Coles shopper shocked to find 'pleasant surprise' on receipt – are you eligible for the surprise gift?

We all know that feeling of dread when we're at the register, about to finalise our supermarket purchase, and the cashier tells us the total cost.

It seems like every week, no matter how carefully we try to stick to our budget, the total cost just keeps going up and up. And let's face it – with everything else that's going on in life right now, who can afford to be blowing their budget on groceries?

But every so often, we have a pleasant surprise while checking out at the supermarket – like one Coles shopper did earlier this week.

Much to her delight (and probably relief, as we can imagine), she discovered an incredible $25 discount message printed on her receipt!

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 10.23.39 AM.png
One shopper was surprised to find a $25 discount on her receipt. Credit: Facebook.

The lucky shopper took to the Facebook group Markdown Addicts Australia earlier this week to share a photo of her receipt along with the caption: 'Pleasant surprise on my Coles docket today'.

She said she had no idea what she had done to receive such a hefty discount. As you can imagine, other members of the group were quick to comment on the post and share their disbelief – after all, savings like this don't come along every day!

When asked for more details by other group members, she explained that the $25 would be deducted from her next shop automatically as long as it was over $25.05, and she scanned her Flybuys card.

As it turns out, the discount is a personalised offer sent out to Flybuys members, which requires them to shop at Coles for four consecutive weeks in order to receive either a discount on a future shop or Flybuys points.

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 10.23.33 AM.png
According to Coles, these personalised offers for Flybuys members have been running since 2016, and are tailored to individual shoppers. Credit: Getty.

The friendly folks over at Coles have confirmed that these special offers for Flybuys members have been running since 2016 and are tailored to individual shoppers. This means that the minimum weekly spend will vary from shopper to shopper.

Some shoppers reported that they need to spend as much as $80 in one transaction to get the initial $25 off their shop, while others have to spend much more than $80 to get the same discount.

Tip
If you're interested in getting a discount at Coles, we suggest that you go to their website and sign up to be a Flybuys member!

So, if you're a regular Coles shopper and you want to get in on this deal, make sure to sign up for Flybuys and scan your card at the checkout!

How great is that? We definitely think this is worth signing up for if you haven't already! To know more about the benefits (and possible downsides) of these supermarket rewards programs, check out one of our previous articles here.

Have you ever had a pleasant surprise like this one when shopping at your local supermarket? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
We all know that feeling of dread when we're at the register, about to finalise our supermarket purchase, and the cashier tells us the total cost.

It seems like every week, no matter how carefully we try to stick to our budget, the total cost just keeps going up and up. And let's face it – with everything else that's going on in life right now, who can afford to be blowing their budget on groceries?

But every so often, we have a pleasant surprise while checking out at the supermarket – like one Coles shopper did earlier this week.

Much to her delight (and probably relief, as we can imagine), she discovered an incredible $25 discount message printed on her receipt!

View attachment 7280
One shopper was surprised to find a $25 discount on her receipt. Credit: Facebook.

The lucky shopper took to the Facebook group Markdown Addicts Australia earlier this week to share a photo of her receipt along with the caption: 'Pleasant surprise on my Coles docket today'.

She said she had no idea what she had done to receive such a hefty discount. As you can imagine, other members of the group were quick to comment on the post and share their disbelief – after all, savings like this don't come along every day!

When asked for more details by other group members, she explained that the $25 would be deducted from her next shop automatically as long as it was over $25.05, and she scanned her Flybuys card.

As it turns out, the discount is a personalised offer sent out to Flybuys members, which requires them to shop at Coles for four consecutive weeks in order to receive either a discount on a future shop or Flybuys points.

View attachment 7281
According to Coles, these personalised offers for Flybuys members have been running since 2016, and are tailored to individual shoppers. Credit: Getty.

The friendly folks over at Coles have confirmed that these special offers for Flybuys members have been running since 2016 and are tailored to individual shoppers. This means that the minimum weekly spend will vary from shopper to shopper.

Some shoppers reported that they need to spend as much as $80 in one transaction to get the initial $25 off their shop, while others have to spend much more than $80 to get the same discount.

Tip
If you're interested in getting a discount at Coles, we suggest that you go to their website and sign up to be a Flybuys member!

So, if you're a regular Coles shopper and you want to get in on this deal, make sure to sign up for Flybuys and scan your card at the checkout!

How great is that? We definitely think this is worth signing up for if you haven't already! To know more about the benefits (and possible downsides) of these supermarket rewards programs, check out one of our previous articles here.

Have you ever had a pleasant surprise like this one when shopping at your local supermarket? Let us know in the comments below.
The only surprise I find on my Coles receipt is the number of times I am overcharged!!! Items scanned twice, items not discounted when they are on special...I check every docket before leaving the store now.

Trouble is if you are like me and don't spend very much weekly then you tend to miss out on some of these offers.

Reactions: Ricci
I recently received $50 off my shop, but I did need to spend $130 each week for 4 weeks.
So, I stocked up on items that I use all the time when they were on special.
So, a Win-Win for me.

Reactions: Ricci