Coles puts a damper on flower sales with ‘confusing’ use-by dates policy

Picture this: You're browsing the floral section of your local Coles and spot a gorgeous bunch of lilies marked down to half price. Score!

You eagerly take them to the checkout, only to be met with a surprising response from the cashier. 'I'm sorry, I can't sell you these,' they say.

'Wait, what?' You're thinking. You double-check the price tag, and sure enough, they're discounted. So why can't you buy them?

As it turns out, the flowers had exceeded their use-by date, and the cashier was simply following Coles' policy of not selling expired products.

Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 12.05.48 PM.png
A shopper was denied the opportunity to buy flowers at Coles because they'd passed their use-by date. Credit: Facebook.

Now, we can understand the need to ensure that customers are buying fresh, safe-to-use products. But if the flowers still look and smell great, what's the harm in offering them at a discount? We think it's a missed opportunity for both the store and the customer.

It's not just us feeling a bit confused by this policy, either. One shopper recently shared her frustration on social media after being denied the chance to purchase some discounted lilies that had exceeded their use-by date.

We can't help but feel for her - half-price flowers are hard to pass up!

In a rant posted on the store's Facebook page, she expressed her disbelief at the policy and questioned why it was necessary.

'I didn't know whether to laugh or cry,' she shared. 'It's insane, just insane.' She went on to suggest that the policy would only make sense if she wanted to eat the flowers, which we can all agree is pretty unlikely.

Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 12.05.43 PM.png
The shopper described the policy as 'insane', and fellow shoppers agreed, calling it a waste to throw the flowers away. Credit: Unsplash/Zoe Schaeffer.

It seems like she's not alone in her frustration. Several people took to social media to express their disappointment at the wastefulness of throwing away perfectly good flowers just because they had passed their use-by date.

One commenter summed it up perfectly, saying, 'Such a waste.' Others went on to comment and say that the decision was quite 'rude'.

We can't help but agree. In a world where we're constantly reminded to reduce our waste and be mindful of our impact on the environment, it seems counterintuitive to throw away perfectly good flowers.

Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 12.05.38 PM.png
Coles does not have a uniform policy regarding flowers being given away after their use-by date, and decisions are made at the discretion of individual stores. Credit: Facebook.

Talk about a mixed bag of experiences at Coles! On the one hand, we have a shopper who was denied the chance to purchase some discounted flowers that had exceeded their use-by date.

On the other hand, we have another shopper who scored not one, not two, but three bunches of blooms for free from Coles because they were all out of date.

According to the shopper, the staff only gave her the flowers on the condition that she wouldn't complain about their quality. 'As if I would go back and complain about getting FREE flowers, but this has happened to them before,' she shared on Facebook.

It's a bit confusing that Coles doesn't seem to have a uniform policy regarding flowers being given away after their use-by date. It appears that it's up to the discretion of individual stores, which can lead to mixed messages and experiences for customers.

But hey, we're not complaining about free flowers! If they still look and smell great, we say bring them on. And let's be real, who would complain about getting something for free, especially something as lovely as flowers?

All in all, it seems like Coles could benefit from a bit more consistency and clarity when it comes to its policies around flowers and their use-by dates.

But until then, we'll just have to cross our fingers and hope for the best when we spot a discounted bunch of blooms in our local branch.

Read about the shopper and her trick for getting free flowers from her local Coles here in this article!

Key Takeaways

• Shoppers at Coles have had mixed experiences with flowers that have exceeded their use-by date.
  • Some customers have been denied the chance to purchase discounted flowers, while others have scored free blooms on the condition they don't complain about their quality.
  • Coles does not appear to have a uniform policy on giving away flowers after their use-by date, leading to mixed messages and experiences for customers.

Flower lovers, listen up! If you're in the market for some beautiful blooms, aside from Coles, you might also want to head over to ALDI because shoppers are raving about the quality of their flowers.

In fact, some customers are saying that the roses they bought from the retail store lasted longer than those they bought from more expensive retailers.

Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 12.05.32 PM.png
A mum revealed her trick for getting free flowers from Coles - just ask the manager for permission to take out-of-date bunches. Credit: Facebook.

One happy shopper shared her experience on a popular Facebook group, posting a photo of her four-week-old ALDI roses that were still looking as fresh as ever. Can you believe it?

But wait, there's more! If you want to keep your flowers looking fresh for as long as possible, we've got some tips for you. Head over to this link for some expert advice on how to keep those blooms bloomin'!

Even our very own editor, @April Bradford, was blown away by the quality of ALDI's flowers and even more impressed by their incredible shelf life!

April decided to save one of the flower bouquets and take it home with her. And to her surprise, that little bloom ended up lasting for weeks!

Curious to know how she did it? Click on this link here to read all about her experience. Who knows, you might just be inspired to give ALDI flowers a try the next time you're in the market for some blooms!

Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 12.05.26 PM.png
Almost a week later, the flowers looked better than they did when April brought them home. Credit: April.

Coles and ALDI are both in the flower game, but it seems like customers are having very different experiences with the blooms. Some Coles customers have been denied the chance to purchase out-of-date flowers, while others have scored free bouquets.

Meanwhile, shoppers are raving about the quality of ALDI flowers, with some saying they last longer than those from more expensive retailers.

So, members, where's your go-to spot for buying flowers? Have you had any similar experiences with Coles or ALDI flowers? Let us know in the comments! And don't forget to share your tips for keeping your blooms looking beautiful for as long as possible - we all want our flowers to last as long as they can, don't we?

Sponsored
I purchase most of my requirements online from Coles, Often items especially dairy arrive on or past their use-by date or within a day or so and as their minimum delivery order is $50 it's not possible, being a housebound due to injury I cannot replace, yes they will refund if I complain but it doesn't answer my problem

Picture this: You're browsing the floral section of your local Coles and spot a gorgeous bunch of lilies marked down to half price. Score!

You eagerly take them to the checkout, only to be met with a surprising response from the cashier. 'I'm sorry, I can't sell you these,' they say.

'Wait, what?' You're thinking. You double-check the price tag, and sure enough, they're discounted. So why can't you buy them?

As it turns out, the flowers had exceeded their use-by date, and the cashier was simply following Coles' policy of not selling expired products.

View attachment 16741
A shopper was denied the opportunity to buy flowers at Coles because they'd passed their use-by date. Credit: Facebook.

Now, we can understand the need to ensure that customers are buying fresh, safe-to-use products. But if the flowers still look and smell great, what's the harm in offering them at a discount? We think it's a missed opportunity for both the store and the customer.

It's not just us feeling a bit confused by this policy, either. One shopper recently shared her frustration on social media after being denied the chance to purchase some discounted lilies that had exceeded their use-by date.

In a rant posted on the store's Facebook page, she expressed her disbelief at the policy and questioned why it was necessary.

'I didn't know whether to laugh or cry,' she shared. 'It's insane, just insane.' She went on to suggest that the policy would only make sense if she wanted to eat the flowers, which we can all agree is pretty unlikely.

View attachment 16742
The shopper described the policy as 'insane', and fellow shoppers agreed, calling it a waste to throw the flowers away. Credit: Unsplash/Zoe Schaeffer.

It seems like she's not alone in her frustration. Several people took to social media to express their disappointment at the wastefulness of throwing away perfectly good flowers just because they had passed their use-by date.

One commenter summed it up perfectly, saying, 'Such a waste.' Others went on to comment and say that the decision was quite 'rude'.

We can't help but agree. In a world where we're constantly reminded to reduce our waste and be mindful of our impact on the environment, it seems counterintuitive to throw away perfectly good flowers.

View attachment 16743
Coles does not have a uniform policy regarding flowers being given away after their use-by date, and decisions are made at the discretion of individual stores. Credit: Facebook.

Talk about a mixed bag of experiences at Coles! On the one hand, we have a shopper who was denied the chance to purchase some discounted flowers that had exceeded their use-by date.

On the other hand, we have another shopper who scored not one, not two, but three bunches of blooms for free from Coles because they were all out of date.

According to the shopper, the staff only gave her the flowers on the condition that she wouldn't complain about their quality. 'As if I would go back and complain about getting FREE flowers, but this has happened to them before,' she shared on Facebook.

It's a bit confusing that Coles doesn't seem to have a uniform policy regarding flowers being given away after their use-by date. It appears that it's up to the discretion of individual stores, which can lead to mixed messages and experiences for customers.

But hey, we're not complaining about free flowers! If they still look and smell great, we say bring them on. And let's be real, who would complain about getting something for free, especially something as lovely as flowers?

All in all, it seems like Coles could benefit from a bit more consistency and clarity when it comes to its policies around flowers and their use-by dates.

But until then, we'll just have to cross our fingers and hope for the best when we spot a discounted bunch of blooms in our local branch.

Read about the shopper and her trick for getting free flowers from her local Coles here in this article!

Key Takeaways

• Shoppers at Coles have had mixed experiences with flowers that have exceeded their use-by date.
  • Some customers have been denied the chance to purchase discounted flowers, while others have scored free blooms on the condition they don't complain about their quality.
  • Coles does not appear to have a uniform policy on giving away flowers after their use-by date, leading to mixed messages and experiences for customers.

Flower lovers, listen up! If you're in the market for some beautiful blooms, aside from Coles, you might also want to head over to ALDI because shoppers are raving about the quality of their flowers.

In fact, some customers are saying that the roses they bought from the retail store lasted longer than those they bought from more expensive retailers.

View attachment 16744
A mum revealed her trick for getting free flowers from Coles - just ask the manager for permission to take out-of-date bunches. Credit: Facebook.

One happy shopper shared her experience on a popular Facebook group, posting a photo of her four-week-old ALDI roses that were still looking as fresh as ever. Can you believe it?

But wait, there's more! If you want to keep your flowers looking fresh for as long as possible, we've got some tips for you. Head over to this link for some expert advice on how to keep those blooms bloomin'!

Even our very own editor, @April Bradford, was blown away by the quality of ALDI's flowers and even more impressed by their incredible shelf life!

April decided to save one of the flower bouquets and take it home with her. And to her surprise, that little bloom ended up lasting for weeks!

Curious to know how she did it? Click on this link here to read all about her experience. Who knows, you might just be inspired to give ALDI flowers a try the next time you're in the market for some blooms!

View attachment 16745
Almost a week later, the flowers looked better than they did when April brought them home. Credit: April.

Coles and ALDI are both in the flower game, but it seems like customers are having very different experiences with the blooms. Some Coles customers have been denied the chance to purchase out-of-date flowers, while others have scored free bouquets.

Meanwhile, shoppers are raving about the quality of ALDI flowers, with some saying they last longer than those from more expensive retailers.

So, members, where's your go-to spot for buying flowers? Have you had any similar experiences with Coles or ALDI flowers? Let us know in the comments! And don't forget to share your tips for keeping your blooms looking beautiful for as long as possible - we all want our flowers to last as long as they can, don't we?
I would just take them. If anyone complained I would tell them it's company policy to throw them 9out, so I am just doing it for you. And no, I won't be submitting a claim for my labour.

I purchase most of my requirements online from Coles, Often items especially dairy arrive on or past their use-by date or within a day or so and as their minimum delivery order is $50 it's not possible, being a housebound due to injury I cannot replace, yes they will refund if I complain but it doesn't answer my problem
That’s interesting about the flowers but I agree about dairy products. Last week I purchased 2 packs of Philly cheese from coles to make a cheese cake for the weekend. When I went to use them they were 5 weeks out of date. No cheese cake !!!
I returned them and it was like they didn’t believe me that they could be that long out of date even though I had a receipt. This is not good enough. Dairy products need to be checked every time new stock is added. I now check all products for use by dates

That’s interesting about the flowers but I agree about dairy products. Last week I purchased 2 packs of Philly cheese from coles to make a cheese cake for the weekend. When I went to use them they were 5 weeks out of date. No cheese cake !!!
I returned them and it was like they didn’t believe me that they could be that long out of date even though I had a receipt. This is not good enough. Dairy products need to be checked every time new stock is added. I now check all products for use by dates
Cream cheese packed and factory sealed in foil will last for many months past best by or use by date.

Cream cheese packed and factory sealed in foil will last for many months past best by or use by date.
If thats the case manufactures can just put a production date and we can work out for ourselves as to if it’s ok to use albeit in 6 to 12 months time! A use by date is gives the buyer at least a cut off. It also stops supermarkets getting rid stale and potentially dangerous out of date items!

View attachment 16741

View attachment 16742

View attachment 16743

Key Takeaways

View attachment 16744

View attachment 16745

About a year ago I was in Coles and came across beef mince and sausages marked down 50%, so the thrifty side of me loaded up my trolley with my bargains, I finished my shopping went to the checkout and the young lady said to me very nicely I’m so very sorry but I can’t sell you these items I say why not the young lady said because they are out of date and should have been taken of the shelves 2 days ago, you could get sick and I could lose my job selling them. But I wasn’t angry at all just happy she picked it up and saved me from possible food poisoning. The flowers on the other hand should never have had a use by date. Another issue I had with Woolies 14/2/23 my other half bought me some beautiful red roses $55 I put them in a vase the next day put them outside to get some fresh air but it rained that didn’t worry me as I thought they needed some fresh rain water when I went to get them in they were all white and the water was red. I phoned woolies manager she said my money would be refunded and she’d never heard of roses being dyed but they were. Unfortunately my man was a bit upset and said it’s thought that counts he said and wouldn’t let me take them back. So beware of white roses impersonating red ones especially on days likes Valentine’s Day.

There are clearly rules for people who a) can’t think for themselves, and b) will not take responsibility for their own actions and decisions. A “use by date” for flowers??!!
How about the use by date for table salt? Absolutely ridiculous and obviously determined by someone who doesn’t understand about dead flowers due to heat, lack of water, exposure to sun or air conditioning, etc.
And salt probably mined from an old deposit eg the trendy Himalayan salt.
Coles should rather give these items away and try to decrease the massive “food” waste

Reactions: Zoya and Jennie
There are clearly rules for people who a) can’t think for themselves, and b) will not take responsibility for their own actions and decisions. A “use by date” for flowers??!!
How about the use by date for table salt? Absolutely ridiculous and obviously determined by someone who doesn’t understand about dead flowers due to heat, lack of water, exposure to sun or air conditioning, etc.
And salt probably mined from an old deposit eg the trendy Himalayan salt.
Coles should rather give these items away and try to decrease the massive “food” waste
I didn't think salt had a use by date, just went and checked, the container I just finished expires July 24 and the new one expires same date. Bought 10 mths apart. A very large batch must have been made all at once.

Reactions: Zoya
If thats the case manufactures can just put a production date and we can work out for ourselves as to if it’s ok to use albeit in 6 to 12 months time! A use by date is gives the buyer at least a cut off. It also stops supermarkets getting rid stale and potentially dangerous out of date items!
Well, it worked without dates very successfully for many hundreds of years! People used their brains and their senses to tell if something was off or not. :)

Reactions: Zoya
After your article on ALDI'S cheap flowers, I went looking and none of the ALDI'S in my area (2 of them) had any flowers let alone cheap ones, maybe this is West Australian related.