Coles set to slash prices on dozens of items this month

These days everything seems expensive.

Australians are caught in the middle of a cost-of-living crisis, and the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) has addressed this partly by enforcing an interest rate hike.

While in the long run, this move is expected to clamp down on record high inflation causing equally high living costs, for the coming weeks many are left with no choice but to take things on the chin.

On the grocery shopping front, one way people can save money is through loyalty programs.

Enter Coles, which recently announced that it is reintroducing its Flybuys member deals on select items to take a bit of the edge off Australian budgets.

According to reports, more than 20 items will see lower prices in the coming weeks, including staples such as yoghurt, chicken schnitzels, and juice.

A representative for Coles said this recent move essentially widens the number of items special rates moving forward.

photo-1604719312566-8912e9227c6a.jpg
Putting food on the table was a top concern of Aussies in a Canstar poll released in 2022. Image Credit: Unsplash

‘These discounts on a wide range of products, from dinner essentials like RSPCA Chicken Breast Schnitzel… make it even more valuable to scan your Flybuys in-store at Coles during the weekly shop,’ said Coles Chief Executive of Commercial and Express Leah Weckert.

‘We have seen our customers turn to rewards programs in these hard times to help them save for anything from kitchen products to overseas trips.’

‘This new range of Flybuys Member Pricing joins our successful Dropped & Locked campaign in taking the pressure off Aussie families by reducing the cost of everyday items and getting the household budget to stretch further.’

For the next month, other products Coles shoppers could nab for cheaper include Coles Brand Scotch Fillet Steak and Pork & Beef 3-Star Mince Bolognese.

The retail giant also recently confirmed that it would be extending its Dropped and Locked price freeze program which was initially set to end on January 31.

Aussies can expect more affordable prices at Coles under the program until April for most items, while some reach until May and July.

Anna Lee, CEO of Flybuys, said the move would put ‘some power back’ into the ‘hands and wallets’ of around 8.6 million Aussies.

Screenshot_10.png
Coles extended its Dropped & Locked promo much to the delight of many shoppers. Image Credit: Coles

Meanwhile, rival Woolworths, whose discount offering on certain products lapsed late last December, moved to freeze the prices of around 300 summer staples as an incentive for customers.

It remains to be seen how Coles, Woolworths, and other retail giants will adjust moving forward considering some experts have forecast further interest rate hikes on the horizon for Australia — as high as 3.85 per cent by the end of 2023.

Experts have previously pointed out that moves such as Coles prove to be a silver lining for Aussie consumers as it spurs competitors to also offer attractive deals.

Key Takeaways
  • Coles will reintroduce Flybuys member deals this week, slashing prices on more than 20 items for the next month to combat cost of living woes.
  • The discounts include popular chicken schnitzels, yoghurt, and juice.
  • The new deals are on top of Coles’ Dropped & Locked price freeze programs, which have other grocery items subject to special rates for a fixed period of time.
  • Flybuys CEO Anna Lee said the move will help put 'some power back into our members' hands and wallets'.
‘We have a highly competitive food and grocery market here in Australia,’ consumer expert Prof Gary Mortimer said early last month.

‘I think… consumers will become more cognisant and aware of food and grocery prices. That’s going to encourage all… supermarkets to compete heavily on prices and promotion.’

So, what are your thoughts on this development from Coles? Do you think it would be enough to encourage you to shop more, or will you still keep a tight grip on grocery spending for the time being?

Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Not me, only sausages and mince sometimes. Usual meals consist of one sausage, some potatoes, broccoli and carrot. Or spaghetti or rice with the mince and sauces or soft taco with mince, cheese green leaves.
on a pension, given it’s a 180km to the shops and back, there isn’t much left after fuel. So shopping is once each 2 or 3 months

Australians are caught in the middle of a cost-of-living crisis, and the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) has addressed this partly by enforcing an interest rate hike.

While in the long run, this move is expected to clamp down on record high inflation causing equally high living costs, for the coming weeks many are left with no choice but to take things on the chin.

On the grocery shopping front, one way people can save money is through loyalty programs.

Enter Coles, which recently announced that it is reintroducing its Flybuys member deals on select items to take a bit of the edge off Australian budgets.

According to reports, more than 20 items will see lower prices in the coming weeks, including staples such as yoghurt, chicken schnitzels, and juice.

A representative for Coles said this recent move essentially widens the number of items special rates moving forward.

View attachment 13545
Putting food on the table was a top concern of Aussies in a Canstar poll released in 2022. Image Credit: Unsplash

‘These discounts on a wide range of products, from dinner essentials like RSPCA Chicken Breast Schnitzel… make it even more valuable to scan your Flybuys in-store at Coles during the weekly shop,’ said Coles Chief Executive of Commercial and Express Leah Weckert.

‘We have seen our customers turn to rewards programs in these hard times to help them save for anything from kitchen products to overseas trips.’

‘This new range of Flybuys Member Pricing joins our successful Dropped & Locked campaign in taking the pressure off Aussie families by reducing the cost of everyday items and getting the household budget to stretch further.’

For the next month, other products Coles shoppers could nab for cheaper include Coles Brand Scotch Fillet Steak and Pork & Beef 3-Star Mince Bolognese.

The retail giant also recently confirmed that it would be extending its Dropped and Locked price freeze program which was initially set to end on January 31.

Aussies can expect more affordable prices at Coles under the program until April for most items, while some reach until May and July.

Anna Lee, CEO of Flybuys, said the move would put ‘some power back’ into the ‘hands and wallets’ of around 8.6 million Aussies.

View attachment 13544
Coles extended its Dropped & Locked promo much to the delight of many shoppers. Image Credit: Coles

Meanwhile, rival Woolworths, whose discount offering on certain products lapsed late last December, moved to freeze the prices of around 300 summer staples as an incentive for customers.

It remains to be seen how Coles, Woolworths, and other retail giants will adjust moving forward considering some experts have forecast further interest rate hikes on the horizon for Australia — as high as 3.85 per cent by the end of 2023.

Experts have previously pointed out that moves such as Coles prove to be a silver lining for Aussie consumers as it spurs competitors to also offer attractive deals.

Key Takeaways

• Coles will reintroduce Flybuys member deals this week, slashing prices on more than 20 items for the next month to combat cost of living woes.
  • The new deals are on top of Coles’ Dropped & Locked price freeze programs, which have other grocery items subject to special rates for a fixed period of time.
  • Flybuys CEO Anna Lee said the move will help put 'some power back into our members' hands and wallets'.
‘We have a highly competitive food and grocery market here in Australia,’ consumer expert Prof Gary Mortimer said early last month.

‘I think… consumers will become more cognisant and aware of food and grocery prices. That’s going to encourage all… supermarkets to compete heavily on prices and promotion.’

So, what are your thoughts on this development from Coles? Do you think it would be enough to encourage you to shop more, or will you still keep a tight grip on grocery spending for the time being?

Whilst grocery bills are on the rise, inspite competing supermarkets creating price freeze for limited periods. We all rush and sometimes buy what are not necessary, because of those price freezes. I understand that 10 cent price drop costs these supermarkets something like a $1m. Hopwever onthe flipside, they increase other products like 50cents to $5. Look at cooking oil proces these days, just imagine the amount they are making out of these price hikes. Yes they do have to pay their supplier/manufacturers the new prices for these goods. But the bottom line is, these supermarkets are technically not offering any savings in the consumers' pockets, they only look after their shareholders.

Maybe consumers, need to develop better buying habits. Understand what are their essentials they need and understand the shelf life of these products. Perhaps then take advantage of those so called "price freezes". Personally I make some savings on such products. As a retiree, I ensure that my dollar stretches.

Not me, only sausages and mince sometimes. Usual meals consist of one sausage, some potatoes, broccoli and carrot. Or spaghetti or rice with the mince and sauces or soft taco with mince, cheese green leaves.
on a pension, given it’s a 180km to the shops and back, there isn’t much left after fuel. So shopping is once each 2 or 3 months
Could you ask a busdriver, maybe, to pick up your groceries after you have ordered them? Give him a few bucks, gotta be cheaper..

Wow that must be hard only getting to the shops every or 3 months, makes me realize how lucky I am living in an inner city suburb of Melbourne being able to pop to the shops whenever I need. It must take careful planning and discipline to manage in between shops. But living on a farm although a sometimes hard life must also bring its own rewards, the peace and tranqulity of country life ☺

I buy what I need, especially when on sale I then buy-up like pet foods. I also wait until after 5.00pm every Monday to check the stores Internet sites for their up-coming catalogues. I have noticed that Coles have 'deliberately' only allowed certain number of pages of their catalogues so customers no longer see all catalogue items on sale. The stores also place other items on sale each week which are not in the catalogue. If I need those items I check the sites to see if on sale that week and which store. If needed, I then purchase it. I also check to see if the whole fresh chickens are on sale per kilo. Steggle's are the best as larger chickens, then Ingam's which are both Woollies. I buy then buy a few whole fresh chickens when on sale for about $3.50-$5.00 p/kilo and get them home, cut them up and deskin. Getting chicken tenderloins for $3.50-$5.00 is a bargain.

I also, freeze in portions and use the Multix freezer bags. The store brans are cheap and fail. Spending money on food is expensive enough. Cooking up meals as well and adding veggies, sauces, spice/herbs, stocks .. to make the dish also increase the cost of the meal. So, it's good quality freezer bags and good quality baking paper as well.

Treats are few and far between but a few times a year I treat myself to chocolate. When half price and then 10% Woolworths Extra Rewards off that as well. Well, I think why not this month like Cadbury was $2.75 a block last week specials. So, I purchased 10 and with the 10% off, one ended up being free.

I would arrange with a few neighbours that you shop together and share the petrol and use of car, Or, each take turns driving in and collecting for everyone and then arrange to meet near your driveway when you know you are ten minutes from your house. Pull over and call them to meet you. This in case they are a number of km's away. Better to meet up at a driveway/property entrance. Everyone have the coolers ready for meat/milk, cream, ice cream items to go into a cooler. All chip-in for a car fridge for extremely hot days. Also, do what I do with fresh whole chickens and get them on sale per kilo $3.50-$5.00 p/k and when home cut up and deskin yourself and freeze in portions. Also, always check Woollies deli counter as drumsticks usually on sale as well all the time. Just invest in the Multix Freezer bags small, medium & large. Do not buy the cheap stores ones. They are cheap for a reason. They break and fail.

View attachment 13545

View attachment 13544

Key Takeaways

Have people noticed that when you look at the brochure the majority of things on special are lollies, chocolate, chips, soft drinks etc. Stuff that is a discretionary buy in this household and not something that I would regard as essential food for the weekly shop.

and for those with food sensitivities rare ever get any discounts, so they are not helped at all. Their staples are not considered which are generally more costly more than other.

Reactions: Jenny07
Could you ask a busdriver, maybe, to pick up your groceries after you have ordered them? Give him a few bucks, gotta be cheaper..
Great idea. To get a package delivered on the bus is about half the fare and 2/3 the fuel cost and I can come home when I am finished or tired or not well. But a good idea, thanks.

I would arrange with a few neighbours that you shop together and share the petrol and use of car, Or, each take turns driving in and collecting for everyone and then arrange to meet near your driveway when you know you are ten minutes from your house. Pull over and call them to meet you. This in case they are a number of km's away. Better to meet up at a driveway/property entrance. Everyone have the coolers ready for meat/milk, cream, ice cream items to go into a cooler. All chip-in for a car fridge for extremely hot days. Also, do what I do with fresh whole chickens and get them on sale per kilo $3.50-$5.00 p/k and when home cut up and deskin yourself and freeze in portions. Also, always check Woollies deli counter as drumsticks usually on sale as well all the time. Just invest in the Multix Freezer bags small, medium & large. Do not buy the cheap stores ones. They are cheap for a reason. They break and fail.
Now this is a really great idea. When I lived In Jindivick years ago, Mr. Pretty would ring about or you went in with your shopping list and the goods delivered the next day for the whole community. Always correct and good stuff. I miss Lorna and Jack as they always looked out for the new people in the community. They connected people together who had skills you needed and just folk to chat with.