Coles shopper’s ‘disgusting’ discovery prompts mixed reactions

We all know that mince is a pretty versatile ingredient. You can cook it in so many different ways, and it's a great way to bulk up any meal while keeping costs down.

However, one customer recently bought mince from Coles and found something that left her feeling nauseated – it has since sparked a heated debate among social media users.

One shopper shared a photo in a popular Facebook group which left many social media users feeling ‘disgusted’.

In her accompanying post, she said that she was alarmed by the amount of ‘juice’ and fat that came from the mince she bought from Coles.

coles2.jpg
Do you agree with the woman and think this is disgusting? Credit: Facebook

The customer said: ‘This is what I tipped out of it!’ And attached the image above, revealing the volume of liquid left behind after cooking the meat.

It shows 400 ml of fat, which the shopper claimed was from 1.8 kg of mince.

‘Not a markdown as such, but I did think I was saving a buck buying a family 1.8kg of mince from Coles,’ she wrote.

‘This was the CW Farms family value beef mince. Will never buy this again,’ she admitted, horrified by the liquid.

However, she was met with some interesting comments from her fellow shoppers – many of them didn’t share her sentiments.

‘Hate to taste your dry, old mince now,’ said one.

Others were quick to argue that the liquid gave the mince ‘flavour’, and shouldn’t have been removed from the pan.

‘Y’all need to learn how to cook properly. That is 400 ml of flavour!’ Another pointed out.

coles1.jpg
The shopper’s post sparked a lively discussion on social media. Credit: Facebook

A third explained: ‘Well if you cooked mince with no fat, it would be like eating a leather shoe. It would be dry.’

‘First world problems! Seriously, that’s where the moisture and flavour come from. Don’t like it? Pay extra for the 99 per cent fat-free cr*p,’ someone wrote.

‘I’ll tell you now, your family won’t appreciate the dry, flavourless meal you make with it,’ another commented.

Some people weren’t surprised to see the amount of liquid and fat produced from the mince.

‘Mince is meant to have fat content. It also states on the package what fat content there is,’ explained one shopper.

Another agreed and said: ‘Whilst this looks disgusting, standard mince is actually about 20% fat. It’s normal.’

A third reassured the original poster and commented that it’s normal to find that amount of fat in mince. ‘Meat is flesh, it has water and fat naturally.’

‘Honestly, I can’t see anything wrong with it but if you cannot handle fat content, just spend the extra $1.50/kg and buy lean mince,’ said one more.

Some people sided with the customer, and agreed that what she discovered was ‘disgusting’.

‘This is literally high cholesterol, cardiovascular problems and heart disease in a measuring jug!’ One pointed out.

A second wrote: ‘Any mince I buy, I cook it, drain the fat and wash it under hot water then put it back in the pan and add all my flavours and spices.’

‘That is disgusting, half a kilo of fat – no value there,’ shared another.

If you want more tips on how to cook mince, you can check out our previous article here, or watch the video below:

Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer’s discovery after cooking a bulk pack of mince has sparked a divided reaction among social media users.
  • Many responded that the liquid was what gave the meat ‘flavour’ and shouldn’t be removed from the pan.
  • Others weren’t surprised to see this much liquid and fat from such a large amount of cooked mince.
  • Some sided with the customer, and said that the amount of fat is ‘disgusting’.
What about you, folks? Do you agree with the customer and think that much fat and liquid is disgusting? Or do you think it’s normal for the quantity of meat she bought? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I always give my mince a quick boil ( except for making burgers, meatballs ) and skim the fat off before use. Some mince has a huge amount of fat whilst others only have a small amount.

We all know that mince is a pretty versatile ingredient. You can cook it in so many different ways, and it's a great way to bulk up any meal while keeping costs down.

However, one customer recently bought mince from Coles and found something that left her feeling nauseated – it has since sparked a heated debate among social media users.

One shopper shared a photo in a popular Facebook group which left many social media users feeling ‘disgusted’.

In her accompanying post, she said that she was alarmed by the amount of ‘juice’ and fat that came from the mince she bought from Coles.

View attachment 9028

The customer said: ‘This is what I tipped out of it!’ And attached the image above, revealing the volume of liquid left behind after cooking the meat.

‘Not a markdown as such, but I did think I was saving a buck buying a family 1.8kg of mince from Coles,’ she wrote.

‘This was the CW Farms family value beef mince. Will never buy this again,’ she admitted, horrified by the liquid.

However, she was met with some interesting comments from her fellow shoppers – many of them didn’t share her sentiments.

Others were quick to argue that the liquid gave the mince ‘flavour’, and shouldn’t have been removed from the pan.

‘Y’all need to learn how to cook properly. That is 400 ml of flavour!’ Another pointed out.

View attachment 9027
The shopper’s post sparked a lively discussion on social media. Credit: Facebook

A third explained: ‘Well if you cooked mince with no fat, it would be like eating a leather shoe. It would be dry.’

‘First world problems! Seriously, that’s where the moisture and flavour come from. Don’t like it? Pay extra for the 99 per cent fat-free cr*p,’ someone wrote.

‘I’ll tell you now, your family won’t appreciate the dry, flavourless meal you make with it,’ another commented.

Some people weren’t surprised to see the amount of liquid and fat produced from the mince.

‘Mince is meant to have fat content. It also states on the package what fat content there is,’ explained one shopper.

Another agreed and said: ‘Whilst this looks disgusting, standard mince is actually about 20% fat. It’s normal.’

A third reassured the original poster and commented that it’s normal to find that amount of fat in mince. ‘Meat is flesh, it has water and fat naturally.’

‘Honestly, I can’t see anything wrong with it but if you cannot handle fat content, just spend the extra $1.50/kg and buy lean mince,’ said one more.

Some people sided with the customer, and agreed that what she discovered was ‘disgusting’.

‘This is literally high cholesterol, cardiovascular problems and heart disease in a measuring jug!’ One pointed out.

A second wrote: ‘Any mince I buy, I cook it, drain the fat and wash it under hot water then put it back in the pan and add all my flavours and spices.’

If you want more tips on how to cook mince, you can check out our previous article here, or watch the video below:

Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer’s discovery after cooking a bulk pack of mince has sparked a divided reaction among social media users.
  • Many responded that the liquid was what gave the meat ‘flavour’ and shouldn’t be removed from the pan.
  • Others weren’t surprised to see this much liquid and fat from such a large amount of cooked mince.
  • Some sided with the customer, and said that the amount of fat is ‘disgusting’.
What about you, folks? Do you agree with the customer and think that much fat and liquid is disgusting? Or do you think it’s normal for the quantity of meat she bought? Let us know in the comments below!

Yes, it's disgusting.
Think about what it's doing to your body long term. Thank you for posting Ally C.

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci

View attachment 9028

View attachment 9027

Key Takeaways

I would be horrified if I had all that fat in mince I cooked. A little fat, yes but not half a measuring jug of it. For one thing it’s bad for your health and I couldn’t stand that greasy feeling on my lips afterwards.
Heather

I expect a little fat in any meat I'm cooking but when it looks like the meat is swimming, that's where I draw the line. Once bitten and I'll never buy that meat again I object to paying for something that I'm going to have to discard as it's unusable. :mad:

Reactions: JayKay

View attachment 9028

View attachment 9027

Key Takeaways

Only around 100mls is actually fat. You can see it floating on top of about 280mls of liquid. Not as bad as it's made out to be. The liquid would cook off and the remaining fat could be solidified overnight on the mince and mostly lifted off the next morning giving you the most perfectly moistened meat. Easy.

View attachment 9028

View attachment 9027

Key Takeaways

Mince comes in different grades 2 to 5 while 2 has more fat and 5 has less I use 2 and 3 for spaghetti adds flavour simple if you have heart problems or cholesterol problems you would buy 5 less fat simple 😉

I use lean mince mainly because if I use fatty mince I end up with a serious gut ache.

Reactions: Ricci
It is best you don't eat meat as they have fat even white meat like pork or chicken. Oh, fish is fatty too.
Maybe just take vegetables.

Reactions: Ricci