Coles' shocking change to half-price deals affects millions—Are you one of them?

The times we live in don't offer us a lot of advantages, but one thing we are grateful for is the rise of online shopping and delivery services—especially with the price of petrol being so high these days.

It's just so convenient; you can easily go online, browse the store's selection, and decide when it's best for you for the order to arrive.

However, even though online shopping offers convenience, it also comes with some potential pitfalls.

And now, Coles has recently found itself in hot water after making changes that will affect millions, leaving disgruntled customers frustrated.

Up until now, customers who used popular delivery services (such as Uber Eats and DoorDash) to get their groceries received the same prices as those who bought in-store, with all specials and discounts still being applied.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 091209.png
Coles removed their half-price buys offering through Uber Eats and DoorDash. Image: Coles

However, Coles confirmed that customers using these delivery platforms will no longer be able to take advantage of those special in-store prices.

According to the supermarket, this change will now ‘fairly’ reflect the convenience offered by these delivery services.

It is understood that the recent change is in line with the common practice other retailers use in their businesses, particularly those using the same delivery service platforms.

This news didn't go over very well with customers, especially those who rely heavily on online grocery shopping due to medical conditions that make it hard to go out to the store or those who are already on a tighter budget.

The frustrated customers took to social media to share their experiences and express their dislikes about the change.

‘Just a public service to everyone who orders Coles through Uber Eats!’ one shared.

‘I’ve been using this service for my groceries for months. The prices were whatever the price was at Coles. The driver always gave you the Coles receipt.’

‘Now all the prices have been increased...some very dramatically! Example, the coffee sachets I get on sale for $3.80—charged $9 through Uber Eats,’ they added.

‘I know that most other businesses have different prices there, but Coles was always the same prices.’

‘Just letting anyone know in case they get an adjusted bill like I did for a big grocery shop!’

One wrote: ‘Wow, I really don’t know how to put into words the anger that I feel after seeing the price hikes by Coles on DoorDash, how disgusting.’

‘As someone who mostly relies on online shopping due to disability, I often find it easier to do small shops on DoorDash. I went on to order a few things tonight to find ridiculous price hikes,’ they expressed.

‘Thank you so much Coles for making it even harder for pensioners to get by.’

Another wrote: 'Why have you taken away specials and raised your already extreme prices on the DoorDash app? This was my go to for shopping because it's so convenient. But the fact that you no longer match in-store prices and don't have specials on there is absolutely insane considering how big of a profit you turn!'

In response, a Coles spokesperson confirmed that those using Coles Online would still be able to take advantage of the in-store prices and shared a bit more info on the delivery options available.

‘We have made a decision to adjust the price of products available through on-demand delivery platforms Uber Eats and DoorDash,’ the spokesperson said.

‘This change reflects the convenience these services offer, allowing our customers in predominantly metro areas to order last minute groceries and have them delivered in a short time frame.’

‘These on-demand partner delivery services complement our Coles Online services which offer the same in-store pricing as our supermarkets.’

‘Coles Online offers include free for orders over $50, free delivery for orders over $250, $2 mid-week delivery (available Tuesday-Thursday) and customers in selected locations can also access Coles Rapid delivery service for $15 with a minimum spend of $30 to purchase products at the same price as our supermarkets,’ the spokesperson explained.

coles_delivery_options.jpg
Source: Coles

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket has altered its pricing strategy, no longer offering the same in-store discounts to customers who shop via Uber Eats and DoorDash.
  • This change has sparked a backlash from disgruntled customers on social media who have noticed price increases on these platforms.
  • In response to the controversy, a Coles spokesperson has stated that the price change reflects the convenience these delivery services offer.
  • The spokesperson also confirmed that Coles Online customers will still have access to in-store prices and offers.

What do you think of this story? Will you be affected by Coles’ removal of their half-price buys in some online services? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
The times we live in don't offer us a lot of advantages, but one thing we are grateful for is the rise of online shopping and delivery services—especially with the price of petrol being so high these days.

It's just so convenient; you can easily go online, browse the store's selection, and decide when it's best for you for the order to arrive.

However, even though online shopping offers convenience, it also comes with some potential pitfalls.

And now, Coles has recently found itself in hot water after making changes that will affect millions, leaving disgruntled customers frustrated.

Up until now, customers who used popular delivery services (such as Uber Eats and DoorDash) to get their groceries received the same prices as those who bought in-store, with all specials and discounts still being applied.

View attachment 37394
Coles removed their half-price buys offering through Uber Eats and DoorDash. Image: Coles

However, Coles confirmed that customers using these delivery platforms will no longer be able to take advantage of those special in-store prices.

According to the supermarket, this change will now ‘fairly’ reflect the convenience offered by these delivery services.

It is understood that the recent change is in line with the common practice other retailers use in their businesses, particularly those using the same delivery service platforms.

This news didn't go over very well with customers, especially those who rely heavily on online grocery shopping due to medical conditions that make it hard to go out to the store or those who are already on a tighter budget.

The frustrated customers took to social media to share their experiences and express their dislikes about the change.

‘Just a public service to everyone who orders Coles through Uber Eats!’ one shared.

‘I’ve been using this service for my groceries for months. The prices were whatever the price was at Coles. The driver always gave you the Coles receipt.’

‘Now all the prices have been increased...some very dramatically! Example, the coffee sachets I get on sale for $3.80—charged $9 through Uber Eats,’ they added.

‘I know that most other businesses have different prices there, but Coles was always the same prices.’

‘Just letting anyone know in case they get an adjusted bill like I did for a big grocery shop!’

One wrote: ‘Wow, I really don’t know how to put into words the anger that I feel after seeing the price hikes by Coles on DoorDash, how disgusting.’

‘As someone who mostly relies on online shopping due to disability, I often find it easier to do small shops on DoorDash. I went on to order a few things tonight to find ridiculous price hikes,’ they expressed.

Another wrote: 'Why have you taken away specials and raised your already extreme prices on the DoorDash app? This was my go to for shopping because it's so convenient. But the fact that you no longer match in-store prices and don't have specials on there is absolutely insane considering how big of a profit you turn!'

In response, a Coles spokesperson confirmed that those using Coles Online would still be able to take advantage of the in-store prices and shared a bit more info on the delivery options available.

‘We have made a decision to adjust the price of products available through on-demand delivery platforms Uber Eats and DoorDash,’ the spokesperson said.

‘This change reflects the convenience these services offer, allowing our customers in predominantly metro areas to order last minute groceries and have them delivered in a short time frame.’

‘These on-demand partner delivery services complement our Coles Online services which offer the same in-store pricing as our supermarkets.’

‘Coles Online offers include free for orders over $50, free delivery for orders over $250, $2 mid-week delivery (available Tuesday-Thursday) and customers in selected locations can also access Coles Rapid delivery service for $15 with a minimum spend of $30 to purchase products at the same price as our supermarkets,’ the spokesperson explained.

View attachment 37414

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket has altered its pricing strategy, no longer offering the same in-store discounts to customers who shop via Uber Eats and DoorDash.
  • This change has sparked a backlash from disgruntled customers on social media who have noticed price increases on these platforms.
  • In response to the controversy, a Coles spokesperson has stated that the price change reflects the convenience these delivery services offer.
  • The spokesperson also confirmed that Coles Online customers will still have access to in-store prices and offers.

What do you think of this story? Will you be affected by Coles’ removal of their half-price buys in some online services? Let us know in the comments below!
Just another way to increase their profits 📈 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

View attachment 37394

View attachment 37414

Key Takeaways

View attachment 37394

View attachment 37414

Key Takeaways

I definately will be affected by this price rise, they seem to think money goes on trees, well it doesn't. In future I will endeavour to go to the store itself and take a taxi home. I will definately be making a saving this way. Pensioners receive an increase OK but does that cover the increase in food, loan repayments, electricity and gas payments etc,etc, etc.no it doesn't, done they have brains in their head or do sit on them?

View attachment 37394

View attachment 37414

Key Takeaways

I'm a pensioner and don't use delivery services as I don't trust anyone else to choose my groceries.

I definately will be affected by this price rise, they seem to think money goes on trees, well it doesn't. In future I will endeavour to go to the store itself and take a taxi home. I will definately be making a saving this way. Pensioners receive an increase OK but does that cover the increase in food, loan repayments, electricity and gas payments etc,etc, etc.no it doesn't, done they have brains in their head or do sit on them?
It only applies to non-Coles delivery - it wouldn't affect you unles syou use these externals.

They don't have a brain.... those that do are addeld.

Why don't you just get it delivered by Coles then you can still get the half price specials. Simple. Just

Reactions: Liz

View attachment 37394

View attachment 37414

Key Takeaways

If I can't pick it up myself, I'll not bother

View attachment 37394

View attachment 37414

Key Takeaways

I agree with that as discounts are basically lost leaders to get people into the store where they will often buy stuff not on the shopping list .
Perhaps a concussions for those who , because of age/health cannot get to the store easily . That just opened another can of worms .
Personally ; I prefer to shop in store so I can take advantage of dated discounts for diary/meat and anything else I can find as long as I need it , and will use it . It's nothing for me to pick up 6-8 litres of milk at 40-50% off --- will last several weeks in a well managed fridge

Reactions: croz
It's the price you pay for the added convenience.
Just think ahead and use Coles delivery, if you can get it.
Where I live there is a Coles and Woolworths store. But only Woollies deliver. 🤷

Bugga ; hard to edit a post here --- just realized it does not effect good delivered by Coles so what the problem . Seems a BIG head line about nothing for duckin sake

I agree with that as discounts are basically lost leaders to get people into the store where they will often buy stuff not on the shopping list .
Perhaps a concussions for those who , because of age/health cannot get to the store easily . That just opened another can of worms .
Personally ; I prefer to shop in store so I can take advantage of dated discounts for diary/meat and anything else I can find as long as I need it , and will use it . It's nothing for me to pick up 6-8 litres of milk at 40-50% off --- will last several weeks in a well managed fridge
I'm not too sure if the people who have difficulty getting to the store would appreciate a "concussion"probably prefer a concession.
By the way it's a loss leader, not lost

Think your spell check is playing games with you, lol

Reactions: Ezzy
Why not just organise your life to use Coles own delivery service. Why do people need so many options is beyond me.
I didn't even know you could get door dash to pick up your groceries and deliver to you for less than Coles.Frankly I don't use either,but what business is it ho Coles who is picking up your groceries and taking them home for you????Are they not still selling you groceries and making a profit???

I am not affected by this but it does seem unreasonable.

DEFINITELY DONE AT A TIME TO INFLICT THE MOST GRIEF, TWO WEEKS OUT FROM CHRISTMAS.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU COLES???

I haven't seen this option available from my Coles delivery so won't affect me. Just plan ahead and get a delivery fee that is lower on the day that suits me. I am still grateful that Coles hasn't put the minimum spend up from $50 like Woolworths has to $75. I am grateful for small mercies.