Coles shopper scores HUGE $217 meat haul for just $31 – find out how you can too!

Meat is one of the most expensive items on any grocery list these days, especially now that inflation is taking a toll on the prices of basic commodities, which is why many Aussies choose to buy their favourite cuts only on special occasions.

But what if we told you that there was a way you could enjoy your beloved meaty meals more often without having to spend an arm and a leg? That's right – by keeping an eye out for reductions at your local supermarket!

One Queensland shopper showed off their hugely discounted finds on the popular Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook page and we all thought Christmas came early.

While the price of meat and groceries has been skyrocketing in the past few months, the lucky shopper was able to purchase a massive amount of discounted items for a tiny fraction of the retail price from her local Coles stores.

bc424710-7496-11ed-bfd3-47a6cc751611

Just in time for Christmas, a Coles customer scored a large amount of meat at a fraction of the price. Credit: Markdown Addicts Australia/Facebook.

'Perfect timing! $217.53 worth of meat for $31.88,' the shopper wrote in the post, along with a photo of the unbelievable haul which included BBQ sausages for 75 cents, chicken breast fillets for $2.37, pork chipolatas for 99 cents, grass-fed diced beef for $1.40, marinated chicken drumsticks for 99 cents and a pork roast for $4.

'Amazing freezer top-up for our family of six.'

The shopper's post attracted hundreds of shocked users in the comment section, with many expressing their disbelief over the massive purchase.

One person wrote: 'Absolutely blown away by your haul! Well done.'

'Wow, congratulations! I'd give my left arm for a haul or two like that. It's so expensive these days,' another added.

While many group members expressed concern that the meat products were possibly reaching their expiration date, the shopper stated that the use-by date was not an issue for her and that she had already eaten some of the products while freezing the remainder.

'I divided it up and froze it straight away. I definitely wouldn't keep them fresh and risk the date,' she explained.

'We cooked up the roast pork for sandwiches this week and had chicken drumsticks for dinner. So everything else freezes well.'

According to a Coles spokesperson, stores occasionally mark down products near the best-before date to avoid waste and provide consumers with the opportunity to buy what they need at a reasonable price.

The representative said: 'We know our customers love good value so when a product is near its best-before date we often mark it down so it can be enjoyed for a cheaper price, instead of being wasted.'

'Markdowns do not uniformly take place at the same time across all stores. There are many things that can impact when this takes place including stock on hand, delivery schedules and team member rostering.'

Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper recently revealed that she was able to purchase 25 packs of meat for a fraction of the retail price.
  • The shopper's post on the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook page was flooded with comments from others who couldn't believe her luck.
  • A Coles spokesperson previously confirmed that stores sometimes mark down products near the best-before date to reduce wastage and offer value for money to shoppers.

While the timing of implementing discounts and markdowns varies by store, it is worth noting that the trend in these situations appears to indicate that retailers are consistently cutting the price of goods as they approach their expiration date to reduce food waste.

Aside from that, many retailers discount their items later in the day, with many buyers attesting that grocery shopping in the evenings helped them score savings.

There you have it, folks! Do you know other tips for scoring meat at a fraction of its price? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
There's enough processed junk to kill a family of six. Nitrates and nitrites used as preservatives break down when exposed to heat and protein, and become carcinogenic!!

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Meat is one of the most expensive items on any grocery list these days, especially now that inflation is taking a toll on the prices of basic commodities, which is why many Aussies choose to buy their favourite cuts only on special occasions.

But what if we told you that there was a way you could enjoy your beloved meaty meals more often without having to spend an arm and a leg? That's right – by keeping an eye out for reductions at your local supermarket!

One Queensland shopper showed off their hugely discounted finds on the popular Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook page and we all thought Christmas came early.

While the price of meat and groceries has been skyrocketing in the past few months, the lucky shopper was able to purchase a massive amount of discounted items for a tiny fraction of the retail price from her local Coles stores.

bc424710-7496-11ed-bfd3-47a6cc751611

Just in time for Christmas, a Coles customer scored a large amount of meat at a fraction of the price. Credit: Markdown Addicts Australia/Facebook.

'Perfect timing! $217.53 worth of meat for $31.88,' the shopper wrote in the post, along with a photo of the unbelievable haul which included BBQ sausages for 75 cents, chicken breast fillets for $2.37, pork chipolatas for 99 cents, grass-fed diced beef for $1.40, marinated chicken drumsticks for 99 cents and a pork roast for $4.

'Amazing freezer top-up for our family of six.'

The shopper's post attracted hundreds of shocked users in the comment section, with many expressing their disbelief over the massive purchase.

One person wrote: 'Absolutely blown away by your haul! Well done.'

'Wow, congratulations! I'd give my left arm for a haul or two like that. It's so expensive these days,' another added.

While many group members expressed concern that the meat products were possibly reaching their expiration date, the shopper stated that the use-by date was not an issue for her and that she had already eaten some of the products while freezing the remainder.

'I divided it up and froze it straight away. I definitely wouldn't keep them fresh and risk the date,' she explained.

'We cooked up the roast pork for sandwiches this week and had chicken drumsticks for dinner. So everything else freezes well.'

According to a Coles spokesperson, stores occasionally mark down products near the best-before date to avoid waste and provide consumers with the opportunity to buy what they need at a reasonable price.

The representative said: 'We know our customers love good value so when a product is near its best-before date we often mark it down so it can be enjoyed for a cheaper price, instead of being wasted.'

'Markdowns do not uniformly take place at the same time across all stores. There are many things that can impact when this takes place including stock on hand, delivery schedules and team member rostering.'

Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper recently revealed that she was able to purchase 25 packs of meat for a fraction of the retail price.
  • The shopper's post on the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook page was flooded with comments from others who couldn't believe her luck.
  • A Coles spokesperson previously confirmed that stores sometimes mark down products near the best-before date to reduce wastage and offer value for money to shoppers.

While the timing of implementing discounts and markdowns varies by store, it is worth noting that the trend in these situations appears to indicate that retailers are consistently cutting the price of goods as they approach their expiration date to reduce food waste.

Aside from that, many retailers discount their items later in the day, with many buyers attesting that grocery shopping in the evenings helped them score savings.

There you have it, folks! Do you know other tips for scoring meat at a fraction of its price? Share them with us in the comments below!
Watch everyone whinge because they missed out and the savvy shopper should have left some, rubbish, good on her, take the lot. Prime example of right place right time. I snavelled some eggs up the other day for 1.75 a dozen, four dozen, took the lot.....!!

on the subject of bargains.........
I buy online and have my groceries delivered.
I ordered 6 individual tomatoes at $3.90. The well known supermarket delivered 6 kg of tomatoes at $7.90 a kg! I attempted to contact them to inform them of their error, only to be directed to a computer, that apologised and asked me if I wanted a refund!
Lots of passata, tomato pickle and a bit of jam... thanks woollies!

Why is it that some Coles Supermarkets have huge markdowns on meat and others don't. My local Nerang, Qld. store never marks meat down by more than $1. I have NEVER seen sausages for .75c yet I have been in Coles Hope Island and seen HUGE meat markdowns. Why does it differ so much from suburb to suburb? I also find that instead of putting all the markdowns in one refrigerator they now space them out and put them in with the full-priced meat items. It is a marketing ploy to make you look at the whole range of meat. I would prefer them all in the one section of the refrigerator.

According to the Coles spokesperson the markdowns are to avoid waste and so customers can buy at a reasonable price.
There you heard it straight from Coles themselves, {AT A REASONABLE PRICE} What is a reasonable price?
obviously not their normal selling price! So, Coles don't sell cheap as they advertise.
I really hope Coles management are reading this soon so we can see their response.

PS don't hold your breath!!

My local shop only ever knocks a dollar or two off the regular price. I read these posts enviously, I can only dream of these kind of reductions. :(

According to the Coles spokesperson the markdowns are to avoid waste and so customers can buy at a reasonable price.
There you heard it straight from Coles themselves, {AT A REASONABLE PRICE} What is a reasonable price?
obviously not their normal selling price! So, Coles don't sell cheap as they advertise.
I really hope Coles management are reading this soon so we can see their response.

PS don't hold your breath!!
I figure a 'reasonable price' is one that takes into account that you have to use it straight away. Otherwise it goes into land fill.