Coles shocker: Scales disappear from self-serve registers, leaving shoppers weighing their options!

In a world where technology is constantly evolving, even our routine trip to the supermarket is not immune to change.

For many, the self-serve checkout is a modern convenience that can be both a blessing and a source of frustration.

However, hold onto your hats, because Coles is rolling out a change that might just revolutionise the way we shop.

Recently, a Coles customer in Perth sparked a lively debate after noticing that the new self-serve registers at the Mosman Park store had no scales in the bagging area.

This is a significant departure from the traditional setup, where scales would detect the weight of the scanned item to prevent theft and ensure accuracy.

The change raised eyebrows and questions alike.

Could this lead to an increase in shoplifting, as some social media users speculated? Or is it a step towards a more streamlined and efficient shopping experience?

compressed-shutterstock_1504420667.jpeg
Coles introduced the new ‘Skip Scan’ camera technology, which eliminates the need for ‘weighted intervention’. Credits: Shutterstock

Coles stepped in to clarify that the absence of scales is not an oversight but a deliberate move towards a high-tech solution.

The supermarket giant has introduced 'Skip Scan' camera technology, which renders the old 'weighted intervention' system obsolete.

This new tech is designed to detect any accidental or intentional wrong scans, thereby eliminating the need for scales and, in theory, speeding up the checkout process.

‘While most of our customers do the right thing, unfortunately a small number don’t,’ a spokesperson said.

‘Coles has a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores including CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS), and in some stores, new skip scan technology is being introduced which can detect if there are any accidental or intentional wrong scans.’

‘This technology removes the need for the weighted intervention, and will make the checkout process quicker and easier for most customers,’ they added.

It is estimated that Skip Scan technology is currently implemented in approximately 250 Coles stores.

The customer who first noticed the change described the store as 'very fancy,' with amenities like fresh pasta by the gram and a bread slicing machine for customer use.

‘The AI cameras must be next level there, because you can put something in your bag you haven’t paid for as nothing is weighed,’ the shopper said.

‘I haven’t seen this before, except at the self-serve with a conveyor belt. The store was renovated last year and is unsurprisingly very fancy (they have fresh pasta by the gram in the fridge and a bread slicing machine anyone can use).’

‘I’m not sure if the lack of scales at the checkout is going to become common with newly renovated stores, like the one in Floreat when it’s finally done, or if it’s just a Golden Triangle thing.’

‘At the exit they have the tall beeper things (my brain is broken) like at Kmart etc but no gates. Note: they still weigh produce of course,’ the customer added.

However, not everyone is thrilled with the new system. Some shoppers have found the technology to be a hindrance.

‘Well, it’s not almost every store, but you’re right that there’s a lot already. And they’re a massive pain in the a***,’ one commented.

They said they were not a fan of being flagged for seemingly innocuous actions like holding a basket in hand, or using their own bags.

‘I prefer the weight-based ones, I only had a 50/50 chance of needing to wave down an employee,’ another agreed.

‘Now, with the cameras, I need an employee every time, because I dare to shop elsewhere first, but these things assume that everything in the trolley is stock.’

These comments were also highlighted by another customer who documented her frustration over an incident involving these trolleys last year, and posted it on social media.

This technology was first trialled at the United Kingdom supermarket Tesco last year.

While this has not been implemented for so long, it is important to stay vigilant regarding problems this new feature might cause.
Key Takeaways
  • A Coles customer noticed that the new self-serve registers at a Perth store no longer have scales in the bagging area.
  • The introduction of 'Skip Scan' camera technology eliminates the need for 'weighted intervention'.
  • Some customers expressed concerns about potential theft and inconvenience due to the new technology.
  • Despite mixed reactions, Coles started implementing new anti-theft measures, including Skip Scan technology now used in around 250 stores.
Have you encountered these new self-serve checkouts at Coles? What has your experience been like? Do you find them more efficient, or do you miss the old scales?

Share your thoughts and stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
It must have cost these companies millions of dollars for all this technology. The cost of replacing humans doesn't come cheap. Makes you wonder if it's really worth it.
Well obviously not as I’ve been reading about supermarkets in the USA and GB going back to having manned checkouts and using self checkouts for minimum amounts. 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: Davmes
I don't use self service ! If the store invites me in to spend money they can bloody well give me a little service !
I have left a full basket and walked out when service was not available . Yep; then someone had to put it all back on the shelf while I shopped elsewhere

So weight is determined without weighing a bunch of loose items? Is Coles trying to render gravity obsolete? The only thing that will become obsolete is the Coles customer. David Attenborough can make a future installment of Planet Earth called "The World's Most Endangered Species - The Coles Shopper".

Maybe I read too quickly and missed the point, but this whole concept reeks of stupidity.

So... if the product is sold by weight, how is that determined?
Sounds to me it could be a windfall for customers if they get home and weigh each product they buy and if they have been overcharged then they can take it back, get a refund, and keep the product for free!

Reactions: Davmes
I've heard no reports to say this technology has made any difference. We, the cutomers pay for this extra security and for the theft. Self service and hopefully less theft, when do the prices start to reflect this, or is just another excuse to increase profits. They save but we don't.

Reactions: maherdj
I will just get all my weighed items free to boot and wander the store for other items at my leisure. Let them have the hassle.

If they want me to do their bloody work, then they should pay me. Give me the checkout chick any day, not only that, they will slowly get rid of the workers then they end up on the dole and looking for work, go back to the good old service with a smile, not these bloody machines.

I don't use self service ! If the store invites me in to spend money they can bloody well give me a little service !
I have left a full basket and walked out when service was not available . Yep; then someone had to put it all back on the shelf while I shopped elsewhere
ditto... I will wait in a queue for a reasonable time and then just walk out leaving my shopping for them to sort out...same as the phones. I will wait no more than 3 or 4 minutes and hang up...we should all do that

Reactions: Harro1948
I've heard no reports to say this technology has made any difference. We, the cutomers pay for this extra security and for the theft. Self service and hopefully less theft, when do the prices start to reflect this, or is just another excuse to increase profits. They save but we don't.
they will NEVER remove their shoplifting component from their pricing...why would they

Well if anything it MIGHT speed up the whole checkout system as it is annoying when those scales play up and either don't recognize a light item or play up because something isn't on it right.
Now all they need to do is stop it being so rude & arrogant and cut out the 'do you wish to continue' pop up.