out of the bin for my chooks especially during summer when the paddocks are dry and if there wasn't enough leaves I would buy one if they where cheap. I can't understand why nothing was said to them as they had a trolley full. Strange and very wrong, times are hard enough.

In WA the people that get bags (well those free bags are not longer available but when they were) they could fill them with the discarded lettuce leaves from the bin and most people were taking them for their hens or for birds of some sort. At least it was less wastage that Coles had to discard saving them money. I have noticed in the last few years the bins for discarding the lettuce leaves you may not want are no longer there and most people just leave them on the display. I truly think it was theft that women committed in pulling the lettuce leaves off and putting them in the trolley for some people still prefer to purchase their lettuce with those leaves still on as they do offer protection in transport.

Definitely going too far. Certaily feed a big family or family & relatives. I should be allowed to remove those leaves myself or leave them on & feed to my earthworms (earthworm farm). Hard to tell properly but those leaves didn't look limp to me. Not sure what habits they employ in their own country but here you can keep your hands off my lettuce thankyou!
The final thought of course is, how many UNPAID for lettuce make up the volume of leaves?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci

Calculate the number of lettuces they vandalised and charge them for the full lettuces accordingly. These are NOT cast-off lettuce leaves. This is attempted theft.

Completely out of order, they are stealing from every person who subsequently bought a lettuce

they are smart

What do you think? Is this a genius money-saving hack or a step too far? Let u

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci