Coles shopper slammed for 'disappointing' behaviour – do you agree?

We'll be the first to admit it - we can't resist a good bargain. When we go to the supermarket and see some particularly enticing markdowns, we like to take advantage. After all, especially these days, it's a rare treat to be able to fill our pantry or fridge on the cheap.

But there's always that nagging ethical question: Is it okay to grab most, or all, of the discounted items, or do we just take a couple and leave the rest for the next person?

One budget-savvy shopper is a good example of this, as she recently took to social media in order to tell people about the great deals she found at her local Coles supermarket.

To her surprise, she was confronted with a barrage of criticism and backlash from fellow customers who called what she did 'disappointing'.

kOf4gs5uRGckdcsQdHNXqmRAli_WJSviu4q3RbTrwtaaE8wvAcCsUEu7DW70CvItVYqMRM1DPLZCFay8tCr0Pg7qvk7dGpy_Ru0X4KURa2j6kqHEgsYXVMH09r0Zw92TXEce8fy0luCpl3QQNSSZFKs

A woman was criticised online for 'disappointing' behaviour at her local Coles. Credit: Facebook.

Sharing on a popular Facebook group Markdown Addicts Australia, the woman from Lake Haven, NSW, said she found a lot of 500g packs of Western Star butter for only $1.88, which is a huge bargain, given that the usual price is $7.50 for one pack.

Taking advantage of the very rare opportunity, the woman bought all of the butter that had been marked down, leaving nothing for other Coles customers in the area.

Many people were quick to tell the woman she was wrong for what she did, saying that while it's okay to take advantage of a sale by bulk buying, she should have left some for others who might need them as well.

'During these hard times and so many people doing it tough, I would have left some for someone else. But that's just me,' one person wrote in the comments.

Several others agreed and said the same thing. 'Just because you can doesn't mean you should,' echoed another.

One person, who also lives around the area, was upset because it was their local store and the brand of butter they usually buy. They had their fingers crossed that there would be enough packs of butter left on the shelf for them to buy, but unfortunately, the woman had other plans.

ost5DHMjOb8DMJbmdk2RJ6gbXuXrYxdwBEqPTjQ5WyYNRWlIPi3gxEiVloLxYKMxgqo6WWuH4AumQSKrhDeKkduHAg3M-TpRnMeDMM_xg0F18B_xTS-4jjDHjsoqu4EJuC1f1YhdLiP2E-h-eU1ksyQ

The woman defended herself, saying she really needed all the butter. Credit: Freepik. (Stock photo)

The woman was quick to defend herself against anyone who questioned her actions. Responding to the accusations that she didn't leave 'anything' to other shoppers, she said that plenty of meat was also on sale, but she didn't take 'a single thing'.

'I did leave some for the others,' she said, adding that since she bakes almost every week, she genuinely needs this huge amount of butter.

'I wouldn't pass up this cheap butter. Butter is expensive, and I just happened to be lucky today.'

Following the woman's response, several users rallied to her defence and argued that she was reasonable for doing what she did considering the situation that she was in.

One user even said that if they were in the same position as her, they would have taken all the butter—and all of the meat—as well!

'Good on you for grabbing some. Baking brings lots of joy (and sometimes tears when things don't go right). Keep doing what you love, and I would have taken some too,' wrote another person.

Someone who claimed to be a supermarket staff member also commented on the post and commended the woman for taking all of the discounted items. 'We hate having to bin products, so if you see them, buy them!'

'We don't care how much you buy (unless there is a limit for some reason). Take it all! Right place, right time!' they added.

What about you, folks? What do you think about this situation? While we agree that the woman could have left some for others, we can also understand that some deals are just too good to pass up!

Is it selfish to buy all the marked-down items on offer, or is this more of a 'finders keepers' type situation? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Sponsored
When I have found a good bargain I have been tempted to buy ALOT or all of them , after all I'm human and who doesn't like a good find.

But then I come back to earth and realise I would feel guilty afterwards so I will take one for now and one for later, and leave some for others.

Anyone that takes the lot in my eyes is selfish. The important word here is SHARE

We'll be the first to admit it - we can't resist a good bargain. When we go to the supermarket and see some particularly enticing markdowns, we like to take advantage. After all, especially these days, it's a rare treat to be able to fill our pantry or fridge on the cheap.

But there's always that nagging ethical question: Is it okay to grab most, or all, of the discounted items, or do we just take a couple and leave the rest for the next person?

One budget-savvy shopper is a good example of this, as she recently took to social media in order to tell people about the great deals she found at her local Coles supermarket.

To her surprise, she was confronted with a barrage of criticism and backlash from fellow customers who called what she did 'disappointing'.

kOf4gs5uRGckdcsQdHNXqmRAli_WJSviu4q3RbTrwtaaE8wvAcCsUEu7DW70CvItVYqMRM1DPLZCFay8tCr0Pg7qvk7dGpy_Ru0X4KURa2j6kqHEgsYXVMH09r0Zw92TXEce8fy0luCpl3QQNSSZFKs

A woman was criticised online for 'disappointing' behaviour at her local Coles. Credit: Facebook.

Sharing on a popular Facebook group Markdown Addicts Australia, the woman from Lake Haven, NSW, said she found a lot of 500g packs of Western Star butter for only $1.88, which is a huge bargain, given that the usual price is $7.50 for one pack.

Taking advantage of the very rare opportunity, the woman bought all of the butter that had been marked down, leaving nothing for other Coles customers in the area.

Many people were quick to tell the woman she was wrong for what she did, saying that while it's okay to take advantage of a sale by bulk buying, she should have left some for others who might need them as well.

'During these hard times and so many people doing it tough, I would have left some for someone else. But that's just me,' one person wrote in the comments.

Several others agreed and said the same thing. 'Just because you can doesn't mean you should,' echoed another.

One person, who also lives around the area, was upset because it was their local store and the brand of butter they usually buy. They had their fingers crossed that there would be enough packs of butter left on the shelf for them to buy, but unfortunately, the woman had other plans.

ost5DHMjOb8DMJbmdk2RJ6gbXuXrYxdwBEqPTjQ5WyYNRWlIPi3gxEiVloLxYKMxgqo6WWuH4AumQSKrhDeKkduHAg3M-TpRnMeDMM_xg0F18B_xTS-4jjDHjsoqu4EJuC1f1YhdLiP2E-h-eU1ksyQ

The woman defended herself, saying she really needed all the butter. Credit: Freepik. (Stock photo)

The woman was quick to defend herself against anyone who questioned her actions. Responding to the accusations that she didn't leave 'anything' to other shoppers, she said that plenty of meat was also on sale, but she didn't take 'a single thing'.

'I did leave some for the others,' she said, adding that since she bakes almost every week, she genuinely needs this huge amount of butter.

'I wouldn't pass up this cheap butter. Butter is expensive, and I just happened to be lucky today.'

Following the woman's response, several users rallied to her defence and argued that she was reasonable for doing what she did considering the situation that she was in.

One user even said that if they were in the same position as her, they would have taken all the butter—and all of the meat—as well!

'Good on you for grabbing some. Baking brings lots of joy (and sometimes tears when things don't go right). Keep doing what you love, and I would have taken some too,' wrote another person.

Someone who claimed to be a supermarket staff member also commented on the post and commended the woman for taking all of the discounted items. 'We hate having to bin products, so if you see them, buy them!'

'We don't care how much you buy (unless there is a limit for some reason). Take it all! Right place, right time!' they added.

What about you, folks? What do you think about this situation? While we agree that the woman could have left some for others, we can also understand that some deals are just too good to pass up!

Is it selfish to buy all the marked-down items on offer, or is this more of a 'finders keepers' type situation? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!
Maybe take half of the markdown butter and come back later😊most time it’s only one or two blocks, but some times if your lucky it’s a whole carton. Theses day if you have a family to feed you do what you need to do to give them the best. I would any way.

Reactions: Ricci
Maybe take half of the markdown butter and come back later😊most time it’s only one or two blocks, but some times if your lucky it’s a whole carton. Theses day if you have a family to feed you do what you need to do to give them the best. I would any way.
That's a good idea to go back at another time. I have a very large family to feed and want to give them the best but still couldn't take awhole box even though I would be tempted I would feel selfish
If something I use regularly went on sale for a ridiculous price I don't think I would grab it all, maybe enough to get me through two weeks or so. Any more would just be greedy, spread the love I say!:)
I love the way you think !! I'm the same when something goes on sale and they have abundance of that item. I believe if you take too much it won't be any good, if you take enough for now and some for later it will be perfect.

Taking too much of something is greedy.

Once upon a time, specials like this had 'per customer/transaction' limits. Much fairer. If she was determined to get so much, she would have had to make several trips into the store and through the checkout, which would have given others a chance to get some too.
I don't think I could bring myself to be so selfish as to take the lot.

It’s al about first up best dressed these days!
I have 2 families currently living with me that were homeless & couldn’t get a rental so we go thru 13 blocks of butter a week so in my case I would’ve grabbed, depending how many were there, enough for a couple of weeks for my expanded family of 16 including myself!

I often have observed the Asian Newsagent Deli owner stocking up on these special offers and happily leave the shelf bare. Next day on sale for above full price in the store at the deli.

Go for the bargains if they are available. On another note about Coles, can the club get onto to them about the price of their Olive Oil Spread. About 14 months ago these spreads(margarines), were about $2.00 for 500 grams, yet today they are $3.80. How is this justified.

Good on her.
This discussion has been had many times, from people buying "on sale shoes" at KMart and reselling them at a market stall to various other products marked down to clear at other outlets.
So many commenters refer to "fairness" and "sharing" in their replies and those thoughts are based on their own values, morals or beliefs, most likely gained from their own upbringing. That alone will lead to many variances in the way we see and do things and how we observe the behaviour of others.
The retailers all say that if the item is for sale, any purchaser can buy as many of the item as they like provided there is not a limit placed on the quantity able to be purchased......
Retailers need to clear these items for one or more reasons...... it may be because of a use by date, change of fashion, damaged items, seasonal stock clearances, or because the item did not sell well.
Unwanted stock in any store is a liability to the business and therefore needs to be moved on.
Each to their own thoughts..... mine is.... if something is marked for "CLEARANCE", then that is what the retailer wants.... to clear it........so anybody can buy one or buy all....
Take the opportunity when it presents....... "Those who hesitate are lost"

Just some thoughts :unsure:

Reactions: TheBear and Ricci
Go for the bargains if they are available. On another note about Coles, can the club get onto to them about the price of their Olive Oil Spread. About 14 months ago these spreads(margarines), were about $2.00 for 500 grams, yet today they are $3.80. How is this justified.
I saw that as well.

Good on her.
This discussion has been had many times, from people buying "on sale shoes" at KMart and reselling them at a market stall to various other products marked down to clear at other outlets.
So many commenters refer to "fairness" and "sharing" in their replies and those thoughts are based on their own values, morals or beliefs, most likely gained from their own upbringing. That alone will lead to many variances in the way we see and do things and how we observe the behaviour of others.
The retailers all say that if the item is for sale, any purchaser can buy as many of the item as they like provided there is not a limit placed on the quantity able to be purchased......
Retailers need to clear these items for one or more reasons...... it may be because of a use by date, change of fashion, damaged items, seasonal stock clearances, or because the item did not sell well.
Unwanted stock in any store is a liability to the business and therefore needs to be moved on.
Each to their own thoughts..... mine is.... if something is marked for "CLEARANCE", then that is what the retailer wants.... to clear it........so anybody can buy one or buy all....
Take the opportunity when it presents....... "Those who hesitate are lost"

Just some thoughts :unsure:
As you said everyone to their own but I still can't be selfish and nothing to do with my up bringing my family are very selfish and would take everything. thank full I have a conscience

Last edited:
As you said everyone to their own but I still can't be selfish and nothing to do with my up bringing half my siblings are in or have been in jail because they think of themselves only. Guess it's like chalk n cheese just glad and thank full I have a conscience
That's great Suzanne.... we all have our thoughts and opinions and these should not be judged by others.
It would be a very dull place if we all observed things, thought the same way and did the same thing.
Have a great day. :)

Yep, she’s a selfish grub…plenty of those around! She tried to defend herself by saying there was plenty of meat on special but she didn’t take any of that, probably because she didn’t need any! Considering the cost of living crisis that we are in atm, & probably will be for the unforeseeable future, the supermarkets should put a limit on the number of units a customer can buy on super marked down goods like the did on toilet paper. Although I saw a number of times where families of 4-? would all go into our local Woolworths separately & each buy a pack- selfish pigs!!

I often have observed the Asian Newsagent Deli owner stocking up on these special offers and happily leave the shelf bare. Next day on sale for above full price in the store at the deli.
I ve seen that kind of behaviour/money making a few. times as well. Gives a whole group of people a bad name, unfortunately, not just the one doing it!

• Sad
I willl just say the store should have put a limit on the amount you could buy personaly I would have just taken 3

Once upon a time, specials like this had 'per customer/transaction' limits. Much fairer. If she was determined to get so much, she would have had to make several trips into the store and through the checkout, which would have given others a chance to get some too.
I don't think I could bring myself to be so selfish as to take the lot.
I agree with the idea of limiting the number of an item that can be purchased at VERY low prices.

All you have to do is request a raincheck on the item at the special price - no one needs to miss out :)